Page 101 of 189 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 4718

Thread: Homosexuality & Politics in the 21st Century

  1. #2501
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Your basement
    Posts
    1,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    I wouldn't call it trolling. More like bringing up thoughts from a different perspective.
    But it would be nice if they could indicate that they are trying to see matters through the eyes of others, rather than leading us to think it is their own viewpoint.
    3DS FC (Pokemon X): 1848-1667-7668
    Friend safari is Ice with Snorunt, Beartic, and Cloyster. Looking for Dragon safaris, safaris with Whirlipede or Espurr, and Y-exclusive Mega Stones.

    Shiny Chains (D/P): Ralts, Magnemite, Beldum
    Targets: Shinx
    Shiny Chains (X/Y): None
    Targets: Clauncher/Clawitzer, Swirlix, Smeargle



  2. #2502
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Posts
    8,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skydra View Post
    But it would be nice if they could indicate that they are trying to see matters through the eyes of others, rather than leading us to think it is their own viewpoint.
    If people have followed me, or I believe even this thread, they would know my true point of view on gay marriage, I believe I have stated it multiple times throughout the years. More so when did I ever say it was "My view", the entire debate began with me just merely poking holes in theories.
    "No. I don't agree with him on a LOT of issues. Unlike most Republicans, who are blindly loyal to their party" ~ Maedar on Barack Obama

  3. #2503
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skydra View Post
    But it would be nice if they could indicate that they are trying to see matters through the eyes of others, rather than leading us to think it is their own viewpoint.
    To me that is the point of playing the devil's advocate. If you announce it, people will know that you honestly dont feel that way, but by keeping is quite you tend to get people to react naturally to what you are saying.

    B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

    Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

    Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229


  4. #2504
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    To me that is the point of playing the devil's advocate. If you announce it, people will know that you honestly dont feel that way, but by keeping is quite you tend to get people to react naturally to what you are saying.

    B
    That is almost the literal definition of trolling.

  5. #2505
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    715

    Default

    yup! which devil's advocate is just a fancy name for trolling

    B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

    Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

    Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229


  6. #2506
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Posts
    8,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eterna View Post
    That is almost the literal definition of trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85
    yup! which devil's advocate is just a fancy name for trolling

    B
    I would disagree with that, trolling is being offensive just to get a angry reaction out of people. Some of the things thrown at me when I was arguing some views would be considered trolling.

    On the other hand being a Devil's Advocate is to provide a reasonable voice of dissent in what is in many ways a echo chamber. I do not honestly believe any of the things I was saying would get a angry reaction ( Although some people misinterpreted my arguments in a extreme way ). I was merely providing a different voice to ideas provided and poking holes in certain problems that crept up in people's ideas.
    "No. I don't agree with him on a LOT of issues. Unlike most Republicans, who are blindly loyal to their party" ~ Maedar on Barack Obama

  7. #2507
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    14,490

    Default

    I hate it when people use the bible to condemn gay people. Seriously most of the people who I've heard say this have

    A. Never read the bible
    B. Go to church like once a year

    Seriously u are not religious if this applies to you -_-.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

  8. #2508
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Your basement
    Posts
    1,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    If people have followed me, or I believe even this thread, they would know my true point of view on gay marriage, I believe I have stated it multiple times throughout the years. More so when did I ever say it was "My view", the entire debate began with me just merely poking holes in theories.
    I was actually referring to the below user, not you, because in fact I did not really see your posts in which you were playing devil's advocate.
    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    To me that is the point of playing the devil's advocate. If you announce it, people will know that you honestly dont feel that way, but by keeping is quite you tend to get people to react naturally to what you are saying.

    B
    But just sporadically debating for a point you don't believe in doesn't necessarily help the debate. I'd prefer to debate a point with somebody who actually believes what they are saying.
    3DS FC (Pokemon X): 1848-1667-7668
    Friend safari is Ice with Snorunt, Beartic, and Cloyster. Looking for Dragon safaris, safaris with Whirlipede or Espurr, and Y-exclusive Mega Stones.

    Shiny Chains (D/P): Ralts, Magnemite, Beldum
    Targets: Shinx
    Shiny Chains (X/Y): None
    Targets: Clauncher/Clawitzer, Swirlix, Smeargle



  9. #2509
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Enterprise
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    I hate it when people use the bible to condemn gay people. Seriously most of the people who I've heard say this have

    A. Never read the bible
    B. Go to church like once a year

    Seriously u are not religious if this applies to you -_-.
    and what would u say to the people who dont do those things?
    cuz I:
    1) go twice a week
    2) have read it cover to cover multiple times.

    plus if they dont then they probably have some alterior motive to disagree.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

  10. #2510
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    I would disagree with that, trolling is being offensive just to get a angry reaction out of people. Some of the things thrown at me when I was arguing some views would be considered trolling.

    On the other hand being a Devil's Advocate is to provide a reasonable voice of dissent in what is in many ways a echo chamber. I do not honestly believe any of the things I was saying would get a angry reaction ( Although some people misinterpreted my arguments in a extreme way ). I was merely providing a different voice to ideas provided and poking holes in certain problems that crept up in people's ideas.
    I agree with what you said here. Only thing is that on the interwebs it is impossible to read any other aspect of communication outside of the words that are typed, so distinguishing between a troll and someone who is truly playing the devil's advocate is hard if not impossible.

    I should have made that clear in what I said.

    As for me personally, I will not in any way try to troll people on a topic like this. trolling, while funny at times, contributes nothing to this topic and only helps increase frustration

    Quote Originally Posted by Skydra View Post
    I was actually referring to the below user, not you, because in fact I did not really see your posts in which you were playing devil's advocate.


    But just sporadically debating for a point you don't believe in doesn't necessarily help the debate. I'd prefer to debate a point with somebody who actually believes what they are saying.
    If you are saying I am doing this I apologize, i thought I made my view perfectly clear and then was just trying to debate opposing sides to other peoples arguments

    Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    and what would u say to the people who dont do those things?
    cuz I:
    1) go twice a week
    2) have read it cover to cover multiple times.

    plus if they dont then they probably have some alterior motive to disagree.

    I was under the impression that your stance on the topic wasnt religiously motivated, if it is that is fine because I am not judging, simply asking for clarification.

    B
    Last edited by BJPalmer85; 16th November 2012 at 3:54 PM.
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

    Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

    Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229


  11. #2511
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Enterprise
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    I agree with what you said here. Only thing is that on the interwebs it is impossible to read any other aspect of communication outside of the words that are typed, so distinguishing between a troll and someone who is truly playing the devil's advocate is hard if not impossible.

    I should have made that clear in what I said.

    As for me personally, I will not in any way try to troll people on a topic like this. trolling, while funny at times, contributes nothing to this topic and only helps increase frustration



    If you are saying I am doing this I apologize, i thought I made my view perfectly clear and then was just trying to debate opposing sides to other peoples arguments




    I was under the impression that your stance on the topic wasnt religiously motivated, if it is that is fine because I am not judging, simply asking for clarification.

    B
    yes it is.
    but it is note purely "cuz the bible says so" cuz that is stupid.
    "an answer without a reason is meaningless" ~sherlock holmes
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

  12. #2512
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    yes it is.
    but it is note purely "cuz the bible says so" cuz that is stupid.
    "an answer without a reason is meaningless" ~sherlock holmes
    fair enough. I have no hate for people that use the bible or religion as the background of their views but i do disagree because to me for you to use religion in your argument, the person that you are arguing with has to be of the same religion or else it holds no weight. i say this because people will argue that gay people are trying to shove their view into other peoples face, in all honesty the same can be said about using religion in your argument, that you are shoving your religion in other peoples faces.

    I am not saying that about you, that is just my person opinion

    B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

    Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

    Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229


  13. #2513
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    14,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    and what would u say to the people who dont do those things?
    cuz I:
    1) go twice a week
    2) have read it cover to cover multiple times.

    plus if they dont then they probably have some alterior motive to disagree.
    I would one ask you how me being gay or being able to get married affects you in any way shape or form and go from there.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

  14. #2514
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Enterprise
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    I would one ask you how me being gay or being able to get married affects you in any way shape or form and go from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    fair enough. I have no hate for people that use the bible or religion as the background of their views but i do disagree because to me for you to use religion in your argument, the person that you are arguing with has to be of the same religion or else it holds no weight. i say this because people will argue that gay people are trying to shove their view into other peoples face, in all honesty the same can be said about using religion in your argument, that you are shoving your religion in other peoples faces.

    I am not saying that about you, that is just my person opinion

    B
    i appreciate that...i think.
    let me ask u this though. if the god i believe in exists, and the fact that i know that he will cast judgement. where would i be if i didnt warn of the impending destruction? it is up to u to heed it or not, but even in the eyes of the law, if i know that people are in danger and i didnt warn them then i would be at fault correct?
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

  15. #2515
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    i appreciate that...i think.
    let me ask u this though. if the god i believe in exists, and the fact that i know that he will cast judgement. where would i be if i didnt warn of the impending destruction? it is up to u to heed it or not, but even in the eyes of the law, if i know that people are in danger and i didnt warn them then i would be at fault correct?
    that is the word to consider. Believe, belief or faith. It all comes down to what you consider to be true. You may believe that, which is fine, but the person you are talking to may not so you have to take into consideration that they may not believe the same thing.

    You may believe that what they are doing is wrong and they may think other wise. Is it your right to tell them this? Sure it is, but it is also there right to tell you to **** off if they dont like what you are saying

    B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

    Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

    Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229


  16. #2516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    I would one ask you how me being gay or being able to get married affects you in any way shape or form and go from there.
    It doesn't....
    岩根雅明=♡

  17. #2517
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Enterprise
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    that is the word to consider. Believe, belief or faith. It all comes down to what you consider to be true. You may believe that, which is fine, but the person you are talking to may not so you have to take into consideration that they may not believe the same thing.

    You may believe that what they are doing is wrong and they may think other wise. Is it your right to tell them this? Sure it is, but it is also there right to tell you to **** off if they dont like what you are saying

    B
    it is their right and i have dealt with much worse then that. (being threatened at gunpoint, and i am not kidding about that)
    but i have one last question.
    what happens if i'm right?
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

  18. #2518
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    it is their right and i have dealt with much worse then that. (being threatened at gunpoint, and i am not kidding about that)
    but i have one last question.
    what happens if i'm right?
    That depends on your religion.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

  19. #2519
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle...ish
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post

    You are wrong. He can use religion all day to argue his point, because it is just that, his point. Religion influences his thoughts and beliefs so that is what he uses. Im guessing, solely off what you said, that you have no religious background, which is fine, but to tell someone that their arguments are invalid simply because they have some sort of faith in a higher power makes you a bigot. BTW i am in no way religious either.


    B
    This is kind of old now, but it's something I feel a need to respond to. Why he can't use religion is because religion governs religious institutions and ceremonies, so if he wanted to say it was against god's law to have two men marry in a church, sure, that's his prerogative. But I don't think he should use his religion to dictate the laws of secular government. I'm not saying his religion is ******** or anything, I respect the right of anyone to believe what they want, and I understand his faith informs his morality. However, his faith is irrelevant to the question of whether a civil marriage between two men or two women should be allowed or not. I guess this gets to the idea of the separation of church and state, and I'd like to know for sure his stance on that. I mean, I suspect I know where he stands, but I don't want to be a jerk and assume things that aren't true. If you think, though, like I do, that separation of church and state is vital to our democracy, and supported by the Constitution, then no religion has any business dictating what the government does.

  20. #2520
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    14,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    i appreciate that...i think.
    let me ask u this though. if the god i believe in exists, and the fact that i know that he will cast judgement. where would i be if i didnt warn of the impending destruction? it is up to u to heed it or not, but even in the eyes of the law, if i know that people are in danger and i didnt warn them then i would be at fault correct?
    Oh I'm christian and I do believe in god, but I'm also gay and choose to believe in the part of the bible that quite clearly preaches love for all people and that tells us that we shouldn't judge others and that only god has that right. I don't believe that god hates me for loving who I was born to love.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

  21. #2521
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    it is their right and i have dealt with much worse then that. (being threatened at gunpoint, and i am not kidding about that)
    but i have one last question.
    what happens if i'm right?
    If you are right than i guess we are all ****ed

    but if you are wrong....

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Quagsire View Post
    This is kind of old now, but it's something I feel a need to respond to. Why he can't use religion is because religion governs religious institutions and ceremonies, so if he wanted to say it was against god's law to have two men marry in a church, sure, that's his prerogative. But I don't think he should use his religion to dictate the laws of secular government. I'm not saying his religion is ******** or anything, I respect the right of anyone to believe what they want, and I understand his faith informs his morality. However, his faith is irrelevant to the question of whether a civil marriage between two men or two women should be allowed or not. I guess this gets to the idea of the separation of church and state, and I'd like to know for sure his stance on that. I mean, I suspect I know where he stands, but I don't want to be a jerk and assume things that aren't true. If you think, though, like I do, that separation of church and state is vital to our democracy, and supported by the Constitution, then no religion has any business dictating what the government does.
    You are right and I agree. Separation of church and state is vital and one of the main things our country is supported by. I also agree that it has no bearing in the argument about civil unions.

    B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

    Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

    Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229


  22. #2522
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    it is their right and i have dealt with much worse then that. (being threatened at gunpoint, and i am not kidding about that)
    but i have one last question.
    what happens if i'm right?
    Then everyone on this earth will burn in hell. Nobody on this planet is free from sin.

    But even if you are right, it isn't right to thrust your religion upon others. This guy says it best, albeit a little bit harshly. http://youtu.be/DKifAdn8HCQ#t=5m50s

  23. #2523
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Enterprise
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7 tyranitars View Post
    That depends on your religion.
    i am a christian.
    i would say the exact title but i think that u guys would hound on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Oh I'm christian and I do believe in god, but I'm also gay and choose to believe in the part of the bible that quite clearly preaches love for all people and that tells us that we shouldn't judge others and that only god has that right. I don't believe that god hates me for loving who I was born to love.
    so do i. it also says "respect all people" and that is what i try to do.
    and u are correct only god judges and i trust that he will do that in his due time.
    also if u have read the bible you should know that it says that u can change ur sexuality. and its true, i have.
    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    If you are right than i guess we are all ****ed

    but if you are wrong....



    You are right and I agree. Separation of church and state is vital and one of the main things our country is supported by. I also agree that it has no bearing in the argument about civil unions.

    B
    i know you left that second statement hanging for a reason but i would like u to finish it.
    if i am wrong...then what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eterna View Post
    Then everyone on this earth will burn in hell. Nobody on this planet is free from sin.

    But even if you are right, it isn't right to thrust your religion upon others. This guy says it best, albeit a little bit harshly. http://youtu.be/DKifAdn8HCQ#t=5m50s
    i dont expect everyone to believe me nor do i fore them to.
    and actually read the bible, people dont "burn in hell", contrary to popular belief

    Hell doesn't exist. At least in the way that u think.
    Last edited by Mr. Spock; 18th November 2012 at 3:58 AM.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

  24. #2524
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post

    also if u have read the bible you should know that it says that u can change ur sexuality. and its true,
    Not by willpower, and if you did then you never were to begin with.

    Bi curious isn't gay, it's a hormonel urge commonly experienced by quite a few teens.
    Last edited by Eterna; 18th November 2012 at 4:15 AM.

  25. #2525
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Enterprise
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eterna View Post
    Not by willpower, and if you did then you never were to begin with.
    1) what other ways could there be if not willpower?
    2) I read a study that said that a large (don't remember the exact number) percentage of gays had their first homosexual attractions during puberty. So u aren't born gay.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Page 101 of 189 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •