Page 106 of 190 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 4740

Thread: Homosexuality & Politics in the 21st Century

  1. #2626
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    ...Let me Google that for you.

    a sexual attraction to (or sexual relations with) persons of the same sex.

    This should be self-explanatory, but you don’t understand what sexuality is if you’re asking this kind of question. Sexuality isn’t defined by what you do – it’s defined purely by attraction. If a man gets raped by a man it does not somehow mean he is now homosexual, or even bisexual. That’s not what defines sexuality.

    ~Psychic
    Honestly the little animation was a bit much and kind of a ***** move, a link would have been just fine....but I ain't mad

    To prove i know what sexuality is...

    The bolded goes against the definition of homosexuality that you just provided since it states that it is note just attraction

    also..

    to get technical sexuality is defined as the quality of being sexual or possessing sex - so who you are attracted to plays no part, it is the fact that you are attracted to something that gives you sexuality

    even if we look at human sexuality, which is defined as the capacity to have erotic experiences and responses - can also refer to the way someone is sexually attracted to another person - which is determined by their sexual orientation

    even there is points out that it is not purely who you are attracted to that defines you as gay but also which sex you do it with...

    Say i am attracted to men but i am married, have kids and only have sex with my wife...am I still gay?

    Not to rude but the comment about rape has no place in this argument. Consensual sex should have been stated on my part, sorry, but i did not feel that it was necessary to make such a statement. Obviously if you cross into the realms of forced sex other questions can arise but I am talking purely about consensual adults


    B
    Last edited by BJPalmer85; 5th December 2012 at 9:20 PM.
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

    Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

    Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229


  2. #2627
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    Say i am attracted to men but i am married, have kids and only have sex with my wife...am I still gay?

    Not to rude but the comment about rape has no place in this argument. Consensual sex should have been stated on my part, sorry, but i did not feel that it was necessary to make such a statement. Obviously if you cross into the realms of forced sex other questions can arise but I am talking purely about consensual adults


    B
    Are you attracted to your wife? If you are, then you're bisexual. If not, you're just gay. This is really a stupid question, a really stupid question. Your sexual orientation is not determined by who you have sex with. I'm a virgin. Does that make me asexual?

    While we are on the subject of rape: People say that rape is about power, but is that completely true? If a man rapes another man in prison, couldn't it also be because the rapist just wanted to have sex with another man? How could he even "get it going" if he wasn't attracted to that man? While the whole power thing is true, a man also has to somewhat gay to rape another man.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  3. #2628
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Journeying through Hoenn
    Posts
    4,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    Honestly the little animation was a bit much and kind of a ***** move, a link would have been just fine....but I ain't mad

    To prove i know what sexuality is...

    The bolded goes against the definition of homosexuality that you just provided since it states that it is note just attraction

    also..

    to get technical sexuality is defined as the quality of being sexual or possessing sex - so who you are attracted to plays no part, it is the fact that you are attracted to something that gives you sexuality

    even if we look at human sexuality, which is defined as the capacity to have erotic experiences and responses - can also refer to the way someone is sexually attracted to another person - which is determined by their sexual orientation

    even there is points out that it is not purely who you are attracted to that defines you as gay but also which sex you do it with...

    Say i am attracted to men but i am married, have kids and only have sex with my wife...am I still gay?

    Not to rude but the comment about rape has no place in this argument. Consensual sex should have been stated on my part, sorry, but i did not feel that it was necessary to make such a statement. Obviously if you cross into the realms of forced sex other questions can arise but I am talking purely about consensual adults


    B
    Admittedly yes. It's a pet peeve of mine when people don't just use Google. My apologies for coming across rudely.

    Apologies again - I was referring specifically to sexual orientation, which I assumed went without saying.

    I don't really see how that changes anything in your example. There have been many cases of men who married heterosexually and had families, and turned out to be gay the whole time, sometimes even without their families knowing. Some have had homosexual sex on the side, some didn't, and some stayed married all their lives while others couldn't live the lie forever. As I understand it, there are also cultures that don't really care if individuals are homosexuals so long as they go on to marry heterosexually and have families. It doesn't change who you are.

    It was merely an example, and I'm sorry if it came off as offensive. Obviously consent is the biggest factor, but my point applies to consensual sex as well.

    To take a silly example, you have young women who will kiss one another for attention or due to peer pressure, sometimes (but no necessarily) while inebriated. This doesn't automatically make them bisexual, or even bi-curious. In some cases they may very well be, but it's not every case. Participants in a threesome also do not suddenly have their orientations altered - if all participants identify as straight and are limited to straight urges and desires, the two participants of the same sex do not suddenly have their orientation altered as a result of the encounter. Not all actors in homosexual pornographic films are actually attracted to the same sex, as another example. Or, simply put, you can experiment with a member of the same/other sex, but that doesn't mean your sexuality is now changed. I hope that's a little more clear.

    ~Psychic
    Last edited by Psychic; 5th December 2012 at 10:06 PM.

  4. #2629
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Strange House
    Posts
    47

    Default

    As a homosexual myself, I define being gay as having both a sexual and romantic attraction to the same sex exclusively, and wanting to pursue a deeply romantic and mutually fulfilling relationship with said person of the same sex.

    The latter being the most critical aspect of this definition as having sex with a dude or just experimenting on any level is not enough to constitute as 'gay'.

    I'd also like to add that it's also a matter of identity -- meaning consciously aware of ones emotional desires and needs, and must be reflected consistently over time both in practice and personality.
    Last edited by Useless; 6th December 2012 at 4:00 AM. Reason: clairfication
    |Shining Espeon by Useless|


    Quote Originally Posted by uber gon View Post
    Damit Ampharos should not look like Fabio. You're a sheep, dammit.

  5. #2630
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    I heard that the term "gay" only describes homosexual men. This confuses me because gay is an adjective, while lesbian is a noun.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  6. #2631
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    2,922

    Default

    I had the idea to qualify it as 'predominantly same sex urges' rather than 'exclusively same sex urges', because honestly my parents raised me believing that people occassionally cross the aisle and then come back and identify as purely gay or straight again. Both of my parents had boyfriends when they were young. I'm not gay so I can't pretend to have any personal authority on the matter, but my best guess is that's the entire point of it, that it varies, and some people are exclusively gay or straight, and then some people explore the other side and then go back to identifying as gay or straight, and whether during that time they still identify as gay or straight or they say they've become something else for a short time, I don't think it really matters. The individual's own interpretation of the classifications and how they apply to them - is *often* what matters.

    This passage on Bisexuality also kind of supports my understanding of it, but not completely:

    People who have a distinct but not exclusive sexual preference for one sex over the other may identify themselves as bisexual.
    Meaning, there's also a possibility they might not identify as bisexual.
    Last edited by CSolarstorm; 6th December 2012 at 6:09 AM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Albus Dumbledore
    Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.

    My deviantART
    | Suggested Alternative News: The Juice Rap News and The Corbett Report

  7. #2632
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    Admittedly yes. It's a pet peeve of mine when people don't just use Google. My apologies for coming across rudely.

    Apologies again - I was referring specifically to sexual orientation, which I assumed went without saying.
    Like i said, I aint mad. I kind of guessed that it was a pet peeve

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    I don't really see how that changes anything in your example. There have been many cases of men who married heterosexually and had families, and turned out to be gay the whole time, sometimes even without their families knowing. Some have had homosexual sex on the side, some didn't, and some stayed married all their lives while others couldn't live the lie forever. As I understand it, there are also cultures that don't really care if individuals are homosexuals so long as they go on to marry heterosexually and have families. It doesn't change who you are.
    This is where the confusion comes, if the man is married and lets say for this example that he is entirely faithful and has had no sexual relations with another man but has a very strong sexual attraction to men, how can he be considered gay?

    From all outwards appearance he is not gay and I would bet money that if he brought it up that he was people would have a very difficult time believing him.

    My main argument: Your sexual orientation is not determined entirely by who/what you are attracted to, i cant understand how it could be (i am trying though)

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    It was merely an example, and I'm sorry if it came off as offensive. Obviously consent is the biggest factor, but my point applies to consensual sex as well.

    To take a silly example, you have young women who will kiss one another for attention or due to peer pressure, sometimes (but no necessarily) while inebriated. This doesn't automatically make them bisexual, or even bi-curious. In some cases they may very well be, but it's not every case. Participants in a threesome also do not suddenly have their orientations altered - if all participants identify as straight and are limited to straight urges and desires, the two participants of the same sex do not suddenly have their orientation altered as a result of the encounter. Not all actors in homosexual pornographic films are actually attracted to the same sex, as another example. Or, simply put, you can experiment with a member of the same/other sex, but that doesn't mean your sexuality is now changed. I hope that's a little more clear.

    ~Psychic
    good example and i get where you are coming from

    Since we have discussed who you are attracted to determines orientation, what about pedophilia?

    I am not referring to someone that has committed such an atrocity but instead to someone who recognizes what he is feeling and seeks help. There is an episode of the show Private Practice where this exact thing occurs.

    Is that man still considered a pedophile even though he has not acted on the urges and instead has sought help and treatment?

    This is a little OT but it is still in the realm of what you feel or are attracted to and I feel that there are some intelligent people in this thread that will be able to weigh in with some goon insight on this topic.

    B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

    Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

    Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229


  8. #2633
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Strange House
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CSolarstorm View Post
    I had the idea to qualify it as 'predominantly same sex urges' rather than 'exclusively same sex urges', because honestly my parents raised me believing that people occassionally cross the aisle and then come back and identify as purely gay or straight again. Both of my parents had boyfriends when they were young. I'm not gay so I can't pretend to have any personal authority on the matter, but my best guess is that's the entire point of it, that it varies, and some people are exclusively gay or straight, and then some people explore the other side and then go back to identifying as gay or straight, and whether during that time they still identify as gay or straight or they say they've become something else for a short time, I don't think it really matters. The individual's own interpretation of the classifications and how they apply to them - is *often* what matters.
    I agree with much of this, but I tend to take a more conservative approach to the definition, since I feel that any emotional (esp. sexual) attraction to the opposite sex (beyond familial) invalidates the term 'gay' in the strictest sense of the word.

    But yea, it really depends on the individual. xD;
    Last edited by Useless; 6th December 2012 at 9:14 PM.
    |Shining Espeon by Useless|


    Quote Originally Posted by uber gon View Post
    Damit Ampharos should not look like Fabio. You're a sheep, dammit.

  9. #2634
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Useless View Post
    I agree with much of this, but I tend to take a more conservative approach to the definition, since I feel that any emotional (esp. sexual) attraction to the opposite sex (beyond familial) invalidates the term 'gay' in the strictest sense of the word.

    But yea, it really depends on the individual. xD;
    I like this.

    Putting a definition on it or say it is this or that really isn't good and it comes to do each individual person. That sounds a much better way to approach it

    B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

    Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

    Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229


  10. #2635
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Strange House
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    I like this.

    Putting a definition on it or say it is this or that really isn't good and it comes to do each individual person. That sounds a much better way to approach it

    B
    True, but even among LGBT there is a certain hierarchy, so to speak, and I can't believe I'm actually saying this, roflmao.

    Some gay men/women have never touched or shown an interest in the opposite sex their entire lives, we like to call them "gold star homos" -- as they set the standard of the most gay of gays.

    While others like myself have been with women/men to only to help confirm their identities, and to discover after the fact that they want nothing to do with it, which would be a "silver star homo" -- being of slightly lesser gay quality than that of the gold variety having been with a man/woman at least once.

    And bisexual men/women among certain homosexual circles are called just plain, "greedy." xDDD

    So there is a kind of system of classification depending on who you're talking to and how much they know about gay culture and jargon.
    Last edited by Useless; 7th December 2012 at 2:30 PM.
    |Shining Espeon by Useless|


    Quote Originally Posted by uber gon View Post
    Damit Ampharos should not look like Fabio. You're a sheep, dammit.

  11. #2636
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Useless View Post
    True, but even among LGBT there is a certain hierarchy, so to speak, and I can't believe I'm actually saying this, roflmao.

    Some gay men/women have never touched or shown an interest in the opposite sex their entire lives, we like to call them "gold star homos" -- as they set the standard of the most gay of gays.

    While others like myself have been with women/men to only to help confirm their identities, and to discover after the fact that they want nothing to do with it, which would be a "silver star homo" -- being of slightly lesser gay quality than that of the gold variety having been with a man/woman at least once.

    And bisexual men/women among certain homosexual circles are called just plain, "greedy." xDDD

    So there is a kind of system of classification depending on who you're talking to and how much they know about gay culture and jargon.
    Ok the "gold star homo" thing made me spit coffee out of my nose! That was some funny ****....

    I have always wondered about how the gay community view people that classified themselves as bi, that is interesting. What about transsexual/transgender? Are they viewed or seen in a different light by the rest of the gay/lesbian community?

    B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

    Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

    Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229


  12. #2637
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Strange House
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    Ok the "gold star homo" thing made me spit coffee out of my nose! That was some funny ****....

    I have always wondered about how the gay community view people that classified themselves as bi, that is interesting. What about transsexual/transgender? Are they viewed or seen in a different light by the rest of the gay/lesbian community?

    B
    Lol, well it's true. xD

    It's like the difference between a normal pokemon and a shiny one, so on this forum it's more appropriate to say, "shiny homo." LMAO!

    As far as the transsexual/transgender goes, I can't say that I have met or been well acquainted with hardly any both personally and professionally, but I would imagine it would depend on whether or not they identified as gay or straight after their transformation -- as there are instances where a man who becomes a woman could easily identify themselves as a lesbian, and vise versa, and the other being if a man becomes a woman and then identifies as a straight woman even after first being a gay male, etc...

    I just don't happen to know of any of the amusing nicknames they are called, or even if they have any. xD;;;

    The rest of the LGBT community generally tends to accept being that we're such a small minority and we understand that certain people don't like to be put into catergories, but yea, depending on who you're talking to there is a system of sorts. xD
    Last edited by Useless; 7th December 2012 at 9:37 PM.
    |Shining Espeon by Useless|


    Quote Originally Posted by uber gon View Post
    Damit Ampharos should not look like Fabio. You're a sheep, dammit.

  13. #2638
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    3,189

    Default

        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

  14. #2639
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Unova
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Too bad we won't hear about it until Summer. But I'm excited nonetheless.

  15. #2640
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    3,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manna View Post
    Too bad we won't hear about it until Summer. But I'm excited nonetheless.
    True. This could prove to be a turning point in history, or set the fight for mariage equility back for years.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

  16. #2641
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    2,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Useless View Post
    lesser gay quality than that of the gold variety
    XD You can't go wrong with the highest gay quality!

    But that is very interesting. I've never heard of that hierarchy before, but it must add some very much needed perspective to the whole scene.

    I imagine it must be hard to be conservative about LGBT ideas and values though, because there's probably a lot of pressure on this new establishment to keep changing to include this and that perspective from parts of the Western world who haven't been open to homosexuality as long as everyone else. There must be some dissenters who tend to reject the entire current order of things and use the terms in a way that makes them personally comfortable, which sounds like it would be frustrating to members of the LGBT community who already feel comfortable with the established order.

    Quote Originally Posted by Albus Dumbledore
    Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.

    My deviantART
    | Suggested Alternative News: The Juice Rap News and The Corbett Report

  17. #2642
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Journeying through Hoenn
    Posts
    4,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    This is where the confusion comes, if the man is married and lets say for this example that he is entirely faithful and has had no sexual relations with another man but has a very strong sexual attraction to men, how can he be considered gay?

    From all outwards appearance he is not gay and I would bet money that if he brought it up that he was people would have a very difficult time believing him.

    My main argument: Your sexual orientation is not determined entirely by who/what you are attracted to, i cant understand how it could be (i am trying though)
    Firstly, let's make this clear: sexual orientation is not defined by the perceptions/ideas/emotions of anyone but the individual. There have been many cases of people who hid their true orientation from others the same way one might hide one's religious beliefs from others (for example, both homosexuals and Jews in Nazi German). The fact that you don't think I'm Jewish doesn't affect the fact that I am Jewish. Whether or not you believe someone who says they identify a certain way does not remove the truth or value of that identity. It's a ridiculous argument.

    I'm not sure how else to say yes, sexual orientation is entirely defined by attraction. That is the literal definition of sexual orientation by professionals, unless you can present another definition by a reputable source.

    But at it's core, orientation is defined by what gender/s you are attracted to. Whether or not you act on those desires is up to you, but that does not affect those attractions and thus, does not affect your orientation. That's why girls can kiss other girls and still be straight. That's why same-sex participants in a threesome can still be straight. That's why pornography actors can perform in homosexual scenes and still be straight. That's why prostitutes can take same-sex clients and still be straight. Because despite the acts they performed, those acts are separate from their identity. For these people, sexual acts do not define them. You have a choice of either respecting that, or assuming that you know them better than they know themselves.

    Or, if you spent the next 20 years of your life now never having sex with the sex you are attracted to, even though you still want to and it's killing you that you can't, does that mean your orientation has actually changed? It's not like you want to abstain from it, but due to the circumstances, you just aren't. Maybe you have a disease, maybe you'll be killed if you were caught. If your desires have not changed, how could your orientation change?

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    good example and i get where you are coming from

    Since we have discussed who you are attracted to determines orientation, what about pedophilia?

    I am not referring to someone that has committed such an atrocity but instead to someone who recognizes what he is feeling and seeks help. There is an episode of the show Private Practice where this exact thing occurs.

    Is that man still considered a pedophile even though he has not acted on the urges and instead has sought help and treatment?
    Actually, we had this discussion in a thread on pedophilia, and it was unanimous that attraction to children = pedophilia. There was never any question of it, because that is literally the definition of pedophilia. Consequently, it was also unanimous that pedophiles who act on that attraction are bad, and those who don't aren't as bad.


    Quote Originally Posted by Useless View Post
    As far as the transsexual/transgender goes, I can't say that I have met or been well acquainted with hardly any both personally and professionally, but I would imagine it would depend on whether or not they identified as gay or straight after their transformation -- as there are instances where a man who becomes a woman could easily identify themselves as a lesbian, and vise versa, and the other being if a man becomes a woman and then identifies as a straight woman even after first being a gay male, etc...

    I just don't happen to know of any of the amusing nicknames they are called, or even if they have any. xD;;;
    Transsexuals are a part of the LGBT community (that's what the "T" stands for, after all), though from my understanding there is little distinction between heterosexual and homosexual trans individuals, mainly because that isn't where their focus lies. The trans community is incredibly small, and as I understand it, trans heterosexuals and homosexuals identify far more with one another than say transsexual homosexuals and cisgendered homosexual. For good reason, of course - the experiences of trans individuals are unlike any that cisgendered individuals will ever face. The same way heterosexual people and homosexual people are different, so too are cisgendered people and transsexual people, regardless of whether or not they share the same sexual orientation.

    The main definitions regarding transsexuals are much less lighthearted. Some basic example are "pre-op" (transsexuals who have not had undergone gender reassignment surgery) "post-op" (transsexuals who have undergone gender reassignment surgery) "M2F/MTF" (male-to-female transsexual) "F2M/FTM" (female-to-male) "passing" (others identifying individuals as the gender they identify as being cisgender). Not really sure if that's what you meant, but there are many resources with glossaries of terms, such as here.

    Hope that helps!


    Quote Originally Posted by CSolarstorm View Post
    But that is very interesting. I've never heard of that hierarchy before, but it must add some very much needed perspective to the whole scene.
    Some people take it more seriously than others, from my understanding. I think most communities don't really care about it and it's more or less a joke, but there are individuals who take some degree of pride, jokingly or not, in being a "gold star lesbian" or what have you.


    ~Psychic
    Last edited by Psychic; 8th December 2012 at 10:30 PM.

  18. #2643
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    INSIDE...
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    I'd like to add in, now that the comparison between acting on homosexual urges and acting on pedophilic urges has come up, that the two are apples and oranges. Pedophilia is not an orientation; orientations define what gender(s) you have a sexual interest in. Pedophilia is not limited by gender or orientation, and is more comparable to a fetish, which falls beneath sexuality in the hierarchy of your preferences.

    ...So to speak. You could probably still find points of comparison if you really tried, but keep in mind they are definitely not the same concept, especially since fetishes are all over the place across all genders and sexualities. Gay guys can and do sometimes dislike the idea of anal penetration, whereas some straight guys love it, for example.


    SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

    Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama


  19. #2644
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    Firstly, let's make this clear: sexual orientation is not defined by the perceptions/ideas/emotions of anyone but the individual. There have been many cases of people who hid their true orientation from others the same way one might hide one's religious beliefs from others (for example, both homosexuals and Jews in Nazi German). The fact that you don't think I'm Jewish doesn't affect the fact that I am Jewish. Whether or not you believe someone who says they identify a certain way does not remove the truth or value of that identity. It's a ridiculous argument.

    I'm not sure how else to say yes, sexual orientation is entirely defined by attraction. That is the literal definition of sexual orientation by professionals, unless you can present another definition by a reputable source.
    I agree with this and you are right it is a ridiculous argument. As for sexual orientation, a 5 second search on wikipedia (not the most credible) backs up what you say in the first few words on that page.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    But at it's core, orientation is defined by what gender/s you are attracted to. Whether or not you act on those desires is up to you, but that does not affect those attractions and thus, does not affect your orientation. That's why girls can kiss other girls and still be straight. That's why same-sex participants in a threesome can still be straight. That's why pornography actors can perform in homosexual scenes and still be straight. That's why prostitutes can take same-sex clients and still be straight. Because despite the acts they performed, those acts are separate from their identity. For these people, sexual acts do not define them. You have a choice of either respecting that, or assuming that you know them better than they know themselves.

    Or, if you spent the next 20 years of your life now never having sex with the sex you are attracted to, even though you still want to and it's killing you that you can't, does that mean your orientation has actually changed? It's not like you want to abstain from it, but due to the circumstances, you just aren't. Maybe you have a disease, maybe you'll be killed if you were caught. If your desires have not changed, how could your orientation change?
    I understand your argument and it makes sense. It is just the dynamic of learning that one feels/thinks describes them more than what one does is more important when it comes to this issue, though that is the case with many things...


    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    Actually, we had this discussion in a thread on pedophilia, and it was unanimous that attraction to children = pedophilia. There was never any question of it, because that is literally the definition of pedophilia. Consequently, it was also unanimous that pedophiles who act on that attraction are bad, and those who don't aren't as bad.
    fair enough and I agree, based one what you have stated previous it seems that there is no argument to this. Only thing i slightly disagree with is that the people who dont act on those urges "aren't as bad". It is sickening that they think of children in that way but if they don't and never do act on it than I can't label them as bad. I can view them as sick, in the sense that they need to seek help.


    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    Transsexuals are a part of the LGBT community (that's what the "T" stands for, after all), though from my understanding there is little distinction between heterosexual and homosexual trans individuals, mainly because that isn't where their focus lies. The trans community is incredibly small, and as I understand it, trans heterosexuals and homosexuals identify far more with one another than say transsexual homosexuals and cisgendered homosexual. For good reason, of course - the experiences of trans individuals are unlike any that cisgendered individuals will ever face. The same way heterosexual people and homosexual people are different, so too are cisgendered people and transsexual people, regardless of whether or not they share the same sexual orientation.

    The main definitions regarding transsexuals are much less lighthearted. Some basic example are "pre-op" (transsexuals who have not had undergone gender reassignment surgery) "post-op" (transsexuals who have undergone gender reassignment surgery) "M2F/MTF" (male-to-female transsexual) "F2M/FTM" (female-to-male) "passing" (others identifying individuals as the gender they identify as being cisgender). Not really sure if that's what you meant, but there are many resources with glossaries of terms, such as here.

    Hope that helps!



    Some people take it more seriously than others, from my understanding. I think most communities don't really care about it and it's more or less a joke, but there are individuals who take some degree of pride, jokingly or not, in being a "gold star lesbian" or what have you.


    ~Psychic
    The whole aspect of transsexual/transgender's and how they classify themselves and how other in the LGBT community classifies them seems overwhelmingly complex. Ill leave it at that...LOL!

    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserin View Post
    I'd like to add in, now that the comparison between acting on homosexual urges and acting on pedophilic urges has come up, that the two are apples and oranges. Pedophilia is not an orientation; orientations define what gender(s) you have a sexual interest in. Pedophilia is not limited by gender or orientation, and is more comparable to a fetish, which falls beneath sexuality in the hierarchy of your preferences.

    ...So to speak. You could probably still find points of comparison if you really tried, but keep in mind they are definitely not the same concept, especially since fetishes are all over the place across all genders and sexualities. Gay guys can and do sometimes dislike the idea of anal penetration, whereas some straight guys love it, for example.
    It is apples to oranges for the most part. The reason I brought it up was during my debate and subsequent understanding of what deems someone gay/straight/lesbian...etc. My argument/belief was that to be gay you not only had to feel a certain way but you had to act on those feels as well, so my argument was that one could not be homosexual if one did not act on those urges. So I asked the question whether someone was still considered a pedophile if they never acted on their urges.

    Thanks to the knowledge and boundless wisdom of members like Psychic and many others I was able to learn what the distinctions were and gain a little insight on the LGBT community

    So you are right, there is no real comparison that can be made, my argument was only made based on what I thought at the time.

    For the record, in case whatever I said is unclear in anyway, I am by no means making a comparison between LGBT and pedophiles, or holding them in the same light, some how saying they are related. That is not how I feel at all, pedophiles are sick people who need help. Just want to make that clear knowing that what is typed on the interwebs can be grossly misinterpreted

    B
    Last edited by BJPalmer85; 10th December 2012 at 2:47 PM.
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

    Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

    Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229


  20. #2645
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    276

    Default

    I see all this discussion about this and all I see are labels, which is exactly how human beings work. Personally I think that in our most barest essence we are just creatures who are dictated by certain desires and feelings. These feelings I think exist in every single human, but certain feelings are stronger than others in certain individuals.
    But as human beings we have a need to explain things and label them as such. A door shuts suddenly in your house, it was the wind. Things didn't work out between you and your ex, well that is because you were two different people and wanted different things. So on and so forth. Everything has an explanation, everything has a label.

    In reference to the laws about bestiality and pedophilia, consent is but a part of the reason it is outlawed. The main reason is because the victims of these type of behavior have little or no concept of right and wrong, thus the law must protect those who cannot protect themselves. Which is why you can be found guilty of engaging in consensual sex with a person who is 16 or 17 when you are 18 or 19. It is also why in most states you would need parents permission to engage in such activities with that borderline under age individual. In the eyes of the law they are seen as individuals whose concepts and understanding are still being formed.
    You see this distinction of knowing right and wrong in cases where children have murdered or assaulted someone, especially in 2nd and 3rd degree cases, since there is no pre-meditation behind these actions.
    Last edited by Thomas Elliot; 13th December 2012 at 6:30 PM.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

  21. #2646
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Homosexuality may not be genetic, instead it may be Epigenetic.

    http://sourcefednews.com/theres-no-g...ys-scientists/
    Last edited by Eterna; 13th December 2012 at 8:28 AM.

  22. #2647
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    The SCOTUS is hearing the cases concerning DOMA and Prop 8. Last week, Justice Scalia was at Princeton University and he defended his legal writings about comparing homosexuality to murder and bestiality against a gay student.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2274413.html

    PRINCETON, N.J. -- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia on Monday found himself defending his legal writings that some find offensive and anti-gay.

    Speaking at Princeton University, Scalia was asked by a gay student why he equates laws banning sodomy with those barring bestiality and murder.

    "I don't think it's necessary, but I think it's effective," Scalia said, adding that legislative bodies can ban what they believe to be immoral.


    Scalia has been giving speeches around the country to promote his new book, "Reading Law," and his lecture at Princeton comes just days after the court agreed to take on two cases that challenge the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

    Some in the audience who had come to hear Scalia speak about his book applauded but more of those who attended the lecture clapped at freshman Duncan Hosie's question.

    "It's a form of argument that I thought you would have known, which is called the `reduction to the absurd,'" Scalia told Hosie of San Francisco during the question-and-answer period. "If we cannot have moral feelings against homosexuality, can we have it against murder? Can we have it against other things?"

    Scalia said he is not equating sodomy with murder but drawing a parallel between the bans on both.

    Then he deadpanned: "I'm surprised you aren't persuaded."

    Hosie said afterward that he was not persuaded by Scalia's answer. He said he believes Scalia's writings tend to "dehumanize" gays.

    As Scalia often does in public speaking, he cracked wise, taking aim mostly at those who view the Constitution as a "living document" that changes with the times.

    "It isn't a living document," Scalia said. "It's dead, dead, dead, dead."

    He said that people who see the Constitution as changing often argue they are taking the more flexible approach. But their true goal is to set policy permanently, he said.

    "My Constitution is a very flexible one," he said. "There's nothing in there about abortion. It's up to the citizens. ... The same with the death penalty."

    Scalia said that interpreting laws requires adherence to the words used and to their meanings at the time they were written.

  23. #2648
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Homosexuality should be allowed, it will not harm anyone and is a way people wish to live there lives, most people who argue against it are either religious or just scared of the idea of homosexuality
    Epic trades for you!

    FC:
    Black 2: 4857 4837 4412

    Offering:
    DWF:

    Looking for:

    Please if you want any of these and more just PM me!

    All of the above are only available in black/white 2... I'm waiting for the pokemon transporter :P

    In Pokemon x/y
    FC: 3754-6299-8594

    Offering: Chespin, Fennekin, Squirtle, protean froakie
    Vivillions: elegant, modern
    Things I'm looking for: Mega pinsir's stone, mewtwo x's stone, mega tyranitars stone, mega manectric's stone

  24. #2649
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    The Boy Scouts may lift their ban on gays. What does this mean?
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  25. #2650
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    The Boy Scouts may lift their ban on gays. What does this mean?
    That they will finally become a rational organization that actually follows the doctrine they've toted since creation.

Page 106 of 190 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •