Page 103 of 190 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 4735

Thread: Homosexuality & Politics in the 21st Century

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20318436

Uganda to pass anti-gay law as 'Christmas gift

"Homosexual acts are already illegal in Uganda, but the bill which is before parliament proposes tougher sentences for people convicted."

In other words, Uganda is passing a law that makes any person who is even suspected of being a homosexual a life in prison sentence. This is what happens when evangelicals from our society get their hands on developing nations. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/wo...anda.html?_r=0

Why the hell are evangelicals from the states allowed to go to Uganda and spread messages of hate? Seriously, why is this allowed? They even go as far as to call themselves "Experts on Homosexuality"

"For three days, according to participants and audio recordings, thousands of Ugandans, including police officers, teachers and national politicians, listened raptly to the Americans, who were presented as experts on homosexuality. The visitors discussed how to make gay people straight, how gay men often sodomized teenage boys and how “the gay movement is an evil institution” whose goal is “to defeat the marriage-based society and replace it with a culture of sexual promiscuity.”

It's just so bloody immoral.

Quote Originally Posted by Manna View Post
    Yup, I'm of the belief that no one is completely straight or gay. You just lean more to one side or the other.
    If that is true then wouldn't it be possible to control which side you lean to?

@Evil Quagsire
    Once again if u can go either way then you should be able to choose Which way u go.

And about the expression...what can I say? I havent heard that one before XD

And kreis is right. I have asked people before if they want to have a debate on something that is off topic, my vm box is open for disscussion.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    If that is true then wouldn't it be possible to control which side you lean to?
    No. At least, not in my eyes. I don't think there is any will involved. You just lean to one side for each other.

But you are of the belief that you can, so I can't change your mind.

I got a 4 on that test (pretty sure I'm more of a 5), but I'm not a fan as to how some of the questions were phrased.
    Last edited by Manna; 19th November 2012 at 4:11 AM.

No. At least, not in my eyes. I don't think there is any will involved. You just lean to one side for each other.

But you are of the belief that you can, so I can't change your mind.

I got a 4 on that test (pretty sure I'm more of a 5), but I'm not a fan as to how some of the questions were phrased.
    It's just a lame internet pop quiz meant to demonstrate Kinseys point. Some of them seemed kind of unnecessary.

Lol I got a six so yay I'm gay !!!
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

i know you left that second statement hanging for a reason but i would like u to finish it.
    if i am wrong...then what.
    I left the second statement hanging for a reason to imply that nothing happens. If you are wrong, nothing will happen or change.

2) I read a study that said that a large (don't remember the exact number) percentage of gays had their first homosexual attractions during puberty. So u aren't born gay.
    #2 is an example of a correlation people try to make but isnt actually there (look up murders and ice cream). Like eterna says it implies that people start developing a sex drive during puberty.

You can argue that you are born gay. Everybody body is born different and unique. If brain chemistry and hormones are what cause puberty and fire up our sex drive than you can argue that this is what determines when we find out who we are attracted to. At the same time it is impossible to predict (at least as far as I know) when a child will enter puberty. This is backed up by the fact that there are numerous studies that have shown that boys and girls, especially girls, are entering puberty at even earlier ages that what they were 20 years ago. Using that information you could then argue that we are born with our brains hardwired as to when we will enter puberty.

B
    Last edited by BJPalmer85; 19th November 2012 at 6:20 PM.
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229

Quote Originally Posted by Eterna View Post

"Homosexual acts are already illegal in Uganda, but the bill which is before parliament proposes tougher sentences for people convicted."

In other words, Uganda is passing a law that makes any person who is even suspected of being a homosexual a life in prison sentence. This is what happens when evangelicals from our society get their hands on developing nations. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/wo...anda.html?_r=0

Why the hell are evangelicals from the states allowed to go to Uganda and spread messages of hate? Seriously, why is this allowed? They even go as far as to call themselves "Experts on Homosexuality"

"For three days, according to participants and audio recordings, thousands of Ugandans, including police officers, teachers and national politicians, listened raptly to the Americans, who were presented as experts on homosexuality. The visitors discussed how to make gay people straight, how gay men often sodomized teenage boys and how “the gay movement is an evil institution” whose goal is “to defeat the marriage-based society and replace it with a culture of sexual promiscuity.”

ok like i said, i dont treat a gay different then a normal person, so i dont think this is right, if god thinks its wrong, then let him take care of it...its not the place of humans.

Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    I left the second statement hanging for a reason to imply that nothing happens. If you are wrong, nothing will happen or change.
    exactly.
    if i am right people will die and if i am wrong, no harm done, other than pissing a few people off.

#2 is an example of a correlation people try to make but isnt actually there (look up murders and ice cream). Like eterna says it implies that people start developing a sex drive during puberty.

You can argue that you are born gay. Everybody body is born different and unique. If brain chemistry and hormones are what cause puberty and fire up our sex drive than you can argue that this is what determines when we find out who we are attracted to. At the same time it is impossible to predict (at least as far as I know) when a child will enter puberty. This is backed up by the fact that there are numerous studies that have shown that boys and girls, especially girls, are entering puberty at even earlier ages that what they were 20 years ago. Using that information you could then argue that we are born with our brains hardwired as to when we will enter puberty.

B

B
    it is true that it is difficult to predict, but there are things that can slow down or speed up when puberty will take place. for example a certian brand of baby bottle was recalled due to it releasing toxins into the milk...one of the side effects? entering puberty earlier then usual. and i am willing to bet that there are many different factors. so maybe puberty is determined at birth but external factors can actually determine when it actually takes place.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

This is actually true. Children don't really know what gay is. They always know, even from a very young age that something about them is different, but it's only when they're older do they understand what that difference is.

Always? When you put that word in, your statement assumes that all homosexuals have the same exact feelings before a certain age, and, especially when we cannot guarantee the accuracy of such personally-recalled memories (often recalled many years later), this assumption is not sound. What you say may be true in general, even in most cases, but there is no need for exaggerating.

Your conclusion simply does not follow. In fact, the same data you mention about kids entering puberty earlier is much more likely to be caused by factors that are not hard-wired into people. Yeah you can argue that people are born gay, but if you do it that way you shoot yourself in the foot!

Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFightingPikachu View Post
    Your conclusion simply does not follow. In fact, the same data you mention about kids entering puberty earlier is much more likely to be caused by factors that are not hard-wired into people. Yeah you can argue that people are born gay, but if you do it that way you shoot yourself in the foot!
    I agree, he didn't argue that well. I would say that you are probably born with your orientation, though events during childhood while your personality is forming can probably influence it, though good luck figuring out what influences it what way. Further, it isn't so much that people gain their orientation at puberty as it is the first time their bodies are capable of having the "proper" response to the subconscious ideas that have always been present.
    Shiny Semi-Flawless/Flawless (5th gen):

Working on Learning 5th gen RNG.
    Diamond FC: 4213 0213 1340
    Black FC: 2666 8273 4049

Yay, I've claimed Charizard .

Quote Originally Posted by TheFightingPikachu View Post
    Always? When you put that word in, your statement assumes that all homosexuals have the same exact feelings before a certain age, and, especially when we cannot guarantee the accuracy of such personally-recalled memories (often recalled many years later), this assumption is not sound. What you say may be true in general, even in most cases, but there is no need for exaggerating.

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine View Post
    I agree, he didn't argue that well. I would say that you are probably born with your orientation, though events during childhood while your personality is forming can probably influence it, though good luck figuring out what influences it what way. Further, it isn't so much that people gain their orientation at puberty as it is the first time their bodies are capable of having the "proper" response to the subconscious ideas that have always been present.
    Ill agree it wasnt the best and I was shooting from the hip so to speak. Looking back I kind of see that I was contradicting myself.

All in all i feel that there are many contributing factors to ones orientation and that it is not simply choice

B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229

Kinsey scale test: http://vistriai.com/kinseyscaletest/

"The Kinsey Scale is an idea developed by Alfred Kinsey in 1948 that instead of describing people as either homosexual, heterosexual or bisexual, sexual orientation was really a scale from hetereosexualiy to homosexuality."

it's on a scale of 1-6, 1 being exclusively heterosexual and 6 being exclusively homosexual.

I score six, but apparently most people score 1 and 2.
    I got a 0 on the test.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

Yup, I'm of the belief that no one is completely straight or gay. You just lean more to one side or the other.
    Preciesly how I feel based on the situation. I identify as an asexual/demisexual so I obviously got non-sexual on the kinsley test. My parents are with that whole 'if you were gay you'd know it at birth' sort of thing, but I'm at the belief that you PROBABLY wouldn't be able to tell until you started having sexual impulses or feelings. For instance, I myself, feel attraction towards the male gender. I sometimes think 'wow that girl is so hot' but I don't really want to be in a relationship with someone of the same sex.

I was also raised (although I don't exactly believe this belief) that there is only a heterosexual or homosexual. Although I DO believe in bisexual, demisexual, asexual, polysexual, so on..
    I'm completely for gay-rights, I honestly and whole-heartedly believe that everyone should be able to legally get married to the one they love.

"The Kinsey Scale is an idea developed by Alfred Kinsey in 1948 that instead of describing people as either homosexual, heterosexual or bisexual, sexual orientation was really a scale from hetereosexualiy to homosexuality."

it's on a scale of 1-6, 1 being exclusively heterosexual and 6 being exclusively homosexual.

oooh, I scored a 2. I lean towards women, but I've been attracted to enough guys to know I'm not a 1 at all. Maybe not enough to identify as bisexual, but that could change, you know? I haven't experienced sex in any form, so it's all still mutable.

Also, I think choice can play a role, but only really with people in the middle of the scale. Ones and sixes can't really force themselves to be the opposite. Besides, there's nothing wrong with choosing to be in a gay relationship, if there's an authentic connection and attraction involved.
    Last edited by Evil Quagsire; 22nd November 2012 at 2:30 AM.

Well, I just got an F. Soooo, I am an unusual person.

I got a 4, though I've never dated girls so my answers may be a bit skewed. I don't identify as bisexual though, purely for simplicity's sake.

As far as choice goes, I agree with Evil Quagsire in that Kinsey 1's and 6's can't force themselves to be the opposite (and shouldn't, as it can and does lead to serious issues like depression). As someone who was raised in a very homophobic environment but grew up to be a total flamer, I can attest. So for some, it can be a choice, for others, not so much. Everyone's different.
    Last edited by Ryubane; 27th November 2012 at 1:36 AM.

I got a 6 on that test. Although I didn't need that test to tell me what I already knew.
    Yellow Team

Current Pokémon Y Team Members
    Greninja, Venusaur, Blaziken, Raichu, Tyrantrum, Mr. Mime

Pokémon X Planned Team Members
    Chesnaught, Charizard, Vespiquen, Jynx, Jolteon, Lucario

Guys we have to stay on topic! If we talk about our scores, we may get infracted by some meanie.

Anway, back to the subject of homosexuality. My university has a LGBTQA Pride Center. It's a really fun place to hang out and be part of a community. I think trying to spread tolerance of others makes communities stronger.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89H12L20121018

The Defense of Marriage act is being ruled unconstitutional. It begins.

I got a 0 on the test, but I have become more tolerant to homosexuality because one of my friends is a lesbian.
    Nowadays, I don't care about one's sexuality, but rather their personality. A classy gay can be my friend but not some promiscuous, raging homosexual.

I think the government should just treat gays equally to straights so we can move onto the economy. Gays are as much of a person as straights, but the economy now wasn't like the economy back then so let's put aside our sexual preferences and help us get jobs.
    Looking for:
    - 5-6 IV Beldum Family Member (Non-English)
    - HA Fletchling Family Member
    - Drifloon Family Member (Non-English)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89H12L20121018

The Defense of Marriage act is being ruled unconstitutional. It begins.
    It was written on the 16th of october.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Guys we have to stay on topic! If we talk about our scores, we may get infracted by some meanie.

Anway, back to the subject of homosexuality. My university has a LGBTQA Pride Center. It's a really fun place to hang out and be part of a community. I think trying to spread tolerance of others makes communities stronger.
    Depends what's being tolerated of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    Depends what's being tolerated of course.
    I said tolerance of others.
    Jackpot!

Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    I said tolerance of others.
    Point still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 tyranitars View Post
    It was written on the 16th of october.
    Well I fail.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    Because they are working within the law to push what they believe is their moral line that should not be crossed. You on the other hand would be working outside the law, and thus it does not conform to my logic.

And Tony Perkins actually voiced his support of the bill recently. That's why FRC is listed as a hate group.

Page 103 of 190 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153 ... LastLast