Page 43 of 187 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 4669

Thread: Homosexuality & Politics in the 21st Century

Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    Gallup is pretty respectable... I was a member for a while! 30 of 50 states (or 58%) have laws against now.
    That's 60% Malanu. You're slipping old timer.

Remember the saying, If you choose not to decide you have still made a choice. By choosing to not take a stance he/we choose the status quo.
    Yes, but it would be better not to choose a side than to be a hypocrite in the eyes of the public. If you're a politician anyway.

Of course not, Billy was just my example.

And they both have stuff like "Oh he bullies gays... (In High School) Do you really want him in office!" It's scummy for both parties.
    Yes, I agree then. It's truly ashame we have such tactics but it's what catches people's attention and it seems to have worked up to this point.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

LOL Yeah... I actually divided by 51 instead of 50! Embarrassing, I know!

Politician and hypocrite share a definition or 7!

So true!

I found a picture about slippery slopes.
    We can all agree that the second generation was either Pokémon's Golden Age or its Silver Age.

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

Well, recently, Obama has announced that he was Pro-Gay, meaning that makes him the first President to be so. Honestly, I'm happy he did so, although I don't believe he did it for the gay population, just for his own reasons.

Spoiler:- Credits:

I have claimed Chance by UVERworld!

I don't know Dragon. If he always was why not shout it from the rooftops? I have pretty much always been pro gay ... by that I mean I have never discriminated or been disrespectful. I may discriminate against an individual who I just cannot reach an accord with, but I pretty much try to give everyone the chance to be friends.

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    I don't know Dragon. If he always was why not shout it from the rooftops?
    Because you do not usually get elected to a national office, especially the Presidency, by taking a view that is not popular with a majority of the public, or with a significant part of your base. Gay Marriage only crossed the 50% threshold in support in the last year or so, and Gay Marriage is still not supported highly in the Hispanic or black community. In a tightly contested race against Hillary he couldn't risk turning off his voters, thus you get the 'Evolving' stance ever since the election. Now granted I personally think Obama would love to have waited till after the election to make a tough decision like this, but eventually they took a calculated risk that the money they get in from wealthy Gay doners is needed, and that the Blacks and Hispanics will rally around him because of skin color and not because of his stand on gay marriage. If that is true has yet to be seen, but so far the results are not encouraging for Obama if this last Sunday was any indication.

It really annoys me that Newsweek put out a headline calling Obama 'the first gay president'. Do they not understand how being gay works? You're not gay just because you support gay marriage. Or maybe they just use that word more generally now to describe someone who subscribes to those beliefs that would go with being gay, such as the beliefs that being gay is not a choice, possibly that it's genetic, and everyone goes through a bi phase. I hope not. If that's the case, I never heard it until now.

My mother, who claims to be an anarchist and has never voted in her life, talked about voting for Obama. It's not because he came out in support of gay marriage, but because he supported her union - but still, the sides are coming together...

Quote Originally Posted by Albus Dumbledore
    Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.

My deviantART
    | Suggested Alternative News: The Juice Rap News and The Corbett Report

Sunny, the last time I looked I was not gay just because I will support my gay friends right to marry. Now I'm not a Politician so I may have missed a memo or two

Oh and Her Union or her union?

So true!

Her homecare workers union, little 'u'. For our income. She actually doesn't want to get a civil union with my other mom, government recognized partnership is like a non-issue for her. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Albus Dumbledore
    Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.

My deviantART
    | Suggested Alternative News: The Juice Rap News and The Corbett Report

I thought Lincoln was the first gay president.
    We can all agree that the second generation was either Pokémon's Golden Age or its Silver Age.

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

http://www.examiner.com/article/bris...ge-endorsement

I hope this hasn't been posted before.

You know the funny thing? Studies show gay parents are better, on an average, than straight parents.
    THIS DAY IS GOING TO BE PERFECT
    Because love's in bloom~

"After all this time?"
    "Always", said Snape.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate

Some folks should just keep their opinions to themselves, because no mater what they tell you, Stupid exists, It's out there!! What Bristol said was the perfect example.

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Raddaya View Post
    http://www.examiner.com/article/bris...ge-endorsement

I hope this hasn't been posted before.

You know the funny thing? Studies show gay parents are better, on an average, than straight parents.
    Her family is devoid of brain activity. Does she actually think the president made his decision based on his children?

Bristol Palin: mother of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Her family is devoid of brain activity. Does she actually think the president made his decision based on his children?

Bristol Palin: mother of the year.
    Didn't Obama in his speech actually cite his daughters for his decision? Or atleast that is what the article makes it out to be "In explaining his changed position on gay marriage President Obama cited his daughters. Evidently, Malia and Sasha have many friends whose parents are same-sex couples, and they had problems understanding why their friends’ parents would be treated differently than other couples."

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    Didn't Obama in his speech actually cite his daughters for his decision? Or atleast that is what the article makes it out to be "In explaining his changed position on gay marriage President Obama cited his daughters. Evidently, Malia and Sasha have many friends whose parents are same-sex couples, and they had problems understanding why their friends’ parents would be treated differently than other couples."
    Do you think that's the only reason?

Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Do you think that's the only reason?
    No of course not, however what I think, and what the President said played a major part in his decision are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyC View Post
    It really annoys me that Newsweek put out a headline calling Obama 'the first gay president'. Do they not understand how being gay works? You're not gay just because you support gay marriage. .
    Pretty sure they just mean that hes a gay supporter, not that hes actually gay, any one not living under a rock would get the context.

Though admittedly I can understand how that can be misinterpreted, as even I was wondering who the hell came up with that headline.

Why do people still think it was christians who first came up with the concept of marriage? That...and keeping the same as its always been is an appeal to tradition.

Id say ive lost hope in humanity, but id be lying to myself as its already rock bottom
    Last edited by Roaring Apathy; 15th May 2012 at 5:03 PM.

Even if it was politically motivated, you have to admit the man is brave for doing this. Obama has for the most part always been on the side of the LGBT community. This is the man who got rid of DADT, is no longer allowing the government to defend DOMA and signed the Matthew Shephard Hate Crime bill into law. At this point in the game Obama pretty much had the gay vote for the most part in the bag. Many of us actually hoped he wouldn't come out for marriage equality until after he won so he wouldn't lose votes. This, to me, was just icing on the cake. Even if he did it just to secure donors with heavy pockets, you have to admit he took a very big risk. Granted he won't lose much of the minority vote, there is still a very strong evangelical christian section of the minority community that he could have very well just wrote off. I give the man props for doing something that I think we can all admit could very well cost him the election.

Also to Malanu, I see you are upset that he waited so long to say something especially when states are banning marriage equality. He's already said that while he's for marriage equality he does believe it should be left up to the states so to play devil's advocate he didn't say anything because he thinks the states are doing what they have a right to do. He has although voiced his disappointment from time to time when states do pass bans. I personally don't believe in putting the rights of a minority up to public vote but that's just me.

Also can anyone provide reference to where he said he was for marriage equality and then recanting? I ask because from what I researched he's always been for civil unions but wasn't for full marriage equality. When he said he was evolving he meant from civil unions to marriage equality.

3DS FC: 1693 1069 1732
    Dream Suite Address: 5300 - 2139 - 7204

Quote Originally Posted by Arcamenel View Post
    Also to Malanu, I see you are upset that he waited so long to say something especially when states are banning marriage equality. He's already said that while he's for marriage equality he does believe it should be left up to the states so to play devil's advocate he didn't say anything because he thinks the states are doing what they have a right to do. He has although voiced his disappointment from time to time when states do pass bans. I personally don't believe in putting the rights of a minority up to public vote but that's just me.
    In which case why did he not campaign for it in North Carolina? Leaving something up to the states does not mean you do not avoid a GOTV effort for your side.

Also can anyone provide reference to where he said he was for marriage equality and then recanting? I ask because from what I researched he's always been for civil unions but wasn't for full marriage equality. When he said he was evolving he meant from civil unions to marriage equality.
    "President-elect Obama's answer to a 1996 Outlines newspaper question on marriage was: "I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages." There was no use of the phrase "civil unions". [Outlines purchased Windy City Times in 2000 and merged companies.] "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_157656.html

and signed the Matthew Shephard Hate Crime bill into law.
    I like the sentiment involved, but I dont like the practice. Its pretty much a thought crime, and personally feels like a wrong way to go about things.

I personally don't believe in putting the rights of a minority up to public vote but that's just me.
    Actually this is in fact what the founding fathers didnt want. Ever heard of tyranny of the majority?

Quote Originally Posted by Raddaya View Post
    Studies also show that licking one's own feet cures cancer.
    After 12 years of being a Pokemon fan, I'm officially quitting the fandom. This is not a rage quit and it has nothing to do with the Pokemon franchise. It's also NOT a sudden decision - I've planned it for months but I decided to stay a true, active Pokemon fan until the very last day. The reason for my leave is the fact that I'm starting my studies at the Uni and I decided that it's a perfect moment to move on with my life. I'll never forget all these awesome years and Pokemon will always be a part of my childhood memories. Goodbye friends! Thank you.

And if I'm ever back, I'm never back for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Studies also show that licking one's own feet cures cancer.
    I guess that's why I don't have cancer.

It's also funny how Rush Limbaugh says Obama declared war on traditional marriage when this guy married 4 times after divorces. Yeah, who's really doing war on marriage?
    Last edited by Silver Soul; 16th May 2012 at 1:36 AM.

hey, but all his marriages were traditional marriages so

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    I also funny how Rush Limbaugh says Obama declared war on traditional marriage when this guy married 4 times after divorces. Yeah, who's wearing doing war on marriage?
    Well he may be disgraceful to marriage but I doubt he married to just get divorced.

Page 43 of 187 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast