Page 44 of 190 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 4733

Thread: Homosexuality & Politics in the 21st Century

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    I also funny how Rush Limbaugh says Obama declared war on traditional marriage when this guy married 4 times after divorces. Yeah, who's wearing doing war on marriage?
    That's pretty traditional for American marriages... I'm in my second. My mother in law is in her 4th... or 5th!

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    hey, but all his marriages were traditional marriages so
    Adultery and divorce are technically attacks on marriage.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Adultery and divorce are technically attacks on marriage.
    No one is the result of failing morale fiber the other is due to pressure from attorneys. It ia a failing of the human condition.

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    hey, but all his marriages were traditional marriages so
    Talk about missing the point. What I'm saying if traditional marriage is so important to the far Christian Right, then why aren't they doing anything about the high divorce rate?

that was actually my point too :3

Silver they are doing something. They are trying again... and again... and again...

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    Silver they are doing something. They are trying again... and again... and again...
    Yeah. Hopefully not in a theocratic Taliban-istic way.

Also Virginia Republicans Deny Judgeship to Gay Prosecutor.

http://news.yahoo.com/virginia-repub...195654974.html

According to The New York Times' Sabrina Tavernise, Thorne-Begland received 33 "yes" votes to 31 "nays," in a vote held in the early hours on Tuesday morning, but needed a 51-vote majority of all the House delegates to be approved. All 31 nay votes came from Republicans, who claimed that Thorne-Begland's lifestyle and support for gays causes would make it impossible for him to be impartial.

all 31 nay votes came from republicans, who claimed that thorne-begland's lifestyle and support for gays causes would make it impossible for him to be impartial.
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaha!!!
    Wait... They were SERIOUS???
    Last edited by Malanu; 16th May 2012 at 2:09 AM.

So true!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaha!!!
    Wait... They were SERIOUS???
    If a Muslim Republican can't be welcomed to the official party, then this shouldn't be too surprising.

Who was turned away? I hadn't heard about this?

This is embarrassing! A nation founded on religious freedom, banning religious freedom! I'm going to have to rethink my political support. Can't stand the Dems, Loosing faith in the Reps... maybe its time to support Alfred E Newman again!
    Last edited by Malanu; 16th May 2012 at 2:37 AM.

So true!

Who was turned away? I hadn't heard about this?
    Oh the Muslim Republican? I saw on the Daily Show clip here. http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...nt-in-the-room

Anyways, all Republicans who opposed said he would not be impartial? How ironic.

Oh the Muslim Republican? I saw on the Daily Show clip here. http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...nt-in-the-room
    So a county in a small part of Florida now represents the "Official Party"?
    "No. I don't agree with him on a LOT of issues. Unlike most Republicans, who are blindly loyal to their party" ~ Maedar on Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    So a county in a small part of Florida now represents the "Official Party"?
    It's his hometown area and you get my point.

Anyways about the article, here's Bob Marshall on why he denied the prosecutor.

“He holds himself out as being married,” Marshall said, according to the Post. In Virginia, where gay marriage is not legal, he said Thorne-Begland’s “life is a contradiction to the requirement of submission to the (state) Constitution.”
    Oh god, this is facepalm worthy.

It's his hometown area and you get my point.
    Actually no I don't, you stated this "If a Muslim Republican can't be welcomed to the official party, then this shouldn't be too surprising." you tried to make it out as if this was the norm for the party at large, and tried to connect two absolutely unrelated incidents.
    "No. I don't agree with him on a LOT of issues. Unlike most Republicans, who are blindly loyal to their party" ~ Maedar on Barack Obama

I can't see the video thanks to work restrictions on Flash and other players...

I can't get behind any reason to decline a gay Judge because he may not be impartial! Unless he has shown a pattern of bias Outside of gay issues. Otherwise how impartial would a christian judge be regarding law and christian upbringing?

Big I did a little reading (lots more before I actually make a choice), Every state to have made bans against the Sharia Law are Republican. Now I do need to look into the reason some more. Cause I am seeing some reasons that sound acceptable. Our law is The Constitution and all articles. I can see paying attention to other religious laws and such, but only till they come in conflict with the laws of this nation. If this is what the Reps are trying to get accomplished then I'm am in agreement. But I need to read some more.
    Last edited by Malanu; 16th May 2012 at 3:08 AM.

So true!

Actually no I don't, you stated this "If a Muslim Republican can't be welcomed to the official party, then this shouldn't be too surprising." you tried to make it out as if this was the norm for the party at large, and tried to connect two absolutely unrelated incidents.
    I'm just pointing out the bigotry okay?

Yeah. Hopefully not in a theocratic Taliban-istic way.

Also Virginia Republicans Deny Judgeship to Gay Prosecutor.

http://news.yahoo.com/virginia-repub...195654974.html
    There was a interview on CNN that further expounds on what one of the members who voted against him believes.

"Del. ROBERT MARSHALL, (R-Va.): He displayed a pattern of behavior that was inconsistent with what we have come to expect in Virginia judges. We've never appoint – I've been there 21 years. We've never appointed an activist of any kind along these lines, much less somebody who has a long history of this.

For example, he had to misstate his background in order to be received into the military in the late 1980s. There was a specific question. Are you a homosexual? He had to say no. He took an oath of office, which he had to defy. There were regulations he defied on going on television, there were superior orders of officers, there's a uniform code of military justice. In 2004 in Richmond Magazine, he made a blanket statement condemning the entire judiciary of the Commonwealth of Virginia as being overtly hostile to homosexuals and lesbians."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matt-ha...#ixzz1v9LQGF9R

Take it for what its worth, but I think from the way they are making it out, its less about his lifestyle and more about his activism and willingness to break codes and past statements that made people vote against him.

He wanted to serve his country, and at the time the only way to do so was if one was straight. So a lie to be able to serve the greater good. Well The state of Virginia hasn't sounded to complacent so making a stand sometimes requires doing things such as speaking out for what is right and ... wait for it, Just!

So true!

He wanted to serve his country, and at the time the only way to do so was if one was straight. So a lie to be able to serve the greater good. Well The state of Virginia hasn't sounded to complacent so making a stand sometimes requires doing things such as speaking out for what is right and ... wait for it, Just!
    That is very true and I agree with it, but the Devil's Advocate could say that you expect a Judge to follow the law, not break it because they believe something is just.

I think its funny that the same people who are throwing a fit over the Virginia legislature not accepting this quite obviously vocal, activist judge are the exact same people who threw a fit when the Republicans nominated a different vocal activist, Rush Limbaugh, for the hall of fame. I think they're both hypocrites.

That is very true and I agree with it, but the Devil's Advocate could say that you expect a Judge to follow the law, not break it because they believe something is just.
    That kind of depends on the ultimate definition of what's right and wrong in this case, though, which is inevitably going to vary from person to person. Hell, some might even argue that, to break away from archaic and oppressive standards that create the laws that may prevent "sexual deviants" from too many things to count, s/he has to go against the current law to help create a more just one that is fair for everyone.

I think that common saying about revolutionaries never really playing by the rules would apply here, with that argument.

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

I expect a Judge to interpret the law, it's our job to follow the law

But that's just my thinking.

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserin View Post
    That kind of depends on the ultimate definition of what's right and wrong in this case, though, which is inevitably going to vary from person to person. Hell, some might even argue that, to break away from archaic and oppressive standards that create the laws that may prevent "sexual deviants" from too many things to count, s/he has to go against the current law to help create a more just one that is fair for everyone.

I think that common saying about revolutionaries never really playing by the rules would apply here, with that argument.
    That is very true, but could you see the view of the legislature who consider that electing this Judge may be placing some one on the bench who follows his heart more than who follows the law? And to avoid the possibility of having a wild card activist Judge that ignores current law for what he thinks is right?

They do have a point that judges need to uphold the law, rather than make decisions based solely on their personal moral code. But honestly, everyone is an activist in one way or another, and many of judges, including the two that they did agree on, have been vocal about other causes. I'm not at all going to cry "HOMOPHOBIA", but it does seem a bit hypocritical. I've read the interviews where some legislators have said "Hey, this guy was way more over-the-top vocal about his activism than we're comfortable with", and that may actually be the case, but I haven't seen any evidence to support that.

That is very true, but could you see the view of the legislature who consider that electing this Judge may be placing some one on the bench who follows his heart more than who follows the law? And to avoid the possibility of having a wild card activist Judge that ignores current law for what he thinks is right?
    Again, that depends on whether people would value more the idea of upholding existing laws even if it means compromising yourself or your own beliefs, or going against the law (which could and probably is perceived as silly in a lot of ways, and a much more blatant form of discrimination on the basis of sexuality) to try and pave a road in which having to break a law that arguably shouldn't exist in the first place isn't necessary.

Obviously, the people who are vehemently against gay people having any sort of rights are going to go with the former, not necessarily because they agree with that concept over the other, but because it's in their own specific interests to do so. It still boils down to whether or not gay people should be subjected to the same kinds of limitations as straight people -- and if so, why?

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Page 44 of 190 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast