Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast
Results 901 to 925 of 970

Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

  1. #901
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland
    Posts
    4,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmorAndonomon View Post
    I could've sworn Beth recently said something about Dragonborn being released on PC and PS3 at the same time in January, so there's that.
    Well, PS3 and PC were supposed to get it at the same time back in August, and we know how that went.

    I still haven't pirated Dawnguard, but from what I've heard/seen, it's pretty bland. Not sure if I should bother wasting the HDD space.
    B-But you can be a floating... vampire... thing...

    Nah it's not really worth it.

  2. #902
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    5,092

    Default

    The Skyrim DLC packs (including that new one on 360) are neat and all, but they really just add more of the same. I guess it's worth it if you are really into Skyrim and not aware/don't care about its flaws. If you've played Oblivion, the DLCs are all basically like beefier versions of Knights of the Nine as far as the type of content to expect. Also if you only play Skyrim on console they are a much better value there, since consoles have no mods. It's a good buy for $10, I guess.

  3. #903
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    .....In America
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pikasaur View Post
    I figured since Dawnguard was manageable at lvl 10, Dragonborn wouldn't be that difficult either.

    Some good did come from my attempts. I did manage a few non-ash spawn side quests, like delivering drinks to town members, fetching a book from a ship, and a Ancient Nordic Pickaxe from someone.
    i also found Meridia's Beacon in a chest in Hrodulf's House.

    and i also forgot to mention, a dragon attacked raven rock 5 minutes after i arrived.
    Same with the dragon...
    No, you need. To be a high level for dragonborn. Enemies are super tough, and have high HP. I constantly use adept destruction spells, and it takes like 10 fireballs to kill certain enemies. I was level 39 when I started, I believe.

    For those of you still thinking about Dawnguard, if you aren't going to become a vampire, don't get it. You're paying 20 bucks for a linear questline. Not worth it. But I was very impressed with dragonborn. It actually delivered an expansion. New island, questline, powers, abilities. Get it.
    I have claimed Alduin, the mighty dragon! He shall one day return to bring forth the end of time, and fulfill the prophecy of the world eater.

  4. #904
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Moo Moo Farms
    Posts
    3,742

    Default

    so around level 39 for Dragonborn eh?

    At least it gives me a reason to do the main story past Diplomatic Immunity this time. By the time i get to and/or beat this quest i usually restart for one reason or another.

    thats right, one year and i haven't beaten the main story. even playing it once a day every day, until sometime in summer of 2012. Im awesome

  5. #905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noobers View Post
    If you've played Oblivion, the DLCs are all basically like beefier versions of Knights of the Nine as far as the type of content to expect. Also if you only play Skyrim on console they are a much better value there, since consoles have no mods. It's a good buy for $10, I guess.
    Knights of the Nine was kinda bland, really. It was a nice idea, it just wasn't as grand as I had hoped.

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatGonzales View Post
    For those of you still thinking about Dawnguard, if you aren't going to become a vampire, don't get it. You're paying 20 bucks for a linear questline. Not worth it. But I was very impressed with dragonborn. It actually delivered an expansion. New island, questline, powers, abilities. Get it.
    I wasn't going to buy it anyways, I was going to just pirate it. :u
    Until we get a DLC like Shivering Isles, something absolutely massive, I'm not buying anything.

  6. #906
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    119

    Default

    The first time I played, something happened where I was sitting in the wagon at the beginning and there was that guy sitting across from me, but for some reason that never changed. Nothing else happened. It just stayed there. D:

  7. #907
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    276

    Default

    I was really hyped on this game around this time last year, I really wanted to get it for PS3. But after hearing a bunch of negative things about it, the delayed DLC and minimal price drop, my interest has significantly lowered.
    So my question is, a year out, is it still worth picking up? Or should I just wait until the Complete edition drops?
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

  8. #908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Elliot View Post
    I was really hyped on this game around this time last year, I really wanted to get it for PS3. But after hearing a bunch of negative things about it, the delayed DLC and minimal price drop, my interest has significantly lowered.
    So my question is, a year out, is it still worth picking up? Or should I just wait until the Complete edition drops?
    If you have played any TES games before, after the "OH GOD NEW GAME" hype wears off, you'll be slightly disappointed after playing it. Something about it just seems strange, after playing through the other four games. It's not a bad strange, it just feels like Skyrim is a completely different game from the others. Honestly, I can't play it anymore without mods. I still enjoy it, but not as much as I did when it came out. I mean, I can't play Morrowind or Oblivion without mods either, but in Skyrim they feel absolutely necessary.

    If you've never picked up an Elder Scrolls game before, I'd say get it (wait for the price drop), but there's a couple of hitches with it.
    I compare Skyrim in The Elder Scrolls series to Persona 3/4 in the SMT series; they're great games on their own, there's no doubt about it, but they don't give you the authentic feeling that the originals/main line games give you. You might find going back into the previous titles a little harder, just because the gameplay is so drastically different, that you'll automatically throw the old games to the side, which definitely should not be done.
    Also, if you DO get Skyrim, I really recommend getting it on the PC, just for the purpose of modding and replay value. Yes, there are infinitely spawning quests, but those are typically fetch quests or "go to X and kill Y" quests, and they get REALLY dull after awhile. If you can't get it for PC, then hold off and see what Beth does with the add-ons for the PS3. Looking at all the issues they're having with them, it might be safe to say the PS3 is going to get it's own DLC all together, but wait awhile. I'd say if there's nothing before June, just go ahead and get it then.


    TL;DR:
    Skyrim is a completely different beast compared to the other TES titles, but it is still a good title with some pretty good replay value, if you are creative enough. If you haven't played TES before, get it, but DO NOT take Skyrim's gameplay as how the entire series works. If you HAVE played TES games before, it's pretty different, but still great to play through.

  9. #909
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    I'll sing Row, you sing Row
    Posts
    1,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmorAndonomon View Post
    If you have played any TES games before, after the "OH GOD NEW GAME" hype wears off, you'll be slightly disappointed after playing it. Something about it just seems strange, after playing through the other four games. It's not a bad strange, it just feels like Skyrim is a completely different game from the others. Honestly, I can't play it anymore without mods. I still enjoy it, but not as much as I did when it came out. I mean, I can't play Morrowind or Oblivion without mods either, but in Skyrim they feel absolutely necessary.

    If you've never picked up an Elder Scrolls game before, I'd say get it (wait for the price drop), but there's a couple of hitches with it.
    I compare Skyrim in The Elder Scrolls series to Persona 3/4 in the SMT series; they're great games on their own, there's no doubt about it, but they don't give you the authentic feeling that the originals/main line games give you. You might find going back into the previous titles a little harder, just because the gameplay is so drastically different, that you'll automatically throw the old games to the side, which definitely should not be done.
    Also, if you DO get Skyrim, I really recommend getting it on the PC, just for the purpose of modding and replay value. Yes, there are infinitely spawning quests, but those are typically fetch quests or "go to X and kill Y" quests, and they get REALLY dull after awhile. If you can't get it for PC, then hold off and see what Beth does with the add-ons for the PS3. Looking at all the issues they're having with them, it might be safe to say the PS3 is going to get it's own DLC all together, but wait awhile. I'd say if there's nothing before June, just go ahead and get it then.


    TL;DR:
    Skyrim is a completely different beast compared to the other TES titles, but it is still a good title with some pretty good replay value, if you are creative enough. If you haven't played TES before, get it, but DO NOT take Skyrim's gameplay as how the entire series works. If you HAVE played TES games before, it's pretty different, but still great to play through.
    Basically this.

    Even disregarding the mods, you definitely should avoid getting it on PS3 - my friend let me borrow his PS3 copy and it plays horribly. It runs at like 20 FPS and there are lag spikes every few seconds (albeit minor ones).

  10. #910
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    .....In America
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmorAndonomon View Post
    Until we get a DLC like Shivering Isles, something absolutely massive, I'm not buying anything.
    Why was shivering isles so big? What was in it? I understand you go to Sheogorath's realm of oblivion, but can someone explain it in a bit more detail?

    Also, I just got oblivion. What should my main skills be?
    I have claimed Alduin, the mighty dragon! He shall one day return to bring forth the end of time, and fulfill the prophecy of the world eater.

  11. #911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatGonzales View Post
    Why was shivering isles so big? What was in it? I understand you go to Sheogorath's realm of oblivion, but can someone explain it in a bit more detail?
    None can say why it was so large, but it was huge and we don't care, because it was pretty much an entire campaign by itself, which is why it was so expensive at the time. It's exactly what DLC SHOULD be. But yeah, you went to Sheogorath's realm of Oblivion, and you have to help him stop himself from destroying his realm, and in the end, spoilers, your character becomes the new Mad God. It's pretty awesome.
    I'm only posting that outside of spoilers because it's been around for years, so it's not really a spoiler.
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Shivering:About

  12. #912
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    276

    Default

    This is really good to know. I don't PC game, so PS3 would have been my preferred option.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

  13. #913
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,950

    Default

    Halfway on-topic, halfway off: I just started Oblivion for the first time last night while waiting on Dragonborn. It needs to release on PC already. I know I should be lucky I don't play on PS3, but still... I hate how Microsoft and the Xbox gets the DLC over a month early.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

  14. #914
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Moo Moo Farms
    Posts
    3,742

    Default

    just decided to give Oblivion a 3rd try after not liking it twice before. Only interesting thing I've found so far is unlocking the dark brotherhood quests after killing the 3 argonians in the arena.

    Other than that its still pretty boring. Nothing happens in between towns, almost nothing in dungeons 99% of the time, and lock picking and leveling sucks.

    Surprised they made skyrim so good after they had this game.

  15. #915
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    PNC Park
    Posts
    5,087

    Default

    I got Skyrim for Christmas, and am loving so far. Quick question though, the Jarl of Makarath isn't giving me the option to do work for them, so I currently have no way of purchasing the house there. Is there a way to fix this? Also, I'm on the 360.

    woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

  16. #916
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Moo Moo Farms
    Posts
    3,742

    Default

    The Skyrim wiki says that if you completed, The Forsworn Conspiracy, the option to buy a house in Markarth may disappear.

    it says to try and fix it complete all "Kill the leader of [random location]" quests under Miscellaneous, that you may have.

    If all else fails, I suggest maybe doing the civil war quest line in favor of the stormcloaks so Markarth gets a new jarl.
    Last edited by pikasaur; 14th January 2013 at 2:52 PM.

  17. #917
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    PNC Park
    Posts
    5,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pikasaur View Post
    The Skyrim wiki says that if you completed, The Forsworn Conspiracy, the option to buy a house in Markarth may disappear.

    it says to try and fix it complete all "Kill the leader of [random location]" quests under Miscellaneous, that you may have.

    If all else fails, I suggest maybe doing the civil war quest line in favor of the stormcloaks so Markarth gets a new jarl.
    Would getting to Season Unending and having Markarth go to the Stormcloaks work for that as well? Because I have too many misc quests active right now that I need to do, and I don't want to look through all of them.

    Oh, and is there a reason that the guards of holds are attacking me on sight when I don't have bounty? I'm wearing the Shrouded Gloves when this happens.

    woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

  18. #918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pikasaur View Post
    just decided to give Oblivion a 3rd try after not liking it twice before. Only interesting thing I've found so far is unlocking the dark brotherhood quests after killing the 3 argonians in the arena.

    Other than that its still pretty boring. Nothing happens in between towns, almost nothing in dungeons 99% of the time, and lock picking and leveling sucks.

    Surprised they made skyrim so good after they had this game.
    I'll assume you started with Skyrim. :u
    As I have warned before, they are two different beasts entirely. Starting with Skyrim gives an unfair bias against the older games, when they're nothing alike at all. Oblivion is more of a game involving patience, urging you to explore and do your own thing, instead of Skryim, which pretty much rewards you for having a character that can do everything instead of specializing, and you don't have to be patient at all, you just rush in and do whatever. Oblivion counts on the idea that you will talk to EVERYONE, and ask for rumors to lead you to new quests, and that you will explore every inch of the land without someone telling you "OH GOD SOME DUDE STOLE MY X AND WENT TO Y CAVE GO THERE EVEN THOUGH YOU PROBABLY RAN PAST IT BEFORE."

    Also, Leveling in Oblivion is different because your character isn't meant to be a jack of all trades moron like in Skyrim; you focus on your main skills and create your character to adapt to certain situations. You're rewarded in Skyrim for just doing whatever you want, which is why it appeals to a wider, ADD audience, because the idea of trying to stick to one or two methods of doing things is tedious and boring to them.

    If you want to enjoy Oblivion, forget EVERYTHING you know about Skryim. Try to get into the atmosphere, get comfortable, and be willing to explore and talk to people in-game. Also, Shivering Isles. Yeah, Oblivion's main plot is pretty bland (Skyrim's is arguably even more bland, but HURR DURR DRAGONS XD), but you don't have to focus on the main plot. The Dark Brotherhood plot is pretty damn good, and the Thieves' Guild isn't too bad either, but if you would plan on doing them both in one run, you MUST do the Thieves' guild first, because their plots mix together. The best order to actually do the guilds in is probably Thieves', Fighters', Mage's, and finish with DB.

    Did I mention do the Shivering Isles? Because you should go to the Shivering Isles.

    Also, Skyrim's caves and dungeons are RIDICULOUSLY linear compared to any other game in the series. Then again, most games these days are pretty damn linear, which for a sandbox game is disgusting.
    Last edited by ArmorAndonomon; 14th January 2013 at 7:29 PM.

  19. #919
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Moo Moo Farms
    Posts
    3,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmorAndonomon View Post
    I'll assume you started with Skyrim. :u
    As I have warned before, they are two different beasts entirely. Starting with Skyrim gives an unfair bias against the older games, when they're nothing alike at all. Oblivion is more of a game involving patience, urging you to explore and do your own thing, instead of Skryim, which pretty much rewards you for having a character that can do everything instead of specializing, and you don't have to be patient at all, you just rush in and do whatever. Oblivion counts on the idea that you will talk to EVERYONE, and ask for rumors to lead you to new quests, and that you will explore every inch of the land without someone telling you "OH GOD SOME DUDE STOLE MY X AND WENT TO Y CAVE GO THERE EVEN THOUGH YOU PROBABLY RAN PAST IT BEFORE."

    Also, Leveling in Oblivion is different because your character isn't meant to be a jack of all trades moron like in Skyrim; you focus on your main skills and create your character to adapt to certain situations. You're rewarded in Skyrim for just doing whatever you want, which is why it appeals to a wider, ADD audience, because the idea of trying to stick to one or two methods of doing things is tedious and boring to them.

    If you want to enjoy Oblivion, forget EVERYTHING you know about Skryim. Try to get into the atmosphere, get comfortable, and be willing to explore and talk to people in-game. Also, Shivering Isles. Yeah, Oblivion's main plot is pretty bland (Skyrim's is arguably even more bland, but HURR DURR DRAGONS XD), but you don't have to focus on the main plot. The Dark Brotherhood plot is pretty damn good, and the Thieves' Guild isn't too bad either, but if you would plan on doing them both in one run, you MUST do the Thieves' guild first, because their plots mix together. The best order to actually do the guilds in is probably Thieves', Fighters', Mage's, and finish with DB.

    Did I mention do the Shivering Isles? Because you should go to the Shivering Isles.

    Also, Skyrim's caves and dungeons are RIDICULOUSLY linear compared to any other game in the series. Then again, most games these days are pretty damn linear, which for a sandbox game is disgusting.
    yes i did start with skyrim.

    Asking for rumors in the imperial city though, only leads to people saying how good some stores are.

    and since i only rented Oblivion, i don't plan on buying Shivering Isles.

    also, what city are the guilds in?


    Quote Originally Posted by woot21 View Post
    Would getting to Season Unending and having Markarth go to the Stormcloaks work for that as well? Because I have too many misc quests active right now that I need to do, and I don't want to look through all of them.

    Oh, and is there a reason that the guards of holds are attacking me on sight when I don't have bounty? I'm wearing the Shrouded Gloves when this happens.

    woot21 out dawgs
    I always do the civil war quests before i get that far, but from what I've read doing Season unending would work too.

    As for the guards, unless your a vampire i have no idea.
    Last edited by pikasaur; 15th January 2013 at 1:53 AM.

  20. #920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pikasaur View Post
    yes i did start with skyrim.

    Asking for rumors in the imperial city though, only leads to people saying how good some stores are.

    and since i only rented Oblivion, i don't plan on buying Shivering Isles.

    also, what city are the guilds in?
    What system did you rent it for, if you don't mind me asking?

    The Fighter's and Mages' guilds are in all cities, except for the Imperial city, which only has the Mage's College.
    The Thieves' Guild is everywhere, but starts in the Imperial City, by the docks.
    The Dark Brotherhood is also everywhere, but starts when you kill an innocent person and then sleep.

    The Imperial City isn't that great for rumors, unless you're looking for one of the ways to start the Thieves' guild quests, then you bribe a bum and ask them for rumors. Most other cities and random encounters can tip you off for some pretty creative quests, including one where you go into a painting. It's p cool.

  21. #921
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Moo Moo Farms
    Posts
    3,742

    Default

    rented it for xbox 360, and it goes back tomorrow.

    Is the thieves guild started by people talking about the Grey Fox? Had some dude give me a news handout about him, and they started hanging his wanted poster around town.

    couldn't figure out what to do after that.

  22. #922
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    PNC Park
    Posts
    5,087

    Default

    Got it worked out. I apparently was in the middle of a bounty quest for The Reach. Now own three homes. My favorite is probably Breezehome still, simply for the second chest in the same room as the Alchemy Lab, which allows me to store ingredients away from my other stuff. Why is it that none of the other homes have this? The home in Makarath would be perfect (IMO) if there was a second chest in it. I guess I need to build up some money and see if the one in Solitude is any better for that.

    woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

  23. #923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pikasaur View Post
    rented it for xbox 360, and it goes back tomorrow.

    Is the thieves guild started by people talking about the Grey Fox? Had some dude give me a news handout about him, and they started hanging his wanted poster around town.

    couldn't figure out what to do after that.
    The Thieves guild can be started in multiple ways, one is by asking about the Grey Fox, but ultimately you go to the Imperial City docks at midnight, and near the little shabby homes off to the side, you'll see a group of people gathered behind a house. Talk to them, do the quest, and you're in. In the end, you get the Springheel Jack boots, which give you a godly Acrobatics skill, so it's worth it. However, you DO lose them unless you trick the game, so there's that setback, but.

  24. #924
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom & Ireland
    Posts
    1,608

  25. #925
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    Just got the game recently, and i really like it.

    But i still carry too much stuff so i get overweight, and i still die in fights with high health enemies. I'm currently at Level 10. My Archery and Sneaking skill is currently the highest in the skills menu.

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •