Thread: Etrian Odyssey Thread

Default Etrian Odyssey Thread

There hasn't been anything new in my handheld repertoire, so I decided to dip into this series by buying Etrian Odyssey Untold on the eShop today (as it is on sale for $14.99 till Aug 10th). I guess I'm going to wait for an EOIV sale just to start from the lowest upgraded form of the series on the 3DS.

And why not start a thread? Let's do something different than plaguing this board with first party stuff from Nintendo.

Well Untold II came out today, and some of the DLC is free for a while, so I decided to grab it. Haven't played it yet, but I do have Untold I and EO:IV, though I will fully admit I haven't played through either one fully. Barely played any of Untold I and stuck on Kibagami in IV.
    Last edited by Recon; 4th August 2015 at 10:29 PM.
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

Quote Originally Posted by Recon View Post
    Well Untold II came out today, and some of the DLC is free for a while, so I decided to grab it.
    Yeeeeeeah, I'm going to wait for a sale for that one. I want to be sure I like this series first, but the Untold I demo seemed more promising than the brutal EOIV one.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Yeeeeeeah, I'm going to wait for a sale for that one. I want to be sure I like this series first, but the Untold I demo seemed more promising than the brutal EOIV one.
    What I don't get is why Untold II is $50 on the eshop when it's just the game, while the retail version comes with a CD and artbook.

What I don't get is why Untold II is $50 on the eshop when it's just the game, while the retail version comes with a CD and artbook.
    Welcome to the dreaded Atlus Tax.

$10 extra sweet dollars slapped on everything they make since SMTIV, no matter if they have extra physical content or not.

I've played both IV and Untold, and I became completely immersed in both of them. Time just passes by so quickly when I play those games.
    That said, the 50$ price for Untold 2 really is a bit much. I'm torn on if I should grab it early for the free DLC or if I should just wait until it goes on sale like Chris is.

Anyway, while Untold was newer and easier, I actually liked IV better. I liked its subclass system far more then Untold's randomized grimoire system, and I felt like the skill trees gave me more freedom to plan ahead as well.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 5th August 2015 at 12:36 AM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 8 Battles
    Anyone who says all pokemon are created equal cearly hasn't had much experience with Unown.

Quick question, where does Persona Q stand in this? Obviously, the game has a lot of Persona influence, but at it's core, it's a EO game. Thoughts?

While we're at it, What about Etrian Mystery Dungeon?

I don't ever by these games new due to Atlus' terrible 25% on their games but I've tried to get into the first person dungeon crawlers but I just can't do it

Quick question, where does Persona Q stand in this? Obviously, the game has a lot of Persona influence, but at it's core, it's a EO game. Thoughts?
    It has EOU mechanics, but it combines them with the extra turn and Persona change system, the latter one which is essentially changing strengths and weaknesses around.

Was actually thinking of making a thread for this when EO2U came out but wasn't around to do it. Still can't pick the game up myself which is a shame since the demo was enough to tell me how much better it was than EOU. Maybe I'll wait for the inevitable sale in a few months, I don't know.

In the meantime I decided to finish EOU on Classic Mode since I already 100% everything else in Story Mode, stuck to Expert Mode (apparently this is what the original EO difficulty was so) the whole way and despite the frustrations only Corotrangul actually tripped me up because too much damage. Cernunnos too since Fire/Ice/Volt Chaser Landsknecht, Flame Grater/Lightning Stab/Frigid Slash Ronin and Alchemist as my damage dealers kinda struggled with the Healing Rollers using Holy Veil. Not sticking to Expert for Claret Hollows though, already did that once and I never want to do that or the 6th Stratum boss on Expert ever again.

Also replaying EO4 since I already got 100% of the game done but wanted to try out Arcanist, Nightseeker and eventually Imperial. I couldn't really tell before but wow yeah EO4 is way easier. Also missing the faster battle speed and walking speed.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Bagon // Platinum Nuzlocke

The second boss of the third stratum is becoming a major pain. Even after obtaining a grimoire with a level 3 ice wall, its Flood attack deals a lot of damage and puts my side to sleep.

I think I will rely on the anti-sleep brooches made through Sleeping Eyeballs, but I hope the drop in defense doesn't set me back.

The second boss of the third stratum is becoming a major pain. Even after obtaining a grimoire with a level 3 ice wall, its Flood attack deals a lot of damage and puts my side to sleep.

I think I will rely on the anti-sleep brooches made through Sleeping Eyeballs, but I hope the drop in defense doesn't set me back.
    Yeah, that boss is a pain solely because of how much damage it does. Level 4 Ice Wall mitigates the damage from Flood a lot though Tackle still does monstrous damage. While its the only boss so far that doesn't rely on summoning allies it makes up for it with absurd power. In general those accessories are definitely worth the defense drop if it's for a boss you know will be a pain spamming a specific status move. Especially if it's going on your Protector.

On a side note I'd focus on getting those element walls up if you haven't yet since they're incredibly valuable for late game and all the bonus stuff. Particularly Volt Wall for this next stratum, and Fire Wall.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Bagon // Platinum Nuzlocke

In EOU, does changing difficulty settings affect anything that should be obtained when sticking to one difficulty the entire time?

I'm asking this because I'm grinding stuff like crazy in the 5th stratum. I so do not want to waste an entire week level grinding when I can put it in Picnic Mode just to grind and go back to Expert to defeat the big main bosses.

In EOU, does changing difficulty settings affect anything that should be obtained when sticking to one difficulty the entire time?

I'm asking this because I'm grinding stuff like crazy in the 5th stratum. I so do not want to waste an entire week level grinding when I can put it in Picnic Mode just to grind and go back to Expert to defeat the big main bosses.
    Nothing at all is lost if you change the difficulty to Picnic while grinding. Incredibly useful to do so when level grinding so you can beat up on FOE's with the EXP or Rare Breeds bonus in the 5th and 6th stratum. The only thing difficulty changes is the ability to get the Guild Card medal for beating the 6th stratum boss, which can't be obtained on Picnic Mode. Might not be obtainable on Standard either but I'm not sure, but regardless that's all that's affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Psynergy View Post
    Nothing at all is lost if you change the difficulty to Picnic while grinding. Incredibly useful to do so when level grinding so you can beat up on FOE's with the EXP or Rare Breeds bonus in the 5th and 6th stratum. The only thing difficulty changes is the ability to get the Guild Card medal for beating the 6th stratum boss, which can't be obtained on Picnic Mode. Might not be obtainable on Standard either but I'm not sure, but regardless that's all that's affected.
    Eh, I switch back to Expert for the main bosses.

And I'm already in the post-game. How do I get rid of this suicidal level cap again?

Eh, I switch back to Expert for the main bosses.

And I'm already in the post-game. How do I get rid of this suicidal level cap again?
    Beat Storm Emperor, Blizzard King and Great Dragon. All of these are quest bosses and you'll get access to those quests as you progress in Claret Hollows, you don't get access to all three right away. Defeating any one of them increases the level cap by 10 with the last one increasing it by 9 for an absolute cap of level 99.

These were a bit of a drag to get, but I seized all King Grimoires in one day and managed to get the Seven Kings' Grimoire achievement.

What kind of sleazy move to increase the drop rate is matching last digit numbers in your Guild Card. I'm sure as hell you wouldn't find out in-game.

Yeah those Grimoires were awful to get. And then they aren't even all good. Wolf Pack and Phoenix Wings are solid though.

Meanwhile I decided to go ahead and get EO2U after all, lucked out and got a physical copy so I got all the little bonus stuff. Enjoying this game quite a bit more than EOU already. The lack of a dedicated elemental attacker that doesn't use physical damage is a little annoying though.

Now EOIV is on sale at the same price.

Worth the buy?

Now EOIV is on sale at the same price.

Worth the buy?
    I started with that one and really enjoyed it, skill trees are more dynamic and the subclassing system is really neat. Way better than Grimoire Stones. If you've gotten a taste of EOU Classic and forming your own party this game also focuses on that, since Story Mode is only a thing in EOU and EO2U. After coming from EOU Expert, the game is noticeably easier, especially in the very beginning (this game is easily the most beginner friendly one). The game eases you into the difficulty as you go on and bosses are still serious threats, although it's far more manageable for the most part. The fact that you cannot speed up battle animations is annoying though so if you eventually increased battle speeds in EOU, it'll feel like playing a Gen 4 game after playing Gen 5/6. Also if you liked the "one huge labyrinth" deal, this game takes a different approach which makes things feel a little shorter, albeit also turning it into its own experience. For $15, I'd say it's worth it if you're enjoying Etrian Odyssey's gameplay.
    Last edited by Psynergy; 28th August 2015 at 4:48 AM.

I'm enjoying this game after all, ignoring the updates that Untold got over it.

Woo-hoo, guest party members.