: This version of the prototype is the “pure” version that has been sitting in my head for a while. This particular version completely removes the idea of credits and rank, turning the “rank” of the clan into an ongoing struggle to win the most consecutive battles and stay on top of the Hall of Fame (see the details bellow for the catch to all of this) and is by no means the final product
. As such all of our ranks will be replaced with user titles, which everyone can, used (designed to be as awesome as possible); and people can optionally choose to take part in the king of the hill hunt.
My justification for this is that most users simply stopped caring for rank, as it is not, and has never been a legitimate showing of skill or ability and as such has stopped promoting battle. Secondly, with wifi falling into chronic disuse, the ‘credits’ or ‘points’ that have been used in the past have no viable use for shops or anything else, and merely become ranking for ranking sake. This leaves us with a large percentage of the user base that do not utilize our banners because the opening ranks are obnoxious and ranking has become a chore for both the administrators and the users. This alternative is meant to allow for an engaging clan structure, that is designed to change hands rapidly; while giving those who opt out the ability to use and promote the clan with titles that are not embarrassing to be seen with. Finally and most importantly, this is intended to do what ranks once did: encourage battles between members.
The Rule of the Game:
The king of the hill game play has its roots in certain shooter style games, where one must retain a spot or crown for as long as possible, while other members attempt to encroach and steal the title. Here is no different, you are tasked with gaining the crown and defending it for as many consecutive wins as possible. Those who maintain long winning streaks will be placed in the Hall of Fame/Leader Board. Challenge your peers and aim for the top; but be wary the road ahead is not an easy one:
• The leader(s) who are running the ‘game’ will choose random battle types from the established metagames, OR create custom rules and stipulations. These rules will change over time and are effective immediately as posted, so the goal is to be able to adapt and play across various challenges no matter how out of the ordinary they may be.
• Battles will be played on either Pokemon Showdown or Pokemon Online. We ask that you be civil and accommodating as some players may not have access to both. So if you can use both, please be courteous to your opponent.
• Players must abide by the rules/game type posted for each battle (which will be announced in chat and on the thread and then archived for reference on the first page)
• Should a new king need to be decided, the leader will allow and choose two available and eligible members to battle in the given style, the winner will be crowned the new King of the Hill.
• The current King must accept all challenges as immediately as possible [barring extraordinary circumstances] and in the order they are received (the order rule may change as testing progresses). Should a king get too many requests in one day, they may be deferred to the next day if necessary, but at least 1-2 should be accepted regardless. [TMK’s note: my hope is that challenges will happen in chat and we can avoid queuing]
• Battles are Best of 1, regardless of hax (seriously, no whining)
and a fallen king must relinquish his/her title immediately and in the spirit of fairness may not attempt to regain the crown until the new king has played at least 1 other title defense or X amount of days have passed [tentatively 24 hours, but is subject to change]
• Results of king of the hill battles MUST be posted in the clan thread, for my sake please include your current streak count in the posts for record keeping purposes.
• The reigning king is exclusively permitted to use the “King of the Hill rank”
• Leaders (BGP, Purp, Hiro and myself) are ineligible
for the title, and may not compete; ensuring no conflict on interest when choosing a game type.
• In the event that the reigning King of the Hill goes inactive for long term (exact number of days TBD and will be decided depending on the first round of testing), the title will be removed and the next two challengers will face off for the title: allowing play to resume.
• Should, for any reason the current King of the hill know they will be on a long term leave, they may at the Leader’s discretion be allowed to freeze their streak; and a new king will be set up as in the above rule, upon return the current king and the returning player will battle and the winner’s streak continues. [May also be subject to change]
• Allows users to opt into the system, without being stuck with awful user bars (^ Promotion of clan)
• Battle-centric and encourages quick battles
• Title is designed to move from one to another and cuts down amount of tracking the leaders have to do.
• With the exception of rule changes, the leaders do not necessarily have to change the list as the user can add the user bar. Hall of fame must be updated but is significantly less work than tracking individual points or credits.
• Simplicity, anyone can challenge, anyone can have the title.
• Encourages play of multiple styles.
• Heavily dependent on user participation, although this is offset somewhat by the ease in which it can be restarted.
• Some may dislike that it is NOT a true rank system [although that was the point]
• Time zones may factor in as a problem
• Potential for situation where only 2 people are battling back and forth.
• Would be nice to develop an added incentive for participants, but we will see how it goes
- Testing will determine whether this should be clan wide or divided by groups; the pros and cons of such will be extrapolated on a later date, and is NOT the purpose of this round of testing.
- To be filled in as test runs.