View Poll Results: Are you Entering the NU Tourney

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I Am

6 60.00%
  • No I'm Not

4 40.00%
Page 616 of 908 FirstFirst ... 516566606612613614615616617618619620626666716 ... LastLast
Results 15,376 to 15,400 of 22694

Thread: The Hoenn Triangle

If this guy is for scouting does he really want Coil?

Here me out

So he sends out electross.

He then can, depending on the team/pokemon, either use u-turn or coil.

After that, if he uses coil, the other player will probably switch a pokemon in, maybe to set up alongst it.

Electross can either use drain punch or dragon tail. How bout it? :/
    [img]http://i41.*******.com/2m2fivq.png[/img]
    Lovely Art by Equal-to-Heaven
    Join the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League!
    |PASBL|FB|Manga|A little something to watch|Art|
    [img]http://i42.*******.com/2lw4umr.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Icarus View Post
    you really don't need all three of those though....

It might be useful to hit pokemon super effectively when you switch out, but the whole point of those is to scout.

How bout this?

Electross- Drain Punch, U-turn, Dragon tail, Coil.
    Yeah, better, but Volt Switch is just there for STAB. Jolly would lower VS's power but it's still STAB and may provide better coverage for petty Flying types in RU.

Okay, with that set:
    Slowking (wall)
    Dusknoir (Burn-Support)
    Drapion (Tank)
    Eelektross (Scout-Semi-Attacker)

How about Kabutops for Spinner-Attacker or Aerodactyl for QuakEdge?
    Last edited by Blackjack the Titan; 19th May 2013 at 11:53 PM.

Considering your team I don't really think you need a spinner. Stealth rocks would be nice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GenosectArceus View Post
    Yeah, better, but Volt Switch is just there for STAB. Jolly would lower VS's power but it's still STAB and may provide better coverage for petty Flying types in RU.

Okay, with that set:
    Slowking (wall)
    Dusknoir (Burn-Support)
    Drapion (Tank)
    Eelektross (Scout-Semi-Attacker)

How about Kabutops for Spinner-Attacker or Aerodactyl for QuakEdge?
    Eelektross? I wouldn't suggest that pokemon...its actually quite weak. Why not Manectric? Its also a great scout, and is a great Switcheroo/Choice user!

Manectric@Choice Scarf
    EVS: 252 SpA; 252 Spd; 4 HP
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    Trait: Lightningrod
    - Volt Switch
    - Overheat
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Thunderbolt

Yeah, EVS to maximise its speed and special attack to hit as hard as possible, and lightningrod is a neat trick to take electric type attacks aimed at slowking.

And yes, USE KABUTOPS ITS FRICKIN AMAZING!

And just got notified by KOTS that hes starting a new tourney, and do any of ya wanna participate? For those people who dont know, KOTS recently made a really good tourney.
    Last edited by justinjiaxinghu; 20th May 2013 at 11:21 AM.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Ok sooooooo.
    I think
    Eelektross
    -Dragon Tail
    -Drain punch
    -Uturn
    -Volt switch.

What's the discussion about? An RU team?

Slowking- Electric, Ghost, Grass, Dark, Bug
    Dusknoir- Ghost, Dark
    Drapion- Ground

So far that's your teams weaknesses. Drapion resists the Dark, Ghost and Grass moves rather well, and Dusknoir is immune to Ground with it's Levitate. That leaves Electric and Bug to counter. I'm going to agree with the Scarf Manectric, as it's probably the fastest thing in the tier, can take Electric hits and has Overheat for Bug types. Ground is also sorted by Dusknoir, and Slowking to some extent. I think Steelix would make a great member of this team. It has Stealth Rock, a monstrous Defence and great Attack, is immune to Electric, takes nothing from Bug, Dark and Ghost attacks, and can use Dragon Tail/Roar to switch around and rack up hazards. It's a decent choice.

Back to my LC team:

Mienfoo@ Life Orb
    Jolly Nature (+Spe/-SpA)
    236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
    Regenerator
    • High Jump Kick
    • U- Turn
    • Stone Edge
    • Fake Out

Info: Mienfoo is simply very powerful. This is the set I chose for my Hail team Mienfoo, and I liked it. HJK is STAB, and deals severe damage. U- Turn and Regenerator work really well together, and Fake Out is always useful. Stone Edge is for coverage.

I next picked Murkrow, for the amazing ability to check Ghost and Psychic types. Mienfoo also beats Rock and Ice types, only leaving an Electric and Flying weaknesses to counter.

Murkrow@ Life Orb
    Naďve Nature (+Spe/-SpD)
    240 Atk / 80 SpA / 188 Spe
    Super Luck
    • Drill Peck
    • Sucker Punch
    • Heat Wave
    • Hidden Power {Grass}

Info: MixKrow is once again useful, being able to beat Misdreavus and any other Ghost types, as well as Abra and Psychic types.

To counter my weakness to Flying and Electric, I picked Chinchou. It can form a VoltTurn Core with Mienfoo, is immune to Electric and takes both of my weaknesses out, with Murkrow resisting/immune to Chinchou's weaknesses. A fantastic core in general.

Chinchou@ Choice Scarf
    Timid Nature (+Spe/-Atk)
    52 Def / 232 SpA / 224 Spe
    Volt Absorb
    • Volt Switch
    • Hydro Pump
    • Thunderbolt
    • Ice Beam

Info: A great Scarf user. It also suits my purpose of Chinchou.

I needed a spinner, and maybe hazards. So I picked Drilbur, to do both. But I had a plan for a Stealth Rock Pokémon. Drilbur handles most Electric types rather well, which helps Chinchou. Water and Ice are resisted by Chinchou, and Grass is taken care of by Murkrow.

Drilbur@ Eviolite
    Jolly Nature (+Spe/-SpA)
    36 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
    Mold Breaker
    • Earthquake
    • Rock Slide
    • Rapid Spin
    • Toxic

Info: Drilbur is there to spin, and does a rather good job at it. This is the only set viable on a non Sand team, and will hopefully work better than it did on my Hail team.

Team looks good, but I now need the stated wall, a Pokémon that can set up hazards, tank hits and really just be like a brick wall. I picked Bronzor. Levitate means a weakness to Fire, but Chinchou takes those all day. Bronzor also supports the team with possible screens?

Bronzor@ Eviolite
    Careful Nature (+SpD/-SpA)
    220 HP / 4 Atk / 68 Def / 4 SpA / 148 SpD / 16 Spe
    Levitate
    • Stealth Rock
    • Flash Cannon
    • Earthquake
    • Toxic

Info: Broznor is undoubtedly a fantastic wall. The set explains itself.

Finally, I need a Pokémon that can reliably take Fire and Fighting attacks and retain some bulk. The best option I had was Bagon, who has Wish and can pass those reliably. It's also quite bulky, and takes Fire attacks rather well. Aw well to Fighting types. I'll just hope to KO them before they can wreck my team.

Bagon@ Eviolite
    Relaxed Nature (+Def/-Spe)
    236 HP / 196 Def / 36 SpA / 36 SpD
    Rock Head
    • Wish
    • Dragon Claw
    • Fire Blast
    • Protect

Info: Bagon can actually take some hits rather reliably, and can use Wish, which is great for Bronzor.
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 20th May 2013 at 6:15 PM.

With all of the team building going on I decided I would post my work in progress.

This is my residual damage stall team for use in singles matches. I’m running traps, hail, and recovering walls in order to burn out my opposition. The only unsure thing about the team in my opinion is Lucario, but he seems to fit the bill despite that. The only problem I see really threatening this team is opposition with a lot of dark type contribution in it. I am completely open to suggestions and I'm not afraid of being wrong. This is my first team build for competitive play and I suspect there will be kinks to work out.

FORRETRESS @ leftovers
    Ability: sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk
    Nature: relaxed
    -Rapid Spin
    -Spikes
    -Stealth Rock
    -Gyro Ball

*Forretress is my opener and trap setter. Rapid spin is for fending off opposing traps obviously.

ABOMASNOW @ leftovers
    Ability: snow warning
    EVs: 252 HP/150 Def/106 SpAt
    Nature: calm
    -Ice Shard
    -Giga Drain
    -Substitute
    -Blizzard

*I expect to follow up with Hail after setting traps. Ice shard and blizzard are to give him some stopping power, and Giga Drain is my preference over Leech Seed. Depending on the opposition, I will either wall with Abomasnow or switch in Gengar.

GENGAR @ black sludge
    Ability: levitate
    EVs: 252 HP/150 SpAtk/106 Spd
    Nature: impish
    - Disable
    -Shadow Ball
    -Substitute
    -Focus Blast

*I’ll be using Gengar as another wall and switch instigator. With disable I can hopefully force threats with a standby dark move to switch after their attack slams into the substitute and gets disabled.

CLEFABLE @ life orb
    Ability: magic guard
    EVs: 252 Def/252 HP/4 SpAtk
    Nature: quiet
    -Wish
    -Substitute
    -Cosmic Power
    -Stored Power

*I initially had Sigilyph in this slot, but I feel that a wish passer could easily field the cosmic/stored combo just as effectively.

JELLICENT @ leftovers
    Ability: cursed body
    EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 Spd
    Nature: calm
    -Scald
    -Toxic
    -Will O' Wisp
    -Recover

*The gastly mustache is my utility mixed attacker with the ability to burn and poison. Leftovers and recover will keep him in the fight so long as nothing super effective comes knocking.

RIOLU @ eviolite
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 56 Def/180 HP/56 SDef/216 Spd
    Nature: Jolly
    -Copycat
    -Roar
    -Substitute
    -Toxic

*Lucario has been replaced by Riolu for forced switching and poison distribution. The increased speed will ensure that substitute gets off first most of the time and the roar copycat combo will keep the enemy in constant rotation through hazards and hail.

-Gamma
    Last edited by Lord Gamma; 20th May 2013 at 5:02 PM.

Why Gengar and Jellicent? You probably don't need both. I don't play doubles, so I can't really be very helpful. Maybe try Kyurem (normal Kyurem) with a SubRoost set and Toxic Spikes (maybe over Spikes?). Kyurem can really stall with a SubRoost set in Hail, and has a decent Special Attack to abuse Blizzard with.

Kyurem@ Leftovers
    Modest Nature (+SpA/-Atk)
    EVs: 52 HP / 220 SpA / 236 Spe
    Pressure
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Roost
    ~ Blizzard
    ~ Earth Power
    This set works rather well. 52 EVs in HP means you have 101 HP Subs, which means Seismic Toss and Night Shade can't break it in one hit. Useful when stalling Blissey. I think Chansey and Blissey lose to this Kyurem with Toxic Spikes and maybe Stealth Rock/Spikes on the field. It's really good.

I'm planning a HG runthrough, but playing it like a journal. I've not fully decided the team. Considering Meganium, Furret, Sudowoodo, Magmortar, Kingdra and Xatu.
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 20th May 2013 at 6:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snivy trainer View Post
    Why Gengar and Jellicent? You probably don't need both. I don't play doubles, so I can't really be very helpful.
    Thanks for the input Snivy. This team isn't for doubles though. It's meant for singles. Nevertheless, I suppose I should have mentioned that I'm not inclined to use legendaries. I don't like using them because they feel gimmicky and overused. There are just too many underappreciated pokemon out there for everyone to use the same handful of pokemon that there isn't supposed to be more than copy of anyway . I mean, I love Giratina and he runs a close second to Gengar on my list of favorites, but I guess I'm a bit hung up on not using him or other legendary pokemon unless its for a themed tourney or something. However, I digress. I chose Jellicent for water coverage and extra status really. He's pretty bulky too. I'm open to other suggestions though so long as they aren't legendary.

-Gamma
    Last edited by Lord Gamma; 20th May 2013 at 7:53 PM.

Hmm... Milotic or Suicune might be decent options. Milotic can stall rather well with Marvel Scale, and Suicune is just Suicune. Both assist Forretress in a way, taking Fire moves and Roaring away and racking up hazards. Clefable and Riolu aren't that great either. Blissey or even Chansey are better than Clefable, and Riolu is just... meh. You'e choice.

Edited my LC team a few posts above.

I'm definitely adding Switcheroo Manetric onto the team. It may help out with Defensive Slowking when in Doubles to cover for Bug and Grass counters. Also, Manetric using Switcheroo while holding Choice Scarf and Slowking holding Leftovers may provide the tiny niche of speed Slowking may need in a Bind (risky, but effective against counters to Manetric such as Steelix).

Hmm... Milotic or Suicune might be decent options. Milotic can stall rather well with Marvel Scale, and Suicune is just Suicune. Both assist Forretress in a way, taking Fire moves and Roaring away and racking up hazards. Clefable and Riolu aren't that great either. Blissey or even Chansey are better than Clefable, and Riolu is just... meh. You'e choice.
    Prankster Riolu with eviolite was suggested to me for forcing switches and I wanted a more offensive alternative to Chansey/Blissey which I think I found in Clefable. However, I do like your suggestion to use Milotic. I just snatched one out of the wild a few minutes ago:

Milotic @ leftovers
    Ability: Marvel Scale
    Nature: Lonely
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spd
    -Ice Beam
    -Recover
    -Scald
    -Dragon Tail
    Last edited by Lord Gamma; 20th May 2013 at 8:33 PM.

So I was looking at sets for RU Drapion and the Swords Dance set looks interesting.
    Drapion @Black Sludge
    Sniper
    Jolly w/ 252Atk/4Def/252Spe
    Swords Dance
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Poison Jab

My only dilemma is that I always implement Night Slash onto Sniper Drapion. That would be a 210 base attack that has a higher crit. rate than Crunch which would have 240 att. if crit. occurs. All of these are added onto the Swords Dance boost.
    Should I stay with Crunch or should I convert to Night Slash?

@Genesect: Night Slash sounds like the better option to me.

An offensive Drapion would be a fantastic way of introducing Steelix as a main wall

Crunch has a chance of lowering defense, and the chances of getting a crit are slim in some cases, so I wouldn't bet on it. I say Crunch. Bit more reliable in the long run (how many crits are you really going to get on it in a match? Compared to a higher damage Crunch, which does a consistant 80 base damage, throughout all the points in a match).

Quote Originally Posted by justinjiaxinghu View Post
    Eelektross? I wouldn't suggest that pokemon...its actually quite weak. Why not Manectric? Its also a great scout, and is a great Switcheroo/Choice user!

Manectric@Choice Scarf
    EVS: 252 SpA; 252 Spd; 4 HP
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    Trait: Lightningrod
    - Volt Switch
    - Overheat
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Thunderbolt

Yeah, EVS to maximise its speed and special attack to hit as hard as possible, and lightningrod is a neat trick to take electric type attacks aimed at slowking.

And yes, USE KABUTOPS ITS FRICKIN AMAZING!

And just got notified by KOTS that hes starting a new tourney, and do any of ya wanna participate? For those people who dont know, KOTS recently made a really good tourney.
    I feel as if his last tourney dragged on for longer than it should have. I might participate if its a clan thing. I gotta was THT!
    Signature edited due to exceeding the gif size limit. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.

An offensive Drapion would be a fantastic way of introducing Steelix as a main wall

Crunch has a chance of lowering defense, and the chances of getting a crit are slim in some cases, so I wouldn't bet on it. I say Crunch. Bit more reliable in the long run (how many crits are you really going to get on it in a match? Compared to a higher damage Crunch, which does a consistant 80 base damage, throughout all the points in a match).
    True, and Sniper already promotes higher crit.
    Maybe if I got a stronger Water pokemon I can implement Steelix and Drapion as a pair in doubles, but not the first to go out. That's saved for Manetric and a trapper or hazard support Pokemon.

Also, who's KOTS?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade2000 View Post
    Ok sooooooo.
    I think
    Eelektross
    -Dragon Tail
    -Drain punch
    -Uturn
    -Volt switch.
    No No No Don't run Volt Switch and U-Turn on the same set

@Shade KOTS is kingothestone, who started the Combatants Cup tournament recently.

And I rarely actually see offensive variants of Drapion, I usually see defensive variants running Toxic Spikes and such.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

So I am starting to create a new NU team based around Zangoose. *Will be editing this*

Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Toxic Boost
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
    Moves:
    Quick Attack
    Facade
    Night slash
    Close Combat

Info: With Zangoose's power and good speed, he will be able to sweep the competitors team mid - late game

Item: Heat Rock
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
    Moves:
    Solar Beam
    Psychic
    HP Fire
    Sunny Day

Info: Great Sun Sweeper with amazing Special Attack and helps counter Alomomola
    Latest Shiny!

Found: Route 12
    Method: Chain Fishing
    Date of Catch: 2/14/14
    Currently Hunting: Eevee, Ekans, Skourpi
    Total Shinies: 10

3DS FC: 5429-6844-5288
    Ice FS: Bergmite, Spheal and Lapras

I like it. Get some more sun abusers.

Like Bellossom!!

Justin.......n i know who KOTS is. Genosect Arceas didnt know.
    But KOTS isnt the nicest person either.

I just realised that fight isnt supereffective on grass
    andthat drapion isnt ground type.......

Kots is quite a rigid person I guess. It's quite hard to get to know him but I think he's alright. I was a leader of the last tournament he did never doing that again.

For the RU Team: Kabutops is a decent defensive spinner- rocks Pokémon you could use. Water type too. If not, well...

For the NU team: Decent team again. Nice how everyone goes to make a team. Might want a Bug killer. Dark types in general work well with Zangoose, as they remove Ghost types. But this team looks like a Sun team. Nothing says Sun team like Charizard, who rips through anything under Sun. Rock is removed my Exeggutor, as is Water. Electric is still a problem, but again is resisted by Exeggutor. Bug, Ice, Fire are all removed by Charizard. Might go consider it. But you need a Dark type. Maybe Stuntank, whose Ground weakness is taken by Charizard? Ghost is then removed. Just Dark and Electric left. Steel/Electric, Steel/Dragon, Dragon/Dark all resist those 2 types. Zwelious might work...

I'm testing my LC team.

NOTE: please mods don't kill me I won't be here for a week, why isn't important. So don't wonder why I'm not here. I'll be back, possibly making an NU team.

LC team isn't working. Going for NU now... a tier I'm ok at. Maybe RU...

EDIT: No one's on? WoW. Well, best start to make my NU team.
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 21st May 2013 at 9:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler 99 View Post
    No No No Don't run Volt Switch and U-Turn on the same set
    Volt Switch offers STAB and still makes Eelektross a decent scoutm but not as good as Maneric. But Manetric does not have Dragon Tail, which gives us the opportunity to check the team whilst also damaging the opponent. Oddly Drapion can do the same thing but not inflict damage with its Specially Defensive set that involves Whirlwind.
    Manetric is just a faster Electric type in that tier.

Page 616 of 908 FirstFirst ... 516566606612613614615616617618619620626666716 ... LastLast