View Poll Results: Are you Entering the NU Tourney

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I Am

6 60.00%
  • No I'm Not

4 40.00%
Page 671 of 854 FirstFirst ... 571621661667668669670671672673674675681721771 ... LastLast
Results 16,751 to 16,775 of 21326

Thread: The Hoenn Triangle

Quote Originally Posted by snivy trainer View Post
    I'm still planning out this Sun team. It's difficult though. So many weaknesses.

If I was to use Dugtrio and Xatu, then I'd have 2 Ice weaknesses, and 2 Water weaknesses (thanks to Ninetales) and 2 Rock weaknesses (again, Ninetales). Sure, all are resisted (bar Water). So I'd have to use a Grass type, which is weak to Ice. How annoying.

Foxy (Ninetales) @ Leftovers
    Drought
    EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Flamethrower
    - Will 'O Wisp
    - Sunny Day
    - Substitute

Yep, the one and only Death Fodder Ninetales. Basically if I win the weather war, Ninetales can die to some hit so I can bring in a sweeper or something. Flamethrower does moderate damage, and doesn't leave it weak to Taunt. Will 'O Wisp burns and decreases the Attack of common Physical switch ins, like Landorus and Terrakion. Sunny Day is for when the opponent brings in their weather, and if I predict right Ninetales gets her weather back (i.e for 5 turns) but it's enough to force the opponent to either switch or attack. Substitute blocks status, and can help Ninetales beat Dugtrio (with some prediction).

Trapped! (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
    Arena Trap
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Reversal
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Memento

Trapper Dugtrio is really useful. It beats Tyranitar, which is useful. Weakened Politoed stand no chance, and even the more offensive versions are left crippled or weakened enough for something else to break through. Reversal is at it's best when Dugtrio is at 1 HP. It reliably beats Tyranitar, Heatran and Terrakion- all Pokémon Sun Teams hate. Earthquake pretty much does the same, but can be used at any time (not just at 1 HP) and is STAB. Stone Edge nails Flying types (which avoid Arena Trap, which I never knew). Memento is so useful. When I had my Rain team, this and Toxicroak worked wonders. Dugtrio would sack itself with Memento, Toxicroak would set up and then sweep. It works almost the same for the Sun team (once I have a sweeper for the team).

Jaffacake (Xatu) @ Leftovers
    Magic Bounce
    EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Toxic
    - Roost
    - Heat Wave
    - U- Turn

This actually works as a decent Hippowdon check. I never noticed. If Hippowdon doesn't carry Ice Fang, Xatu walls it. If it does, Xatu can take the hit and then stall it out. Toxic + Roost really bugs most Pokémon, apart from Steel types. Shame, as Heat Wave deals with them rather easily in Sun (apart from Heatran, who's beaten by Dugtrio). U- Turn from a relatively slow Pokémon is good for some set up sweepers, or just wallbreakers in general.
    lol use Starmie/Forretress as your spinner. Adds a water counter if you pick the former, and just some neat physical bulk if you pick the latter. They both resist ice so ya lol.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

I'll be ridding myself of Xatu and Dugtrio for now. Proper planning is needed. So it's back to square one.

Do I go for Donphan or Forretress as my spinner? Forretress only really resists Dragon (still useful) and can set up hazards. Donphan resists Rock, but is weak to Ice and Water (not that Water is an issue).
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 25th July 2013 at 2:01 PM.

Go for Donphan
    Signature edited due to exceeding the gif size limit. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Why I mentioned Ice, I don't know. Just Water that's an issue, and the Sun makes that neutral. So we're good for Donphan! I'm now going to also add either Venusaur or Shiftry to this team.

Foxy (Ninetales) @ Leftovers
    Drought
    EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Flamethrower
    - Will 'O Wisp
    - Sunny Day
    - Substitute

Yep, the one and only Death Fodder Ninetales. Basically if I win the weather war, Ninetales can die to some hit so I can bring in a sweeper or something. Flamethrower does moderate damage, and doesn't leave it weak to Taunt. Will 'O Wisp burns and decreases the Attack of common Physical switch ins, like Landorus and Terrakion. Sunny Day is for when the opponent brings in their weather, and if I predict right Ninetales gets her weather back (i.e. for 5 turns) but it's enough to force the opponent to either switch or attack. Substitute blocks status, and can help Ninetales beat Dugtrio (with some prediction).

SpinMeAway (Donphan) @ Leftovers
    Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard

The spinner of this team. Donphan was mainly overlooked by me- mainly for the lack for resistances (Forretress is immune to Poison, resists Dragon, Bug, Psychic, Dark, Ghost, Grass and Ice and is only weak to Fire. Donphan is immune to Electric, and resists Rock and Poison. It's weak to Water, Grass and Ice and is affected by Toxic Spikes). Back to the set. Rapid Spin is the main reason to use Donphan, and rids the team of annoying hazards. Stealth Rock is our own hazard, and hits everything pretty decently, breaking Sturdy and Focus Sash (so Dugtrio will be beaten with a hit that should 0HKO). Earthquake is decent STAB, and makes Donphan a good counter to Terrakion. Ice Shard nails weakened Dragon types.
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 25th July 2013 at 5:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snivy trainer View Post
    I'll be ridding myself of Xatu and Dugtrio for now. Proper planning is needed. So it's back to square one.

Do I go for Donphan or Forretress as my spinner? Forretress only really resists Dragon (still useful) and can set up hazards. Donphan resists Rock, but is weak to Ice and Water (not that Water is an issue).
    Use Donphan, Forretress is a terrible spinner to put in the sun.

Well, here it is: a replay from my sand team

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-41210255

oh and here is my doubles seeder team
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/sm...ubles-41222605
    Last edited by Yveltal96; 25th July 2013 at 8:26 PM.

Ask me stupid stuff
    Credit for the Banner goes to Sworn Metalhead

Quote Originally Posted by Yveltal96 View Post
    Use Donphan, Forretress is a terrible spinner to put in the sun.

Well, here it is: a replay from my sand team

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-41210255
    Can we battle now?

Conkeldurr sweep! 3rd Rage quit.
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-41225866
    Last edited by The Exalt; 25th July 2013 at 8:41 PM.
    Latest Shiny!

Found: Route 12
    Method: Chain Fishing
    Date of Catch: 2/14/14
    Currently Hunting: Eevee, Ekans, Skourpi
    Total Shinies: 10

3DS FC: 5429-6844-5288
    Ice FS: Bergmite, Spheal and Lapras

Conkeldurr sure is powerful, even after only 1 Bulk Up. I'd add to my OU team, but I'm too tired to make wise decisions. So hey ho.

On separate notes, I've beaten Cyrus at Celestic Town in Platinum. No progress in LG.

Guys, I don't understand why Ferrothorn and Forretress aren't viable in the sun. Both of them are going to get 1HKO'd (not counting Forre's Sturdy) by fire moves anyway. Why does it make any difference in the sun? In pokemon there isn't any difference between 100% and 150%.

Edit: Yveltal, what is Scizor's item? I'm guessing a Lum Berry or an Expert Belt
    Last edited by poix_the_yak; 26th July 2013 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by poix_the_yak View Post
    Guys, I don't understand why Ferrothorn and Forretress aren't viable in the sun. Both of them are going to get 1HKO'd (not counting Forre's Sturdy) by fire moves anyway. Why does it make any difference in the sun? In pokemon there isn't any difference between 100% and 150%.
    The point being, that Ferrothorn and Forretress are better in the rain anyways. Donphan is just a much better choice for a sun team. Maybe even Hitmontop for sun.

Ask me stupid stuff

Oh, I see. So they aren't any worse in the sun than in no weather, but they are better in the rain.

What item does your Scizor have?

Quote Originally Posted by poix_the_yak View Post
    Oh, I see. So they aren't any worse in the sun than in no weather, but they are better in the rain.

What item does your Scizor have?
    Yep! You got it.

I am pretty sure my Scizor was holding Leftovers. I almost always run a bulky Scizor set.

Ask me stupid stuff

Forretress is still very viable in sun. Heck, the standard sun core in Ubers is Groudon/Ho-oh/Forretress lol. Sun also has problems against rain, and as you said, Forre does BETTER in rain, so that'll be a nice niche. It also doesnt take any residual damage from Sand, allowing it to survive longer in that weather as well.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

I never said he was a bad choice for sun, he is just much better in rain teams. On a sun team I would much rather use Donphan, because he doesn't get OHKO'd by fire and his water weakness gets lessened.

Also, Hitmontop comes with Foresight so he can Rapid Spin a Ghost
    Last edited by Yveltal96; 26th July 2013 at 2:07 AM.

Ask me stupid stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Yveltal96 View Post
    I never said he was a bad choice for sun, he is just much better in rain teams. On a sun team I would much rather use Donphan, because he doesn't get OHKO'd by fire and his water weakness gets lessened.

Also, Hitmontop comes with Foresight so he can Rapid Spin a Ghost
    Ya but I was referring to Snivys team when he had like 2 ice type weaknesses and 2 water weaknesses. Forretress doeesnt add to those weaknesses and provides hazards and spin support.

and heres a pretty good Ubers match i had

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oriserver-ubers-35046
    Last edited by justinjiaxinghu; 26th July 2013 at 5:30 AM.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Ferrothorn is viable in Sun because it provides good resistances and can beat Rain cores. Forretress is good in Sun because of Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock/Spikes/Toxic Spikes. Forretress would never live a Fire hit regardless (even in Rain) without Sturdy. So why would you keep it out against a Fire type?

And why would Scizor run Expert Belt? It's moves don't have complete perfect synergy, and don't hit most types for Super Effective damage. I ran Expert Belt on Starmie once, but I missed the power of Life Orb.

i only really run life orb on my big sweepers if i can get reliable hp recovery with something like soft boiled, roost, recover, or enough bulk to switch in after a wish

That would work. It also depends on their bulk.

Apparently Banded Darmanitan can 2HKO Tyranitar (any set) with Flare Blitz outside of Sun (but not in Rain). How badass is that.

Quote Originally Posted by justinjiaxinghu View Post
    Ya but I was referring to Snivys team when he had like 2 ice type weaknesses and 2 water weaknesses. Forretress doeesnt add to those weaknesses and provides hazards and spin support.

and heres a pretty good Ubers match i had

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oriserver-ubers-35046
    Stalls kill me sometimes.
    Uber stalls don't kill me, but they torture me.
    I would not have that kind of patience with Blissey or Ferrothorn in Uber Stall.

Speaking of Blissey, this is a good depiction on how we'll feel when we only have 6th gen Wi-fi and PS doesn't update quickly enough.
    Last edited by Blackjack the Titan; 26th July 2013 at 10:01 PM.
        Spoiler:- Just- lol:

Meh. You'd be surprised.

I don't know where to go from my Sun team. Probably sweepers now.

Because we all love Pikachu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeE4DobFFLE

Like my Competitive issue, I'll be restarting Skyrim fully (deleting all my character profiles). This includes my current Witchhunter, and my Redguard Paladin/Knight. I've not yet decided what race I'll pick- it's between Redguard and Breton (the 2 Races I've just done characters on). Nords are a bit meh to me and the Elves have strict playstyles. I'll probably go Redguard- I'll be picking a Redguard when I get ESO. This current character will be a Darker Templar build (Summoning/Necromancy, Destruction, etc).
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 26th July 2013 at 10:59 PM.

What's the deal with Hyper Offense? Any tips or necessities?

I think you need a fast Screens user, and then 5 major sweepers with really good synergy. I don't know. They used Deoxys- S as a Hyper Offense Pokémon, but then it got banned. Here:

http://www.pokeds.com/guides/53

In the event of a Rain, use Moltres.
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oumonotype-41316641
    Flying monotype was good, but I need to replace Moltres with someone.
    This time I was lucky, but next time I need some kind of supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by BAP Blackjack View Post
    Zapdos. Use it lol.

Expert Belt Keldeo makes good use of the item, but LO is arguably much better.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Quote Originally Posted by justinjiaxinghu View Post
    Zapdos. Use it lol.

Expert Belt Keldeo makes good use of the item, but LO is arguably much better.
    Zapdos. Okay, Yeah I only used Moltres for Ice coverage. Zapdos makes much more sense, maybe even Thundurus since it has GK.

Quote Originally Posted by BAP Blackjack View Post
    I agree with Justin, Zapdos is a great flying type.

One thing I noticed, though - You have both a Gyarados and a Salamence, but neither one of them has Moxie O.O I would highly recommend Moxie on at least one of them.

Page 671 of 854 FirstFirst ... 571621661667668669670671672673674675681721771 ... LastLast