View Poll Results: Are you Entering the NU Tourney

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I Am

6 60.00%
  • No I'm Not

4 40.00%
Page 673 of 858 FirstFirst ... 573623663669670671672673674675676677683723773 ... LastLast
Results 16,801 to 16,825 of 21440

Thread: The Hoenn Triangle

Which step-by-step processes do you guys take when making a team? Just wondering, since I haven't been battling competitively very long, and still make nooby mistakes...

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Funny how that's being asked a lot now... aw well. I'm not going with the NU team- I don't quite feel comfortable with it. I'll decide again later what I want to do.

Anyway, first off, I pick a playstyle. Heavy Offense, Bulky Offense, Hyper Offense, Stall, Semi Stall, Balanced, Weather Offense, Weather Stall are all viable options. Then you pick a Pokemon or a core of Pokemon which fit that style.

Quote Originally Posted by Roseheart95 View Post
    Which step-by-step processes do you guys take when making a team? Just wondering, since I haven't been battling competitively very long, and still make nooby mistakes...
    Well, first off you start with what you want to base your team around. It can be based around a concept (guard split, justified, etc), a pokemon, a weather, so on. Once you choose your concept, choose a sweeper or even two, a cleric, someone to set up entry hazards (not necessary but good), a spinner (again, not necessary, but always useful), I almost always use a trapper (arena trap, shadow tag) again, this isn't necessary, but it is useful for trapping someone that can threaten your team such as an opposing weather starter, a spinner, or even just a very powerful pokemon. I also almost always pack a ghost type, for one reason: to block rapid spin. Again, this isn't necessary, but helpful

Ask me stupid stuff
    Credit for the Banner goes to Sworn Metalhead

^^ Covered it. I however usually have at least one tank/wall, to take hits for my team and to wear stuff down.

I'll be going back to UU. Might have to re challenge Sir Galahad...
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 29th July 2013 at 6:22 PM.

So I am thinking about making a team around a whirlwind Skarmory. I had one on a previous team if mine and it worked out well.
    Latest Shiny!

Found: Route 12
    Method: Chain Fishing
    Date of Catch: 2/14/14
    Currently Hunting: Eevee, Ekans, Skourpi
    Total Shinies: 10

3DS FC: 5429-6844-5288
    Ice FS: Bergmite, Spheal and Lapras

Around Skarmory? Skarmory is a Pokemon which supports, but doesn't necessarily need supporting. But a Dragon type can take Electric and Fire attacks, and Skarmory can take Dagon moves aimed it them. Haxorus appreciates Spikes/Stealth Rock, and Whirlwind might give Skarmory an opportunity to bring in Haxorus to set up and sweep. Blissey is a great Special wall, and you also get SkarmBliss. Need I say more?

Anyway, I'm not too sure about UU, but I never made a team, so I'm good. I might return to RU, as I'd like to use a few Pokemon in the tier.

http://easydamus.com/lawfulneutral.html

The link was about alignments in Skyrim and RPGs in general. I got Lawful Neutral, which is the link. Me in a nutshell. Do the test, and see what you are.
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 29th July 2013 at 8:25 PM.

Ok thanks snivy that works well. I'm gonna go with gurdurr because I've used it before and I'm used to conkeldurr. Conkeldurr, braviary and zoroark make a great trio for double battle.

Hmmm probably regirock and Definately samurott. Mm I might use dive. I love that move so much. Even though you guys will probably hate me for it. Swords dance too. But I might leave out megahorn..... Thoughts?
    Articuno <3? Or maybe something more idk, offensive? I've never used execcutor, what's it like? I don't really like serperior, but I suppose I could use contrary, which I've always wanted to try because it seems fun. Even though from my serperior experience it only learns grass type moves, or very few of other types. I actually have no idea what I'm talking about, you can probably tell. Yerp. I can't remember much else. Oh yh skuntank. Never used one and know nothing about it. I know it's poison/dark, so yah. Tell me.
    I probably got this all wrong because I can't remember much but HALP. I can't build teams as you can see.

Yeah, I sometimes struggle to build good teams. Namely it's the fact that I can't stick to something for more than a few hours.

Skuntank- only one weakness= Ground. Dark STAB is highly useful in a tier of Ghost and Psychic types. Decent offenses (can go mixed). It's the best offensive Dark type in the tier (Liepard being a good defensive one thanks to Prankster Thunder Wave). Yeah.

Exeggutor- not too bad, but it has tons of weaknesses. Quite a feared Grass type, with Psychic typing (Specs Leaf Storm hurts as well though). Decent though.

Samurott- using Dive guarantees you lose your Samurott pretty much. IT DOESN'T WORK. 2 turns to use. your opponent switches into your Water counter free of charge, and then forces you out. They can then do whatever. Don't use Dive.

Articuno- never used it. Better than Delibird though.

So you'd have (if keeping Duosion): Duosion / Gurdurr / Skuntank / Samurott / Regirock / *filler*

I'd use either a spinner or a good specially bulky tank. Umm... yeah, Lickilicky is pretty good, as is Misdreavus. Misdreavus can run a mixed wall set and use Will 'O Wisp to cripple physical Pokemon. Lickilicky can be a cleric and a Wish passer. your choice.

Geek (Sceptile) @ Life Orb
    Overgrow
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power {Rock}
    - Substitute

I named my Sceptile in Emerald Geek because it's a Gecko and it sounded cool (at 3am anyway).
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 29th July 2013 at 8:44 PM.

Misdreavus. I actually really like it. And I like will o wisp too. So yeah. Ok thanks.
    Yh. Ok I really like dive though. It works on wifi. I love it. But I won't use it. I'll use megahorn instead. And then aqua jet and another water type move with power. But I'm not sure what I'll have a look.

I'm pretty much done. The only things I'm not so sure about are regirock skuntank and items. I deck so bad at items it hurts. In the end I get so frustrated I stick leftovers on everything XD

I'll run you some sets, and post them here. Don't worry.

Regirock and Skuntank are easily changable. I actually want to run through your typing synergy, because I think there are some issues.
    Team: Duosion, Gurdurr, Samurott, Misdreavus
    Dark x2- Gurdurr
    Ghost x2-
    Bug- Gurdurr, Misdreavus
    Flying-
    Psychic- Duosion,
    Electric-
    Grass-

So actually, this doesn't work that great. First off, for the time being, I'm ditching Misdreavus. It adds more weaknesses, and no resistances which aren't already covered. Samurott can stay for now. You need a Dark type to finish the core. There are actually some good Dark types out there. Hold on. I'm going to TEMPORARILY remove Samurott.

Team: Duosion / Gurdurr / Sneasel / Samurott / *filler* / *filler*
    Dark- Gurdurr
    Ghost- Sneasel
    Bug X2- Gurdurr
    Flying- *(Sneasel)
    Psychic- Duosion
    Electric-
    Grass- *(Sneasel)
    Fire- Samurott
    Fighting- Duosion
    Rock- Gurdurr
    Steel- Samurott

*Sneasel's Ice STAB handles Flying and Grass remarkably well.

Whatever I said about Skyrim, ignore it. Well, most of it. Race wise, i'll probably switch to Breton. A skilled Mercenary. Utterly ruthless. I actually wrote a 250 word short story on a character I named Ivan. An undead dread lord if you will. Will be making it into a fully fledged book in due time. But I'll be making my Skyrim character like this guy (sort of).

Onto my RU team. No idea what I'll call it.

Overgrow
    Timid Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power {Rock}
    - Substitute

I named my Sceptile in Emerald Geek because it's a Gecko and it sounded cool (at 3am anyway). I used Giga Drain over Leaf Storm for health recovery. It means Sceptile can stay in longer, at least for a short time. Focus Blast nails many Steel types very hard, and Hidden Power Rock beats fire types more reliably. Substitute helps Sceptile's longevity, with Giga Drain recovering any lost HP from Life Orb and Substitute.

SliceNDice (Kabutops) @ Lum Berry
    Weak Armor
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Rapid Spin
    - Aqua Jet
    - Stone Edge

Kabutops and Sceptile have good synergy- only Kabutops' Fighting weakness isn't beaten. Rapid Spin is dead useful, as Sceptile takes a good chunk of damage from Spikes, and Toxic Spikes ruin it. Swords Dance boosts Kabutops' already good Attack to dangerous levels, and Stone Edge and Aqua Jet are boosted by it. Aqua Jet is priority, and beats Entei. Stoen Edge nails pretty much everything else, bar Steel types. Sceptile and Kabutops can rip through teams, one for the physical side, and one for the special side.

Pheonix (Moltres) @ Life Orb
    Pressure
    Timid Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Hurricane
    - Substitute / Hidden Power {Grass}
    - Roost

Moltres certainly hits hard, and i now have a Fire / Water / Grass core. Fire Blast rips holes in the opponents team, and most of the tier are Grass types. Hurricane nails the majority Fighting types in RU as well as being secondary STAB. I went for Substitute in the third slot- Lanturn is handled rather well by Sceptile. However, HP Grass may be useful. Roost heals Moltres, as Life Orb and Substitute will take chunks of health from my pheonix.

Da Vinci (Smeargle) @ Focus Sash
    Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spore
    - Memento

Suicide lead! Smeargle looks alright, and my team appreciates hazards. Smeargle provides both Stealth Rock and Spikes. Both are self explanatory. Spore puts a Pokemon to sleep, and might mean more hazards. Memento is a way of bringing in one my my set up sweepers to beat up the opponent.
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 29th July 2013 at 10:02 PM.

How does gurdurr cover bug? And in the second one you didn't remove samurott. Electrics only weakness is ground but rock resists electric. Sneasel works well for me because I know how use it. But to be honest I don't mind if you remove samurott. So yeah. About fillers, I can't use wish in the slightest so please on lickilicky

Guys I'm so bad help: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/randombattle-41944210
    Last edited by Shade2000; 30th July 2013 at 8:13 AM.

Oh yeah... I did remove Samurott, and then added it, but didn't edit what I said about removing it. So yeah. Rock doesn't resist Electric by the way. Gurdurr resists Bug defensively, which is what I meant. I cover type weaknesses with Pokemon that actually support each other.

I'm just going to remove Samurott and Sneasel from the team for now. Just so I have my priorities straight. You have a Flying weakness. Psychic types ruin you, as Duosion can't do much to a Specs Gardevoir. I'd say Skuntank is your best Dark type option- quite bulky for the tier, doesn't have many weaknesses and Gardevoir and most Psychic types are ruined by it because Skuntank is neutral to Fighting (Psychic types usually have Focus Blast/HP Fighting/any Fighting move, for neutral coverage) and so isn't scared to death by a Focus Blast. If you went Skuntank, you have a Ground and a Flying weakness. Rotom- F resists Flying and is immune to Ground. It can beat Flying types with an Electric move and Ground types go down to Ice moves. It also appreciates Anti Lead Samurott, who can beat most common Stealth Rock users.

Ghost x2- Skuntank, Probopass
    Dark x2- Gurdurr, Skuntank, Probopass
    Bug- Gurdurr, Probopass, Misfreavus
    Psychic- Duosion, Skuntank, Probopass
    Flying- Rotom, Probopass
    Ground x2- Rotom, Misdreavus
    Fighting x2- Duosion, Misdreavus
    Rock- Gurdurr, Probopass
    Fire- Samurott
    Electric- Rotom
    Grass- Skuntank
    Water- Samurott

As you can see, all your weaknesses are covered. You have 2 spaces left. I'd use a mixed wall, and then maybe something which holds the team together. Misdreavus could be useful. She can act as your mixed tank, with Will 'O Wisp burning Physical threats and tanking special hits rather easily. This is a pretty offensive team, so you shouldn't need to much in the wall department. She also helps with Fighting types, who after Duosion is gone can rip your team to shreds. She adds a Dark and Ghost weakness, both are checked by Skuntank and Gurdurr. You have one spot left. I'd add entry hazards (a spinner would be good, but you have an anti lead Pokemon, so that's not really an issue. If it is, we can come back to change this). Most Spikes users are Poison types, which is slightly annoying. Checking Stealth Rock users now. Probopass is useful. It can shift your defenses, so Misdreavus is your Physical wall, and Probopass your special wall. It also has Volt Switch and Stealth Rock, for momentum. Thunder Wave could help Gurdurr and Duosion set up. Ground and Fighting are both checked by Misdreavus (Ground also by Rotom, and Fighting by Duosion). Water is resisted by Samurott.

Now all your weaknesses are covered!
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 30th July 2013 at 11:32 AM.

Guys I'm on a trip soo I may be somewhat inactive. Just a heads up.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

That's a shame. Have fun Justin! I'll be posting my RU team here. Shade, your team will also be here.

~ Quick note for Shade- Skuntank could be used as your anti lead, so I don't know what you want to do. These are guidelines to the team.You don't have to follow these.

Shade's NU team:

Duosion @ Eviolite
    Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Psychic / Psyshock
    - Signal Beam

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
    Guts
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch
    - Mach Punch
    - Ice Punch / Payback

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
    Aftermath
    EVs: 252 Atk / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Pursuit
    - Crunch / Poison Jab
    - Sucker Punch
    - Taunt

Samurott @ Life Orb
    Torrent
    Modest Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Hidden Power {Grass}
    - Megahorn / Taunt

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
    Levitate
    EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Will 'O Wisp
    - Shadow Ball
    - Pain Split
    - Heal Bell / Perish Song

Probopass @ Leftovers
    Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave
    - Volt Switch
    - Earth Power / Power Gem

I'll continue from where I left off with my RU team.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Overgrow
    Timid Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power {Rock}
    - Substitute

I named my Sceptile in Emerald Geek because it's a Gecko and it sounded cool (at 3am anyway). I used Giga Drain over Leaf Storm for health recovery. It means Sceptile can stay in longer, at least for a short time. Focus Blast nails many Steel types very hard, and Hidden Power Rock beats fire types more reliably. Substitute helps Sceptile's longevity, with Giga Drain recovering any lost HP from Life Orb and Substitute.

SliceNDice (Kabutops) @ Lum Berry
    Weak Armor
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Rapid Spin
    - Aqua Jet
    - Stone Edge

Kabutops and Sceptile have good synergy- only Kabutops' Fighting weakness isn't beaten. Rapid Spin is dead useful, as Sceptile takes a good chunk of damage from Spikes, and Toxic Spikes ruin it. Swords Dance boosts Kabutops' already good Attack to dangerous levels, and Stone Edge and Aqua Jet are boosted by it. Aqua Jet is priority, and beats Entei. Stoen Edge nails pretty much everything else, bar Steel types. Sceptile and Kabutops can rip through teams, one for the physical side, and one for the special side.

Pheonix (Moltres) @ Life Orb
    Pressure
    Timid Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Hurricane
    - Substitute / Hidden Power {Grass}
    - Roost

Moltres certainly hits hard, and i now have a Fire / Water / Grass core. Fire Blast rips holes in the opponents team, and most of the tier are Grass types. Hurricane nails the majority Fighting types in RU as well as being secondary STAB. I went for Substitute in the third slot- Lanturn is handled rather well by Sceptile. However, HP Grass may be useful. Roost heals Moltres, as Life Orb and Substitute will take chunks of health from my pheonix.

Da Vinci (Smeargle) @ Focus Sash
    Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spore
    - Memento

Suicide lead! Smeargle looks alright, and my team appreciates hazards. Smeargle provides Spikes and Stealth Rock, which are self explanatory. Spore puts a Pokemon to sleep, and might mean more hazards. Memento is a way of bringing in one my my set up sweepers to beat up the opponent. I never actually realised how much Smeargle can outspeed. It's a good chunk of the tier though.

Golurk @ Choice Band
    Iron Fist
    EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Shadow Punch
    - Fire Punch
    - Drain Punch

Golurk acts as my spinblocker, and is also a powerful physical attacker. Earthquake is STAB, and deals tons of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Shadow Punch is also STAB, and is further boosted by Iron Fist. Fire punch nails Grass types, and like Shadow Punch is boosted by Iron Fist. Drain punch is in the same boat as Shadow Punch and Fire Punch, but also recovers lost health.

Galvantula @ Expert Belt
    Compoundeyes
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Thunder
    - Bug Buzz
    - Hidden Power {Ground}
    - Giga Drain / Volt Switch

Galvantula becomes my 6th member of my RU team! Thunder is an extremely powerful STAB move, and nails most Water types in the tier. Bug buzz hits grass types like Tangrowth for Super Effective damage. Hidden Power Ground adds to the coverage, and hits Electric types extremely hard. I couldn't decide on the last move- Giga Drain provides health recovery, but Volt Switch can let Galvantula switch to an appropriate check.

Fire x2- Kabutops, Moltres
    Bug- Kabutops, Moltres, Golurk, Galvantula
    Flying- Kabutops
    Poison- Kabutops, Golurk
    Ice x2- Kabutops
    Grass x2- Sceptile, Moltres, Galvantula
    Fighting x2- Moltres, Golurk, Galvantula
    Ground- Sceptile, Moltres
    Electric x2- Sceptile, Golurk, Galvantula
    Rock x2- Kabutops, Golurk
    Water x2- Sceptile, Kabutops
    Ghost- Smeargle

EDIT: I'll change Golurk's set to the bulky attacker with Stealth Rock, and Smeargle with have Whirlwind instead of Stealth Rock. Too many pokemon are setting up on Smeargle!
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 30th July 2013 at 1:06 PM.

Yep cool I'm pretty sure that would work! I (still) havent finished though. I'm not sure about skuntank's moves and one of samurott. Lets start with samurott because its less of a problem. I can't decide between megahorn/taunt so I used dive instead of either of them because I can't think of a use for either of them. I have no idea about taunt. I understand taunt on skuntank, but not samurott. I'm leaning towards megahorn but I'm still not sure. I actually don't know.
    Next is skuntank. I'm not sure about crunch, pursuit and poison jab. I am the worst predicter. And I cannot use pursuit. So I want to use both crunch and poison jab instead. And I was just wondering if it is a good idea. Because yeah. Thanks for doing this for again.

I didn't get half of what you said until I read the full sets of stuff and them i got it. Yh. I'm sticking almost exactly to it. I think exactly but I'm not sure.

Yh thanks. I'm gonna go test it now.

Phft. I have no clue. I'd go Megahorn over Taunt on Samurott then, as Megahorn 0HKOes Jynx 100% of the time. Which is good. Skuntank, fair enough, use all 3 moves. I'd probably go for the mixed set I think. Sucker Punch, Crunch, Sludge Bomb and HP Ground/Fire Blast. Life Orb, Lonely nature, 252 Atk / 220 SpA / 36 Spe.

My RU team is on a roll!

Quote Originally Posted by snivy trainer View Post
    Phft. I have no clue. I'd go Megahorn over Taunt on Samurott then, as Megahorn 0HKOes Jynx 100% of the time. Which is good. Skuntank, fair enough, use all 3 moves. I'd probably go for the mixed set I think. Sucker Punch, Crunch, Sludge Bomb and HP Ground/Fire Blast. Life Orb, Lonely nature, 252 Atk / 220 SpA / 36 Spe.

My RU team is on a roll!
    Hey maybe for Shade's Gurdurr give it Iton Fist instead of Guts, because it has all punching moves.
    Latest Shiny!

Found: Route 12
    Method: Chain Fishing
    Date of Catch: 2/14/14
    Currently Hunting: Eevee, Ekans, Skourpi
    Total Shinies: 10

3DS FC: 5429-6844-5288
    Ice FS: Bergmite, Spheal and Lapras

That could work.

I suffered my first loss with my RU team just now. Was quite close, but it was Smeargle that technically beat me. Not bad though.

I think I am going to build an RU team today, but I haven't decided quite what to base it around. Any ideas?

Ask me stupid stuff

Cool. The team is good. I used megahorn and it has come in useful. The team is great, there is only one thing wrong, me. I'm not very good at battling, but I guess that it comes with practice, so I'll just have to keep on trying and I'm sure I'll get better. Anyway. Yeah. I don't know what to do for the rest of the afternoon. I can't wait until x and y it's actually painful.

And yvetal, rhyperior. That is just such a tank. Unless it meets spA water or something. It's good though.

@ Yveltal - Hmm... as you like Stall quite a bit... how about a Regenerator core? I failed at it, probably because I'm not that great at Stall and my team didn't use hazards much. You could use Slowking + Tangrowth, with Audino or something helping out. Alomomola + Tangrowth maybe. Amoonguss, Slowking, Tangrowth, Audino and Alomomola are all Regenerator users. Amoognuss + Amomomola could be good, with maybe Audino as your cleric? Then run Spikes/Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes, and whatever else, and that could work.

@ Shade - Yeah, these things come with practice. When I started in the clan, I was awful at competitive. now look, I'm making people's teams! It's dedication.

When I've done sufficiently in RU, I'm going to go to UU, and try a Regenerator core offensively. VoltTurn Regenerator.

What can I name my RU team?
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 30th July 2013 at 3:59 PM.

That is actually a really good idea snivy, and since alomomola has a very high HP stat, running wish on it would be a fantastic idea.

Ask me stupid stuff

Yep! That's a good idea. Amoonguss + Alomomola + Audino would be cool. i think they cover each other well enough. You'd also have Wish (Alomomola), a cleric (Audino) and a status user (Amoognuss)- which wrecks set up sweepers.

My RU team is really good. It has a way of failing early on, due to me overpredicting, but then coming back to win later on.
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 30th July 2013 at 4:08 PM.

Haha, so far this is what my Amoonguss has

Amoonguss
    Regenerator @ Black Sludge
    -Clear Smog
    -Giga Drain
    -Spore
    -Hidden Power Fire
    Trait: Calm
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 52 SpA / 116 SpD

Making the team right now

Ask me stupid stuff

Looks good.

I lost again, but it was close. Guy was quite nice about it. Used a Fling + Flame Orb Typhlosion. He also had Eviolite Baton Pass + Nasty Plot Togetic which he used as well. A few more battles for me on this RU team, see how it is, and then might go to UU.

Page 673 of 858 FirstFirst ... 573623663669670671672673674675676677683723773 ... LastLast