Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #46

I don't think it has an inferiority to Scizor since the way they are played is different. Its sort of a dragonite/salamence relationship, one's faster, one's bulkier, etc, and they have overlap on many sets, but they never quite play the same way.

I did forget to mention that He does extremely well on rain teams as you mentioned.

“What if she's all I give you in this life of ours, my love?" she asked quietly.
    "Then I'll shout at the goddess in fury," he said fiercely. "I'll beg to know why I've been given so much when other men have so little.”

“And through all the misery, she said that some of us in this lifetime experience a moment of beauty beyond reckoning. I asked her what that was, and she said, "If you're one of the lucky ones, you'll know it when you see it. You'll understand why the gods have made you suffer. Because that moment's reward will make your knees weak and everything you've suffered in life will pale in comparison.”

I guess you have a point about that, Crusina. It even says on Smogon: "Escavalier's main goal is to punch massive holes into your opponent's front line rather than sweep or scout."

Here's a gimmicky set that can work with proper support:

Trick Room Endure Set?
    Escavalier@Lum Berry
    Ability: Overcoat/Swarm
    EVs: 252HP/252atk/4sdef
    Moveset:
    -Endure
    -Reversal
    -Megahorn/X-Scissor
    -Swords Dance/Iron Head

Get him in Trick Room, get to 1Hp, sweep with Reversal.(remove priority first for clean sweep until TR runs out) Megahorn is perfered for power over X-Scissor, and Swords Dance or Iron Head for what seems best for you. Gimmicky set most of the time.:/

Credit to FrostStorm for the banner; YOU ARE MAJESTIC FROSTSTORM

3DS FC: 4940 6396 1803

"Because I am the man... who made a typo in his own name while registering..."

Escavalier. Pretty good looking Pokčmon, awesome typing (only x4 Fire weakness, which can be lowered in Rain), has gargantuan Attack and quite good Defenses. Its Speed is horrible, but we don't care about that. The real problem is in its movepool: has Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Megahorn, Iron Head, Slash, Reversal, Pursuit and Poison Jab. That's all for its valuable moves. You can run a SD set, with dual STAB moves and both Pursuit or Poison Jab for coverage, or a Choice Band set.

Back in the Serebii.net Forums!

From crappy bug to awesome bug. Escavelier has a lot of things in its favor: Type, STAB Megahorn, and stats. Abilities? Swarm works with Megahorn's kickass power. Movepool? That is a major problem. Outside of Megahorn, Escavalier's movepool is junk.

The one thing Escavelier is going to do:
    EVs: 252 Attack, the rest go anywhere but speed and special attack really.
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Swarm
    @: Choice Band|Life Orb

Megahorn
    Pursuit
    Iron Head
    Aerial Ace|Swords Dance

This is the Escavelier standard. If not, you waste this guy's awesome stats.

Other Options: Not much, but let's look anyway

Screech works great with Pursuit
    An Endure-Reversal set is usable, but remember there are priority moves and Escavalier is very slow.
    Counter can catch some enemies by surprise.

That is the Cavalry insect for you. One effective method. The strongest Megahorn, and a great type and stats.
    I claim Buizel.

Yay Escavalier! Honestly the most awesome bug I've seen, and with enough power to lol at walls, and that awesome design, it's gotta be good, right?

Yehno. Despite all that, lol 2 reasons, it's got a suckish movepool - Competitively consisting of Iron Head, Pursuit, Megahorn, Swords Dance, Return Knock Off and freaking Rock Smash. Seriously, smogon lists Rock Smash. It's also got a beef with Scizor, what with them being generally the same, only this guy doesn't get anywhere as much...

But yeah. Two sets. That's all.

Choice Knight (CB)
    Ability: Shell Armor
    Item: Choice Band
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SDef
    -Megahorn
    -Iron Head
    -Pursuit/Rock Smash/Return
    -Pursuit/Rock Smash/Return

This is his entire competitive Movepool when not using SD and Knock Off. Oh gosh. I think it explains itself, but obvious or not: Megahorn is his general STAB, coming off at STAB'd 180 BP. Iron Head hits Ice and Rock-types a bit harder than Megahorn, and it's also STAB'd. Then there's Pursuit, which hurts stuff well enough when they switch out, Rock Smash for that covering of Steels(Seriously, this is his best Steel-Hitting Option), and finaly Return for good Neutral Coverage.

Iron Clad Dancing Bug
    Ability: Shell Armor
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SDef
    -Swords Dance
    -Iron Head
    -Megahorn
    -Rock Smash/Pursuit/Knock Off

This is the general set to be used, and works a hefty well amount. First off, he has great bulk: Leftovers is a great item for longevity, but Life Orb helps net some KOs... IIRC, at least. SD, Iron Head and Megahorns are already explained, and after an SD that's easy to get up, Rock Smash hurts steels well enough. Pursuit is a bit more useful on this set than last, because some people don't like geting hit by a bug in shining armor that just swung it's Sword-arm-things around. Lol. Knock Off is really for the lulz, but you have really nothing better to run. Lol.

And before I go: Lol you guys, never run Aerial Ace or Slash. The moves I listed are his only good options. lok @ smogon n00bz1!1

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Not really much to go on. people are gonna put up movesets involving it being Adamant or Brave either knowing Sword Dance or holding a choice band. 2 moves it will most likely know are Iron Head and either X-Scissor or Megahorn. Its movepool itself is small meaning other moves to add are either pusuit for switchers(duh!), Faint Attack a more reliable Dark move either way they both dont cover much(just ghost as X-Scissor/Megahorn cover Psychics). Reversal is good as it covers Steels and with its low speed most likely lose some HP before use. Return or Slash to increase coverage. Anyway thats all i can think for it right now.

Good Partners will be those who can use Trick Room. To a lesser extent those who can hit the types that resist his moves
    Last edited by dragon zero; 13th November 2011 at 8:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ilucado View Post

Counters:

Heatran can wall and kill Escavalier any time of the day or night so watch out for him and make sure that you have a Heatran counter.
    Not just Heatran, but basically any Fire-type. Chandelure works great, because it's fast enough (as if it needs to be any faster) and strong enough to destroy it in one blow.
    Grumpig is mine.
    Planned Ruby/Sapphire Remake Team:
    Current Sapphire Team

I do GTS Negotiations. I really like trading Eggs for Eggs. So, if you see a Trainer Card with "BIDOOF is the reason for HATE.", that is me.

Iron Maiden @Leftovers [Shell Armour]
    (Sassy)
    252 HP/252 Def/6 Sp. Def
    Iron Defense
    Toxic
    Rest
    Struggle Bug/Megahorn/Reversal/X-Scissor

Knight in Shining Armour @Leftovers [Swarm]
    (Adamant)
    252 Att/252 HP/6 Def
    Swords Dance
    Reversal
    Megahorn/X-Scissor
    Rest/Iron Head/Toxic
    !

This is silly, but all the obvious offensive sets have been taken.

Toxic Staller
    With his resistances and defensive stats, Escavalier could make an unlikely...toxic staller. I already said that.
    Wacka Stix @ Leftovers
    Impish or Relaxed
    252 HP 252 Def 4 Atk/SpDef
    Toxic
    X-Scissor
    Substitute / Protect / Iron Defense
    Protect / Iron Defense / Substitute

If you're actually going to use this set, and use Iron Defense, you could pour some EV's into Special Defense.
    Last edited by SwordsDanceStruggle; 13th November 2011 at 9:00 PM. Reason: Spelling errors.

Why would you have a defensive nature then stick on Iron Defense, if you're playing defensively, you should always use a spdf nature like Careful, unless you specifically need him for a physical wall.

Regardless, if you are rasing your defense by two stages, don't use a defensive nature like imprish. It's the same reason Curse sets never run max attack or defense and instead focus on spdf, because you're boosting those stats anyways.

“What if she's all I give you in this life of ours, my love?" she asked quietly.
    "Then I'll shout at the goddess in fury," he said fiercely. "I'll beg to know why I've been given so much when other men have so little.”

“And through all the misery, she said that some of us in this lifetime experience a moment of beauty beyond reckoning. I asked her what that was, and she said, "If you're one of the lucky ones, you'll know it when you see it. You'll understand why the gods have made you suffer. Because that moment's reward will make your knees weak and everything you've suffered in life will pale in comparison.”

pokedex:can fly on high speeds huh? high speed= 20 base speed? regional proffessors should stop giving 10 years old children the job of writing pokedex entries!

Lives in Scizors shadow never use it in OU you have scizor MUCH better choice.

Well abilities: swarm,shell armor,DW over coat
    overcoat- useless good only on pokemons who don't resist sand storm or hail and don't have any other ability.

shell armor: MEH crits are absol's doing absol can't hurt you that much so better pass on this one, (or if you hate hax then go for it).

Swarm- the better ability as you are bulky you can life a none effective hit on 25% but MEH there is not leechi berry yet...

Your worst enemy is burn you are really slow so everything with will o wisp just cripple you, his stats are really good except crappy speed and it get a defensive typing (in rain work the best but he is UU), 135 attack means that when you hit you hit hard.
    If it had a recovery move then it would be awesome.

his move pool is very limited it have access to mega horn,sword dance,iron head,iron defence,X-Scissors,reversal,counter,toxic

here is a set I came up with works better on trick room kind of gimmick

Hit me with fire (gimmick trick room set)
    @Focus sash
    ability: swarm
    nature: brave/Naugty
    EV: 252 attack (no need for something else as you want to take a fatal hit)
    Reversal
    megahorn
    pursuit
    swords dance

A gimmick set revenge killer of trick room switch on something that use fire attacks get a swords dance

and use your moves for sweeping priority kills you,end of trick room kills you but you can be fine your main purpuse is to get to a low level of HP preferely 1HP and then attemp to sweep

the only rason I mention this set is because of reversal and swarm you can use a more standard set too:

@life orb
    nature: adamant
    ability: swarm
    EV 252 HP, 252 attack. 4 defense
    Megahorn
    Iron head/counter
    Pursuit
    Swords dance

Megahorn for STAB bug type stronger than X-Scissors and have acceptable accuracy, Iron head for secundary STAB.
    counter to hit steel types (all steel types are physical except heatran and most lucarios both are OU so you won't see them and heatran just kills you anyway). pursuit is for ghosts that otherwise you can't hit, swords dance is your boosting move.

Physical Wall
    @Leftovers
    nature: Careful/impish
    Abillity: Shell Armor (personally I hate hax)/swarm
    EV: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Special Defense
    Subtitute/Protect/Iron defense
    Toxic
    Counter
    Megahorn

he is meant to switch of physical attackers and toxic stall them/counter them , megahorn is there so taunt won't ruin you.
    Subtitute is for predicrion and also can be used with swarm and megahorn for a good attack from this wall... Protect stalls toxic and leftovers, Iron defense to raise your defence to annoying levels..

he partners well with snorlax cause each cover others weaknesses snorlax is a good special sponge and with thick fat it can resist fire attacks aimed at excavalier, miltank have the same qualities.
    Last edited by Ilan; 13th November 2011 at 11:02 PM.

Escavalier has such a horrible speed that even with a Speed IV of 31 and 252 EVs it's not even worth it since pretty mcuh everything can out run it. It should be used on a Trick Room team. More than likely there should be a Pokemon that can help with Fire types since it has a x4 weakness.

Escavalier's nature should be one that increases whatever's needed and decrease either Speed or Sp Atk.

It's a mega powerhouse with a great Attack stat and great defenses with OK HP. Not only does it has great stats, it has only one weakness.

bh it's POTW

give up on it xDDDD

^ what EE said

also, toxic stall and reversal sets suck, why are we posting them?

I chase the dream, not the competition.

Escavalier plays the role of a knight perfectly: standing firm against the onslaught of its' opponents with the defensive power it wields, and returning fire with that massive 135 Base Attack stat. But a knight is nothing without a pawn to prepare the battlefield for it. It needs Trick Room to really give the enemy what for. Obviously, if the cavalier is in a TR situation, go with Iron Head for some flinch hax and Toxic for added annoyance.

Typing match up-wise, it has only one glaring chink in its' armour: good old Fire-types. The UU furnace is burning with the likes of Chandelure with that huge Sp. Atk stat and the Intimidating Arcanine to watch out for. After an Intimidate and Will-o-Wisp, you can kiss that sweet Attack prowess goodbye.

A [very] gimmicky set for the jousting jitterbug would be running Toxic, Swagger, Iron Defense (offsetting Swagger's Attack boost), Knock Off. But that's only an option if you are insane. Like me
    Wonder Breeding Garden form Vivillon

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Escavalier has such a horrible speed that even with a Speed IV of 31 and 252 EVs it's not even worth it since pretty mcuh everything can out run it. It should be used on a Trick Room team. More than likely there should be a Pokemon that can help with Fire types since it has a x4 weakness.

Escavalier's nature should be one that increases whatever's needed and decrease either Speed or Sp Atk.

It's a mega powerhouse with a great Attack stat and great defenses with OK HP. Not only does it has great stats, it has only one weakness.
    It should be noted that Base 80 or less HP (Base 80 is "average HP" by my definition) is a common trait of Bug Types. Bug Types that actually have a higher-than-80 Base HP are:
    -Arceus (120)
    -Yanmega (86)
    -Heracross (85)
    -Volcarona (85)

Only 70 Pokemon have higher Defense and 58 have higher Sp.Def (considering all Rotom and Deoxys forms, but not Arceus Types, as being different Pokemon). However, as a dual-defender, only 25 Pokemon have both defenses higher (same caveat as before, plus Cofagrigus has higher Defense with a Sp.Def tie, and vice versa for Claydol).

With HP considered among those 27 (the 25 with higher plus Clay' and Cof'), only 12 have superior durability. Of those 12, only Umbreon and Ferrothorn are non-legendary Pokemon.

Now, considering offense compared to Umbreon and Ferrothorn:
    -Neither has better Attack than Escav'
    -Umbreon has better Speed and Ferro' ties Escav'
    -Umbreon ties Esca' in Sp.Atk, but it's a useless stat for Escav', Ferro', and Physical Umbreon sets.

Escav's Attack Stat is tied for 7th place with Salamence, Metagross, Gigalith, and Excadrill. Only 13 Pokemon have better Attack...without Archeops and Regigigas's Abilities being active at the time...

Overall, Escav' is a true force to be reckoned with. Short of an incredibly strong Fire-Type Move (or two), you'll be taking a lot of hits and dishing out a load of pain.

Trick Room cranks your threat rating up to 11 as the only final-stage Pokemon with lower Speed is Shuckle. You tie Ferrothorn, making it friend and foe alike in Trick Room situations.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster123 View Post
    ^ what EE said

also, toxic stall and reversal sets suck, why are we posting them?
    IDK wanted to post some gimmick sets :/ if it had a better movepool I would post other sets but he doesn't get sacred sword (he have a sword doesn't he?) or something or close combat IDK wait till "grey" he should get more moves to work with.

think that POTW with pokemons that have lacking move pool (like the starters) is a bad idea better put some pokemons who have good move pools and then when the move tutors come make POTW on them.
    Last edited by Ilan; 14th November 2011 at 1:07 AM.

Ability:Shell armor
    Nature:Adamant
    EVs: 252 attack, 252 speed, 4 HP
    Moves:Swords Dance
    X-scissor/MegaHorn
    Iron Head
    Aerial Ace/Poison Jab
    Item:Life Orb/Expert Belt

Escavalier is quite possibly my favorite Pokemon from Gen 5. I use him all the time. Sure, he's slow, but he's bulky enough to take hits first. His low Speed makes him almost built for Trick Room, where he truly shines. Mostly due to his 135 Attack. After a single Swords Dance, Escavalier can really dent or even OHKO just about anything, even neutrally. With only one (albeit quadruple) weakness to Fire, resistance to Spikes and immunity to Toxic Spikes, Escavalier has no trouble entering battles.

However, Escavalier does have his flaws. The biggest being his rather shallow movepool. You don't have too many options when running Escavalier. The other prominent flaw he has is the existence a certain upper-tier Bug/Steel: Scizor. They both attack physically, but do so in entirely different ways. Scizor rushes in and punches you to death. Escavalier charges and then sweeps. While some may consider Scizor's Speed (and priority) is what makes him better, Escavalier can definitely work as an amazing Bug/Steel.

Swarm: While Scizor has his overpowered priority Steel STAB to abuse, Escavalier has his Megahorn. Swarm boosts it even more when he's getting weak. Use Swarm.
    Shell Armor: Prevents critical hits. Not as useful as Swarm.
    Overcoat: Prevents damage from Hail...oh wait, just Hail. Not very useful.

SubSD
    @Leftovers
    Swarm, Timid/Modest, 252 Atk/252 HP/4 SDef
    ~Swords Dance
    ~Megahorn
    ~Iron Head
    ~Pursuit/Substitute

This is probably the most common set you will find. Use Swords Dance, sweep with Megahorn. Iron Head is there for STAB and in case something resists Megahorn. I personally run Substitute, but Pursuit is popular for priority and catching Pokemon on the switch. Substitute is there for stall, as well as getting your HP low safely for Swarm.

Other Options: You could run a CB set, but Escavalier doesn't really have much to use on it outside of the above and Double Edge. But it's there.

Partners: Any Trick Room user is suggested. In upper tiers, I've found Reuniclus to be a great partner.

Counters: Heatran resists everything Escavalier has and can counter with Fire attacks. Skarmory is another choice to wall him to death, then proceed to set up and Brave Bird him. Cobalion is also pretty effective, being resistant to both of Escavalier's STABs and Stealth Rock.

Escavalier, a great example of a mon that can overcome its move pool with brute force.
    Choice Band Bug
    Adamant nature, 252 attack, 248 HP, 8 speed
    Choice band
    -Megahorn
    -pursuit
    -iron head
    -return/reversal
    Description later (never)

Quote Originally Posted by sticktendo View Post
    Escavalier is quite possibly my favorite Pokemon from Gen 5. I use him all the time. Sure, he's slow, but he's bulky enough to take hits first. His low Speed makes him almost built for Trick Room, where he truly shines. Mostly due to his 135 Attack. After a single Swords Dance, Escavalier can really dent or even OHKO just about anything, even neutrally. With only one (albeit quadruple) weakness to Fire, resistance to Spikes and immunity to Toxic Spikes, Escavalier has no trouble entering battles.

However, Escavalier does have his flaws. The biggest being his rather shallow movepool. You don't have too many options when running Escavalier. The other prominent flaw he has is the existence a certain upper-tier Bug/Steel: Scizor. They both attack physically, but do so in entirely different ways. Scizor rushes in and punches you to death. Escavalier charges and then sweeps. While some may consider Scizor's Speed (and priority) is what makes him better, Escavalier can definitely work as an amazing Bug/Steel

Swarm: While Scizor has his overpowered priority Steel STAB to abuse, Escavalier has his Megahorn. Swarm boosts it even more when he's getting weak. Use Swarm.
    Shell Armor: Prevents critical hits. Not as useful as Swarm.
    Overcoat: Prevents damage from Hail...oh wait, just Hail. Not very useful.

SubSD
    @Leftovers
    Swarm, Timid/Modest, 252 Atk/252 HP/4 SDef
    ~Swords Dance
    ~Megahorn
    ~Iron Head
    ~Pursuit/Substitute

This is probably the most common set you will find. Use Swords Dance, sweep with Megahorn. Iron Head is there for STAB and in case something resists Megahorn. I personally run Substitute, but Pursuit is popular for priority and
    catching Pokemon on the switch. Substitute is there for stall, as well as getting your HP low safely for Swarm.

Other Options: You could run a CB set, but Escavalier doesn't really have much to use on it outside of the above and Double Edge. But it's there.

Partners: Any Trick Room user is suggested. In upper tiers, I've found Reuniclus to be a great partner.

Counters: Heatran resists everything Escavalier has and can counter
    with Fire attacks. Skarmory is another choice to wall him to death, then proceed to set up and Brave Bird him. Cobalion is also pretty effective, being resistant to both of Escavalier's STABs and Stealth Rock.
    Choice band is standard. Although he could SD, the opponent can use that turn to switch into something like victini and force you out every single time. He does best just hitting hard immediately. Substitute? No. What do you do to something like registeel? Nothing. He lacks the coverage and speed to sweep so it best to kill what you can quickly and efficiently. With a ****ton of power

Haha, Shedinja POTW is funny. XP

When it comes to Escavalier, it's pretty much Choice Band or bust for me. Seriously, CB + Swarm Megahorn kills EVERYTHING. That thing even has a chance to 3HKO 252/252 Relaxed Steelix. Not that Steelix is the most common thing in UU, but still. That's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Haha, Shedinja POTW is funny. XP

When it comes to Escavalier, it's pretty much Choice Band or bust for me. Seriously, CB + Swarm Megahorn kills EVERYTHING. That thing even has a chance to 3HKO 252/252 Relaxed Steelix. Not that Steelix is the most common thing in UU, but still. That's pretty good.
    Thank you someone isn't dumb

I've loved using Escaliver in my VGC Trick Room teams! Never lets me down unless the opponent is a Chandelure!

Born For Trick Room
    @Leftovers/Occa Berry
    Swarm/Shell Armour, Brave, 252 Atk/252 HP/4 SDef
    ~Protect/Swords Dance
    ~Megahorn/X-Scissor
    ~Iron Head
    ~Faint Attack

Protect is a must on all non-bulky Pokemon in VGC. You can opt for Swords Dance in single battles too, where Escaliver will work better. The choice of Megahorn vs. X-Scissor is power vs. accuracy. Iron Head is a reliable STAB move, which can get some useful flinches under Trick Room. Faint Attack deals with the horribly annoying Chandelure, among other Ghosts.
    I love my cute little Machop!

Come on, you know Machop is cute! I mean, who couldn't love those endearing eyes? That adorable face? That loving embrace?

Just don't call it cuddly or else it will hurt you.

Credit to pokefan#493 for the userbar and Northern Lights for the badge

Click the banner to go to this forum's branch of the Bring Back Bionicle Club.

I am now the rightful claimer of Machop in the Official Claim A Pokemon Thread v5! [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/2z57udz.jpg[/IMG]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast