Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy Discussion

Default Final Fantasy Discussion

Being one of the greatest RPGs of all time, Final Fantasy has given us countless hours of fun! The series began in 1987 and is currently still going on. There's a lot to discuss on this franchise, so use this thread to discuss anything related to Final Fantasy. Here are a few ideas for topics:

• Favourite Final Fantasy and why?
    • Favourite characters and why?
    • General questions on story-lines.
    • Interpretations of story-lines.
    • Upcoming releases.
    • General opinions on the different games.

Please stick to all of the forum rules when posting.

~Kupo

FFIII is possibly one of the besy jrpg's i've ever played.

FF13 was utter thrash though.

FF4 was my favourite.

Waiting for Versus XIII to come out is agonizing... ;-;

I think my favourite FF game would be FFX. I just felt like you could connect more with the characters. And the side quests in the game were good.

As for FFXIII or any FF after X, I think they're still good as games, but it's a bit disgraceful to call them Final Fantasies.

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by jb08045 View Post
    FFIII is possibly one of the besy jrpg's i've ever played.

FF13 was utter thrash though.
    Aw, I really want to try that one when I ever get a PS3.

Well, I have not played many FF games (only I II on the GBA, crystal chronicles on GC, FFTA2, and FF IX) so my favorite among those would have to be IX. I broke my PS1, so I might never be able to try to get Excalibur 2 or whatever it is you get.

My favorite is FFVI. Kefka for the win. Kefka's my favorite character by far, due to how insane he is.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

I've tried several times to get into this series and just can't seem to do it. I've pretty much concluded now that it's not for me.
    I generally don't mind JRPG's either, but there's something about Final Fantasy that just doesn't gel with my tastes. I guess with the amount of games I still need to play, it might be fortunate that I don't feel inclined to play through the majority of a massive series.

Having said all this, for some strange reason which is beyond me, I really enjoyed the FF Tactics game on Gameboy Advance. I'm not usually a strategy fan, be it real-time or turn-based. Hell, I only really like Pokemon because it's quite easy, still enjoyable and nostalgic to some degree.

Why do I feel like this thread will become nothing more than a place to trash XIII?

It's amazing how pissy some people still are after all this time. You don't like XIII, we get it. Just shut up and get over and go back to playing the old ones.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

Quote Originally Posted by deathseer View Post
    Why do I feel like this thread will become nothing more than a place to trash XIII?

It's amazing how pissy some people still are after all this time. You don't like XIII, we get it. Just shut up and get over and go back to playing the old ones.
    People have a right to complain if a game doesn't reach to their level of standard . You however have the right to just ignore it or defence the game.

I never really got into the Final Fantasy series however I did try VIII and III and I didn't like them.

So I went and brought Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection and I still yet to try it since I have far to back log of other game to to get through.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

I understand that people have a right to not like games, people just have different tastes. There are certain games that I don't like that other people do.

What I don't understand is why people are so still so pissy and whiny this long after the game has already been out. I understand not liking the game at per-release or for maybe a few weeks after it comes out, but it's been well over a year and people still complain about how the game is trash and how much they don't like it. I just wish people would get over themselves and go play something else instead of continually bashing a game that in reality they didn't have to play in the first place.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

I always feel bad for not liking FF4; a lot of people talk about how great and influential it was. I think 9 is my favorite overall. It just always seemed the most fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I've tried several times to get into this series and just can't seem to do it. I've pretty much concluded now that it's not for me.
    I generally don't mind JRPG's either, but there's something about Final Fantasy that just doesn't gel with my tastes. I guess with the amount of games I still need to play, it might be fortunate that I don't feel inclined to play through the majority of a massive series.

Having said all this, for some strange reason which is beyond me, I really enjoyed the FF Tactics game on Gameboy Advance. I'm not usually a strategy fan, be it real-time or turn-based. Hell, I only really like Pokemon because it's quite easy, still enjoyable and nostalgic to some degree.
    Well, what do you like about other JRPGs?

I think the question posed in your title is exceedingly appropriate. What I'm getting from your post is "it's not cool to ***** about things that are relatively old." Well, I can understand if you like it, but who are you to say what opinions people can't have?

To this day, the only FFs I've finished in their entirety are VI and XIII. I've been planning on getting around to playing some of the other titles eventually, though.

I personally enjoyed XIII, and I can't wait for XIII-2 to come out. The whole monster taming mechanic sounds fun, and the ability to accessorize said monsters with things like sunglasses moreso (I pray that armodons and behemoths will be capable of wearing shades).

Before I say anything else, I have to say:
    Final Fantasy is possibly the most overblown video game series ever. Most of the fans of the series hate half the games in the series and a good amount have little to no experience with other JRPG's. Yet they still manage to make a ridiculously big deal out of the franchise anyway.

Anyway Final Fantasy 9 is my favorite. I like the SNES installments of the franchise quite a bit and Final Fantasy 9 is like a more refined version of those games. I am also a big fan of the Tactics Advance games and would like to try 10, 10-2 and 13 since they look like they could be fun. (of course I can't get 13 since I don't have a PS3 or 360)

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

I don't like FF. JRPG's needs strategy, and I wasn't able to beat 2 or 3.
    "Because if you didn't believe in evolution, you were a shitty pokemon trainer!"
    Rollie Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    Before I say anything else, I have to say:
    Final Fantasy is possibly the most overblown video game series ever. Most of the fans of the series hate half the games in the series and a good amount have little to no experience with other JRPG's. Yet they still manage to make a ridiculously big deal out of the franchise anyway.

Anyway Final Fantasy 9 is my favorite. I like the SNES installments of the franchise quite a bit and Final Fantasy 9 is like a more refined version of those games. I am also a big fan of the Tactics Advance games
    god damn it are you me

and would like to try 10, 10-2 and 13 since they look like they could be fun. (of course I can't get 13 since I don't have a PS3 or 360)
    10 is great fun, but a lot of things will grate on you. 10-2 is like a reversed turd polish; a pretty nice idea as far as a game and game system wrecked by mediocre plot and being riddled with fanservice. As far as 13...

Let's not go there. Someone will complain again.

Quote Originally Posted by Acio29619 View Post
    Aw, I really want to try that one when I ever get a PS3.
    I'll just say it's not for everyone, or most people at that.

I'll assume this is directed at me seeing as i'm the only one who said thrash at the time on that post.

It's funny you assume that we like the old ones. Since this is a FF discussion thread, I have the right to discuss how thrash the game is.

Er, without turning this into a thread bashing FF13, what were some of the common complaints some had with it? I haven't looked too much into it, but I've seen some mention it's linearity, the story, and I think something about combat.

I think it being very linear and the style of combat probably are the two main things people didn't like. That and the very lame summoning. I still enjoyed playing FFXIII, it just didn't have that FF feel to it though. Although I think FF games started being less traditional since Square-Enix took over and gave us the horrible X-2.

xxx

The combat system was too simple and over complicated at the same time. The game pretty much forces you to use a specific combo against certian bosses. While the first half of the game you're pretty much doing the exact same combo. It was a neat ideal at a cross between turn base and real time but it really didn't come together well. When you are finally able to use a decent amount of combos and moves, the game is already like 70% over.

Sounds kinda discouraging, but I still wanna try it someday. Plus if FF13-2 turns out to be what people wanted from 13, then I would have to get it so I know what's going on anyway.

It would probably have helped if I had played more RPGs/JRPGs that might have been similar. I've taken chances on games before and have felt like it was worth it.

Final Fantasy Tactics, Nuff said.

I still haven't completed my hard mode run of Tactics A2. The beginning seemed really hard, what with enemies doing a lot of damage. But once it got a bit more doable, the game feels like you have to figure out what is the best way to proceed.

Sometimes I feel like I should not move on, or like I am behind or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariya Shidou View Post
    10 is great fun, but a lot of things will grate on you. 10-2 is like a reversed turd polish; a pretty nice idea as far as a game and game system wrecked by mediocre plot and being riddled with fanservice. As far as 13...

Let's not go there. Someone will complain again.
    I mostly play RPG's for the game system, so 10-2's flaws shouldn't bother me too much. I have no idea how 10 and 13's game systems work so I am little iffy on those two.
    And to say more unpoular things:

I personally think the original Final Fantasy Tactics is rather clunky and aged horribly. You undo move actions like in modern games, the charge time system is wonky and apparently in order to beat certain fights you have to do a specific course of action.

I have no idea why it gets a free pass just because of the story.
    Last edited by Zazie; 16th November 2011 at 4:00 AM.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    I mostly play RPG's for the game system, so 10-2's flaws shouldn't bother me too much. I have no idea how 10 and 13's game systems work so I am little iffy on those two.
    10, combat-wise, is basically more like a WAIT Active Time Battle mode. Basically, like a normal turn-based battle, but with some more weird nuances. For more information... (Its character development is kind of odd in general. Not the storyline sense of character development, but.)

And to say more unpoular things:

I personally think the original Final Fantasy Tactics is rather clunky and aged horribly. You undo move actions like in modern games, the charge time system is wonky and apparently in order to beat certain fights you have to do a specific course of action.

I have no idea why it gets a free pass just because of the story.
    I'll basically agree with this. Though, I guess I don't know why any game should get a free pass just for story. Good story is vital, yeah, but you need more in a video game.
    Last edited by Mariya Shidou; 16th November 2011 at 6:20 AM.

I'm a lot more excited for the FFX HD release than FFXIII-2 and FF type 0. At least I know what to expect and in a whole lot better graphics. (: I hope they don't change anything in the gameplay though.

xxx

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast