Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Dimentio View Post
    I'm sorry, but the writing is just atrocious. I try and justify it as best I can by saying that it was just due to the time period, but the 6 previous games before it were infinitely better written as well.
    As much as I like VII's story, the poor localization certainly didn't do it any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimentio View Post
    Problem with XII is, nobody can shape up to Vaan. Sure, the story is about Ashe and she is for all intents and purposes the main character, but Vaan is a vessel to move the story and characters forward, and given that design choice he is exceptionally well done, despite him being an everlasting derp.
    This is why when I heard that Vaan was going to be in Tactics Advance 2, I had second thoughts. But since he first showed up at the halfway point and didn't show until much later, I could tolerate his presence a bit. And even better, he actually wears a shirt in this game!

Like Apples to Apples? Like Pokemon? The you'll love Apples to Apples: Pokestyle!

Pokemon Drama Island - Episode 4: Extreme Makeover: Pokemon Home Edition
    My popular story from FF.net has come to the forums! Joy!
    34 Pokemon come arrive to an island to take part in a reality show that could get them rich and famous! However, can they survive the harsh gauntlet of challenges up ahead?

Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

Whenever I think of Final Fantasy XII, I remember Eruyt Village and the story of the Viera. They were an awesome race to introduce. Jote <3

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Beat! View Post
    I agree. FFVI is the best one. The cast of characters, the soundtrack, the final battle, Kefka!
    I just got VI yesterday on VC. Even coming off of Zelda: Skyward Sword's glorious fully-orchestrated tunes, FFVI sounds damn good, helped by the fact that there's no voice acting to deliver some of those absurd one-liners. God help the "son of a submariner" who localized that game.
    I'm sorry, were you expecting some kind of epic signature here?

Current works:
    A Modern Atlantis- Bioshock/Doctor Who crossover (FINALLY WRITING CHAPTER 3! Will post soon!)
    -When a perfectly mundane trip to the ocean floor causes the Doctor and his companions to discover an underwater city, they find a utopia that is anything but. (Rated PG-14 for language and violence)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiTheGengar View Post
    I just got VI yesterday on VC. Even coming off of Zelda: Skyward Sword's glorious fully-orchestrated tunes, FFVI sounds damn good, helped by the fact that there's no voice acting to deliver some of those absurd one-liners. God help the "son of a submariner" who localized that game.
    You should play the GBA version.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Quote Originally Posted by Mariya Shidou View Post
    I've played the first Tactics Advance. It's pretty fun, but the storyline is thin and the main character is either an inconsiderate prat because he falls specifically into a set of tropes or he's just a massive prick (which would be more interesting), the backstory felt under-displayed, and the stat scales just feel wrong.
    I've heard this claim elsewhere, but I really don't understand how Marche is such a giant prick. Maybe it's because I played it so long ago now that I've simply forgotten, but at any rate, I don't remember that vibe. I also liked Advance more than A2, so maybe I have some sort of subconscious bias, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitу View Post
    Whenever I think of Final Fantasy XII, I remember Eruyt Village and the story of the Viera. They were an awesome race to introduce. Jote <3
    Well... technically, the Viera were around at least as early as Tactics Advance (no idea if they were in Tactics; I need to play that at some point, as I've heard it's very good). I think the only new race XII had were the Seeq.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca R. View Post
    You should play the GBA version.
    If you can find it. I actually just recently bought a copy of it off Amazon, but it was fake. Possibly still playable, but I'm still trying to find a real copy that won't cost +$80-100, so I don't have to go with the VC. I guess I should have been aware that the odds of it being counterfeit were above average, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    If you can find it. I actually just recently bought a copy of it off Amazon, but it was fake. Possibly still playable, but I'm still trying to find a real copy that won't cost +$80-100, so I don't have to go with the VC. I guess I should have been aware that the odds of it being counterfeit were above average, though.
    I didn't realize that it was that rare to be quite honest.
    Last edited by Vernikova; 5th March 2012 at 9:33 PM.

Eh, maybe it's not. New ones are that expensive, but I've only recently turned to ordering it online, as opposed to perusing game shops for it whenever I found myself in one, so I might've just been unlucky. Still, I always hear about how prevalent counterfeits are with GBA games, such as Pokemon, so I guess I should've figured it'd be the same with others that can sell for a lot.

God help the "son of a submariner" who localized that game.
    Ted Woolsey, though Nintendo America should be blamed primarily, he was just playing by their rules. Same guys who felt Hellfire was inappropriate for Ifrit's attack and replaced it with Inferno and turned "you can burn to death" into "welcome to my barbecue". Yeah, the script sounds terrible, and I've never seen a single game use so many synonyms for "dead" without ever using the actual word, but it's part of the charm, it really is.

Well... technically, the Viera were around at least as early as Tactics Advance (no idea if they were in Tactics; I need to play that at some point, as I've heard it's very good). I think the only new race XII had were the Seeq.
    Oh you're right! I just checked it now. Most of the non-hume species from FFXII were introduced in Tactics Advance. That's quite interesting. I guess I didn't know because I've always sort of hated the Tactics games.

xxx

I've heard this claim elsewhere, but I really don't understand how Marche is such a giant prick. Maybe it's because I played it so long ago now that I've simply forgotten, but at any rate, I don't remember that vibe. I also liked Advance more than A2, so maybe I have some sort of subconscious bias, I dunno.
    Basically, his whole goal is to destroy Mewt's dreamworld because it's not "normal"/he wants to go home. He does this knowingly.

Yes, it's oversimplification, but.

It's not. It's just that it's really hard to get hard copies of and people don't like to give theirs up. I think it's available on PSN, but that might only be the PS1 port.

Also, I feel like my interest in that game is waning a bit over time. But.

He isn't. Some people just overanalyze it to the point of thinking he is a world destroying psycho.

Apparently the "kid gets stuck in a fantasy world and tries to go home" type of plot is so predictable people have to distort it into something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariya Shidou View Post
    Basically, his whole goal is to destroy Mewt's dreamworld because it's not "normal"/he wants to go home. He does this knowingly.

Yes, it's oversimplification, but.
    Either way, Mewt was a whiny and tyrannical little shit. And dragging several people into a fantasy world of your creation doesn't seem a whole lot worse to me than dragging everybody out, even if Marche was the only one who wanted to do so (which he wasn't, at least not for the whole game). Disbarring that, even, I don't think an end moral of "deal with your problems in lieu of escapism" is a bad one, especially considering how ostracized and bitchy everybody was at the beginning.

Simply, I get the argument, but I don't understand how it's a good one, much less how prevalent an opinion it seems to be.

It's not. It's just that it's really hard to get hard copies of and people don't like to give theirs up. I think it's available on PSN, but that might only be the PS1 port.

Also, I feel like my interest in that game is waning a bit over time. But.
    Either way, the original is on the Virtual Console, which is obviously easy to get. It's the GBA remake that's tricky(er). Also, apparently the anthology with V and VI goes pretty cheap on Amazon (but as I understand, is a pretty direct port; maybe it's on PSN, but I don't think so), with the original original SNES cartridge going for a little more than the GBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    He isn't. Some people just overanalyze it to the point of thinking he is a world destroying psycho.

Apparently the "kid gets stuck in a fantasy world and tries to go home" type of plot is so predictable people have to distort it into something else.
    Yeah, I guess. What gets me is that it wasn't only a fantasy world, but a completely made-up, fabricated one (or was at the time; I suppose Montblanc does mention Marche in A2). Making it go away doesn't equate to much more than doing anything in your imagination, or tearing up a picture, or something like that. Theoretically, anywho.

God help the "son of a submariner" who localized that game.
    You have to admit though, Ted Woolsey made the SNES FFs a lot more interesting. His VI translation had some good one-liners that the GBA translation kept. Such as "You sound like chapters from a self-help book." But it generally lacked the eloquence of the GBA version. For example:

"Life.. Dreams… Hope… Where'd they come from? …And where are they headed? These things... I am going to destroy!!"

vs

"Life... Dreams... Hope... Where do they come from? And where do they go...? Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!"

http://andriasang.com/con0a1/nomura_versus_mystery/
    Read that... So, is making an announcement for a future announcement the norm now? And when are we finally gonna have a new FFvXIII gameplay trailer??!! It's been 13 months since the first FFvXIII gameplay was released, and this game has been announced since way back in 2006... Get your SH!t together, Square. If I wasn't so blinded by Kingdom Hearts, I wouldn't be buying any of your games.
    "You either die a Grammar Nazi,
    or you live long enough to see yourself make a typo."
    "What's The Last Guardian? Does he mean The Last of Us? Oh, Noctis! He's the last crystal guardian."

Anyone else heard of this new game: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy? It seems like an interesting idea, and I'll probably want to buy it, but I'm still unsure about what exactly the game will include. So far it just sounds like a collection of music to me.

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitу View Post
    Anyone else heard of this new game: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy? It seems like an interesting idea, and I'll probably want to buy it, but I'm still unsure about what exactly the game will include. So far it just sounds like a collection of music to me.
    I just drummed it up to be something akin to Elite Beat Agents or something. I already have most of the music I actually like so there's no point for me to buy this game. Plus, rhythm games suck unless they're played in a group and at least a few of your friends are a little tipsy.

And here is some video footage of it. (Didn't realise this had been up since December.) I have to say they have far exceeded what I would have expected them to do with such a concept. I'm hoping they announce an English release soon! I would buy this the day it came out!

xxx

Oh man, can't wait until my memory card gets here! I just recently got another PS2 (had a random urge to play KHI & II), and also got FFX. It will be my first time playing that game (played it before, but not extensively), so I'm definitely excited for that!!
    "You either die a Grammar Nazi,
    or you live long enough to see yourself make a typo."
    "What's The Last Guardian? Does he mean The Last of Us? Oh, Noctis! He's the last crystal guardian."

Never alone, together forever. ~Made by yours truly~
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris / 3DS FC: Ask / Normal Safari: Audino, Smeargle, Lillipup
    Youtube Channel - Metroid Prime Trilogy - Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Having encountered a dilemma in XIII-2, I have to bump this thread because the GameFAQs board is more concerned with lynching Motomu Toriyama.

Ahem - How do I return to the Void Beyond? I forgot to get the Archylte Steppe and Coliseum Gate Seals, and the one you can enter through Academia 4XX AF doesn't allow you to use Moogle Throw.

"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

Quote Originally Posted by Elice_Carol View Post
    Having encountered a dilemma in XIII-2, I have to bump this thread because the GameFAQs board is more concerned with lynching Motomu Toriyama.

Ahem - How do I return to the Void Beyond? I forgot to get the Archylte Steppe and Coliseum Gate Seals, and the one you can enter through Academia 4XX AF doesn't allow you to use Moogle Throw.
    Close the gate before the Void Beyond to go back in time. Then you can play the stage again and beat it to go on to the Void Beyond. If you are lucky then you can close the Void Beyond gate and then play it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonash310 View Post
    Close the gate before the Void Beyond to go back in time. Then you can play the stage again and beat it to go on to the Void Beyond. If you are lucky then you can close the Void Beyond gate and then play it again.
    So I did eventually get it via the Sunleth Waterscape, but when I first got to the Void Beyond I went through either the Oerba 200AF or Yaschas Massif 1XAF.

"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

Final Fantasy XI is so underrated. They should re-release that in an offline version instead of X.

Final Fantasy XI is so underrated. They should re-release that in an offline version instead of X.
    Really? I'd never heard great things about it, but I suppose that's approximately exactly what you mean when you say "underrated". I probably would have played it anyway, though, if it weren't for the whole online MMORPG thing, since I've never liked those. I'd try an offline one for sure, though, and that'd definitely be preferable to remaking X, but then again I guess that applies to most things that they could do that aren't whoring out successful old games or series' names for money.

Anywho, I've started playing VI recently, and the only disappointment I've experienced is not having done so earlier. It's pretty easy to see why so many people think it's even better than VII.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast