Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #47

I love Gallade. Too bad its not fast enough to handle the current metagame.
    Both abilities are pretty good. Just remember that Steadfast gives that much needed increase in Speed.

Bulk Up
    EVs: 252 Attack and speed, 4 HP
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    Ability: Steadfast (Justified is illegal on this set)
    @: Life Orb/Leftovers

Bulk Up
    Drain Punch
    Psycho Cut/Stone Edge/Ice Punch
    Shadow Sneak

Combining Bulk Up with Gallade's high special defense will make him something tough to take down, especially with Drain Punch. Shadow Sneak is a priority move. Your last choice is a secondary STAB or a coverage move.

Swords Dance
    Ability: Either

Swords Dance
    Close Combat
    Shadow Sneak

I don't feel the need to explain this.

Choice Band
    @: Choice Band

Close Combat
    Shadow Sneak
    Psycho Cut
    Stone Edge/Ice Punch

You should know how it works.

Choice Scarf
    @: Choice Scarf

Close Combat
    Night Slash
    Psycho Cut
    Stone Edge/Ice Punch

You should know how this one works too.

Other options:
    Gallade has a healthy supply of support options.
    Hypnosis causes sleep with crap accuracy
    Will-o-wisp is burn inducer
    Thunder Wave paralyzes.
    Gallade's other attacks are noteworthy.
    Zen Headbutt is an option over Psycho Cut.
    Thunder Punch can hit Gyarados hard
    Fire Punch takes down Scizor
    Leaf Blade disposes of Gastrodon and Golurk.
    X-Scissor has more power than Night Slash when dealing with Lati@s.
    Earthquake is pretty stupid.
    I claim Buizel.

I used a Gallade on my Platinum playthrough adn recently dug it out of the box to use once more. What Gallade lacks in Defense it must make up in speed, making raising one somewhat diffucult. However this is the best set I can come up with for a Gallade

Gallade
    EVs 4HP 252Speed 252Attack
    Nature: Jolly

Moves:
    Swords Dance
    Psycho Cut
    Close Combat
    Thunderpunch/Stone Edge

I use a Gallade about like this, Leaf Blade instead of thunderpunch, and it works fairly well. Often all you have to do is use Swords Dance once and most things will cumble before Psycho Cut and Close Combat. ThunderPunch/Stone Edge makes a good counter for those pesky Flying types, allowing Gallade to remain on the feild longer.
    Take a moment to consider just how nothing nothing really is....If you understand this, then you just solved the universe.

The truth that each person...each soul...is a book. And when we lay our feelings out in the open...and we give them no name...and we give them no author....and we give them no description.....who will actually read them..........?"

Credit to Eevee for the amazing banner.
    Current fanfiction project: Pokemon: Absolution

It’s a shame Gallade doesn’t fit into the highest tiers simply because of its iffy base 80 Speed. I believe that even putting it in a Trick Room doesn’t really do much, sadly. Besides that, Gallade’s got a versatile movepool, awesome base Attack and Special Defense, and even has a way to boost his lackluster Defense.

Abilities:
    Steadfast – Raises Gallade’s Speed by 1 if he flinches. This would be an awesome way to raise Gallade’s Speed if it weren’t for the fact that flinching moves are a rarity in the battle scene. You could have your own Pokémon activate it in double battles, but intentionally dealing damage on yourself like that is maybe not the best idea.

Justified – Raises Gallade’s Attack by 1 if he’s hit by a Dark-type attack. It’s not a bad choice, although Gallade has access to Swords Dance, so it won’t entirely hurt him without the ability anyways.

So I’m really at a standstill for these abilities. They’re both decent for Gallade, it’s just the most desired one is tricky to work with. The choice is up to you.

Critical Hit Addict
    Item: Scope Lens/ Life Orb
    Ability: Steadfast/Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Sp. Def
    Nature: Adamant (+ Atk, - Spd) / Jolly (+ Spd, - Sp. Atk)
    - Psycho Cut
    - Night Slash
    - Slash
    - Stone Edge/Swords Dance

This is a pretty simple set: Attempt to hit things with Critical Hits as frequently as possible. Psycho Cut gets STAB. Slash is there in case you encounter a Dark type that would otherwise be immune to Pycho Cut and resist Night Slash.

Sweep variation
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Sp. Def (“Sweep” variation)

- Swords Dance
    - Psycho Cut
    - Night Slash / Shadow Sneak / X-Scissor
    - Close Combat / Drain Punch / Low Sweep / Leaf Blade

There are a handful of interesting choices for Gallade to have in his roster. Swords Dance boosts that high base 125 Attack to even higher levels. Psycho Cut gets STAB. Night Slash and Shadow Sneak take care of Ghost-types (Shadow Sneak gets priority), while X-Scissor takes out Dark-types that would be immune to Psycho Cut. Of course, being half Fighting-type, Gallade can also take out Dark-types with Close Combat, Drain Punch, or Low Sweep. Low Sweep isn’t a very strong attack, but it always lowers the opponent’s Speed, so you may be able to “gain” Speed in that way.

Bulk Up variation
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Sp. Def
    Nature: Impish (+ Def, - Sp. Atk)

- Bulk Up
    - Psycho Cut
    - Night Slash / Shadow Sneak / X-Scissor
    - Drain Punch

The Bulk Up variation runs in the same manner as the Sweep variation, but slightly different. Bulk Up increases both Gallade’s Attack and Defense 1 stage. Close Combat has been removed from this set because it would hinder all the stat boosting you worked on. Instead, Drain Punch is strongly recommended to keep yourself alive with as well as get Fighting STAB.

Other Options:
    Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Thunderpunch all give variety to Gallade’s sweeping potential.
    Earthquake is always awesome, and is really powerful under Gallade’s belt.
    Bulldoze lowers the Speed of all targets hit. Again, this may be a way for Gallade to “gain” Speed.
    Zen Headbutt is another physical Psychic STAB move that can cause flinching.

Attacks Index:
    - Bulldoze – TM78
    - Close Combat – Lvl. 59
    - Drain Punch – Gen IV TM60
    - Earthquake – TM26
    - Fire Punch – PtHGSS Tutor
    - Ice Punch – PtHGSS Tutor
    - Leaf Blade – Lvl. 1 / Heart Scale
    - Low Sweep – TM47
    - Night Slash – Lvl. 1 / Heart Scale
    - Psycho Cut – Lvl. 36
    - Shadow Sneak - EGG
    - Slash – Lvl. 22
    - Stone Edge – TM71
    - Swords Dance – Lvl. 31 / TM 75
    - Thunderpunch – PtHGSS Tutor
    - X-Scissor – TM81
    - Zen Headbutt – PtHGSS Tutor

Hooray! My 2nd POTW!!

Overveiw:
    Gallade is pretty cool. 2 Weakness that are easy to avoid, as you know whos going to run Ghost & Flying moves, resistant to the Rock/Fighting combo, high base 125 Attack and 115 Sp.Def, and a decently wide type movepool.

On the downside, base 68 HP and 65 Defense means he cant abuse that Rock/Fighting resistance without getting Bulk Up in, and base 80 Speed dosent help without boosts, though it has priority Feint and Shadow Sneak to somewhat compensate for it.

Abilities:
    Steadfast: Raises Speed with each flinch. Fake Out has less use in this generation, but you still know who will most likely run it, so the Speed boost is still useful.
    Justified: Raises Attack for every Dark-type move that hits, too bad it doesent make you immune to them, then this would probably be the superir option, but both are fine. Virtually all Dark types are Physical, so the only time I see this work the best is on a Bulk Up set, or if Gallade is sent out on a Dark-Type Special Sweeper, which the only notable ones (Zoroark and Hydreigon and even Houndoom) outspeed Gallade, and can still do a good dent without Sp.Def investment.

Sets:
    Bulk Up @ Leftovers
    Careful, 252 HP, 252 Sp.Def, 4 Def
    Ability:Steadfast
    ~Bulk Up
    ~Drain Punch
    ~Stone Edge/Psycho Cut
    ~Shadow Sneak

With this EV set, and one Bulk Up he can up to 340 HP, 429 Attack, 250 Defense, and 361 Sp.Def, not the most impressive, but with Leftovers and Drain Punch, it can work out. Stone Edge gives that excellent coverage with Drain Punch, but you can put Psycho Cut if you want him to use his other STAB. Shadow Sneak takes care of weaker foes, you dont have to worry about Normals or Steels walling this move, becuase Drain Punch usually takes care of these Pokemon.

Its best to sent Gallade out on Special Pokemon, as his Defense wont allow him to set up on just anything.
    B/W FC: 0862 7496 5200

(^Credit to Abagoora^)
    Art:Unvailable
    I can do one art project at a time JUST FOR MY CLAN! Note its done when its done, no deadlines and WAIT!
    See DevART for examples, No Animations!

If I ever sound mean, make a mistake, or break a rule, please be kind as to tell me before the trouble, I'd be glad to fix my mistake

Im not tolerant of others, im accepting of others!

I gots a Flipnote account! Click!

I Has A DeviantART! Click!

Quote Originally Posted by Meowmeow View Post
    I love Gallade. Too bad its not fast enough to handle the current metagame.
    Both abilities are pretty good. Just remember that Steadfast gives that much needed increase in Speed.

Bulk Up
    Ability: Steadfast (Justified is illegal on this set)

Bulk Up
    Drain Punch
    Shadow Sneak

Combining Bulk Up with Gallade's high special defense will make him something tough to take down, especially with Drain Punch. Shadow Sneak is a priority move. Your last choice is a secondary STAB or a coverage move.

Swords Dance

Swords Dance
    Close Combat
    Shadow Sneak

I don't feel the need to explain this.

Choice Band
    @: Choice Band

Close Combat
    Shadow Sneak
    Psycho Cut
    Stone Edge/Ice Punch

You should know how it works.

Choice Scarf
    @: Choice Scarf

Close Combat
    Night Slash
    Psycho Cut
    Stone Edge/Ice Punch

You should know how this one works too.

Other options:
    Gallade has a healthy supply of support options.
    Hypnosis causes sleep with crap accuracy
    Will-o-wisp is burn inducer
    Thunder Wave paralyzes.
    Gallade's other attacks are noteworthy.
    Zen Headbutt is an option over Psycho Cut.
    Thunder Punch can hit Gyarados hard
    Fire Punch takes down Scizor
    Leaf Blade disposes of Gastrodon and Golurk.
    X-Scissor has more power than Night Slash when dealing with Lati@s.
    Earthquake is pretty stupid.
    Just to remind you, Bulk Up doesn't increase Special Defense, just Attack and Defense.
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Guardian Zach View Post

a) Gallade is awesome but it's too bad it's outclassed by Medicham when it comes to Psychic/Fighting types although it has a great movepool.

b) It's got 2 abilities: Steadfast and Justified.
    Steadfast raises it's Speed by 1 each time it gets Flinched. Not too useful of an ability.
    Justified raises it's Attack by 1 each time it is hit with at Dark Move. Definitely the better of the 2 though it takes neutral from Dark and with it's low Defence, it won't be able to take much hits for this to be useful. Although Special Defence is good. Remember: It does NOT negate damage from Dark Moves.

Just two points:
    a) Medicham doesn't outclass Gallade IMO, even Medicham got a better ability with Pure Power it can't take hits from the special spectrum.

b) Actually in a RU world of Ambipoms Steadfast is just better, Gallade wins +1 speed everytime is flinched -u-

====
    Okei, now I'll talk about what is important Gallade
    The male counterpart from Gardevoir (?)

I really like tihis guy, even having just 80BS on Speed it could wear a Scarf, being just Outspeed by: Weaville, Swellow, Crobat, Aerodactyl, Jolteon, Eolectrode & Accelgor.

Scarf-A-Llade
    Gallade @Choice Scarf
    Trait: Steadfast / Justified
    EVs: 252 Attack / 4 SpDef / 252 Speed
    Nature: Jolly (+Speed / -SpAtk)
    » Close Combat
    » Night Slash
    » Psycho Cut
    » Leaf Blade / Stone Edge / Ice Punch
    ~ Well Jolly to get the a lot of Speed, Close Combat & Psycho Cut are your Stabs, Night Slash to avoid being walled by Ghost; and then just choose your coverage move, Leaf Blade kills Ground/Water; MissEdge hits flyers (except from Gliscor); and Ice Punch deals good with Dragons, and Gliscors

Bulk Upper
    Gallade @Leftovers
    Trait: Steadfast
    EVs: 240 HP / 40 Attack / 216 SpDef / 12 Speed
    Nature: Careful (+SpDef / -SpAtk)
    » Bulk Up
    » Drain Punch
    » Shadow Sneak
    » Ice Punch / Stone Edge
    ~ Not too much to say, Bulk Up + Drain Punch is something good, and well the set can deal agains a lot of things also Shadow Sneak as our Priority move to revenge kill or to hit before being hit ;D

Pokemon Showdown Nick: Xx_Tyki_xX

3Ds Code: 5171-9832-9728
    Friend Safari Fire.

Visist The Black Sheep Ark, I will always do my best.

Gallade is one of my favorite Pokemon. He's just so cool looking!

Bulldoze is a bit on the weaker side, but it could be a helpful move to compensate for his lack of speed.

I don't know how usable this could be, but if you wanted to surprise some people, you could make a special set using Calm Mind and Stored Power. SP gets a double boost from CM because of it's effect.

It looks like all the other sets have been mentioned... Gallade is really cool, but he's a little lacking...
    All your Kirby are belong to us! (>' . ')> (>' . ')>(>' . ')> (b^-^)b

I am proud to present my first wild shiny since the 3rd Generation, Magikarp!
    ...We all got to start somewhere, right?

FC: 0602-6317-4560
    Friend Safari: Electric-Pachirisu, Stunfisk, Manectric
    Add me if you want to, I'll add most anyone. Just shoot me a PM if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by wunderkind View Post
    Gallade is one of my favorite Pokemon. He's just so cool looking!

Bulldoze is a bit on the weaker side, but it could be a helpful move to compensate for his lack of speed.

I don't know how usable this could be, but if you wanted to surprise some people, you could make a special set using Calm Mind and Stored Power. SP gets a double boost from CM because of it's effect.

It looks like all the other sets have been mentioned... Gallade is really cool, but he's a little lacking...
    Every try of using special gallade is useless for that you got gardevoir

Gallade is probably the best Pokemon in the game when it comes to catching wild Pokemon. This set obviously shouldn't be used in competitive battles, but I figured it was worth posting.

Gallade @ Leftovers
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - False Swipe
    - Mean Look
    - Hypnosis
    - Thunder Wave

Not a bad Pokemon. I think this was created to keep all dem teenage boys from drooling over how hawt they think Gardevoir was, but beside that, this guy can MURDER!!

So Many Crits...
    Gallade @ Scope Lens
    Justified/Steadfast
    Jolly
    252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Hp
    -Leaf Blade
    -Psycho Cut
    -Night Slash
    -Stone Edge

Why doesn't he get Super Luck? Justified isn't bad, but no one is really going to use a Dark-type move on him, other than Sucker Punch maybe. Steadfast is next to useless. Sure, Iron Head and Fake Out are threats, but not often used. Scope Lens ups all the chances to crit on all these moves that already have a heightened critical hit chance. Psycho Cut is main STAB. Leaf Blade covers bulky Waters like Quagsire and Swampert, and also takes care of the Rock-types like Gigalith and Terrakion. Stone Edge gives coverage against Flying-types and also hits Bug-types and Ice-types well enough. Night Slash can destroy the Psychics and Ghosts that try to resist you. The only type that will resist this set (if I remember correctly) are pure Steels and Heatran. Everything else should be hit for Super Effective or neutral damage.
    Grumpig is mine.
    Planned Ruby/Sapphire Remake Team:
    Current Sapphire Team

I do GTS Negotiations. I really like trading Eggs for Eggs. So, if you see a Trainer Card with "BIDOOF is the reason for HATE.", that is me.

Gallade is an amazing pokemon capable of doing a lot of things if used correctly. Both of it's abilities are situational and not reliable but it has another way of going around of its mediocre speed...

So you think you can sweep?
    Gallade at Muscle band/Life orb/ Scope lens
    Ability: Justified/Steadfast
    Nature: Jolly
    252 ATT/ 252 SPD/ 4 HP
    Moveset:
    -Psycho cut
    -Thunder wave
    -Shadow sneak/ Leaf blade/ Night slash
    -Close combat

Basically simple, If a fast sweeper shows up to counter you, just use thunder wave, it cuts opponent speed in half meaning they'll end up with a speed lower than yours. Psycho cut, decent stab move and having a high chance of a critical hit, Close combat is the strongest stab move you've got. The final move is a toss up, while shadow sneak is best for coverage with close combat and being a priority move meaning the fast grounds will have something to be scared of. But this move is only breadable to gallade and might not be available at your gallade so use one of the other two, Leaf blade is strong and accurate and have a high chance of crits so does night slash but lower in power but other coverage. In that case, better use the scope lens for increasing the crits ratio.
    Last edited by Rayofquazar; 20th November 2011 at 6:53 PM.

My Gallade. :]

@Muscle Band
    Adamant ; Steadfast
    Likes to Thrash About

252 Attack ; 252 Speed ; 4 HP

Swords Dance ; Brick Break ; Night Slash ; Psycho Cut

It may not be the best but I like 'im. ^ -^

If you're using the Bulk Up set, always use Steadfast. Justified/Drain Punch is not a legal combo, and it'll need the HP boost. Also, after a couple bulk ups, it'll probably be able to take attacks from a scarfed Jirachi and get a speed boost or two.

Either ability could probably be used on other sets, though. It resist Fighting and Rock, so most fighting types it faces will try to use a dark move on it(Lucario's crunch, Conkeldurr's Payback, ect.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire View Post
    Leaf blade is not viable, there are plenty of good grass types in lower tiers, it is not gaining coverage real so it kind of stinks. Also why run naught over adamant or jolly?
    Look people, leaf blade is not a good choice
    POTW discusses a pokemon in OU, even if the pokemon isn't OU itself. That's because OU is also known as standard, the only pokemon not allowed are the ones too powerful, like Palkia and Dialga.

In OU, it hits Swampert, Vaporeon, Starmie, Jellicent, Politoed, Rotom-W, Gastrodon, and the occasional Quagsire or Hippowdon.
    Gallade is probably the best Pokemon in the game when it comes to catching wild Pokemon. This set obviously shouldn't be used in competitive battles, but I figured it was worth posting.

Gallade @ Leftovers
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - False Swipe
    - Mean Look
    - Hypnosis
    - Thunder Wave
    I'd usually be against posting in-game sets one the POTW, but I think this one should be posted as well. This is just one of the things Gallades is best at. If it's not posted as a set, it should at least be brought up under other options.

Oh, and Mean Look is for roamers(like Raikou), for those who don't know.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 20th November 2011 at 8:10 PM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Best pokemon ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Fighting force:

Gallade@ life orb
    ability: justified
    Adamant nature (+atk -satk)
    EV's 252 atk/ 252 spd
    Swords dance
    Psycho cut
    Leaf blade/Night slash
    Close combat

Swords dance to power up
    leaf blade or night slash for high coverage/elimination of ghost types that get in the way
    Psycho cut and close combat for STAB

bulky gallade
    Leftovers/Lum berry
    Adament
    Bulk Up
    Drain Punch
    Shadow Sneak
    Pyscho Cut
    252hp 252 atk 4spd
    3DS FC 1220 - 6490 - 8008

Quote Originally Posted by Atratus View Post
    I Choose To Be Awesome

Item: Choice Scarf / Band
    Ability: Justified / Steadfast
    EVs: 252 Att, 4 S.Def, 252 Spd
    Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -S.Att)

- Close Combat / Drain Punch
    - Psycho Cut
    - Stone Edge / Rock Slide/ Ice Punch
    - Shadow Sneak

Close Combat is the powerful STAB, but Drain Punch could be used too if you want to fancy, especially now that it is stronger. Psycho Cut is more handy this generation with all the fighting types menacing all over the place. Stone Edge, Rock Slide and Ice Punch are for coverage and Shadow Sneak is good against glass cannons that that are faster than you.

Band or Scarf depends on whther you want to emphasize on Gallade's awesome Att stat or his non-cutting-edge 284 Speed (With Jolly). Steadfast is more reliable, but Justified should be considered too. Gallade has good S.Def, meaning it can take a Dark Pulse and become stronger.

Annoyllade

Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Steadfast
    EVs: 252 Spd, 4 S.Def, 252 HP Spd
    Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -S.Att)

- Destiny Bond
    - Trick
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt

This Gallade likes to play with it's enemies. Trick gives a choice scarf to those that don't need it. Taunt messes up walls and stat boosters. Will-O-Wisp ruins Physical sweepers and tanks. Destiny bond takes the foe with you when you know you are going down.
    the last one probably isn't the best idea since if you get taunted, you're done for.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 20th November 2011 at 8:18 PM.

Thunder Punch should get put under other options, since it hits Gyarados. It's mostly outclassed by Leaf Blade and Stone edge, but I think it should still get a mention.

Ice Punch is also a good idea, it'll hit Gliscor, who'd otherwise wall it, and the common dragons.

Encore could work as a support move.

With Thunderwave and Confuse ray, it could probably run a parafusion gimmick.
    the last one probably isn't the best idea since if you get taunted, you're done for.
    Also, it's a waste of it's 125 base attack, and Destiny Bond is kind of useless on anything but suicide lead froslass.

I vote Drain Punch gets put on it.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 20th November 2011 at 8:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wadeledge View Post
    I disagree, Steadfast is a great ability if you can get it switched in on an opponent that will always use Fake Out.

In doubles Steadfast is even better because you can just pair it with Weavile or Ambipom and speed boost it youself (although purposefully taking damage IS kind of iffy)
    if the idea is to make the opponent laugh so hard that they miss the one minute window to choose their moves for the following turn and the game picks them at random then yes, this could probably work a couple of times on random wifi

otherwise just use something better like tailwind on gallade's partner, or anything

OO GALLADE!

Gallade @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
    Nature: Adamant
    -Close Combat
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Magic Coat
    -Ice Punch/ Stone Edge
    This is a DT original. Magic coat is the main move on this lead set. It bounces back Taunt, Stealth Rock, Spikes, you name it. It also keeps away nasty burns and paralysis. Close Combat is his hard-hitting STAB, and Shadow Sneak if for coverage and priority. The last move is for coverage as well. I generally go with Ice Punch to decimate Gliscor, Landorus, and Dragons, as well as anything else that won't appreciate an Ice Punch to the face. Stone Edge helps with stuff like Volcarona, which I've found to be a problem occasionally.

Gallade @ Focus Sash/ Leftovers/ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Attack/ 252 HP/ 4 Def
    Nature: Brave
    -Drain Punch
    -Trick Room
    -Swords Dance/ Night Slash
    -Hypnosis/ Night Slash
    This set is suprisingly fun Itz a Trick Room set, playing similiarly to Slowking. Drain Punch is for STAB, Trick Room is for Trick Room. Swords Dance helps to boost you're attack, which is helpful with Drain Punch. More damage, more recovery. Hypnosis helps you get set up, but Night Slash is needed to prevent Ghosts from walling you. Hypnosis also helps if you want to play this in a lead position. Otherwise, you should go with Night Slash for coverage.

Gallade @ Leftovers/ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 HP/ 176 Atk/ 80 Def
    Nature: Bold
    -Thunder Wave
    -Confuse Ray
    -Drain Punch
    -Night Slash
    A set like this gives Gallade multiple chances to attack the opponent, while minimizing the amount of times Gallade takes damage. Thunder Wave causes the opponent to only attack 50% of the time, while Confuse Ray adds to that ratio. This turns Gallade into a Parafuser. Drain Punch is for recovery and STAB, and Night Slash is for coverage.
    Last edited by dragontamer98; 20th November 2011 at 9:10 PM.
    ~~Insert Creative Sig Here~~

if the idea is to make the opponent laugh so hard that they miss the one minute window to choose their moves for the following turn and the game picks them at random then yes, this could probably work a couple of times on random wifi
    But Luvdisc does a much better job at that.

Anyway, I think I'll post one of my sets...I haven't seen this one yet.

Bulky
    Steadfast/Leftovers
    Impish/252HP/I suck at EVs
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Drain Punch
    -Night Slash/Stone Edge/Ice Punch
    -Bulk Up/Taunt/Toxic/Thunder Wave/Pain Split

Will-o-Wisp helps to make up for it's poor defense stat, along with the impish nature. Drain Punch is STAB and restores health. The third move provides coverage for Fighting, and the last could boost defense and attack, stop walls, cripples sweepers, or recovers it's health.

Anyway, I might call this it's niche over other fighting types. Lucario, Mienshao, and Infernape don't have the Bulk to pull this off, while Conkeldurr lacks the special defense. Machamp only has 80/80 defenses, and no will-o-wisp to boost it's defenses.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 20th November 2011 at 9:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Its mostly outclassed by Lucario, but its more bulky and is only weak to Ghost and Flying, both extremely rare types in OU. Its probably far more dangerous to stall teams due to how they generally rely on Gliscor, Tentacruel or Quagsire to beat Lucario.. none of which beat Gallade.

It also gets Shadow Sneak which is overall worse than Extremespeed, but it does wipe out Gengar which is pretty much the only thing in OU that has a super-effective STAB. The other is Skarmory with Brave Bird, but +2 Close Combat easily OHKOs.
    Tornadus is common enough, and hurricane on dragonite is somewhat viable, as well as nasty plot lucario w/ shadow ball

Quote Originally Posted by Wire View Post
    Tornadus is common enough, and hurricane on dragonite is somewhat viable, as well as nasty plot lucario w/ shadow ball
    Last time I checked, Tornadus wasn't even OU, and thats only for rain teams. Edit: Tornadus is UU.

Lucario wouldn't be able to set up a nasty plot with Gallade's super effective fighting STAB, and it probably won't OHKO with shadow ball otherwise.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 20th November 2011 at 10:45 PM.

Knights of the Choice Scarf
    Gallade@Choice Scarf
    Adamant nature
    Justified
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Close Combat
    ~Psycho Cut
    ~Night Slash
    ~Leaf Blade

Gallade is pretty good. Excellent Attack, nice Special Defense, great movepool... Remind me why this thing isn't OU? Oh, yeah, the Speed. Luckily, Gallade's Speed isn't nearly as hopeless as that of its fellow knight Escavalier (which, as it happens, we covered last week, lol. Next week will be Bisharp, calling it right now), thus making a Choice Scarf set possible. Close Combat and Psycho Cut are for STAB. Night Slash and Close Combat have nearly perfect coverage together. And Leaf Blade is an excellent filler move for those pesky Quagsire and Gastrodon.

Item is obvious. Ability is preferable because barring Fake Out, Gallade ain't gonna be flinching much. And even then, before Justified activates, nobody in their right mind is gonna Fake Out a Gallade anyway.

ChivalRest
    Gallade@Leftovers
    Careful nature
    Steadfast
    252 HP/252 Sp. Def/4 Atk
    ~Bulk Up
    ~Rest
    ~Sleep Talk
    ~Night Slash

This set attempts to capitalize on Gallade's considerable special bulk, hence the EVs. Bulk Up increases Gallade's Attack and Speed, allowing it to attempt a bulky sweep. The RestTalk combo is there for quick and reliable recovery.

Item keeps Gallade alive moar. Ability is the only one legal with Sleep Talk.

Dances With Swords
    Gallade@Leftovers
    Jolly nature
    Steadfast
    252 Spd/200 Atk/56 HP
    ~Swords Dance
    ~Psycho Cut
    ~Shadow Sneak
    ~Close Combat

Gallade can learn Swords Dance, and it knows how to use it! The EVs are made to capitalize on its Speed so Swords Dance can handle the Attack. Close Combat and Psycho Cut are for STAB, and Shadow Sneak is a neat little priority move Gallade gets, which, as a Ghost move, has perfect coverage with Close Combat.

Item helps recover any damage taken on the setup turn. Ability is preferred because let's be honest here. Gallade's Speed needs all the help it can get.

Other options:
    *A Gallade from Generation IV has access to the elemental punches, but they're all illegal with Justified.
    *X-Scissor makes a decent filler move if you can make room for it.
    *Gallade has access to Calm Mind and a decent special movepool, including stuff like Psychic, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, and Grass Knot. It also, unfortunately, has a horrible Special Attack, so it might be best to leave that area up to Gardevoir.
    *Gallade learns Trick Room, but it's Speed is at that maddening area where it's too low to really be effective, yet too high for Trick Room abuse.
    *Gallade can also pull off the EdgeQuake combo, but it might be best to stick with Close Combat/Night Slash, as Stone Edge has an increasingly bad reputation for shitty accuracy, and it gets STAB on Close Combat.

Abilities:
    *Steadfast: Raises Gallade's Speed by one stage when it flinches. Not a bad ability, but nobody's gonna be fool enough to go with Fake Out on Gallade. Plus, most flinch-inducing moves are physical, and thus hit Gallade on its worse defensive stat. Might be a necessity in some cases, however.
    *Justified: Gallade's Hidden Ability. Increases its Attack one stage when it's hit by a Dark move. Unlike stuff such as Sap Sipper, this doesn't give Gallade an immunity to Dark. Probably the better idea, as it's a little more common to see Gallade taking a Dark move. Also, this can be activated on a switch-in, unlike Steadfast, because Gallade can't flinch on the same turn it's being sent out.

Partners:
    Any Gallade set appreciates Tailwind support. The Swords Dance set would especially enjoy being Smashpassed to.

Counters:
    Really powerful physical moves that Gallade is weak to, such as Brave Bird and Shadow Claw, will do it in with ease, with the possible exception of the Bulk Up set, and even then, I don't know. Any physical wall will probably do a good job, but Ferrothorn needs to watch out for Close Combat, Skarmory needs to be careful of ThunderPunch, and both of them need to beware of Fire Punch. Spiritomb and Sableye are immune to both of Gallade's STABs and can blast it with Will-O-Wisp, which all but the Bulk Up set will find extremely crippling.

Opinion:
    Gallade is really cool, but I'm at a loss as to why they didn't make it faster. Seriously, a couple dozen more points in its base Speed stat could sent it flying up to OU.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 2 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

ChivalRest
    Gallade@Leftovers
    Careful nature
    Steadfast
    252 HP/252 Sp. Def/4 Atk
    ~Bulk Up
    ~Rest
    ~Sleep Talk
    ~Night Slash

This set attempts to capitalize on Gallade's considerable special bulk, hence the EVs. Bulk Up increases Gallade's Attack and Speed, allowing it to attempt a bulky sweep. The RestTalk combo is there for quick and reliable recovery.

Item keeps Gallade alive moar. Ability is the only one legal with Sleep Talk.
    Rest talk would be best under "other options", since it gets STAB drain punch an Pain Split.

Also, why night slash? That's dark type, so it doesn't get any STAB.
    *Gallade has access to Calm Mind and a decent special movepool, including stuff like Psychic, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, and Grass Knot. It also, unfortunately, has a horrible Special Attack, so it might be best to leave that area up to Gardevoir.
    Because of Gallade's sister, this shouldn't even be under other options.
    Gallade is really cool, but I'm at a loss as to why they didn't make it faster.
    Probably because it's a more stationary fighting type. It's only quick movements are in it's arms. Meanwhile, Infernape, Mienshao and friends are moving their whole bodies at high speed.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 20th November 2011 at 10:50 PM.

Gallade of Gales
    Ability: Steadfast
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp
    Item: Focus Sash/ Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, +Spd), Jolly (+Spd, +Atk)
    Moves:
    -Shadow Sneak/ Night Slash
    -Psycho Cut
    -Drain Punch/ Close Combat
    -Thunder Punch/ Ice Punch/ Thunder Wave

Probably the best set you’ll see for Gallade as a sweeper. Steadfast helps with Gallade’s iffy Speed while Shadow Sneak gives you immediate speed advantage over Psychic types and Ghost types. Night slash is a more powerful alternative, but it doesn’t give you speed support. Psycho Cut is Gallade’s main STAB, while Drain Punch is a good offensive and recovery move. Close Combat is stronger, but it's also an all-out attack with risks. Thunder Punch and Ice Punch are great coverage for Flying types, but Thunder Wave guarantees speed advantage.
    Last edited by ringuma; 24th November 2011 at 12:51 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast