Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #47

Talking Sets of the best pokemon out there

Gallade is my favorite pokemon, as you can tell with my Username, Avatar, and Fav pokemon in my sig. Any way, now to the move set

CHOICE
    Item: Choice Band/Scarf
    Ability: dependent on Item (Justified if Band, SteadFast if Scarf)
    Lonely nature, 252 Attack 252 Speed 4 HP
    -Close Combat
    -Psycho Cut
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Leaf Blade/Night Slash
    Standard Choice Set. Hit as Hard as you can, then switch out when you need to.

Sir Gallade, the Dancer
    Item: Life Orb/Muscle Band
    Ability: Justified
    Lonely/Hasty nature, 252 Attack 252 Speed 4 HP
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Night Slash
    -Psycho Cut
    SD gets an IMMENSE attack If you can use it multiple times. Then just beat the crap out of them with it.

Oh, I'm just getting started.
    Item: Focus Sash/Band, Leftovers
    Ability: Stead Fast
    Mild Nature, 252 Special Attack 252 Speed 4 HP
    -Work Up/Bulk Up/ Calm Mind
    -Stored Power
    -Thunder Wave/Hypnosis/Double Team/X-Scissor/Focus Blast
    -Thunder Wave/Hypnosis/Double Team/X-Scissor/Focus Blast
    I tried to incorporate Stored power in a move set, and this is what I got. Just Store up, and wail on the enemy.
    I am nobody. Nobody is perfect. Therefore, I am perfect.
    RIP The Elemental Trinity, november 6th 2011 - march 2nd
    Black 2 FC- 4943 3302 7053. Name-Indigo
    3DS friend code - 2793 0630 2870. type flying- tranquill farfetchd and tropius
    3DS XL friend code - 2122-6619-4020. Type ghost - golurk pumpkaboo and lampent.
    √-1 <3 MATH

Gallade's pretty good. Only problems are his low defense, HP, and Speed. He also lacks a lot of good fighting moves. He has Close Combat, but he loses Defense and that's already low. His Sp. Atk is low so he can't really utilize Focus Blast and Vaccuum Wave. Both of his abilities are kind of useless. You can't really time when someone's going to use a dark move and you don't really see flinching happen that often, only with Fake Out and by chance, Steadfast raises Speed which is vital and makes him deadly and Justified raises his attack which also makes him a threat.

Speed Gallade
    Steadfast
    Muscle Band/Life Orb/Scope Lens/Razor Claw/Leftovers
    Jolly +Spd/-SpAtk
    4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd

Thunder Wave/Low Sweep/Bulldoze
    Night Slash
    Drain Punch
    Psycho Cut

Thunder Wave cuts the opponent's speed in half and has a chance of making them not attack. Low Sweep and Bulldoze do the same thing; they lower the opponent's speed, but Low Sweep gets STAB and Bulldoze covers more. Night Slash covers one of your two weaknesses. Drain Punch gets STAB and is better now that it's stronger. Psycho Cut also gets STAB.
    ~~~
    Power House
    Justified or Steadfast
    Muscle Band/Life Orb/Leftovers
    Adamant +Atk/-SpAtk
    4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd

Swords Dance/Bulk Up
    Close Combat
    Earthquake/Stone Edge
    Night Slash

Swords Dance doubles Gallade's attack. Bulk Up is there to help with Gallade's bad Defense. It also can be used with Close Combat Lowering Gallade's defense is bad, but its Special Defense is high so it should be fine. Earthquake gets a lot of coverage and it's strong. Stone Edge is also strong and it covers one of your weaknesses. Night Slash covers your other weakness.
    ~~~
    Critical Hit
    Justified or Steadfast
    Scope Lens/Razor Claw
    Adamant +Atk/-SpAtk
    4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd

Stone Edge
    Leaf Blade
    Psycho Cut
    Night Slash

All of the moves have a high critical-hit ratio. Combined with Gallade's amazing attack stat and the items, the chance of getting a critical hit is 25%.
    ~~~
    Harakiri
    Steadfast
    Life Orb
    Jolly +Spd/-SpAtk or Adamant +Atk/-SpAtk
    4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd or 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def

Momento/Destiny Bond/Grudge
    Close Combat
    Psycho Cut
    Earthquake/Giga Impact/Stone Edge

Close Combat and Psycho Cut get STAB. Earthquake, Giga Impact and Stone Edge are all powerful moves. Deal a ton of damage. Use Momento, Grudge, or Destiny Bond before you faint. Momento will sharply lower the opponent's Attack and Special Attack and make yourself faint. Grudge makes the opponent lose all of their HP for the last move used on you and Destiny Bond will bring the opponent down with you. Grudge and Destiny Bond won't work unless your opponent defeats you that turn.

*This set is best used on a Trick Room team to ensure his final move (Grudge, Destiny Bond, Momento) is used before it faints. If it's used on a Trick Room team use Adamant and 252 HP, 252 Atk, and 4 Def, other wise use Jolly and 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 22nd November 2011 at 11:03 PM.

To those of you who say leaf blade is a poor choice (you know who you are) Jellicent needs a word with you.

Also, Leaf Blade has save my *** against Bulky Waters/Grounds many times. It's DEFINITELY worth mention.
    C+ Grade PASBL Ref

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    I've been gone from Serebii for over 4 months already and this is by far the best team to grace the barren wastelands of Serebii's Competitive section. Let its creation be known throughout the land. Kings will hold grand feasts to commemorate its conception. All wars will end. The eyes of children will finally be opened to the truth of MMS.
    Creds for the cute ub to my bby Turpoo <3

Sri Gallahead
    Justified preferred.
    @Leftovers
    Naive 252 speed 252 HP and 6sp.atk
    -Bulk Up
    -Calm Mind
    -Drain Punch
    -Stored Power

Just to use double STAB.
    SOOOO DAMN BORED ON THE TRAIN RIGHT NOW!!!
    Nambiri

Sharp-eyed Focus
    Moves: Double Team
    Focus Punch
    Bulk up
    Aerial Ace
    Item: Focus Sash
    Last edited by Shadow249; 21st November 2011 at 9:51 PM.

Default Bored!

Sri Gallahead
    Justified preferred.
    @Leftovers
    Naive 252 speed 252 HP and 6sp.atk
    -Bulk Up
    -Calm Mind
    -Drain Punch
    -Stored Power

Just to use double STAB.
    SOOOO DAMN BORED ON THE TRAIN RIGHT NOW!!!
    Nambiri

Whoop whoop, one of my favorite Fighting Types.

BULK UP @ Leftovers
    Ability: Justified/Steadfast (both not too bad, take your pick)
    -Bulk Up
    -Drain Punch
    -Psycho Cut/Ice Punch
    -Night Slash/Ice Punch/Shadow Sneak/Leaf Blade
    Jolly Nature
    252 HP/252 SpD/4 Def

This utilizes Gallade's AMAZING Special Defense while boosting up its poor defense and good base 125 attack. The three primarily listed offensive moves get perfect coverage, but you could go Ice Punch or Shadow Sneak in place of Night slash to cover ground types and to finish weak foes off with Shadow Sneak. Leaf Blade also hits ground types as well as water types, too.
    Last edited by MuddyMuncher9000; 21st November 2011 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow249 View Post
    Sharp-eyed Focus
    Moves: Double Team
    Focus Punch
    Bulk up
    Aerial Ace
    Item: Focus Sash
    double team is banned and it's a gimmicky move anyway if it was allowed

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

one of my favourites, and as long as my signature is still what i think it was you can understand why, not to mention he is the backbone of my competitive team

basically what heracross did
    close combat
    psycho cut
    night slash
    ice punch/stone edge/earthquake/thunderpunch/fire punch/poison jab/leaf blade/x-scissor
    att/spe/spd 252/252/4
    adamant/jolly
    choice scarf
    fighting/dark attacking types are perfect together, psychic makes for a good auxiliary attack type and for the last you have a small number of options :P

basically what scizor does but in standard
    thunderpunch/ice punch/fire punch/leaf blade
    close combat/psycho cut
    252/252/4
    choice scarf
    gallade can make a great counter to many of the top threats because of his varied move pool, and choice scarf can be used with his passable speed to get in quick and change out fast. thunderpunch can ko any gyarados, ice punch gets its usual dragon flying ground etc. threats fire punch takes care of ferothorn and scizor and leaf blade rips apart swampert

The best partner for Gallade is probably a baton passer... aka Ninjask... Ninjask and Gallade are buddies to the end because of how incredibly, insanely, ludicrous, and unfortunately odd Gallade's speed is. And Ninjask is the perfect cure for all those problems...
    I mean, it's way too fast to abuse Trick Room, but too slow to have a chance at a sweep without(insert baton pass ideas here)boosting...
    I think Ninjask is perfect for passing a couple of speed boosts(at least) as well as a Sword Dance... Cuz Gallade sure enjoys them swords

make sure to include close combat the 120 powerd fighting move for gallades best move !

Quote Originally Posted by Wire View Post
    Tornadus is common enough, and hurricane on dragonite is somewhat viable, as well as nasty plot lucario w/ shadow ball
    Tornadus is UU and takes 54.5% - 64.2% from a +2 LO Shadow Sneak. Dragonite and Lucario both run those moves, though both sets are by far less common than physical versions and Lucario can't OHKO anyway. If Gallade runs Jolly you outrun most Dragonite / Lucario.

Gallade is outclassed by Lucario but it still has a lot of cool options.

Offensive Swords Dance. Different stats / typing / movepool from Lucario.. Jolly hits higher speed than Adamant Lucario and 99.7% the same attack (effectively the same). It usually beats Lucario's counters / checks like Gliscor (Ice Punch + survives EQ), Gengar (Shadow Sneak), Scarf Tyranitar, Scarf Heatran, Defensive Hippowdon and Mach Punch Infernape.

Defensive Bulk Up. Bulk Up / Drain Punch / Ice Punch / Shadow Sneak with a specially defensive EV spread. Set speaks for itself. Bulk Up to grain great bulk and attack then sweep. It can run Substitute too.

Choice. Close Combat / Night Slash / Trick / Ice Punch. 2HKOs pretty much every Pokemon in the game barring Cresselia if you hold a Choice Band. Trick Scarf screws with stall if you need it to.

Status. Great Special Defense and Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave / Pain Split / a ton of other annoying options. Pretty much outclassed by Gardevoir unless you like throwing around Close Combats.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Thunder Wave cuts the opponent's speed in half and has a chance of making them not attack. It's a lot better now since it can also hit Ground-types.
    Wait what?

BAN TALONFLAME TO UBERS!

Wait what?
    I think that t-wave paralyzing ground types was a rumor running around in early gen 5, and some people haven't realized that this hasn't changed.

T-wave is still good on some sets, though.
    The best partner for Gallade is probably a baton passer... aka Ninjask... Ninjask and Gallade are buddies to the end because of how incredibly, insanely, ludicrous, and unfortunately odd Gallade's speed is. And Ninjask is the perfect cure for all those problems...
    I mean, it's way too fast to abuse Trick Room, but too slow to have a chance at a sweep without(insert baton pass ideas here)boosting...
    I think Ninjask is perfect for passing a couple of speed boosts(at least) as well as a Sword Dance... Cuz Gallade sure enjoys them swords
    Most speed passers would work. Smeargle would also do a good job, baton passing dragon dance or shell smash.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Ability:
    Steadfast- Once flinched, the Spd raises by 1. Good ability.
    Justified- Raises Atk once hit by Dark Type move. Good ability.

Swords Dance Sweeper
    @Life Orb/Left-overs
    Steadfast / Justified
    Jolly / Adamant [252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SpDef]

- Swords Dance
    - Psycho Cut / Close Combat
    - Leaf Blade / Drain Punch
    - Stone Edge / X-Scissor / Night Slash

Easy. Swords Dance for bost. Psycho Cut and Close Combat as offensive STAB. Leaf Blade is another offensive move while Drain Punch is for healing. Stone Edge and Night Slash cover your weaknesses while x-Scissor are for those Psychic Type who will try to resist your STAB.

Support?
    @Light Clay
    Careful [ 252 HP / 244 SpDef / 8 Atk]
    SteadFast / Justified

- Thunder Wave / Toxic
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect
    - Taunt / Ice Punch / Drain Punch / Zen Headbutt

Although not that good, Gallade is also campable on supporting, thanks to its moderate SpDef and great Status Movepool. Thunder Wave and Toxic shuts some pokemon that serves as your threat. Light Screen and Reflect explain themselves. For the last slot, Taunt taunts the foe before they taunt you. Ice Punch is a damaging move that has no immunity. Drain Punch and Zen Headbutt are reliable STAB moves.

Choice
    @Choice Band / Choice Scarf
    Steadfast / Justified
    Jolly / Adamant [252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SpDef]

- Psycho Cut / Close Combat
    - Leaf Blade / Drain Punch
    - Stone Edge / X-Scissor / Night Slash
    - X-Scissor / Ice Punch / Thunder Punch

This set is a choicer. Moves explain themselves.

Partners
    Anything that cover its weaknesses. Golem, Zweilous, Golurk, Stunfisk.

Countering
    Since most set of Gallade are sweeping, Paraplinchers and Trick Room ruin him. Jirachi, Togekiss, Rotom, Jellicent.

Pre-Evo
    Kirlia is cute. This is the reason why I just add him here.

I don't know if someone posted this already, but I will, so here goes.

Gallade@Leftovers
    Ability:Steadfast
    EVs:not too sure
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk), Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
    -Bulk Up
    -Substitute
    -Drain Punch
    -Shadow Sneak

This set runs Bulk Up and Substitute to become more bulky and stronger and boost its weak Defense. It also has Drain Punch to heal off Substitute damage and for Fighting STAB and also to complete Ghost-Fighting neutrality with Shadow Sneak.

(was this an ok post? its my first!)

Please feed my team! Thank you!

PM me for my friend code!

Lickyception!

Spoiler:- Credits:

Specscavalier made Other Options. There's living proof that it is, in fact, a sexy beast.

Gallade is pretty cool in RU. It works in upper tiers, I suppose, but it's very nice in RU. Bulk Up is my personal favorite, since you can stay alive pretty well as long as you can land a Drain Punch every now and then. Evolite Gligar don't even do squat because of Ice Punch. SD is also very nice, since Close Combat just kills things.

Yeah, I'm really trying to make this post look useful.

He spies... he hits
    @Scope Lens
    Ability: Steadfast / Justified
    EVs/Nature: Jolly / Adamant [252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SpDef or 4 HP or 4 Def]

- Close Combat / Drain Punch
    - Psycho Cut
    - Leaf Blade
    - Shadow Sneak

In my opinion, apart from maybe adding Swords Dance, this is your only viable set for Gallade. Close Combat for sheer power or Drain Punch is you want a healing option as STABs that can take out most Steels. Psycho Cut as another STAB that gets boosted by a doubly high crit ratio (thanks to scope lens). Leaf Blade is a strong move that takes out Bulky Waters. Shadow Sneak for priority.

Scope lens is a gimmick, since crits are still going to be rare anyway...It's probably worthy of mentioning under other options, though.

Seriously guys try running a wish set
    @ Leftovers
    Careful
    Steadfast
    252 hp 60 atk 196 sp def
    Wish
    Drain Punch
    WoW
    Bulk Up

|||||||
    Yellow Lv 36 | Saph Lv 35 | Garnet Lv 35 | Eevee Lv 34 | TDK Lv 38 | APorygonZ Lv 33
    Credit to Blues

Here's a common Gallade set.

Nature: Careful
    Ability: Either will do
    EVs: 126 HP + Attack, 188 in defence, and 63 in Sp. Def
    Moves:
    Shadow Sneak
    Bulk up
    Drain Punch
    Psycho Cut/Encore

You can encore on a flinchy (if you had steadfast) or non-harmful move or start bulking up right away. Drain Punch will keep your health up and not risk loosing defenses. Lastly, shadow sneak gives you priority.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Scope lens is a gimmick, since crits are still going to be rare anyway...It's probably worthy of mentioning under other options, though.
    Speaking of the Devil. And it's one of my Favs. I have three.

Other Options

Gravity is gimmicky, but if you want to try it with Stone edge and Earthquake, be my guest.
    Trick room fits ok with an Iron ball, I guess. Can't say I haven't seen it.
    Focus punch combined with either Hypnosis or Substitute works well. Hypnosis is also useful for switching.
    Other statuses from Burn, to Taunt to parahax, to Toxic, to even confusion. A lot of choices.
    Zen headbutt works with any status, and can be a good Stab move. Sadly, the accuracy is 90, and most people will perfer Psycho cut.
    Destiny bond is a classic lead move, and works with his low defense. A pokemon for a pokemon, possibly ruining a sweep, too.
    Elemental punches work well, Fire hurts Ferrothorn, Thunder hurts bulky waters, and Ice hurts Gliscor, Evolite-Gligar, and dragons.
    Scope lens, as my friend has mentioned, boosts critical hit ratio. Nice if you carry Stone edge, Psycho cut, Night slash, and/or Leaf blade. It also doesn't hurt to mention because of Gallade's bulk- too little for leftys at times, and more than enough for life orb at others. Then of course, we also have the Expert belt.
    Apparently, I can't claim Larvesta. But who cares?
    It's still the cutest bug eva!

I am The Grovyle, that friend in a high place.

The craziest battle I ever had- Toxic spikes supported baton passing team, with a Splashing Wailord. And won. You have to try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Also, why night slash? That's dark type, so it doesn't get any STAB.
    Since it would be Gallade's only attacking move on that set, I wanted something that nothing was immune to. Ghost-types laugh at Drain Punch, Dark-types sneer at Psycho Cut, Steel-types deflect Poison Jab with ease, anything with Sap Sipper just eats Leaf Blade right up, Ground-types don't feel ThunderPunch, anything with Flash Fire doesn't feel the burn from Fire Punch, Normal-types don't believe in Shadow Sneak, Flying-types soar above Earthquake, Shedinja is immune to Ice Punch, Aerial Ace is too weak, and Stone Edge has too little PP and too low accuracy for such a defensive set. This leaves only Night Slash. Well, and Rock Slide, but imperfect accuracy and lower PP leaves Night Slash the superior choice.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 3 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
    Since it would be Gallade's only attacking move on that set, I wanted something that nothing was immune to. Ghost-types laugh at Drain Punch, Dark-types sneer at Psycho Cut, Steel-types deflect Poison Jab with ease, anything with Sap Sipper just eats Leaf Blade right up, Ground-types don't feel ThunderPunch, anything with Flash Fire doesn't feel the burn from Fire Punch, Normal-types don't believe in Shadow Sneak, Flying-types soar above Earthquake, Shedinja is immune to Ice Punch, Aerial Ace is too weak, and Stone Edge has too little PP and too low accuracy for such a defensive set. This leaves only Night Slash. Well, and Rock Slide, but imperfect accuracy and lower PP leaves Night Slash the superior choice.
    Actually, what about another Gallade, or the unova dogs, or anyone who has the ability JUSTIFIED?????????
    I am nobody. Nobody is perfect. Therefore, I am perfect.
    RIP The Elemental Trinity, november 6th 2011 - march 2nd
    Black 2 FC- 4943 3302 7053. Name-Indigo
    3DS friend code - 2793 0630 2870. type flying- tranquill farfetchd and tropius
    3DS XL friend code - 2122-6619-4020. Type ghost - golurk pumpkaboo and lampent.
    √-1 <3 MATH

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Gallade View Post
    Actually, what about another Gallade, or the unova dogs, or anyone who has the ability JUSTIFIED?????????
    They aren't actually immune, but they do get attack boost.
    Focus punch combined with either Hypnosis or Substitute works well. Hypnosis is also useful for switching.
    Ooh, you just gave me some inspiration.

Wannabe Breloom
    Leftovers/Stead Fast
    Impish/252HP/252attack
    -Hypnosis
    -Substitute
    -Focus Punch
    -Ice Punch/Night Slash/Stone Edge

Hypnosis puts an enemy sleep, forcing a free swap out. Then, you can substitute safely. Third move is STAB, and last move is coverage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast