View Poll Results: Do you care/are you active in the Pokemon VGCs?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am active in the Pokemon VGCs

14 31.82%
  • Yes, I care about the VGC but I'm not really active.

13 29.55%
  • No. I don't care, and I'm not active in VGC.

12 27.27%
  • VGC what? Is that a soda?

5 11.36%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon VGCs; are you in?

Default Pokemon VGCs; are you in?

Hey guys! I think VGCs is a competitive form of Pokemon, so I think this is the place. If not, then please point me in the right direction. (:

Anyways, the main purpose of this thread is to ask a question. And that question is,

Are you active in/do you care about the Pokemon VGCs?

So, there are really three answers to this question; "Yes", "No", and "WTF is 'Pokemon VGCs'???"

To help with that last question, I will post this:

Quote Originally Posted by NACHOE! View Post
    I want to use my Pokemon regardless of their tiering and not encounter only Pokemon from the OU tier. That is why I am personally in love with VGC Style of battling. Everyone says that Smogon is the Unofficial "Official" Standard of battling, without realizing that there actually is an Official Standard of Battling, and that is the VGC. VGC stands for the Video Game Championships, which takes place every year in the US in specific locations. There's the Regionals, Nationals, and Worlds, but I won't go too much further into that.
    So, what's it gonna be? I personally am an active Pokemon VGC player. I don't actually have access to Pokemon VGCs (I live in Japan, I'm American, I don't understand/read Japanese and I don't really know any Japanese people), but my team follows the VGC rules and I personally aim to be capable of holding my own against other VGC Teams. Also, on Pokemon Online, I am constantly dancing in the Skarmbliss VGC server.

So, what about you guys?

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

I find VGC battles boring. No sleep clause, and past the first three rounds everyone runs the same stuff.

if i lived in the states like i wish i did then i would be but im not so i cant *snif*
    Latest Shiny!

Chain fish in Cyllage City in Pokemon X!

3DS FC: 4682 - 8902 - 8849
    PM me if you decide to add me. Psychic Friend Safari with Xatu, Munna and Espurr.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    I find VGC battles boring. No sleep clause, and past the first three rounds everyone runs the same stuff.
    I beg to differ, doubles takes on a whole new feeling for pokemon. it goes faster than singles, so you need to pay attention to every detail. An it usually takes more skill, as in doubles things like switching and prediction aren't as common as in singles.

Here is a tiering list done by DeagleBeagle on usable pokes for VGCs, and even more pokemon are used outside of these tier pokemon.

I think it's a great way of playing pokemon and meeting new people, but thats my opinion

I chase the dream, not the competition.

i have never played a VGC match before. probably because where i live we don't have it and i just never got into it.

None of the above.

I wish I could, but I can't. I never get to leave town for events for myself, my parents would have to benefit from it, or clothes shopping, ect, and we never clothes shopping in Pheonix, other cities are closer.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My signature sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    To each his own, I guess. Honestly, I don't see how that's much different from battling OU, as most people OU tend to have very similar teams (to my understanding. And no hate to tiering and stuff, just to be clear).

With VGCs, you're at least not limited to tiers, and you have a chance of seeing some more diverse battling, but again, to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Sam~ View Post
    if i lived in the states like i wish i did then i would be but im not so i cant *snif*
    I feel your pain, kind sir. T_T

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster123 View Post
    I beg to differ, doubles takes on a whole new feeling for pokemon. it goes faster than singles, so you need to pay attention to every detail. An it usually takes more skill, as in doubles things like switching and prediction aren't as common as in singles.

Here is a tiering list done by DeagleBeagle on usable pokes for VGCs, and even more pokemon are used outside of these tier pokemon.

I think it's a great way of playing pokemon and meeting new people, but thats my opinion
    First of all, I never knew about that site. That's awesome; thanks!
    Secondly, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I'm really into the whole VGC concept, and I love the fact that there are conventions where all these Pokemon players meet up. You could very easily meet up with some of your Pokemon friends at these events, and you have a chance to battle all sorts of different people. Plus, who doesn't want to go to a Pokemon place? Why do you think the Pokemon Center stores are so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by floatzel98 View Post
    i have never played a VGC match before. probably because where i live we don't have it and i just never got into it.
    Neither have I, but the style of battling is pretty interesting. But it's not everyone's cup of tea, so I can't say anything against you. You might want to give it a try though, just to see. Who knows? You just might like it. I personally only found out about VGCs by chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    None of the above.

I wish I could, but I can't. I never get to leave town for events for myself, my parents would have to benefit from it, or clothes shopping, ect, and we never clothes shopping in Pheonix, other cities are closer.
    Aw, that sucks. If I lived in the States, I would definitely do everything I could to get to one of these events. But I also understand the parent thing; if I lived in the States, my parents would probably be the same way. But my mom does like shopping, so she might be persuadable in the matter, but I don't really know.

Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!

i would love to go to a vgc but i'm at the wrong side of the UK to reach it.
    My White FC : 3396-2827-7492
    PO Name: TheFox
    Time Zone: GMT+0

Able to EV mon in under 24hrs
    Can also Ev erase as well
    PM for more details

RMT : http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=560308

my fav mon:

You should get someone to put that link on the officiall VGC Thread.

Nope, I'm not doing it. Because I don't okay the games. If only it could somehow include PO...

http://www.smogon.com/bw/metagames/vgc2012

Just a list of pokemon smogon suggest for VGC. They might add more later, though.
    My signature sucks.

That's a contradictory sentence bro.

VGCs don't ban anything. You can win if you just abuse broken ****. Plus like Blue Harvest said they don't have anything like Sleep Clause that keeps you from abusing broken mechanics.

Other than that I honestly don't see a point in this thread. There's already a VGC discussion thread, and a poll could be added if somebody wanted to make that happen.

Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

VGC...what flavor is that? Very Grape Coke?

I personally don't play VGCs because...well, I'm terrible. That, and it always seems like if the opponent isn't using TerraCott, they're using some other easily spammable strategy.
    Last edited by jesusfreak94; 23rd November 2011 at 5:58 PM.

I woul love to go, but I don't live in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by complete legitimacy View Post
    VGCs don't ban anything. You can win if you just abuse broken ****. Plus like Blue Harvest said they don't have anything like Sleep Clause that keeps you from abusing broken mechanics.
    Well, you can't expect that unofficial battle rules will apply to an official tournament, can you?
    I'm so broke, I can't even afford a cool signature.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbiscuit View Post
    Well, you can't expect that unofficial battle rules will apply to an official tournament, can you?
    There was a sleep clause in PBR...
    My signature sucks.

My bad. As I said, we don't have VGC here, so I never payed a lot of attention to it. Thanks for correcting me.
    Last edited by wildbiscuit; 23rd November 2011 at 6:15 PM.
    I'm so broke, I can't even afford a cool signature.

VGCs don't ban anything (Except major legends like Lugia, Mew, and Deoxys). You can win if you just abuse broken ****. Plus like Blue Harvest said they don't have anything like Sleep Clause that keeps you from abusing broken mechanics.

Other than that I honestly don't see a point in this thread. There's already a VGC discussion thread, and a poll could be added if somebody wanted to make that happen.
    Just because something is broken in Singles doesn't mean it's broken in Doubles. Just look at Excadrill for example. He can set up SD and sweep with EQ and Rock Slide afterwards in Singles, but in Doubles, he is walled by Wide Guard users, he can't use EQ half of the time b/c he's always worried about his partner (which is almost always Tyranitar), and spread moves are weakened in doubles.

The only thing that I can acknowledge as possibly broken in doubles is Drizzle + Swift Swim, and they have to worry about Ferrothorns, Rotom-W, other weather, Grass types in general, Storm Drain Gastrodon, and Flying or Psychic types that take care of their 1 or 2 Fighting types. Did I forget to mention Trick Room as well, since it can actually get some good (better) usage in the doubles environment?

Thundurus/Tornadus? Rock Slide is very common.

Blaziken? It is nigh impossible to set up without something happening to ruin it, as I know that you know, my friend.

Hail Blizzard Spam also, surprisingly, becomes a more viable strategy since Blizzard hits both pokemon instead of just one. H***, we all can use our favorite weather again without worrying about it getting nerfed or claimed as too UBER for competitive play by some of the ban-happy people who work at Smogon since there's such a drastic difference in the usefulness of certain pokemon between Singles and Doubles.

P.S. If you're worried about the Sleep Clause, they banned Dark Void, so you don't have to worry about Smeargle ruining the fun anymore.

^You could've picked better examples. Not all forms of Deoxys are broken, and Mew is happy chilling in UU right now. Which is kind of my point.

Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

^You could've picked better examples. Not all forms of Deoxys are broken, and Mew is happy chilling in UU right now. Which is kind of my point.
    I was just saying there that all major legends like Lugia and events that can only be received through events like Arceus, Shaymin, and all forms of Deoxys are banned. Guys like Lati@s and Heatran are still Viable. I'm sure they have a link to the banlist in the VGC Thread.

Wait, how this turn into an argument, it's a discussion on if you're going to VGCs or not

I chase the dream, not the competition.

Nah i dont care for The VGc's, i prefer po
    Credit to Pika Pal Lyra

Wait, how this turn into an argument, it's a discussion on if you're going to VGCs or not
    I was just trying to explain to the guy below how things aren't as "Broken" as he would believe they are in VGC Doubles.

Nope, I suck in doubles and I don't live in the US.
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/73os9g.gif[/IMG]

Hey, the mods approved it, so I assume it must be a different topic. Also, this is more to get a bigger scope of who actually does go. The VGC Discussion thread is limited to the people who actually go, as opposed to this thread where you come in, say yes or no, and then you're golden.

Now, with VGC , there are a lot of combos that aren't as viable anymore that are broken online. Excadrill is a b**** to deal with in Singles, but in Doubles, you only need Wide Guard, or Protect and a Conkeldurr to get it. Trick Room, which is also more viable in Doubles, also ruins Pokemon like Kingdra and Excadrill.

Different strategies have to be employed. The Type Gems are rampant, Choice Items are looked down upon, Switching out is something you try to avoid. And you're only limited to four of your six Pokemon.

In other words, it's almost a completely different game. And like stated, there are bans. No Dark Void/Sky Drop, no major Legendaries (plus Phione and Manaphy), and that's it. It's actually quite refreshing not having to deal with the tiers and such.

Anyways, I feel for all you guys that live out of country and can't attend VGCs. Aren't there VGCs near where you all live at? And for those who do live in the States but still can't go, I feel for you even more. I'd be very upset if I was that close and I couldn't go.

Quote Originally Posted by abrar14 View Post
    Nah i dont care for The VGc's, i prefer po
    They have a VGC server on PO...

You sir have not played doubles enough. Exca is pretty much trash, blaziken is even more trash and the metagame is to fast to set up with swords dance and the such. Sleeping moves are rarely seen, and the only teams that use that are sun teams which are rarely seen, and the common amoonguss.

In double's every single pokenon usable is viable(of course not like quilava. Thats just stupid). I run a Lanturn team, and Im at the top of the US doubles gbu ladder.

To the question I am very active in doubles. I finished 5-1 this season tied for 2nd. I'll also be at nationals and even hawaii this year.
    Pokomanz achievements

-Vgc 10, and11: top32, and top16
    -Autumn friendly: 2003 rating(9thplace)
    -Vgc2012 RI 6th place(5-1)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast