View Poll Results: Do you care/are you active in the Pokemon VGCs?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am active in the Pokemon VGCs

    14 31.82%
  • Yes, I care about the VGC but I'm not really active.

    13 29.55%
  • No. I don't care, and I'm not active in VGC.

    12 27.27%
  • VGC what? Is that a soda?

    5 11.36%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 55

Thread: Pokemon VGCs; are you in?

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    2,308

    Default

    I don't do VCGs because getting to one is a hassle for me, which is a shame because it would be a great chance to show off my RNGs. Aw well, I'm self-conscious about playing pokemon in public anyway. I did do the AF and found it fun, finishing 180th, so I might be missing out on something I'd be good at, haha. It definitely has a different style from Standard Smogon Singles since I could whip bad teams in 4 or less turns.

    I have claimed Giratina

  2. #27
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    <
    Posts
    336

    Default

    I don't care and I don't like VGCs at all. I know how to play it, there was a VGC-style tourney in my town (unnoficial ofc, they gave like just a shiny pokemon as a prize lol) some years ago and I played in it. VGCs rules are dumb and boring imo, and I preffer to play Standard Doubles.
    Last edited by Farfan; 24th November 2011 at 3:58 AM.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    225

    Default

    I kinda like it but still I preffer Smogon standart Rules, Sleep Spammers, Luck Items, people relly on luck and it´s frustrating when you know you could have won but you lost because of luck (yes I´m aware crits happen but I don´t mean that I mean like if the opponent SPAMs Double Team for Example)
    My Friend Safari:
    3DS FC: 1564-3608-3734
    Please PM/VM me so I can add you I'm looking for lots of Friend Safaris

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cebu, Philippines
    Posts
    1,259

    Default

    i'm looking at the polls and it's actually kind of sad.

    I mean, seriously. It's a POKEMON CONVENTION. Held FOR FREE. How much better can it get than that? And like, half the people that come onto the thread click the "I don't like it" button.

    I'm serious, as a Pokemon fan, if I lived in the States, I'd be at every single Regional Tournament that was available to me, and if I could, I'd be at Nationals as well. I wouldn't let Pokemon take over my life, but I'm very into Pokemon. I do have a life, but I also have my Pokemon time. An annual Pokemon convention, come on. Why wouldn't a Pokemon fan go to this stuff? Or compete? I don't know, that's just me.

    Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14


    Guess who claimed Luxray?!

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    5 hours behind UTC
    Posts
    1,548

    Default

    ^ You can blame the over-commercialization of single battles for that. Out of all the battle types, I think singles is the most simplistic, so people go there because it's easier to make tiers and less people complain when they lose since Protect is way common in Doubles, but rare in Singles unless you're using a Stall team.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cebu, Philippines
    Posts
    1,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    ^ You can blame the over-commercialization of single battles for that. Out of all the battle types, I think singles is the most simplistic, so people go there because it's easier to make tiers and less people complain when they lose since Protect is way common in Doubles, but rare in Singles unless you're using a Stall team.
    Another testament to the laziness of some trainers. Better to blame hax, or cheap playing that to admit that the strategy is too complex I guess. Honestly, after playing Doubles, I find Singles a little too linear, and less exciting than Doubles, or Rotation. But again, to each his own.

    Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14


    Guess who claimed Luxray?!

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NACHOE! View Post
    i'm looking at the polls and it's actually kind of sad.

    I mean, seriously. It's a POKEMON CONVENTION. Held FOR FREE. How much better can it get than that? And like, half the people that come onto the thread click the "I don't like it" button.

    I'm serious, as a Pokemon fan, if I lived in the States, I'd be at every single Regional Tournament that was available to me, and if I could, I'd be at Nationals as well. I wouldn't let Pokemon take over my life, but I'm very into Pokemon. I do have a life, but I also have my Pokemon time. An annual Pokemon convention, come on. Why wouldn't a Pokemon fan go to this stuff? Or compete? I don't know, that's just me.
    Well some people just don't like the format. I've been to vgc's since vgc2010. The best part well for smogoneers, and SB'ers is meeting the many people you speak too online in real life. Then theres of course the competition. NACHOE if you ever are able to make a vgc you should. Its very fun for the most part, and has a very relaxed nature. I am a singles battler, but I find doubles more fun, and so many pokemon are viable.

    4 example in 2010 a japanese player went to worlds leadimg rotom-g, and lanturn. Mind you this was the year you were allowed 2 ubers. Rotom, and lanturn easily swept through kyogre,Palkia, groudon, and he secured himself a 5th place overall finish IN THE WORLD.
    Pokomanz achievements

    -Vgc 10, and11: top32, and top16
    -Autumn friendly: 2003 rating(9thplace)
    -Vgc2012 RI 6th place(5-1)

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster123 View Post
    Here is a tiering list done by DeagleBeagle on usable pokes for VGCs, and even more pokemon are used outside of these tier pokemon.
    Exactly. VGC only has ~20 Pokemon listed as highly viable. Standard singles has 50~. VGC is all the same standard stuff after round 3 or so.

    Quote Originally Posted by NACHOE! View Post
    I mean, seriously. It's a POKEMON CONVENTION. Held FOR FREE. How much better can it get than that? And like, half the people that come onto the thread click the "I don't like it" button.
    The US is a very big country, just because we live here doesn't mean we don't have to drive a few hundred miles to get to one.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Okay this thread seems to be turning into a argument, but to answer you blueharvest the answer is no. Those are the best usable, but by no means are those the only viable pokemon. If you's actually played vgc 2012 there are 10+ playstyles compared to singles what HyperOffense, Weather, Smashpass, non-weathef and Stall?(yea then theres weather stall, and other variations of the 5 but its the same crap as what its meant to do.) If you've played at a worlds level there are strategy many never seen before, and theres no "top team". At my regionals I've seen everything from Azumarill in rain to gastro acid Cradily on regigas giving you a offensive powerhouse. In doubles theres no threat of hazards so even charizard can use solar power to the fullest. I've played both metas and I've even got voting reqs in singles at a 1469 rating so I'm experienced in both metas.
    Pokomanz achievements

    -Vgc 10, and11: top32, and top16
    -Autumn friendly: 2003 rating(9thplace)
    -Vgc2012 RI 6th place(5-1)

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A place
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soulsurvivor View Post
    Okay this thread seems to be turning into a argument, but to answer you blueharvest the answer is no. Those are the best usable, but by no means are those the only viable pokemon. If you's actually played vgc 2012 there are 10+ playstyles compared to singles what HyperOffense, Weather, Smashpass, non-weathef and Stall?(yea then theres weather stall, and other variations of the 5 but its the same crap as what its meant to do.) If you've played at a worlds level there are strategy many never seen before, and theres no "top team". At my regionals I've seen everything from Azumarill in rain to gastro acid Cradily on regigas giving you a offensive powerhouse. In doubles theres no threat of hazards so even charizard can use solar power to the fullest. I've played both metas and I've even got voting reqs in singles at a 1469 rating so I'm experienced in both metas.
    All of this exists in OU as well. Although not as ofen, the diversity is truly insane.


    Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    5 hours behind UTC
    Posts
    1,548

    Default

    ^ In singles, there are only a few that dominate, but VGCs is neutral ground.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soulsurvivor View Post
    Okay this thread seems to be turning into a argument, but to answer you blueharvest the answer is no. Those are the best usable, but by no means are those the only viable pokemon. If you's actually played vgc 2012 there are 10+ playstyles compared to singles what HyperOffense, Weather, Smashpass, non-weathef and Stall?(yea then theres weather stall, and other variations of the 5 but its the same crap as what its meant to do.) If you've played at a worlds level there are strategy many never seen before, and theres no "top team". At my regionals I've seen everything from Azumarill in rain to gastro acid Cradily on regigas giving you a offensive powerhouse. In doubles theres no threat of hazards so even charizard can use solar power to the fullest. I've played both metas and I've even got voting reqs in singles at a 1469 rating so I'm experienced in both metas.
    Fair enough. I still find VGC really boring but I do like doubles. I played a fair amount of VGC too, though I definitely did not get to regionals. Maybe its different, I was at the 2010 one (where Kyogre / etc were legal). It was Kyogre / Abomasnow / Hitmontop on every team. After that with 5th gen only Pokemon it was probably a pool of 10 Pokemon on half the teams. I haven't played 2012 yet and I do like doubles so I'll have to try it again some time.

    But I disagree that you say VGC are more varied. Yeah you get a ton of idiots in singles running generic sand teams or Hyper Offense or whatever but I'm sure you get the same idiots copy / pasting standards and losing to better players in the first few rounds in VGC too.

    Saying all singles teams are the same is wrong. While yes, you can categorize most teams under a few archetypes doing so is stupid. Hyper Offense teams may have a similar idea but its possible for both to not run any of the same Pokemon. Rain / Sand / Sun teams are united by them using a weather starter (and some Rain teams that don't).. and non weather.. what is that even supposed to mean. Any team that lacks Ninetales / TTar / Politoed / Hippo / Aboma? Could be anything. Singles is as varied as you want it to be.. though admittedly most players just copy / paste standards.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    934

    Default

    I dont think ill join, i dont really like the rules; no sleep clause etc. And with garchomp as un-banned it would KO everybody in sandstorm
    image file size too large, removed - mod

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    5 hours behind UTC
    Posts
    1,548

    Default

    ^ Is the assumption that Garchomp is going to sweep in doubles coming from experience in doubles or just assumptions? Remember this quote whose source I can't remember
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same thing. In practice, they are not."
    Just because he's uber in singles doesn't mean he's uber in doubles.

    @Blue Harvest: Trying out the VGC Style is as simple as going to the Doubles RM on your Pokemon Black/White game, so you can try anytime.
    Last edited by PokeMaster366; 24th November 2011 at 8:22 PM.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A place
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    ^ Is the assumption that Garchomp is going to sweep in doubles coming from experience in doubles or just assumptions? Remember this quote whose source I can't remember
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same thing. In practice, they are not."
    Just because he's uber in singles doesn't mean he's uber in doubles.

    @Blue Harvest: Trying out the VGC Style is as simple as going to the Doubles RM on your Pokemon Black/White game, so you can try anytime.
    Or you could go to either Smogon's or SkarmBliss's VGC 12 ladder. I don't think I'll settle for anything less then perfect Pokemon anymore.


    Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    5 hours behind UTC
    Posts
    1,548

    Default

    ^ What about PO. I heard that has a VGC-like server

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I've competed in VGC two years running now; I'd actually like to echo what Blue Harvest has said; Every team is extrodinarily similar the higher up you go.

    Needless to say there aren't the eccentric few who play with an unusual team hell, even myself usually run some sortof fun team. 2010 had me Running a Serene Grace Abuse Team Utilising Roserade/Togekiss/Dunsparce/Dusknoir . It worked wonders - Although I got majorly out-played and beaten by one of these generic teams.

    I'll be compeitng next year, no doubt.

    {UK}
    #SPP-Wifi (%)
    #SPP(%)

  18. #43
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chillin' in my bathtub
    Posts
    166

    Default

    I have honestly never played VGC. It sounds fun though. I mostly train pokemon I like to use, not based on tiers and stuff. This could be fun.


    This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A place
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    ^ What about PO. I heard that has a VGC-like server
    Those are Pokemon Online servers. Smogon is Smogon and SkarmBliss is where a lot of the top VGC players go. If you're talking about the PO server, then they have literally like no good players.


    Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post

    Saying all singles teams are the same is wrong. While yes, you can categorize most teams under a few archetypes doing so is stupid. Hyper Offense teams may have a similar idea but its possible for both to not run any of the same Pokemon. Rain / Sand / Sun teams are united by them using a weather starter (and some Rain teams that don't).. and non weather.. what is that even supposed to mean. Any team that lacks Ninetales / TTar / Politoed / Hippo / Aboma? Could be anything. Singles is as varied as you want it to be.. though admittedly most players just copy / paste standards.
    Yep I know. No matter what meta you play there will always be lower players copying teams that work, and categorizing things into archtypes I believe is dumb but I'm just trying to put a easy example haha.

    It just seem this thread changed from do you like vgc to Wahaha you play singles, covert to doubles. Everyone has preferences and we should each respect that which is why threads like these are made. Not to criticise ones choice. I for one know both metas are very diverse.
    Pokomanz achievements

    -Vgc 10, and11: top32, and top16
    -Autumn friendly: 2003 rating(9thplace)
    -Vgc2012 RI 6th place(5-1)

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Simple. If I could go I would win. Double battles feel more natural than single battles (because I started really playing pokemon in hoenn(though played for fun R/B/Y days)). The only bad thing is the isolated locations and the lack of locations. Maybe if they had one in Michigan or somewhere nearby (not Indiana (except nationals)) and other states to spread it out more people would go/ care. Also team preview is a dull addition to play.

    Also people who go to VGCs don't always have honest intents for fun (why do you think they have a hack check?). People who go to VGCs play for a chance of a new version of competitiveness that isn't the same OU, Uber, or other miscelanious tier that I don't really care for.
    Last edited by Madden610; 26th November 2011 at 3:43 AM.
    Smogon Battler and Proud of it!

    If you tick me off get ready for a battle challenge.

  22. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggly View Post
    I've competed in VGC two years running now; I'd actually like to echo what Blue Harvest has said; Every team is extrodinarily similar the higher up you go.

    Needless to say there aren't the eccentric few who play with an unusual team hell, even myself usually run some sortof fun team. 2010 had me Running a Serene Grace Abuse Team Utilising Roserade/Togekiss/Dunsparce/Dusknoir . It worked wonders - Although I got majorly out-played and beaten by one of these generic teams.

    I'll be compeitng next year, no doubt.

    {UK}
    That's because the metagames in 2010 and 2011 were, in fact, grossly overcentralized. In 2010 most Pokemon, including and especially the ones in the team you just posted, would be bowled over by scarf Kyogre. In 2011 Terrakion 2HKOed almost every legal pokemon and could flinch the rest to death with Rock Slide.

    The metagames they had in 2008 and 2009 and the one they have in 2012 aren't really like that, so be careful when you judge the current metagame by what you've seen over the past two years.
    Last edited by sixonesix; 27th November 2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: actually idc do whatever you want

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sixonesix View Post
    That's because the metagames in 2010 and 2011 were, in fact, grossly overcentralized. In 2010 most Pokemon, including and especially the ones in the team you just posted, would be bowled over by scarf Kyogre. In 2011 Terrakion 2HKOed almost every legal pokemon and could flinch the rest to death with Rock Slide.

    The metagames they had in 2008 and 2009 and the one they have in 2012 aren't really like that, so be careful when you judge the current metagame by what you've seen over the past two years.
    Agreed

    Terrakion and maybe Thundurus/Tornadus essentially centralized 2011. The 2011/2012 torunements going on now have a more widespread team selection. Indianas for example (though I didn't attend but read about on Smogon) had a Sandstorm team that didn't realy on the usuals (maybe Ferrothorn but one with Power Whip offense). Many seem to think it's Tyranitar/Hippowdon Vs. Ninetails Vs. Abomasnow Vs. Politoed Vs. Etc (random teams from non-competitives and some few anti "metagame" teams)
    Smogon Battler and Proud of it!

    If you tick me off get ready for a battle challenge.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    5 hours behind UTC
    Posts
    1,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madden610 View Post
    Agreed

    Terrakion and maybe Thundurus/Tornadus essentially centralized 2011. The 2011/2012 torunements going on now have a more widespread team selection. Indianas for example (though I didn't attend but read about on Smogon) had a Sandstorm team that didn't realy on the usuals (maybe Ferrothorn but one with Power Whip offense). Many seem to think it's Tyranitar/Hippowdon Vs. Ninetails Vs. Abomasnow Vs. Politoed Vs. Etc (random teams from non-competitives and some few anti "metagame" teams)
    Don't forget that we've also been seeing a few good Tailwind and Trick Room teams. Anyone have Tornadus, Whimsicott, Murkrow, and bulky Psychics/Ghosts in general come to mind? There have also been a few good random teams out there that have made great use of Protect, Wide Guard, Fake Out, and anything else they've found. It's no wonder they made the rules the way they are for this year and the one in Spring. Not one type of team is overcentralized at all; not even Drizzletoed + Swift Swim LOrb Kingdra.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    Don't forget that we've also been seeing a few good Tailwind and Trick Room teams. Anyone have Tornadus, Whimsicott, Murkrow, and bulky Psychics/Ghosts in general come to mind? There have also been a few good random teams out there that have made great use of Protect, Wide Guard, Fake Out, and anything else they've found. It's no wonder they made the rules the way they are for this year and the one in Spring. Not one type of team is overcentralized at all; not even Drizzletoed + Swift Swim LOrb Kingdra.
    Wasn't Drizzletoad + Swift swim pokes = banned in competitive?
    any way I use Ampharos and because it's actually the bulkyest electric besides Zekrom or Thunderus and people don't really expect it





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •