Thread: Flygon?

Question Flygon?

Hi im new to the commpetive FORUM BUT NOT COMPETIVE BATTLING. And i was thinking of having flygon in there to counter hazzards with its large movepool so what do you think

Flygon does not make for a good hazard counter. Sure, it's immune to spikes, sandstorm, and toxic spikes but stealth rock and hail still hit it. Moreover, it doesn't get rapid spin so it can't exploit it's immunities to clear entry hazards out. In the right hands Flygon is pretty useful, but putting it on your team to counter hazards is a bad idea.
    BlackFC:3396 2920 1045
    DW Females:

Current project:
    Possible: 1/3
    Confirmed: 0/3

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Drass View Post
    Flygon does not make for a good hazard counter. Sure, it's immune to spikes, sandstorm, and toxic spikes but stealth rock and hail still hit it. Moreover, it doesn't get rapid spin so it can't exploit it's immunities to clear entry hazards out. In the right hands Flygon is pretty useful, but putting it on your team to counter hazards is a bad idea.
    Would Flygon do good in a Sandstorm team if so what moves?

it gets defog, so i guess you could use that if you're not using hazards of your own; seeing as how that move gets rid of hazards on both sides.
    But there are better options, plus flygon's meant to be more of an offensive pokemon, defensively it just doesn't cut it; move pool wise and stat wise.

Flygon's set look all like this:

Outrage/D-Claw
    Earthquake
    U-turn
    Filler

Followed by a choice scarf, choice band, life orb, yache/haban berry, or the rare focus sash

Other times there are special attacking sets; can be effective for a surprise factor, but they're even more rare

Followed by the same items above, altering choice band for choice specs...

They look somewhat like this:

D-Meteor/D-Pulse
    F-blast/F--thrower
    Hidden Power
    Filler

So if you want to use that filler for defog, go for it.
    Last edited by waffle_x_v; 23rd November 2011 at 1:22 PM.

Defog only gets rid of hazards on your opponents side.

Spoiler:- Clan:

Credit: Magikarprules for the banner, Devant User bar shop for the user bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Blue Dragon View Post
    Defog only gets rid of hazards on your opponents side.
    And why you would ever need that is beyond me...

Anyway, it really depends what you mean by 'countering hazards'. If you mean stopping them being a general nuisance to your team, then a rapid spinner is, without doubt, what you're looking for. But if you're just looking for something that isn't bothered about hazards if your spinner dies, then try this, it's the most effective flygon set, imo.

@ Choice Scarf
    Levitate
    Adamant
    Evs: 252 Att, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Moves:
    - U-turn
    - Dragon Claw/Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Punch/Thunder Punch/Stone Edge

Scout/Revenge killer flygon. U-turn is for scouting. Your two exellent STABs, EQ and Outrage/Dragon Claw (whichever's your preference on the latter) have great neutral coverage and will do a lot of damage. The last moveslot is really for whatever best suits your team's needs, for example, if you're having trouble with ferrothorn, go with fire punch.
    Hey Serebii, how you doing? Not sure how many of you guys from way back are out there, but just to let you know that I'm back, though I'm not sure how regularly I'll be on. Thanks for everything, and I hope I can continue to enjoy my time here!

3DS Friend Code: 2105 - 8928 - 6860

Looking for any breedable flawless Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Cut View Post

Anyway, it really depends what you mean by 'countering hazards'. If you mean stopping them being a general nuisance to your team, then a rapid spinner is, without doubt, what you're looking for. But if you're just looking for something that isn't bothered about hazards if your spinner dies, then try this, it's the most effective flygon set, imo.

@ Choice Scarf
    Levitate
    Adamant
    Moves:
    - U-turn
    - Dragon Claw/Outrage
    - Earthquake

Scout/Revenge killer flygon. U-turn is for scouting. Your two exellent STABs, EQ and Outrage/Dragon Claw (whichever's your preference on the latter) have great neutral coverage and will do a lot of damage. The last moveslot is really for whatever best suits your team's needs, for example, if you're having trouble with ferrothorn, go with fire punch.
    Yeah i meant not bothered by hazzards

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Cut View Post

@ Choice Scarf
    Levitate
    Adamant
    Moves:
    - U-turn
    - Dragon Claw/Outrage
    - Earthquake

That's virtually what i run on my flygon, only reversed to jolly with choice band.
    though if you're plannign to take out ferrothorn with it, you're better off going mixed with flamethrower over firepunch. no recoil from barbs that way
    BlackFC:3396 2920 1045
    DW Females:

Current project:
    Possible: 1/3
    Confirmed: 0/3

4th gen, people.

Anyway, ask in the simple questions thread next time please. => http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=542117
    Team Building Guide For Beginners!

Trade Thread - has free flawless dittos! (both english and japanese)

FC: 2365-5113-5595 (White)