Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Competitive play without stealth rock

^Good Thing I don't use dragonite.

Any good flying or fire type will increse in usage.
    Yep we should ban baton pass, and weather too. Oh and Trick Room, I'm tired of having to worry about Trick Room all the time. Just ban the move Trick Room, and prankster, it's broken. Ban all status moves on prankster users, they're too cheap. Oh and ban Probopass to it's so cheap. Just ban everything except Magikarp with splash.
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

Quote Originally Posted by irock245 View Post
    ^Good Thing I don't use dragonite.

Any good flying or fire type will increse in usage.
    I do

And yeah, I agree. Generally, anything with a weakness to SR will.
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/262s83s.gif[/IMG]
    Credit to Mew_

Rate my Team, DeoChi!

Stealth Rock is, IMO, one of the most important aspects in competitive play nowadays. Without it, hazards would be a gimmick, not really taken seriously. Stealth Rock has made some pokemon that used to be somewhat respectable (Charizard, Scyther, Ninjask even) comparatively useless, while making Rapid Spin (one of the worst moves in existance that would never be used if not for SR because it's not worth the effort for just Spikes) necessary on Rock-weak teams. Without SR, Donphan and Claydol would never see the light of day, and all of them would be shunted into NU. They would never be able to compete with the new UU hazard-layer, Forretress.

If Gamefreak wanted to balance this hazard metagame, they would provide a more common move to get rid of hazards. A move that moves hazards to the opponent's side, but only one at a time, seems fair to me, or they could make other rapid spin-equivalent moves that more common pokemon can learn.
    If you're creative, don't copy and paste this into your signature (Started by 3.14kachu).

^That's a good idea to make another rapid spin move. I think it should be an electric type move called Break Dance. Jk, it should be called Thunder Spin.

New Bible Verse of the Week: Zephaniah 2:3
    Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the Lord’s anger.

What does spinning have to do with removing hazards anyway? I feel like moves like Surf and Heat Wave clear the field much better than spinning would. Of course, giving those moves the power to remove hazards would break the hazards metagame.
    If you're creative, don't copy and paste this into your signature (Started by 3.14kachu).

Quote Originally Posted by 3.14kachu View Post
    What does spinning have to do with removing hazards anyway? I feel like moves like Surf and Heat Wave clear the field much better than spinning would. Of course, giving those moves the power to remove hazards would break the hazards metagame.
    Not just spinning, spinning rapidly. It blows them away.

Bronzong needs rapid spin...
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

How about this: what if Stealth Rock was removed but Spikes was able to harm airborne Pokémon?

Now for a song!
    ♪You spin me right round, baby, right round♪
    ♪Like a record baby, right round, downtown♪
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    How about this: what if Stealth Rock was removed but Spikes was able to harm airborne Pokémon?
    Kinda too late for GF to do something like that, however.

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    Kinda too late for GF to do something like that, however.
    I know but that wast the point of my post!
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Competitive battling without stealth rock is tantamount to a world without lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pichu47 View Post
    I think it should be an electric type move called Break Dance.
    ^This.

I always thought there should be a move called 'Michael Jackson's Thriller' which is a 80BP Ghost move with a chance of lowering your opponent's attack, but no-one agreed with me...

Ice Cold Fire

Bug/flying pokes would come in and rape. Shedinja would also see more play

Quote Originally Posted by coolminun View Post
    Bug/flying pokes would come in and rape.
    Removing SR doesn't change their awful typing.
    Shedinja would also see more play
    Mold Breaker, Sandstorm, Hail, Toxic Spikes, Poison, Burn, Iron Barbs, Leech Seed, Fire, Rock, Ghost, Dark...There is also more, but these we just the first things to pop up in my mind.

Not much more.
    I always thought there should be a move called 'Michael Jackson's Thriller' which is a 80BP Ghost move with a chance of lowering your opponent's attack, but no-one agreed with me...
    I already told you, they'd have to make one for the chansy dance first. Then I'd let them.

Well for starters:

-Stall will now be a laughing matter

-HyperOffense will be even moar pwrful. easy screen swap to d-nite. rack atleast 3 boost. GG

-Stealthrocks is needed because it puts things in check like volca, and players would have to think. It wouldn't be a switching fiesta. You have to really think like should I bring in landourous on the switch and take residual dmg+attack, or should I choose a better option. Because in this meta every bit of dmg counts even if your opponent uses Closecombat in this situation.

-Ice stealthrocks anyone. loll chomp will be less broken taking 50% on the switch and uhhh every pokemon weak to SR will be even less usable(salamence,Dragonite,yanmega). Yea not happening but that would be even moar deadly than rocks.
    Pokomanz achievements

-Vgc 10, and11: top32, and top16
    -Autumn friendly: 2003 rating(9thplace)
    -Vgc2012 RI 6th place(5-1)

Stall a laughing matter? Stall is about gradually wearing the opposing team down and keeping them in check. Stealth rock is only a small portion of residual damage.

Additionally stealth rock is not just an entry hazard used by stall teams to rack up residual damage. Stealth rock is offensive. It is found on pretty much every offensive team. Stealth rock's additional damage helps eliminate sturdy, eliminate focus sashes, and help turn 2KO's into 1KO's, and 3KO's into 2KO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Latias_ View Post
    Stall a laughing matter? Stall is about gradually wearing the opposing team down and keeping them in check. Stealth rock is only a small portion of residual damage.

Additionally stealth rock is not just an entry hazard used by stall teams to rack up residual damage. Stealth rock is offensive. It is found on pretty much every offensive team. Stealth rock's additional damage helps eliminate sturdy, eliminate focus sashes, and help turn 2KO's into 1KO's, and 3KO's into 2KO's.
    Agreed, stall uses mainly toxic or other statuses to do their work, except skarmory or some other phazer. Stealth rock is only a part of stall.
    Sig under construction
    White FC: 5286 4282 7903
    Quote Originally Posted by ?????? View Post
    I am in about 3.5 relationships right now.

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurvivor View Post
    Well for starters:

I'm not the best stall player in the world, but I've found that Spikes tends to be more useful for racking up damage for stall teams. There's also Toxic Spikes. Stall teams will miss it, but it's not that big of a loss.

-HyperOffense will be even moar pwrful. easy screen swap to d-nite. rack atleast 3 boost. GG
    Offensive teams often rely on Stealth Rock more than stall teams, since plenty of sweepers rely on that extra damage to allow them to OHKO or 2HKO possible counters or checks.

Without any entry hazards at all, it becomes alot harder for sweepers to sweep.
    Names ANTHEM White FC IS 4298-5945-5261

http://teampokecity.forumotion.com/

This makes me wonder if you know what stall even is....
    If it was that easy, Dragonite would be banned. We have Ubers for a reason.
    -Stealthrocks is needed because it puts things in check like volca, and players would have to think. It wouldn't be a switching fiesta. You have to really think like should I bring in landourous on the switch and take residual dmg+attack, or should I choose a better option. Because in this meta every bit of dmg counts even if your opponent uses Closecombat in this situation.
    When there is a lot of swapping out, there is a lot of thinking to. If you swap scarf Terrakion into a Volcarona as it's quiver dancing, how are you sure they won't swap out to Ferrothorn, who resist stone edge? Of course, you could use Close Combat, but that would turn you into set up bait.

It gos the other way as well. I've had multiple people make their scarf rotoms Hydro Pump my Gliscor on the swap out.

Phazing and stall would suffer from the lack of entry hazards, including stealth rocks.
    Names ANTHEM White FC IS 4298-5945-5261

http://teampokecity.forumotion.com/

Spikes hitting levitators wouldn't make sense.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurvivor View Post
    Well for starters:

-Ice stealthrocks anyone. loll chomp will be less broken taking 50% on the switch and uhhh every pokemon weak to SR will be even less usable(salamence,Dragonite,yanmega). Yea not happening but that would be even moar deadly than rocks.
    +1 on Hyper offence actually being worse without stealth rock. Also yanmega takes a bigger hit from rock than ice. Gliscor is the one that would get royally screwed over by icerocks.

Oh, I forgot to say this. After you're dual screener sets up, how will you get D-nite an without taking any damage? From my knowledge, it's not easy to get SR up on Deoxys, and impossible on most Espeon.

Sorry I just made a quick reply. wasn't thinking through any of it. It was a 2 second post.Heres a more "educated" opinion

-K hyperoffense doesn't need rocks. I know this because im sitting at #13 on smogons ladder using HO, and the top 10 in various other rounds.

-Im sorry for my stall comment. It was pretty stupid coming from someone who really isn't experienced in stall.

-Flying pokemon will see a buff in usage for the 1st 2 weeks atleast so people can get a grasp of new things that works

-Dragonite will most likely be banned, but this won't slow HO by much.

-Deo which is currently in a tiering discussion will only be useful as a screener which can be easily stalled out

-I can see a rise in fire pokemon like chandy and darma to go back in OU. Staraptor might be even more dangerous and viable. I don't think rocks will be too big of a impact. Charizard won't ever be in OU imo even with solar power. There are just too many better pokemon

-If d-nite goes its guaranteed you'll see a rise in DDmence. Something that hasn't seen its sunshine since ubers of 4th gen

-Theres a bunch of other stuff too but SR will never be banned. I personally don't use it much but when vsing competent users of it it always comes down to conservation which I like.
    Pokomanz achievements

-Vgc 10, and11: top32, and top16
    -Autumn friendly: 2003 rating(9thplace)
    -Vgc2012 RI 6th place(5-1)

I have yet to use stelth rock actually i have never used it
    Latest Shiny!

Chain fish in Cyllage City in Pokemon X!

3DS FC: 4682 - 8902 - 8849
    PM me if you decide to add me. Psychic Friend Safari with Xatu, Munna and Espurr.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast