Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gengar discussion thread

Default Gengar discussion thread

60/65/60/130/75/110

Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Energy Ball, Giga Drain, Hypnosis, Psychic, Thunderbolt, Trick, Substitute, Disable, Destiny Bond, Hidden Power, Thunder (if on a Rain team, for some reason), Protect, Pain Split, Sludge Bomb, Focus Punch, Explosion (?)

Gengar has 18 very viable moves, showing his unpredictability.

Levitate: A really good ability, it lets you switch into Earthquakes for free, giving him yet another immunity. Double, if he didn't have it, he would have a Ground weakness.

A gen. 1 favorite of mine, this ghost is possibly one of the best pokemon in the current BW Metagame. He can easily force out pokemon that usually only carry one attacking move that can touch him, like Jirachi. He can Sub on an Iron Head, Disable it, set up another Sub, and basically get a free turn to do anything he wants. He can even pull off a decent mono-attacking set of Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Hidden Power Ice/Fire, and Thunderbolt, or maybe even a Sub + 3 Attacks set. Or maybe even a Scarf set to catch pokemon like Deoxys-S off guard and cripple walls with Trick. He can even run a SubSplit set to lure out and beat the pink blobs.

Here are some amazing sets for Gengar, all exportable:

SubDisable

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Substitute
    - Disable

SubSplit

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Substitute
    - Pain Split

Special sweeper

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Thunderbolt

HP Ice could be used if you want to hit pokemon like Salamence harder.
    Choice

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
    Modest/Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Trick
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Sub + 3 attacks

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Substitute
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

MysticGar

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Substitute
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Protect could be used to scout what Scizor is going to do.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

What about Sub Pain Split, one of his best sets? Its worthy of more than just a passing mention since it plays completely different.

I like gengar, the various ways he can be used makes him pretty hard to predict

Credit to the amazing Lunar <3 and EG and BH :3

Sub + Disable is an awesome set. You can devastate opponents with it. I have had personal experience using it, and it's fantastic.

Mention Sub Gengar with HP Fire, or Mystic Gar. Those are both really good right now. The common misconception is that Scizor fixes a Gengar weak, and HP Fire lure Gengar takes advantage of that.

Taken directly from the smogon analysis. It still works great in gen 5.

Spoiler:

Why no specs Gar, he has 110 base speed, why not use specs to hurt ****

EDIT- and replace black sludge with Leftovers, if you get tricked, your opponent now has something to hurt your team with

I chase the dream, not the competition.

I think Gengar and Starmie are the only two pokemon to be OU for 5 generations in a row.

And it shows, his prowess is the diversity in attacks and setups you can make, and he can pretty much fill any role on a team.
    The Journey (Rated R)

A pokemon adventure that will take you on a journey through the lives of budding trainers.

3DS friend code: 2981-6128-1202

Local Vivillon: Polar Pattern. If you want one I shall send it.

Now I look at gengar stats... espeon have the same offense stats while having better defensive stats and ability and they share pretty much the same weaknesses so why isn't espeon used offensively?
    why is gengar better than espeon? ghost type? levitate?

what about clear smog? it is like an offensive haze pretty useful with subtitute . and have 75 base power (after stab) seems useful in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    Now I look at gengar stats... espeon have the same offense stats while having better defensive stats and ability and they share pretty much the same weaknesses so why isn't espeon used offensively?
    why is gengar better than espeon? ghost type? levitate?
    It has better typing. Sure, pretty much the same weaknesses, but it also resist more, and has two immunities. With levitate, that's three immunities. It is also capable of Sub/Pain Split and Sub/Disable, and it can pull off the second only because of it's typing.

Prett much nothing Shadow Ball/Focus Blast, while espeon has to rely on HP fighting for coverage, and that's walled by other psychics.

Look at these sets, and give me one of them Espeon can pull off. It doesn't have the movepool for a choice item or Sub+three attacks, before you argue with that. It also gets trick only as a gen 4 move, so it can't keep that with magic bounce.

Espeon and Gengar are completely different. Espeon is usually Dual Screen support or a calm mind booster, while Gengar is offensive.
    what about clear smog? it is like an offensive haze pretty useful with subtitute . and have 75 base power (after stab) seems useful in my opinion.
    I'd hardly call 75 power offensive. Also, if an enemy is trying to set up on it while it's behind a sub, it's going to be taken out by it's attacks anyway, or is a complete counter to Gengar anyway.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

I noticed none of these sets have Will o Wisp, Toxic, or Thunder Wave...how come? I thought a Sub, Disable, statues messing move, hex would work. No I haven;'t tried it yet...I'm still experimenting with pairings...
    You see I am simply one hell of a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by lovetheangelshadow View Post
    I noticed none of these sets have Will o Wisp, Toxic, or Thunder Wave...how come? I thought a Sub, Disable, statues messing move, hex would work. No I haven;'t tried it yet...I'm still experimenting with pairings...
    It's too frail to be a status spreader. It can't stall with Toxic, nor can it take advantage of Will-o-Wisp lowering attack or T-wave lowering speed.

You're completely missing out on that base 130 Special Attack. Besides, Gengar has horrible defenses and can't reasonably expect a Sub to survive more than one turn. Also you risk getting walled by Normals (and probably some Steels too) with only Hex.

You're not going to survive a lot of hits. Just go for max destruction with your above average movepool and great speed and SA. Don't try to be fancy with spending moves and moveslots with statuses, just go f**k s#!t up.

I have claimed Giratina

That's like running Swords Dance on Skarmory. WoW could be nice for screwing Scizor / Tyranitar / Jirachi switch ins but they will still probably kill you so you might as well just attack them.

wow on gar would be good at weaken counters for other special attacker like burn scizor and jirachi now they dont stop reuniclus.if rather attack those mon remember hp fire wont beat jirachi or do much,really and some people chople berry on ttar wont lose to focus blast good at help.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    That's like running Swords Dance on Skarmory.
    Hey, stop making fun of the YouTubers BH, one day they may come and get you

If you want a Will-O-Wisper, use a bulky Ghost like Jellicent, Spiritomb, or Dusclops.

I have claimed Giratina

you don't understand wow gar lure out counters because nobody will expect wow on gar so it share counters with something then the other mon sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by jacques View Post
    you don't understand wow gar lure out counters because nobody will expect wow on gar so it share counters with something then the other mon sweep.
    HP fire hits Scizor on the switch, at the very least. It's better off doing damage then spreading status.
    Hey, stop making fun of the YouTubers BH, one day they may come and get you
    While I agree with Blue Harvest on this one, I still find this post amusing.
    That's like running Swords Dance on Skarmory.
    I swept a couple teams with Agility/Swords Dance/Roost/Brave Bird in gen four. It was fun.

Outclassed by just about every swords or dragon dancer out there, but still fun. I used to be one of those people who refused to go with the crowd whenever I could...I still am in a way, but not to the extremes.

It's better off doing damage then spreading status.
    it still do damage just cripples counters as well

OK, so I'm either playing SubSplit Gengar wrong, or something like that. I've tried it, I end up Subbing a few times, and die after I Split.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Use Modest if you're using Scarf

Scarf Latios outspeeds, and kills w/ Psychic, max spd to make sure he isn't outspeed by other scarers

Okay okay I get it. No need to bite my head off. I am simply one hell of a Nobody.
    But I still think Black Sludge is better than Leftovers for Gengar. Because if ya trick BS it hurts other Pokemon
    You see I am simply one hell of a Nobody

^ and then it tricks that to another pokemon, and that gets screwed over, leftys is safer

It doesn't matter. Who the heck would use trick on a Gengar anyway?

Even if they did, Black Sludge means you have a chance of getting it back. When they try to use trick on your other pokemon, you can swap Gengar in.

Trick screws over the SubSplit and SubDisable sets, as these are the most common in OU atm

And what makes you think you can just use it like that, if they opponent is smart, they switch out and wait for the perfect time to trick before using it. This, and if they kill of gengar, something is getting sludge, at least leftys doesn't run that chance.

and my last 2 cents before i go away from this tread (already posted in here to much lol)

T-Bolt on the Choice Sets, its like Choice Latios, 4 attacks, that and T-Bolt hits Gyarados, screws over Skarm even in Rain, and hits water types like Politoed harder than Shadow Ball

If you want, at least slash it next to trick, but i don't see why you would need it

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast