Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gengar discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster123 View Post
    Trick screws over the SubSplit and SubDisable sets, as these are the most common in OU atm
    Sort of, but shadow ball and focus blast are all it really needs. I can't think of a choice bander that uses trick, so it will either end up with Specs or Scarf, both of which it can use.

Also, you can't use trick on something behind a sub, iirc. If you swap in a choice user, it would probably get a free one.

And what makes you think you can just use it like that, if they opponent is smart, they switch out and wait for the perfect time to trick before using it. This, and if they kill of gengar, something is getting sludge, at least leftys doesn't run that chance.
    Not if they're smart, if they over complicate things.
    Use Modest if you're using Scarf
    Actually, timid would also work well. Let's say you're fighting a Jolly Gyarados at +1. Modest will be KOed, while timid will thunderbolt and KO. There are other, such as +1 Haxorus, Salamence, weakened D-nite, and of course, other scarfers.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Well it doesn't help I need Leftovers for someone else...and ya can't have more than one of the same item in BS or VGC...
    BTW am I crazy for sayling I like the design of Haunter better than Gengar only Haunty don't benefit from Evolite
    You see I am simply one hell of a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Sort of, but shadow ball and focus blast are all it really needs. I can't think of a choice bander that uses trick, so it will either end up with Specs or Scarf, both of which it can use.

Also, you can't use trick on something behind a sub, iirc. If you swap in a choice user, it would probably get a free one.
    Rotom outspeeds and tricks, it gets up the sub, volt switch, your point

and the point of the sub sets is to be a spin blocker, who also works in stall thanks to dialing moves, causing switches, or pain splitting, causing damage to the other pokemon. That, and Shadow Ball and Focus Blast do get good coverage, however, if tricked pokes like Volcarona and Gyarados have an easy time setting up

Not if they're smart, if they over complicate things.
    Already established that

Actually, timid would also work well. Let's say you're fighting a Jolly Gyarados at +1. Modest will be KOed, while timid will thunderbolt and KO. There are other, such as +1 Haxorus, Salamence, weakened D-nite, and of course, other scarfers.
    It's bolded because it's from the OP (look if you don't believe me)

Quote Originally Posted by lovetheangelshadow View Post
    Well it doesn't help I need Leftovers for someone else...and ya can't have more than one of the same item in BS or VGC...
    in OU, there is no item clause, and since i play VGC, only item i would use on a Gengar is a Gem to boost one of its attacks or a Focus Sash

P.S- these sets are for BW OU

I chase the dream, not the competition.

Black Sludge is usually fine. By using Black Sludge you willingly accept the risk that you could get double Tricked, but find it a worthwhile risk to utterly screw the Tricker as well.

Not that there are any Trick using Pokemon Gengar can safely switch in on.

Gengars are creepy and sneaky. but they remind me more of Goblins or something, and not a ghost-type

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Black Sludge is usually fine. By using Black Sludge you willingly accept the risk that you could get double Tricked, but find it a worthwhile risk to utterly screw the Tricker as well.

Not that there are any Trick using Pokemon Gengar can safely switch in on.
    Also most trickers are scarf/specs users as mentioned gengar then can KO them and keep the scarf/specs which isn't that bad actually if it is a crazy pokemon you hae never seen that is physical and have trick then you are... also fine to some extend..

Black sludge isn't that bad people are just afraid of being double tricked, you can then switch to gliscor(you get the enemy poisoned ),reuniculus (then he lose the leaftovers/life orb sadly),breelom,something else with magic guard/hindering item or just other poison type...

Hey, stop making fun of the YouTubers BH, one day they may come and get you
    Pro tip, most youtubers suck really bad. The best youtubers also usually aren't nearly as good as the best players on smogon. They are entertainers rather than battlers in my opinion.

I am sure you know this, but just making sure. XD

and the point of the sub sets is to be a spin blocker, who also works in stall thanks to dialing moves, causing switches, or pain splitting, causing damage to the other pokemon. That, and Shadow Ball and Focus Blast do get good coverage, however, if tricked pokes like Volcarona and Gyarados have an easy time setting up
    this for the 1st point

and thats what you plan on doing when you make a team, use breloom, reuinclus, or other poison heal/magic guard poke to make sure you don't get double tricked

Pro tip, most youtubers suck really bad. The best youtubers also usually aren't nearly as good as the best players on smogon. They are entertainers rather than battlers in my opinion.

I am sure you know this, but just making sure. XD
    If the internet had a sarcasm radar, i know GF, don't need to tell me this lol

Gengar is an excellent Pokemon. He can run a multitude of different sets, allowing him unpredictability. Here's a gimmick set I use sometimes:

Gengar @ Life Orb
    Levitate
    72 Atk/184 SAtk/252 Spd
    Naive
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Fire]/Hypnosis

The SubPunch set from Gen. 4 still works well now. Substitute and Focus Punch lure in and defeat Blissey effectively. Shadow Ball hits Ghosts and Psychics, while HP Fire hits Scizor, but Hypnosis can potentially cripple something.

Use Expert Belt > LO, makes it last longer

100 Atk / 156 SpA / 252 Spe- these EVs guarantee a 2HKO with Focus Punch

McGar is pretty good. I usually liked Explosion Gengar in Gen 4, but it doesn't work in gen 5 anymore.

aww, why did they had to nerf it, i see so much things in OU that we could just explode on

Does anyone run Psychic on their Gengars as a Fighting counter or am I just crazy?

I have claimed Giratina

I've been using SubDisable set for quite a while it's the best set in my opinion.
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/73os9g.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    Does anyone run Psychic on their Gengars as a Fighting counter or am I just crazy?
    Shadow Ball hits most fighting hard, while Focus Blast hits Scarfty and Lucario, running Psychic just to hit one type is kinda redundant imo

If a Scarfer Tricks Gengar, it's going to be locked into Sub most likely.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    If a Scarfer Tricks Gengar, it's going to be locked into Sub most likely.
    Then it would swap out, and back in later to use the scarf.

^ and then the opponent if he's smart will predict the incoming switch, seeing as you're locked into sub, and either KO the switch or at least 2HKO it

^ and then the opponent if he's smart will predict the incoming switch, seeing as you're locked into sub, and either KO the switch or at least 2HKO it
    That's why you swap in something that can take a hit, if you're smart.

If you fight smart players, we're assuming you are a smart player.

have you ever played on the smogon ladder before, and if the player is smart enough to predict that, double switch, that or in rotom-W's case, volt switch so the opponent still had the upper hand

and the opponent can still trick the black sludge later on

have you ever played on the smogon ladder before, and if the player is smart enough to predict that, double switch, that or in rotom-W's case, volt switch so the opponent still had the upper hand

and the opponent can still trick the black sludge later on
    I only ever play on smogon's ladder.

As I said, if we are assuming your enemy is skilled, we are assuming you are to. You should also be able to predict this, if they are so good at predicting you. Double Switching can also result in giving your enemy a free attack, it's kind of risky, unless you are using rotom, as brought up.

No one ever said you had to send out Gengar right away anyway.

Now, as I said, who the heck would try to use trick on a gengar? Sure, you can lock it in a sub, but it'll still benefit from a choice item.

if its the sub sets, it looses it's goal, trying to disable an attack to force a switch, while yes, it can still benefit, having it lose it's overall goal is hurtful

Gengar's pretty scared of the most common Trick users, anyway.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

true, but they are the idiots........

Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    Gengar's pretty scared of the most common Trick users, anyway.
    This is also part of it. Jirachi beats it to a pulp with Iron Head. Rotom wash OHKOs, iirc. Alakazam and the latis have super effective STAB, along with enemy Gengar.

Now, what else is there?
    true, but they are the idiots........
    Who are idiots?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast