Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: legendary's

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightphoenix View Post
    how can you lump keldeo and meloetta in there when they havent been released yet anyware in the world? any way many legendaries just dont have what it takes to be truly legendary, the only things that make them "legendary" are 1) they are one of a kind in the game and have a low catch rate. 2) they normaly have slightly higher base stats. 3)or they are required to gain either access to a certain area of the game or to obtain a certain pokemon Examples:Regirock,Registeel,Regice to get Regigigas and now Verzion,Terakion, and Cobalion to get Keldeo once it has been released.
    1.) They're allowed in DW Tiers and they aren't so good (I'll admit Keldeo is excellent in rain but I don't see it often even on rain teams)
    2.) They are only legendary if GameFreak calls them legendary.
    3.) The thread isn't discussing what makes a Pokémon legendary

I find Suicune to be annoying in Random Wifi, the Dragons don't faze me because i have a Hidden Power Ice Infernape.

There are several broken legendaries, and broken Pokemon are sent to the Uber tier. In OU, legendaries are rather balanced with regular Pokemon. Jirachi may be irritating, but Togekiss has those capabilities coming off of a 120 base Special Attack. 100 stats across the board doesn't cut it anymore, you need to have movepool. Several lesser legendaries don't have the moves to be broken, and they don't necessarily have the typing.

To me it's "Oh, look. I need X. I'll use X!"

I don't really care if it's legendary or not. I don't see why people make such a big fuss about legendaries.

And Jirachi HAS movepool. Trick, T-Wave, Body Slam, Iron Head, CM, elemental punches, Water Pulse, Energy Ball, Psychic, Psyshock, Thunder doesn't cut it?

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Archer View Post
    Doesn't a Regirock in sand storm have super high def and sp.def to make great wall.
    it has 80/200/100 defenses, and with sand in play, a 50% boost to it's SpD.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteknight View Post
    Regi rock has common weaknesses to fighting, ground,steel and grass with low hp and speed to boot
    also with the many different weather starters it is not staying around for long
    Base 80 HP isn't all that low, and after a Curse or two, its weaknesses to Fighting, Ground, and Steel are all solved. The Sand boost takes care of it's SpD, not to mention the fact that almost all Regirock run SpD. Regirocks main problem is the lack of reliable recovery.

^Actually, I've only had problems with regirock once, and it was late game, where I only had like two pokemon, and one was asleep or something...

If you poison or burn it, it's pretty much doomed.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    ^Actually, I've only had problems with regirock once, and it was late game, where I only had like two pokemon, and one was asleep or something...

If you poison or it, it's pretty much doomed.
    Doesn't it do chestorest? I would have thought for a defensive behemoth like that with no form of recovery - chestorest would be the main set. Perhaps I'm wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Barbeller View Post
    Doesn't it do chestorest? I would have thought for a defensive behemoth like that with no form of recovery - chestorest would be the main set. Perhaps I'm wrong...
    Really?

Anyway, another problem with regirock is that it relies too much on the sandstorm. If you lose the weather war to a sun or rain team, it's done for. Anyway, I'll admit it's underrated, but it's just not OU material.

Edit: The standard is actually resttalk, looking at smogon...but that makes it walled by anything who resist rock.

I mostly just have them around on my team for appearances....mainly depending on theme of my team and by theme its the nicnaming process I use for each team. The only two I used reguarly was Dialga (but he is rarely ever used) and Terrakion (mostly for revenge kill-I got lucky that he got fairly good IVs and a good nature for this attacks)
    You see I am simply one hell of a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by lovetheangelshadow View Post
    I mostly just have them around on my team for appearances....mainly depending on theme of my team and by theme its the nicnaming process I use for each team. The only two I used reguarly was Dialga (but he is rarely ever used) and Terrakion (mostly for revenge kill-I got lucky that he got fairly good IVs and a good nature for this attacks)
    This isn't the place for ingame discussion. Dialga's banned.

I have a interesting question:
    Would you use legendaries in Ubers?:
    I mean I've seen teams carrying maybe just one legendary like ferrothorn, mamoswine, kyogre, staraptor, jolteon(lol) and lucario,didnt do much but enough.
    "Everything will be all right in the end.
    If it's not all right, then it's not the end."

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
    I have a interesting question:
    Would you use legendaries in Ubers?:
    I mean I've seen teams carrying maybe just one legendary like ferrothorn, mamoswine, kyogre, staraptor, jolteon(lol) and lucario,didnt do much but enough.
    OK, first of all, it's clear you don't know what a legendary pokemon is. This is the list of legendary pokemon.

Hopefully someone else can ninja me for the rest.

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    OK, first of all, it's clear you don't know what a legendary pokemon is. This is the list of legendary pokemon.

Hopefully someone else can ninja me for the rest.
    He was listing the whole team, with Kyogre being the only legendary on the team. Though that post confused me at first, too.

Anyway... @TheMaster: Yes, every successful team in Ubers has multiple legendaries on it. There's pretty much no chance of success if you don't have a few legendaries on your team, because of all the extremely powerful Pokemon in Ubers.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Ah, my bad. Forgive me TheMaster. Most likely a lot of those teams are made by people with little understanding of tiers. They want to use Kyogre but are not aware that now they have to fight ubers. In Ubers, you pretty much have to fight fire with fire, since by definition it's home to the overpowered. I'm not saying that you can't win in Ubers without using ubers/legendaries, but it does put the odds in your favor.

I have claimed Giratina

Ah, my bad. Forgive me TheMaster.
    Aren't I funny?
    Most likely a lot of those teams are made by people with little understanding of tiers. They want to use Kyogre but are not aware that now they have to fight ubers.
    Yeah, I've fought lots of those teams, but the Uber tends to be a pokemon like Garchomp, Excadrill, or Blaziken(I fight on smogon).

If you don't use legendaries because they are legendaries but they still fit the tier then you are losing lot's of power

for example latios vs alakazam... alakazam is useless just like that useless dies of everything latios is so much better...

Yeah my ubers team has only 1 non-uber but I mean I;ve seen succesful teams like that :3.
    The best ubers are Kyogre and mewtwo!!! <33
    "Everything will be all right in the end.
    If it's not all right, then it's not the end."

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
    Yeah my ubers team has only 1 non-uber but I mean I;ve seen succesful teams like that :3.
    The best ubers are Kyogre and mewtwo!!! <33
    On the contrary, if someone allowed me to use one uber I'd pick Giratina-A :P

I have claimed Giratina

Giratina is my favorite Uber. Kyogre seems to be very popular, tough. And mons like Blissey and Ferro are good in Ubers

You're right, but I ignored DW abilities while making that since they don't exist yet and I don't want to judge something that fast (not to mention half of them either don't get something new or get something silly like Unnerve or Telepathy).
    Sturdy's kinda cool on Regirock, though. Though yeah, most of the made to look scary legends get Unnerve or something, and most of the godlike legendaries like the creation trio get Telepathy.

Originally Posted by Nixhex from Smogon
    Instead of being biased against legendaries, you should realize that Nintendo's (or really, whatever strategy guide you're reading) arbitrary definition of legendary has little to do with competitive Pokemon. Nobody cares if you can make a team that survives without "legendaries" because many non-"legendaries" are just as viable. Would you not use Scizor or Gyarados if for whatever the reason, suddenly became legendaries? Instead, try getting over your bias and try your hand at Jirachi, Celebi, Landorus, Heatran etc. and who knows, maybe they'll work for you!
    Basically sums up my attitude toward legendary Pokemon in competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Using UU/RU Pokemon in ways that doesn't actually take advantage of some REAL niche in OU is like letting a horse poop on your chest; then when people ask why you let it do that you defend yourself by saying "well now I have all this horse poop", ignoring everyone who tries to reason with you that this isn't really a good thing either.
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Best. Analogy. Ever.

Legendary doesn't mean stronger, it means that Nintendo attempted to make them stronger. Since they don't keep up with the competitive metagame, it often doesn't work. Azelf was supposed to be a deadly offensive threat, 125 base attack/special attack, and 115 speed. People ended up using Starmie instead though, for it had the "boltbeam" coverage, and water typing, which was better both defensively and offensively. It had a powerful STAB move in hydro pump as well.

Even though Azelf is a legendary with higher stats, it's actually outclasses as what it was meant for.

I'm not sure if you guys realize this, but you have to realize Game Freak does not give half a sh!t about the competitive ability of the pokemon they make. That's why Garchomp exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    What was that Regarde. I couldn't hear you with all of that dick in your mouth.

^Greatest Cosplay Evar^

Quote Originally Posted by R4GEKILL!!! View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys realize this, but you have to realize Game Freak does not give half a sh!t about the competitive ability of the pokemon they make. That's why Garchomp exists.
    I realize it. As I said before, they don't keep up with the competitive metagame. They just give legendaries higher BSTs, and assume that'll make them stronger.

They try not to make pokemon overpowered, unless it's a major legendary like Mewtwo, but they even failed at that with Kyurem.

I bet they intentionally made Kyurem like it is to mess with Smogon. They made this 660 BST Pokemon with good bulk and great offenses, as well as one of the best STABs in the game, and then threw Ice typing onto it. I bet they did that and said, "Let's see how Smogon deals with that one."

Just a theory.

Disclaimer: I know Game Freak probably has little to no knowledge of Smogon at all. It's a joke

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast