Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #48

Ok, you can do that, good luck getting 2 SS in w/ Common Weaknesses to Rock, Ground, and Water, and again, pokemon 90 base speed or higher come in on the first SS, then just OHKO w/ STAB moves (if in fact they have STAB moves, Simipour e.t.c)

get a +4 and it is a gg so stop assuming it don't work just because the +2 don't work just like jirachi or scizor to sweep you need +4.
    Ok, mixed w/ 85 base attacks got me wtfing, but using Torkoal in OU is even worse, rain every where, things like Lando, Deoxys-S, Terrakion Starmie, Latios, Latias, Espeon, Gengar, Hydregion, Rotom-W, Gastro, Blissey(no physical STAB, so stfu about mixed breaking it) Heatran, Vappy, Jellicent, Politoed that can outspeed it at +2 and OHKO, some after Rocks, which makes you lose 25% as you come in or just wall it in general.

But again, w/e u wanna do, if you beat someone w/ Torkoal in OU, good for you, send me the battle replay so i can watch, because its bad in OU
    Last edited by TrollFreak; 28th November 2011 at 11:13 PM.

I chase the dream, not the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster123 View Post
    Ok, you can do that, good luck getting 2 SS in w/ Common Weaknesses to Rock, Ground, and Water, and again, pokemon 90 base speed or higher come in on the first SS, then just OHKO w/ STAB moves (if in fact they have STAB moves, Simipour e.t.c)

Ok, mixed w/ 85 base attacks got me wtfing, but using Torkoal in OU is even worse, rain every where, things like Lando, Deoxys-S, Terrakion Starmie, Latios, Latias, Espeon, Gengar, Hydregion, Rotom-W, Gastro, Blissey(no physical STAB, so stfu about mixed breaking it) Heatran, Vappy, Jellicent, Politoed that can outspeed it at +2 and OHKO, some after Rocks, which makes you lose 25% as you come in or just wall it in general.

But again, w/e u wanna do, if you beat someone w/ Torkoal in OU, good for you, send me the battle replay so i can watch, because its bad in OU
    it is base 85*3.... equal to base 255 (I think it do work like that)

the POTW is focused on OU so... that's what you have... beat counters get somehow 2 SS and finish the game that's why SS is viable you totally ignore the posibility of 2 SS, you get lucky and survive you win..you can always support it with screens.

You know how many times I got volcarona to +2? (really in OU just use volcarona..) it have the same story more or less screens solve this problem (except rocks.. those always kill volcarona).
    Last edited by Ilan; 28th November 2011 at 11:23 PM.

no, the POTW is focused on the pokemon, half the pokemon they did (stunfisk in OU, really) are UU and lower, since serebii cant pick OU mons since this is what 99% of the websites plays

and still nerfed by rain, screen doesn't help w/ that, but again, if you beat someone w/ it in OU, send me the replay

You know how many times I got volcarona to +2? (really in OU just use volcarona..) it have the same story more or less screens solve this problem (except rocks.. those always kill volcarona).
    1- Dont compare one of OU tops sweepers w/ a Fire Turtle thing
    2- Quiver Dance gets a special defense boost, which makes it harder to take down, where as Torkoal is still outspeed by base 90s and above, vol even the bulky set outspeed all base 115s at +1
    Last edited by TrollFreak; 28th November 2011 at 11:31 PM.

Shell Smash? WTF is this? Just go physically defensive in the lower tiers.

Torkoal @Leftovers
    Bold
    252 HP/Def 4 Sp. Atk
    Shell Armour
    Lava Plume
    Stealth Rock
    Rapid Spin
    Protect

And actually, he does get Earth Power.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

And actually, he does get Earth Power.
    srry, wrong website i was looking at, still needs to be defensive anywho

shell smash in OU doesn't work:
        Spoiler:- battles:

I need to try it on NU and see if it works there.

torkoal= stay away from OU

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    shell smash in OU doesn't work:
        Spoiler:- battles:

I need to try it on NU and see if it works there.

torkoal= stay away from OU
    thank you for finally figuring this out, now we can discuss it in RU/NU

Am I the only one here who likes Torkoal? And if I were to make a Gamera joke, would anyone get it?

Anyways, I thinks Torkoal's best bet is to use a Curse set with max HP and Sp. Defense investment with rest. Could be a sleep talk set, could be resto chesto, one of the two. The problem with that is, of course, it gets no physical fire stab, (SCREW FLAREON, FLARE BLITZ FOR TORKOAL! WOO!), so it has to rely on EdgeQuake and Gyro Ball. I guess you could run one with lava plume and make it a... mixed Curse set? That could work, with a little Special Attack investment... I dunno. It's Torkoal. Hell yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilosophicalPsychologica View Post
    Um...I suppose if you have a Trick Room team, it's possible to go for some bizarre type of Shell Smashing Torkoal in Trick Room. With min Speed, Torkoal can go up to a blistering 80 Speed after a Shell Smash!
    I would think you'd actually be benefitting the faster, tougher mons letting Torkoal use Shell Smash in a Trick Room. You'll get to move first because of Torkoal's abysmal Speed, but then its weakened defenses are left wide open to the faster Pokémon that haven't even struck yet.

Plus, base 80 Speed puts you in a weird purgatory of making you not fast enough in regular conditions, nor quite fast enough in a Trick Room.
    I'm thinking about creating a printer-friendly Pokédex guidebook for Black and White versions. Let me know what you think about it here.

Quote Originally Posted by BionicToaster View Post
    My lead set:
    Torkoal@Focus Sash
    Ability: White Smoke
    EVs: 176 HP, 80 Defense, 252 Special Defense
    Nature: Calm [+ Special Defense, - Attack]
    -Stealth Rock
    -Rapid Spin
    -Overheat
    -Yawn

I tried to make the EV spread/Nature to make it so that he could take special hits as well as physical hits. Anyway, Yawn on the first turn, and make them decide if they want to keep their lead awake or not. Use Stealth Rock on the switch, or Rapid Spin away their hazards on the switch. Overheat Really just so you're not screwed by Taunt. Try to keep him for later for phazing with Yawn or for Rapid Spin support, but he's viable death fodder for a Heatran Earth Power

I would use Flamthrower instead so you can attack more.

Default Torkoal

Torkoal is interesting, I'll give it that.

i have more of a UU set, but honestly, that's what Torkoal is any good for.

It's a weird set but whatever.

I'm Not As Weird as You
    Flamethrower
    Body Slam
    Iron Defense
    Hidden Power Grass
    Ability: White Smoke
    Item: Leftovers
    EVs:252 HP, 10 Atk. & Sp.Atk., 4 Def. & 228 Sp.Def

You use Torkoal at the very end, when the opponent can't hurt you. All Water types or Sp.Atk Pokemon should be removed, but Torkoal got enough fire in him to take a hit. Iron Defense so physical Pokemon can't touch it. Body Slam for that neat paralysis, you'll need any help you can get. HP Grass to deal with those weakened Ground, Rock, Water Pokemon. Flamethrower for good coverage, a filler, and STAB. The set works, but you have to use Torkoal at the precise moment, and it takes a real pro to correctly abuse Torkoal's potential. i have one, so i know.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster123 View Post
    He doesnt get Earth Power, wtf is this i dont even
    Yes it does, 4th gen move tutor.

yea, i was using This site there, and i didn't see Earth Power, Torkoal shouldn't be running Earth Power anyways, in NU/RU, he spins away rocks, and can go SS i guess, tho i would use Simisear/Magmortar for a Fire Type Attacker

Default Tailwind?

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    I'm sorry to say, but Shell Smash is just not good on Torkoal. I mean, at all. Even with a positive speed nature and max investment, +2 Torkoal is easily outsped by positive natured Base 90s and up, leaving it easily checked even in the lower tiers. You're also completely destroying its bulk, making it even easier to revenge kill. For example, Lilligant can just come in and almost always OHKO -1 SpD Torkoal with HP Rock, and that's without the Life Orb. Dugtio sings the same tune with Earthquake, once again without Life Orb or Choice Band. If you go with White Herb to stop being so easy to revenge kill, you lose out on the Life Orb boost, which you almost need to have with Base 85 offenses. And honestly, Base 20 speed? Bronzor laughs at how slow you are. Bronzor.
    What about under a tailwind or a swamp from the pledges on the opponent's field (or both lulz)?

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

^ 20 base speed w/ Tailwind. So Fast. And who will support Tailwind? Brivarly, Unfezant?

Pledges, oh yea, ima run the starters mons and waste valuable spots to support a poke better at support then sweeping

Ability:
    White Smoke- Best for boosting set.
    Shell Armor- Best for bulky set but less useful than white smoke.

Burn/Toxic Stall
    @Left-overs / White Herb
    White Smoke / Shell Armor
    Bold / Relaxed [252 Def / 216 HP / 40 SpAtk]
    - Toxic / Will-o-Wisp
    - Protect
    - Iron Defense / Amnesia / Substitute / Smoke Screen
    - Flame Thrower / Heatwave / Overheat

This set is gimmicky. Toxic and Will-o-Wisp gives status. Protect stalls the status. Iron Def and Amnesia raises your defensive stat while Substitute stalls like protect. Smokescreen lowers the accuracy. Flame Thrower and Heat wave for damage

Choice
    @Choice Band
    White Smoke
    Brave / Adamant [252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 HP]
    - Flame Charge
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Tail
    - Explosion / Body Slam / Return

Moves explain themselves.

Specs
    @Choice Specs
    White Smoke
    Modest / Bold [252 SpAtk / 252 Def / 4 HP]
    - Flame Thrower / Heatwave / Eruption
    - HP [Water]
    - Solar Beam
    - Earth Power

Same as above. Moves explain themselves.

Tank
    @Left-overs / White Herb
    White Smoke / Shell Armor
    Bold / Relaxed [252 Def / 216 HP / 40 SpAtk]
    - Yawn / Toxic / Will-o-Wisp
    - Stealth Rock
    - Flame Thrower / Overheat
    - Rapid Spin

All moves explain themselves.

Other options...
    Shell Break - will make it offensive but lowers defensive stat
    Curse and Gyro Ball - good combination but takes time to boost
    Wide Lens - raises your accuracy but less useful than lefties and white herbs

EDIT: I WAS CONFUSED!!! SORRY ^^,
    Last edited by menametlg; 30th November 2011 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    I meant a +4 torkoal 2 boosts! it is a risk if you can run screens he can work

get a +4 and it is a gg so stop assuming it don't work just because the +2 don't work just like jirachi or scizor to sweep you need +4.
    So, you're expecting to get two shell smashes? Good luck with that, you'll need it, especially with all these bulky waters, rock moves, and ground moves running around. Against rain, you don't even need to ask. Against sun, Chlorophyll will easily outrun it. Against sand, you'll have to set up on earthquake and stone edge.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Choice
    @Choice Band
    White Smoke
    Brave / Docile [252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 HP]
    - Flame Charge
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Tail
    - Explosion / Body Slam / Return

Moves explain themselves.

Specs
    @Choice Specs
    White Smoke
    Adamant / Bold [252 SpAtk / 252 Def / 4 SpDef]
    - Flame Thrower / Heatwave / Eruption
    - HP [Water]
    - Solar Beam
    - Earth Power
    What? Specs with a SpA dropping nature?

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    So, you're expecting to get two shell smashes? Good luck with that, you'll need it, especially with all these bulky waters, rock moves, and ground moves running around. Against rain, you don't even need to ask. Against sun, Chlorophyll will easily outrun it. Against sand, you'll have to set up on earthquake and stone edge.
    using torkoal in OU is a mistake keep it out of OU and UU too RU or NU there torkoal belongs.. if he gets a recovery move then you can try it somewhere else... (like morning sun or SOMETHING)

Also why do you listen to smogon I looked at the article at smogon and some people here had done copypasta from there...
    Last edited by Ilan; 29th November 2011 at 2:02 PM.

using torkoal in OU is a mistake keep it out of OU and UU too RU or NU there torkoal belongs.. if he gets a recovery move then you can try it somewhere else... (like morning sun or SOMETHING)
    But POTW is OU, with maybe a little bit of LC. You should know that if you ever read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    But POTW is OU, with maybe a little bit of LC. You should know that if you ever read it.
    I always read it.. it doesn't mention tiers actually.. too bad most pokemons can't do nothing in OU, but are pretty good on NU or RU surprisingly there is a mention to stored power in gallade "other options" O.O there are only 2 decent stored power users.. and I can clearly say gallade is NOT one of them.

torkoal works in NU everywhere else is is outclassed by pretty much everything.

Torkoal has potential... It makes an amazing wall in the right circumstances

Through the Rings of Fire
    Torkoal @ leftovers
    ability: whitesmoke
    nature: Bold
    252 HP/252 Def or Sp Def/4 Sp Def or Def

Fire Spin
    Will-o-wisp
    Amnesia
    Rest

Okay first off baton passing defensive boosts helps if you care to try that (look at Drifblim, Mawile and Gale of Darkness Lunatone)
    But the main strategy here is to trap them with Fire Spin and then will-o-wisp to halve their attack then prepare for special attackers with amnesia and rest when needed
    How would you like your WALL today, unbelievably tough or OH MY GOD JUST DIE!!!?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Heir_of_Madness View Post
    Torkoal has potential... It makes an amazing wall in the right circumstances

Through the Rings of Fire
    Torkoal @ leftovers
    ability: whitesmoke
    nature: Bold
    252 HP/252 Def or Sp Def/4 Sp Def or Def

Fire Spin
    Will-o-wisp
    Amnesia
    Rest

Okay first off baton passing defensive boosts helps if you care to try that (look at Drifblim, Mawile and Gale of Darkness Lunatone)
    But the main strategy here is to trap them with Fire Spin and then will-o-wisp to halve their attack then prepare for special attackers with amnesia and rest when needed
    Fire spin is kind of useless..

Rather then baton pass support, why not just max out defense EVs(no "or sp.def")? 140 base defense is pretty good, and you already have amnesia. On top of that, will-o-wisp cuts your enemy's attack stat in half.

Also, Lunatone isn't the world's greatest baton passer.
    I always read it.. it doesn't mention tiers actually..
    Take a look at counters/teammates. It usually brings up OU pokemon.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 29th November 2011 at 3:22 PM.

Yes fire spin generally is useless but I find the ability to both stop your opponent from switching and get an extra 1/16 of your opponents health down every turn to be usefull with walls especially when you cant't inflict much damage with your wall
    How would you like your WALL today, unbelievably tough or OH MY GOD JUST DIE!!!?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Heir_of_Madness View Post
    Yes fire spin generally is useless but I find the ability to both stop your opponent from switching and get an extra 1/16 of your opponents health down every turn to be usefull with walls especially when you cant't inflict much damage with your wall
    Actually, 85/85 attacking stats aren't bad for a wall. I'd use flamethrower instead.

Also, I'd rather use Shell Armor over white smoke. Crits hit through defense boost, and can often break through walls the attacks otherwise cannot. Stat lowering moves are very rare.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 29th November 2011 at 4:34 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast