Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #49

why would i use zebstrika in ou

Quote Originally Posted by Cometk View Post
    why would i use zebstrika in ou
    Erm, I don't really get what point you're making. We aren't trying to convince you it's OU material, just prepare it's sets and point out it's niches....
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Stop posting thrash! this move is garbage! really return have 104 BP while thrash have 120 BP.. 16 bp difference not too big

also it got double edge if you like the recoil

if it had reckless.. it could use double edge better but return seems better most of the time

and giga impact= twice as garbage as thrash

if he had a bigger movepool it would be different.. just wait till the next main series game comes out with move tutors this POTW is unrealible right now.. superpower will probably make a come back adn he will probably will be able to learn it..

so really.. it have an awful movepool why not just wait with those pokemons same for the starter pokemons which you rushed to do a POTW

also a bigger question where are our sets?!? I think runo just ignore this disscussion and make what he wants to, right! because everyone post here, instead helping to get the better sets and conclutions to make a POTW good everyone just post his sets.

so it have only three usable sets: mixed,choice band,choice specs

usable moves:
    special:thunderbolt,overheat,volt switch, hidden power
    physical:wild charge,flame charge,Pursuit,double edge/return
    other:thunder wave,me first

^That's his whole move pool people! all the rest of his moves are too weak to use for steels you got overheat or flame charge (AKA double kick is useless)

Then why everyone knows serebii are just bad... I think Blue Harvest stopped posting here for the same rasons reno doesn't even look here seeing his POTW have stored power on "other options".

OU Zebstrika @Life Orb [Sap Sipper]
    252 Att/252 Spd [Timid]
    Wild Charge
    Overheat
    Volt Switch/Hidden Power [Ice]/Thunder Wave
    Double Kick/Return/Pursuit

The idea is to switch into things that Spore/Leech Seed/use grass moves (Breloom, Celebii, etc.) and get a +1 to attack. As Zeb is faster that these grass types, you can Overheat, or, predicting a switch, Pursuit. Hidden Power [ice] is for Gliscor, Double Kick is for steels like Heatran or Cobalion, and Wild Charge is your go-to STAB attack. Thunder Wave is for more support, and Volt Switch is for scouting.
    !

^Max attack EVs, an ability that boost attack, then a -Attack nature and not many physical moves?

Cabolion is rare anyway, I'd give it double edge or return. On top of that, Cabolion won't like an Overheat too much.
    usable moves:

^That's his whole move pool people! all the rest of his moves are too weak to use for steels you got overheat or flame charge (AKA double kick is useless)
    This is so true it's not even funny. It's a shame to, I like Zebstrika...

Oh, I guess Charge Beam can go to the special attack sets.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 5th December 2011 at 8:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    Then why everyone knows serebii are just bad... I think Blue Harvest stopped posting here for the same rasons reno doesn't even look here seeing his POTW have stored power on "other options".
    Maybe yo do have a point here... But I post to share my ideas with other trainers... I don't care very much if it got in the actual POTW.

I like to make my sets a little gimmicky that maybe I never use but might work that's why I added tail whip or screech and endure... I never tried them but who knows they might work... Thats why they are gimmicky. So I would say that all the moves you cited are attacking moves except for thunder wave but me first is a fun gimmick too! Regardless, Zebstrika has one of the worst movepools in the game...Shame!

Zebstrika looks awesome, but it's movepool is terrible. Well, here's a little mixed set I just made up. Let's just assume for a few minutes that someone would use Zebstrika in OU.

Zebstrika@Life Orb
    Naive
    Lightning Rod
    EVs: 252 Atk, 248 Spe, 8 SpA
    Moves:
    -Wild Charge
    -Overheat
    -Double Edge/Return
    -Pursuit/Volt Switch/Thunder Wave

Zebstrika has one thing to be proud of: it outspeeds all of OU bar Deoxys-S. Base 100 Atk is pretty nice as well, so Wild Charge has the potential to really hurt a lot of stuff. For example, it can OHKO specially defensive Jellicent with Wild Charge, while Thunderbolt will not even come close. Overheat allows Zebstrika to get past Pokemon like Ferrothorn with ease, and the normal attack you choose will give you a bit of extra neutral coverage. The last move is a toss up, honestly. Pursuit seems nice for catching a few things off guard. Starmie will likely switch out when faced with Zebstrika, allowing you to do a lot of damage on the switch (83% minimum). Volt Switch is just a nice move to throw around here and there, and it really helps that Zebstrika has the fastest U-Turn/Volt Switch in all of OU. He also has the fastest Thunder Wave, which is nice for crippling a sweeper when you're on your last leg.

And now for a little special set, because I'm feeling generous today.

Zebstrika@Life Orb/Choice Specs
    Timid
    Lightning Rod
    EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    Moves:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Overheat
    -Hidden Power Ice
    -Volt Switch

Pretty basic. Just hit stuff with your coverage between Thunderbolt, Overheat, and HP Ice. Volt Switch to maintain offensive momentum. Zebstrika is actually pretty threatening if you get a Lightning Rod boost. Life Orb or Specs depending on if you want versatility or power.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    So it have only three usable sets: mixed,choice band,choice specs

usable moves:

He specifically called it gimmicky, pointed out the gimmick, and subsequently debunked that it would actually come off the ground as a 'real'-move.. Especially on Espeon...

As for Zebstrika, oh lord, now I'll have to convince my girlfriend that the zebra isn't really what it's cracked up to be.. Same with the leopard, anybody know of a decent moveset for that thing?
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Here's another lame one. Never liked this guy, (except for the Denis). A Zebra? C'mon, there's better things. In a physical movepool, he's no better than Stantler. In special, he's like a underrated Manatric.

Other options
    Me First, on fast pokemon. Although there is priority that ruins it, it's great for scouting. Combine this with Thunder Wave, and it works fantastic. A great example of this would be like Drapion, who can carry Earthquake, but is still weak to it.
    Me first also works well as it absorbs the opponent's boosts as well, such as life orb, making it like as if there were two life orbs, not to mention that the move itself boosts it as if it were stab. Taking the example above, earthquake would be about 253.5 power without it being super effective.

It also absorbs stab as well, so if it were a nidoking, that would be 380 power without it being super effective.

If used as such, it can fight ubers.
    Now I could be wrong on this, so someone should double check before I get too enthusiastic.

Here's the set that might be the thing-

Zebrustrica
    Item: life orb/focus sash
    thunderwave
    me first
    flame charge
    thunderbolt/discharge
    Apparently, I can't claim Larvesta. But who cares?
    It's still the cutest bug eva!

I am The Grovyle, that friend in a high place.

The craziest battle I ever had- Toxic spikes supported baton passing team, with a Splashing Wailord. And won. You have to try it!

A Zebra? C'mon, there's better things.
    I know that's not what this thread is about, but is there something wrong with a Zebra? Then there should be something wrong with a lizard, a turtle, a plant bulb, and a mouse.

If used as such, it can fight ubers.
    Yeah, it's only going to be stopped by Mewtwo, Kyogre, Reshiram, Zekrom, Ferrothorn, Blaziken, Excadril, Groudon, Arceus, Raquaza with EQ, Dialga, Palkia, Ho-oh, Skymin, Lugia, Garchomp, Giratina-o, Giratina-a, Doexys, Deoxys-attack, Deoxys-S, Blissy, Chansy, Swift Swimmers, and maybe a few others.

Leave Me First to mewtwo, if you want to do it at all.
    Zebstrika@Life Orb/Choice Specs
    Timid
    Lightning Rod
    EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    Moves:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Overheat
    -Hidden Power Ice
    -Volt Switch

Pretty basic. Just hit stuff with your coverage between Thunderbolt, Overheat, and HP Ice. Volt Switch to maintain offensive momentum. Zebstrika is actually pretty threatening if you get a Lightning Rod boost. Life Orb or Specs depending on if you want versatility or power.
    I've already listed this, and HP grass is an option for hitting Gastrodon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Erm, I don't really get what point you're making. We aren't trying to convince you it's OU material, just prepare it's sets and point out it's niches....
    its niche is a mixed wallbreaker in nu

no other good reason to use it

For partners if it's running a special set and has lightning rod it can do basically what Manectric does and partner it with a water type to get rid of its pesky ground weakness. Starmie is an excellent option due to it being fast and hitting hard or Gyrados to save it from its 4x weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac
    I've already listed this, and HP grass is an option for hitting Gastrodon.
    Oh well, tl;dr the whole thread. Besides, someone's probably going to mention that set again in a few pages. It's not like Zebstrika has many options. :\

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Oh well, tl;dr the whole thread. Besides, someone's probably going to mention that set again in a few pages. It's not like Zebstrika has many options. :\
    Aside from everything mentioned already, only Toxic and Light Screen stand out as other potential options. Debuffs (aside from Screech) are only worth 1 stage, other attack Moves are weak-sauce, and other support Moves aren't too viable with Zeb's inherent frailty.

At least you aren't going to be too confused by so many options like some of the weaker Pokemon...

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    He specifically called it gimmicky, pointed out the gimmick, and subsequently debunked that it would actually come off the ground as a 'real'-move.. Especially on Espeon...

As for Zebstrika, oh lord, now I'll have to convince my girlfriend that the zebra isn't really what it's cracked up to be.. Same with the leopard, anybody know of a decent moveset for that thing?
    1.There are only 2 good users of stored power: clefable and sygiliph both have magic guard to stay enough to use a boosting move like 6 times

2. zebras are awesome

3.liepard have a fine set with prankster other sets are for NU.. but prankster fits to UU

IDK why people keep posting the same sets again and again anyway most pokemons don't have more than 5 usable sets maximum and 3 useful ones..

I bet no one gonna use a special zebriska (cause matrike is much better on than) so banded or mixed... that's all it got

Quote Originally Posted by Cometk View Post
    its niche is a mixed wallbreaker in nu

no other good reason to use it
    You're probably right, actually. Not very many sets have been posted, most look the same.

We could still try side sets, but the mixed attacker should be the main set, with specs and band afterwards.
    1.There are only 2 good users of stored power: clefable and sygiliph both have magic guard to stay enough to use a boosting move like 6 times
    Baton Pass chains and Espeon are so annoying....

You're probably right, actually. Not very many sets have been posted, most look the same.

We could still try side sets, but the mixed attacker should be the main set, with specs and band afterwards.
    Agreed. Seeing as most Pokemon weak to Flame Charge would only enter into Zeb if they have high enough Defense to shrug it off anyway, that Base 80 Sp.Atk isn't so bad with Overheat to teach them a thing or two.

That said, few options for a mixed attacker mean your pony has one trick only. At least some of the others get either more variety with their Speed (i.e. Accelgor, Crobat, Weavile, Alakazam) or more reliability with their Move-Types (i.e. Aerodactyl, Dugtrio, Sceptile). Zeb's main Moves activate too many Abilities and/or have too many immunities to them.

As an Electric Type, though, it places 4th in Attack (7th if you count legendary Pokemon) and 3rd in Speed. None of the other 3 non-legendary Electric Types with high Attack can boast the same Speed advantage. Compared to the 2 Speedsters, Electrode has far too few offensive Move-Types to really compare to Zeb, so Jolteon is probably the best yardstick, despite being Special oriented.

Despite the superior Speed and Sp.Atk, Jolteon has only one true inferiority to Zeb - it can't go mixed attacker as well as Zeb. Only Raichu, 'tross, and Galv' can even come close to Zeb's potential to mix attack. However, 'tross can't outspeed much without Trick Room.

A one-trick pony? Sure, Zeb is. But it's trick is a rather complex one anyway. I'm not going to complain about it as much as I would with any other Electric Type...

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_shoesXx View Post
    OU Zebstrika @Life Orb [Sap Sipper]
    252 Att/252 Spd [Naive/Hasty]
    Wild Charge
    Overheat
    Hidden Power [Ice]/Thunder Wave
    Double Kick/Pursuit

The idea is to switch into things that Spore/Leech Seed/use grass moves (Breloom, Celebii, etc.) and get a +1 to attack. As Zeb is faster that these grass types, you can Overheat, or, predicting a switch, Pursuit. Hidden Power [ice] is for Gliscor, Double Kick is for steels like Heatran or Cobalion, and Wild Charge is your go-to STAB attack. Thunder Wave is for more support.
    ^Max attack EVs, an ability that boost attack, then a -Attack nature and not many physical moves?

Cabolion is rare anyway, I'd give it double edge or return. On top of that, Cabolion won't like an Overheat too much.This is so true it's not even funny. It's a shame to, I like Zebstrika...

Oh, I guess Charge Beam can go to the special attack sets.
    Oops. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed timid. I made some changes.

Cobolion may be rare, but Heatran is rampant. Not to mention Tyranitar.

It doesn't need four physical moves, as it's physical coverage is at it's best (considering it's limited movepool) with two, three moves tops. Gliscor will take a beating from a x4 hidden power weakness; at least it's somewhat unexpected from Zeb, unlike overheat.
    !

Support Nonstrika @ Light clay
    252 SpDef/252 Spd [Calm]
    Light Screen
    Discharge
    Toxic
    Charge

While his Special defense may not be the best, Light Screen+charge really... well, it doesn't hurt it. This set can work as a half special wall half support. Light screen lets it take more special hits. Discharge for attack and para chance. Toxic for electric types that try to stay in. Charge for a Spdef boost and can boost discharge's power if you're expecting a switch out.

If it got calm mind, this set wouldn't be too bad. Sadly, no such luck. Either way, this is in my opinion one of the better support sets Zebstrika can use.
    I have officially claimed Castform, The Master of all Weather!

Monorpale is my favorite Gen 6 Pokemon so far. If you have a problem with it, you can talk to the tassel hand.

^If you're using it as a wall, you're using it wrong. It's like sending Ferrothorn in on Heatran, or using a Choice Scarfed Blissy.

I know that's not what this thread is about, but is there something wrong with a Zebra? Then there should be something wrong with a lizard, a turtle, a plant bulb, and a mouse.

Yeah, it's only going to be stopped by Mewtwo, Kyogre, Reshiram, Zekrom, Ferrothorn, Blaziken, Excadril, Groudon, Arceus, Raquaza with EQ, Dialga, Palkia, Ho-oh, Skymin, Lugia, Garchomp, Giratina-o, Giratina-a, Doexys, Deoxys-attack, Deoxys-S, Blissy, Chansy, Swift Swimmers, and maybe a few others.

Leave Me First to mewtwo, if you want to do it at all. I've already listed this, and HP grass is an option for hitting Gastrodon.
    Ok, I got the point. But the power can be intense sometimes. And no, Lucario and Xatu can use this move well too. It really matters on prediction, which, once again, may not be a good thing sometimes.

And I admit, this zebra is unique. Three immunity abilities, that can take status moves as well. Awesome. Not to mention, probably the only electric type that can seriously counter grass types, not just because of ability, but it's capable of fire type moves.

Counters
    Ground types from all generations can tear it out with earthquake, no need to mention names. If running a physical set, almost any serious physical wall can stop it, even skarmory gives it trouble, just don't switch in to a super effective move and you'll be fine. Special? Even Audino and Mandibuzz can leave it one down. The defenses are so low that any good hit will buckle it like a gazelle.
    Apparently, I can't claim Larvesta. But who cares?
    It's still the cutest bug eva!

I am The Grovyle, that friend in a high place.

The craziest battle I ever had- Toxic spikes supported baton passing team, with a Splashing Wailord. And won. You have to try it!

^If you're using it as a wall, you're using it wrong. It's like sending Ferrothorn in on Heatran, or using a Choice Scarfed Blissy.
    I was mainly going the support route. The only reason I called it a wall is because it's EVs are like one, which is the only way it's going to survive more than one hit. The idea of the set was support, and as it only gets light screen, I was going for late game support. Basically, get lightscreen up, fire off a discharge or use toxic based on which one would be more beneficial. Charge is there for lack of a better move.
    I have officially claimed Castform, The Master of all Weather!

Monorpale is my favorite Gen 6 Pokemon so far. If you have a problem with it, you can talk to the tassel hand.

Zebstrika (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Lightningrod
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
    Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
    - Substitute
    - Me First
    - Overheat
    - Wild Charge

Yeah really! This is a very gimmicky but hilarious set to run on a Zebstrika. You switch into an electric move to get the motor drive boost. On the predicted switch you can put up your substitute. The switch into a Zebstrika will most likely be a ground type wall capable of taking the electric or fire move. Then the fun starts. You use Me First on the earthquake or whatever move they choose and then you have them just eating out of your hands. If the gimmick fails at least you know your opponent will probably cower in fear, because you brought a Zebstrika with Me First. Who knows, maybe he will drop his DS and it will freeze. A forfeit is every bit of a win in my books. The other moves are pretty standard on a Zebstrika and are for actual damage.
    Please don't take me seriously. I think I am just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by PardonMyHarden View Post
    Zebstrika (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Lightningrod
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
    Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
    - Substitute
    - Me First
    - Overheat
    - Wild Charge

Yeah really! This is a very gimmicky but hilarious set to run on a Zebstrika. You switch into an electric move to get the motor drive boost. On the predicted switch you can put up your substitute. The switch into a Zebstrika will most likely be a ground type wall capable of taking the electric or fire move. Then the fun starts. You use Me First on the earthquake or whatever move they choose and then you have them just eating out of your hands. If the gimmick fails at least you know your opponent will probably cower in fear, because you brought a Zebstrika with Me First. Who knows, maybe he will drop his DS and it will freeze. A forfeit is every bit of a win in my books. The other moves are pretty standard on a Zebstrika and are for actual damage.
    You might as well run HP Grass > Substitute. Me First can be use to instantly destroy stuff like Lati@s / Hydreigon (Draco Meteor) but HP Grass lets you take down Gastrodon. Also max Speed lol. Naive or Hasty.

Yeah just kinda threw something together. I would never expect a Zebstrika to take down a Gastrodon anyways so I didn't really worry about it. I like substitute because it gives you a little security and the enemy will probably think you are attempting to set up a sweep, while instead you are just trying to take out your main counters for a latter sweep by Zebstrika or a teamate.
    Please don't take me seriously. I think I am just kidding.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast