Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Prehistory Club!

OK people, I finally found my fanmade starter line.
    Grassaurus, Plant Dino Pokemon (Microraptor, Grass/Rock, Starter body covered in feathers, including 4 wings) ==>
    Slasheraptor, Leaf Raptor Pokemon (Utahraptor, Grass/Rock, evolves from Grassaurus at lv. 20, feathers cover most of body, no wings) ==>
    Clawdon, Scythe Claw Pokemon (Therizinosaur, Grass/Rock, evolves from Slasheraptor at level 40, feathers cover little of body)

I hope you like 'em!
    Edit: Whoops, sorry for the double post, people.
    Author thread post:
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpos...6&postcount=80
    Claims: Archeops, Rival Silver, and Zoo Tycoon 2

Favourite Pokémon: (etc)

scraftyscrafty
    Favorite Prehistoric Animal: Aerodactyl Pterosaur/ Pterodactyl

Yes, I know that's Aerodactyl

ah , what an unsightly existence ! / illustration : cyawa

Welcome to the club! Have you ever heard of the giant pterosaur Hatzegopteryx? It's one of my favorite prehistoric animals.
    Author thread post:

Thanks for accepting me! Iv'e never heard of that hatze.....hatzuh.....

....pterodactyl thing, but it sounds interesting! what did it look like?

Edit: I googled it, I recognize the physiology. That thing's impressive! It amazes me that all the dinosaurs could fly like that, more than anything else. ^^

They ate fish, right? They were like gigantic sea-hawks, and they probably hung around clif sides, didn't they?

Also, have you heard of Nyctosaurus? They had HUDE head crests. They were pterosaurs too.
    Last edited by Finch.; 26th December 2011 at 11:19 PM.

| tumblr. | dA |

...First of all, pterosaurs weren't dinosaurs. Second of all, I'm pretty sure that at least the later adzarchids (Hategopteryx, Quetzalcoatlus, and their relatives) were far more land oriented than, say, a Dimorphodon or a Pteranodon. Hatzegopteryx was even the top predator in its island ecosystem (along with the odd dromaeosaur Balaur, which had an extra toe claw on each foot and only two fingers on each hand.) I've also heard of Nyctosaurus. They appeared in several episodes of the show Prehistoric Park.
    Author thread post:

I got a new fossil for Christmas. It is an Orthoceras and is one of the oldest fossils I have seen. 500 to 190 million years ago was its time range.

My other dragon please visit.

Oh, sorry about those mistakes...

You've really researched this a lot, haven't you?

| tumblr. | dA |

^Actually, yes, I have. It outrages me when I find inaccuracies in toys and movies about dinosaurs, and I plan to be a paleontologist when I grow up. By the way, here's my fossil list:
    Spinosaurus aegyptiacus tooth
    Charcharocles megalodon tooth
    Unnamed trilobite
    Coprolite (unknown species)
    Author thread post:

Megaladon? *geeks out*

I love those fish! Aquatic animals were way cooler when they were that huge. ^^

I have a fresh water snail fossil, it's pretty big, about as big as an orange. It's quite a few pounds, too. It looks kind of like this:

Only more worn down (I found it in a dry creek bed) and less colorful.

I also found a bivalve-type fossil in the creek bed, its big too.

I personally believe that the fossil record is flawed, since nobody's found the entire fossil record in one place, so I think that paleontology is at least slightly corrupt in its research, but when it comes to classification, I can understand.

| tumblr. | dA |

I have seen fossils in the walls of the grand canyon when I was 8.

Quote Originally Posted by ga'hoolefan View Post
    OK people, I finally found my fanmade starter line.
    Grassaurus, Plant Dino Pokemon (Microraptor, Grass/Rock, Starter body covered in feathers, including 4 wings) ==>
    Slasheraptor, Leaf Raptor Pokemon (Utahraptor, Grass/Rock, evolves from Grassaurus at lv. 20, feathers cover most of body, no wings) ==>
    Clawdon, Scythe Claw Pokemon (Therizinosaur, Grass/Rock, evolves from Slasheraptor at level 40, feathers cover little of body)

I hope you like 'em!
    Edit: Whoops, sorry for the double post, people.
    WOW, that line is awesome! As if Microraptor wasn't good enough... It becomes a THERIZINOSAUR?! I love those things! They are so awkward but in a cool way! If these were real... I know what I'd be picking. Do you have any Fire or Water starter line ideas?

And yep, I know what Hatzegopteryx is, since I saw Dinosaur Planet. That thing is weird! O_O A pterosaur as big as a giraffe? I found it hard to believe, to be honest.

The only fossils we have at home are some ammonites dug up from my aunt and uncle's garden. I see most prehistoric stuff in museums!

Who cares about cookies? Come to the Light Side, we have CUPCAKES!

Animal Crossing: New Leaf Dream Code: 7100-3458-5872

^Yep. I have the Fire- and Water- type starters. The fire-types go from eaglet to secretary bird to pheonix. The water starter goes from porpoise to dolphin to orca. However, this isn't really the place to discuss them. Have you guys ever read the novel that started it all, Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton? It's one of my favorite books of all time.
    Author thread post:

If any of you here haven't played Star Fox Adventures before, I highly suggest you do so. It's for the Gamecube and it's pretty old (from 2002) but it's an amazing game. It's basically Legend of Zelda except with dinosaurs and spaceships.

Maybe we can try to figure out what species each race on the planet is based on. For example, I think the Earthwalker tribe is supposed to be based on Styracosaurus because of the spikes at the end of their frills. Also, the Redeye tribe are quite obviously Tyranosaurus Rex. They have the right body shape and they're approximately the right size (though the king Redeye is far larger than any T. Rex).

The Lightfoot tribe has always been a mystery to me. The first thing that comes to mind with them is Velociraptor, but they lack the characteristic curved claws.

^ Click this for good times ^

Quote Originally Posted by ga'hoolefan View Post
    ^Yep. I have the Fire- and Water- type starters. The fire-types go from eaglet to secretary bird to pheonix. The water starter goes from porpoise to dolphin to orca. However, this isn't really the place to discuss them. Have you guys ever read the novel that started it all, Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton? It's one of my favorite books of all time.
    Jurassic Park is one of the most innacurate, most insulting pieces of work in the world to Palaentology.

So no. I haven't.
    "Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?" Bill Hicks, Dec 16th 1961 - Feb 26th 1994

When it was made, it was pretty accurate (at least the book was...) so I can forgive them for that. Heck, the original movie is my favorite of all time!
    Author thread post:

Probably the most accurate majorly-televised program would be Planet Dinosaur. Most others really don't know what they're on about. Especially Jurassic Park.

A Velociraptor the size of a human? Without feather? And it apparently has the brain capacity to know what a door handle is?

Hah.
    "Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?" Bill Hicks, Dec 16th 1961 - Feb 26th 1994

Remember, InGen WAS tampering with the dinosaur's genes just a bit. Also, at the time of the movie and book's production, Deinonychus was included in Velociraptor.
    Author thread post:

Probably the most accurate majorly-televised program would be Planet Dinosaur. Most others really don't know what they're on about. Especially Jurassic Park.
    Not true. While I agree with you about Jurassic Park there are several shows that I find very informal. Some of these shows include Walking with Monsters, Walking with Dinosaurs, Walking with Prehistoric Beasts, and Animal Armageddon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypno12 View Post
    Not true. While I agree with you about Jurassic Park there are several shows that I find very informal. Some of these shows include Walking with Monsters, Walking with Dinosaurs, Walking with Prehistoric Beasts, and Animal Armageddon.
    Never watched Animal Armageddon, but the others I've watched. Walking with monsters was fine(Although it missed out some major species that were involved in the Cambrian explosion), and so was Walking with Beasts.

Walking with Dinosaurs was good for its time, but the bit that put me off was in the second episode, where they "Guess" that Diplodocus would've used an egg tube to lay its eggs. That theory is seriously far-fetched, and just annoys me that they didn't bother looking more in depth into the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Toobworm View Post
    Megaladon? *geeks out*

I love those fish! Aquatic animals were way cooler when they were that huge. ^^

I have a fresh water snail fossil, it's pretty big, about as big as an orange. It's quite a few pounds, too. It looks kind of like this:

Only more worn down (I found it in a dry creek bed) and less colorful.

I also found a bivalve-type fossil in the creek bed, its big too.

I personally believe that the fossil record is flawed, since nobody's found the entire fossil record in one place, so I think that paleontology is at least slightly corrupt in its research, but when it comes to classification, I can understand.
    I found something like this once at the back garden(the place no one ever goes to except the adventurous) of my primary school, only thing was that it was more of a grayish colour. It was a little bigger than my hand(palm with fingers stretched out) and was kinda heavy. Reminded me of ammonites more than water snails though.
    Last edited by SS_Append; 2nd January 2012 at 4:37 AM.

CaptainGarchomp
    My Favourite Dinosaur is:
    Stegosaurus
    Credit to Wikipedia
    Last edited by CaptainGarchomp; 2nd January 2012 at 4:41 AM.
    Currently Seeking:Events And Shinies I dont have,DW
    Females.

Willing To Offer:Events that I have,Shinies that I have,likeSatoshi's Reshiram,NOK Rayquaza,
    Shiny Groudon and many more.

Feel free to PM Me asking what I have,or What you are looking for.

CaptainGarchomp

Quote Originally Posted by midgeorge View Post
    That's true. But don't forget, there are still many things we don''t know about prehistoric creatures. Is their skin colour really what we think of? Were they really wiped out by said asteroid? The prehistoric puzzle isn't anywhere near finished, so we can't really say what's right and what's wrong. Of course, there's truth here and there about the diet, living in packs/ alone etc.
    Last edited by SS_Append; 2nd January 2012 at 6:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scraftyscrafty View Post
    That's true. But don't forget, there are still many things we don''t know about prehistoric creatures. Is their skin colour really what we think of? Were they really wiped out by said asteroid? The prehistoric puzzle isn't anywhere near finished, so we can't really say what's right and what's wrong. Of course, there's truth here and there about the diet, living in packs/ alone etc.
    What scientists are doing now is finding out their diet,they can see from their teeth's shape and size and some fossilized droppings,some which contains some bones from their last meal.
    Last edited by CaptainGarchomp; 2nd January 2012 at 7:13 AM.
    Currently Seeking:Events And Shinies I dont have,DW
    Females.

Willing To Offer:Events that I have,Shinies that I have,likeSatoshi's Reshiram,NOK Rayquaza,
    Shiny Groudon and many more.

Feel free to PM Me asking what I have,or What you are looking for.

CaptainGarchomp

Welcome, CaptainGarchomp! Stegosaurus is one of my favorite ornithischians! I've added you to the member list. What's your opinion of Microraptor gui and its leg feather orientation? Microraptor is one of my favorite dinosaurs, and as for the leg-wings, I think they looked like this: http://www.cmnh.org/site/Img/AboutUs...icroraptor.jpg
    Author thread post:

Meh, I don't really pay much attention to prehistoric creatures that lived after the Permian.
    Last edited by Hypno12; 2nd January 2012 at 9:54 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123