Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Community POTW #50

Since my main strategy is Baton Pass why not do same thing with this thing.
    After stat boost from whatever,
    Passing By: Unburden ADAMANT
    Air Balloon
    128HP 252ATK 128SPEED
    HJK/CLOSE Combat
    Blaze Kick
    Stone Edge/Earthquake
    Pursuit
    With Air Balloon it will avoid spikes and T spikes for safety the drill is to get boost and gets hit to Blow the Air Balloon for Unburden usage.
    I do same thing with Sceptile with no Speed EV since Sceptile is naturally fast (Tail Glow Pass). The Plus it has Giga Drain which is a bonus for HP recovery while Hitmonlee does not have Drain Punch
    Nambiri

Here's a little fun fact when using Reckless hitmonlee.

With Reckless and STAB, it will reach almost 220 power. If it's not very effective, it'll be 110 power. Stone Edge and Earthquake will have to be super effective in order to do more damage.

If you are using Reckless, always use Hi Jump Kick on something a coverage move isn't super effective against. Bolded so that Reno brings this up in the POTW.
    Unburden sucks. Use Reckless and bomb everything with Hi Jump Kick. Throw Rapid Spin on and you have yourself an offensive Spinner.
    I think Unburden is good for the Fake Out/Normal Gem, along with SubLeichi. Reckless would probably be better on most other sets, though.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Hitmonlee@Normal Gem
    adamant nature
    max atk and speed
    ABILITY: UNBURDEN

fake out
    hi jump kick
    blaze kick
    earthquake

use fake out (like a boss), then your speed is doubled since you used your item. Now go in for the kills.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

Looking for more secret bases! Message me your QR code, and I'll send you back mine.

Looking for that extremespeed linoone with adamant or jolly (when it comes out). If you're gonna get one, I'd appreciate it. I can clone it if needed.
    I'm willing to sell my soul for it

STAB Conundrums - Hitmonlee Edition
    Hitmonlee has access to some incredible Moves. When it comes to STAB, HJK is unmatched for power. However, 90% accuracy and 50% recoil on a miss can deter many a player if they keep getting psychologically scarred by it. Ghost Types entering on a good prediction will guarantee 'lee becomes a cracked glass cannon.

Even if you go for the more reliable Close Combat, you may also run into Pranksters who throw up a Sub and toss Status Effects at you like a monkey with so much poo. In this rare, yet possible, case, Double Kick can hit through a Sub, but is far less reliable on power.

Countering Hitmonlee
    Learning what you'll meet is key:
    -Fake Out will barely faze Inner Focus Pokemon like Crobat, Lucario, and non-DW Dragonite and will also aid Steadfast Pokemon like Gallade and, again, Lucario. However, most will only have 1 chance to 1-shot Unburden 'lee.
    -Pranksters with Substitute up before 'lee enters and Status Effects in their arsenal will screw with Unburden 'lee.
    -Reckless-HJK is rendered useless against Ghost Types. Pressure is available to 3 of them, making HJK and Close Combat less viable in the long term due to 10 and 5 PP, respectively.
    -Cof' has immunity to 'lee's STAB and Fake Out. Add high Defense and it can wear 'lee down hard.
    -Trick Room can bog Unburden 'lee down. Your potentially-600 Speed becomes the absolute lowest Speed in a Trick Room situation. Slowbro, Eviolite-clops, Dusknoir, Heatproof-EQ-Imprison-Bronzong, Claydol, and Cof' are the most likely to do so against 'lee due to high Defense and neutral-or-better resistance to 'lee's STAB.

Ah, Hitmonlee. Interesting.

Other options
    Double edge comes from third gen. Though it doesn't seem legal, tyrogue can learn it. And rarely, the ability will shift when evolved, at a 10% rate,(I actually did it.) meaning that it can get reckless and double edge, a 144 power move, with reckless. However, seeing that it relies on a sash a lot of the time, the only time you could use it was without one.
    Mega kick is a mega kick in the face. Low accuracy, but you could use that as a filler on a gravity team... Though that will also force you not to use HJK. Like I said-filler.
    Sucker punch is another great option made by many. Sadly, illegal with unburden. Although, it does make an awesome surprise hit that people won't expect, as most will be used to unburden now.

Counters
    Bulky physical walls. Amolamola. Even evolite pokes like Gligar and Shelgon wall it.
    Apparently, I can't claim Larvesta. But who cares?
    It's still the cutest bug eva!

I am The Grovyle, that friend in a high place.

The craziest battle I ever had- Toxic spikes supported baton passing team, with a Splashing Wailord. And won. You have to try it!

I used to use this set as an RU Rapid Spinner. Pretty fun stuff.

Hitmonlee@Life Orb
    Jolly
    Reckless
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
    Moves:
    -Hi Jump Kick
    -Stone Edge
    -Rapid Spin
    -Foresight

Reckless Hi Jump Kick really does hit like a nuke. I'm not even kidding. Stone Edge synergizes fantastically. I used to run Sucker Punch to hit Ghosts that try to block Rapid Spin, but I found it a waste of time since they usually burn first and ask questions later, making Sucker Punch useless. Hitting them with Foresight on the switch and knocking them out with Hi Jump Kick is far more effective 9 out of 10 times.

Hitmonlee@Shell Bell/Leftovers
    Adamant/Jolly - Reckless - 252 Spe/252 Atk/4 HP
    -Hi Jump Kick
    -Foresight/Bulk Up
    -Double Kick/Sucker Punch
    -Stone Edge/Earthquake

A twist on the classic Hitmonlee set. This one takes full advantage of Reckless with a set carefully played to keep him alive and kicking for the duration of the battle. Hi Jump Kick is his signature move, and with Reckless, it's gonna hurt like a Stoutland(F). Because of this predictable move, the opponent won't hesitate to switch in their Ghost type. To counter this, you have the option of using Bulk Up or Foresight, the latter inspired by the tricky Hitmontop set back in 4th Gen UU. Bulk Up to boost your Atk considerably so that you can nail Ghosts with Sucker Punch. Foresight will make Ghosts vulnerable to your Fight STAB, which WILL hurt even Cofagrigus considerably. Double Kick is stupid. But it's a Sub Breaker utility move so it has merit. Stone Edge is your last move to hit Flying and Bug types with it, while Earthquake hits Poison Types that resist your Fighting move.

Hitmonlee@Lum Berry
    Adamant - Unburden - 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
    -Hi Jump Kick
    -Foresight
    -Stone Edge
    -Blaze Kick/Double Kick

A different way to play with Unburden. Unburden Hitmonlee is extremely fragile to status and Ghosts. Because of this, Foresight makes a reappearance again as it invaluably removes the Ghost's immunity to Hi Jump Kick. If you Foresight a Ghost on the switch, you can then proceed to blast them with Hi Jump Kick. Status users like Dusclops or Cofagrigus will make Hitmonlee's job even easier as you can 2HKO them with HJK while they foolishly Burn you with Will-o-Wisp, activating Lum Berry, activating Unburden.

Hitmonlee can also act as a back up sweeper when your team needs it. Switch in on a status and then sweep with that speed.

Counters and checks: Of the pokemon out there, Weezing is the prime check to Hitmonlee, resisting his STAB, immunity to Earthquake, and massive Defense renders Stone Edge and Blaze Kick useless against him while he can burn him back with Will-o-wisp. Sableye can counter Hitmonlee considerably if he switches in on a HJK and then Trick a Scarf on him if Hitmonlee didn't already kill himself. Tricking a Scarf will render him incapable of activating Unburden, although why you would give him a boosting speed item like Choice Scarf...scratch that. Trick a Specs onto him and he's useless.
    Last edited by Black Murder Heavangelon; 14th December 2011 at 7:19 AM.

Limber: Not bad, not good. Useful in sweeper set
    Reckless: Suicide??? Use this!
    Unburden: So far the best ability of hitmotlee.

Typical Sweeping Set
    @Life Orb / Focus Sash / White Herb
    Limber / Unburden / Reckless
    Adamant / Jolly [ 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP ]
    - Hi Jump Kick / Close Combat
    - Blaze Kick / Mega Kick
    - Stone Edge
    - Sucker Punch* / Earthquake

Hi Jump Kick hits hard but recoils you. Close Combat is an alternative but decrease your defensive stat but you can use it with White Herb and it abused Unburden. Blaze Kick hits hard, have high-critical ratio and may burn your opponent. Mega Kick hurt even harder than Blaze Kick but have no side effect. Stone Edge for Staraptor and Sigyliph that will try to wall you. Sucker Punch hit Alakazam while Earthquake is a coverage.

Bulk Up
    @Salac Berry / Leichi Berry / Starf Berry
    Limber / Unburden
    - Bulk Up
    - Blaze Kick / Mega Kick / Stone Edge
    - Stone Edge / Substitute

All moves were explained above except Bulk Up and Substitute. Bulk Up raises Attack and also make you bulkier while Substitute for boosting and also to abuse Unburden.

Choice
    @ Choice Band / Scarf
    Reckless / Limber
    - Blaze Kick / Mega Kick
    - Stone Edge
    - Sucker Punch* / Earthquake

Just like Sweeping Set, except you will not abuse Unburden.

Note: * are not possible with Unburden

Countering
    Since Hitmonlees lack in Defense, Psyshock user kills him. Also, Trick Room ruins him since he uses Unburden.

^Don't use Close Combat on the Bulk Up set, your defense boost will be going to waste. Use High Jump Kick instead. While you're at it, Reckless is a good idea to make it stronger on that set.

Why give 252 speed to a Unburden Hitmonlee? All it needs to out speed Jolly Accelgor after a Fake out is like, 40 EVs with Adamant nature.

You can contribute to it's lacklustre HP with the remaining EVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Striker X View Post
    Why give 252 speed to a Unburden Hitmonlee? All it needs to out speed Jolly Accelgor after a Fake out is like, 40 EVs with Adamant nature.

You can contribute to it's lacklustre HP with the remaining EVs.
    Choice Scarf is a popular item.

I guess you could put more in HP, but at least keep some speed EVs.

Overview:

Hitmonlee, the Kicking pokemon, this pokemon has been around from the start. Overall, it's like many other pokemon, it has great attack and special defense. It's other stats thought, well let's not go to their abyssmal numbers. Basically, it's a fighting glass cannon that hits hard, fast, and dies off when the opponent realizes that priority moves will do it in.

Abilities:

Limber- Prevents paralysis on Hitmonlee, but is a horrible ability for it. No one even uses thunder wave or glare that much, and moves like discharge, thunderbolt, etc. will kill it off if you try to switch in.

Reckless- Hitmonlee's second best ability as moves with recoil damage will get a power boost at the cost of more recoil damage. Ideal for high jump kick, double-edge, and jump kick. But, you'll probably only be using high jump kick to do mass damage anyway.

Unburden- Doubles Hitmonlee's speed once it uses it's hold item giving it three great stats...wait, GAMEFREAK had the idea to improve a gen 1 pokemon! This is just sweet, once this ability is released the term glass cannon is promoted to glass rocket.

FakeLee

-Fake Out
    -Blaze Kick/Stone Edge/Earthquake
    -Endure
    -Reversal
    Nature: Adament
    Ability: Unburden
    Ev's: 252 att, 212 HP, 40 spe
    Item: Normal Gem

Basically, Fake Out is to get you the first hit and activate Unburden which will be your bread and butter. Afterwards, being the frail pokemon it is endure will get it to the necessary 1HP to max Reversal and do mass damage. The other move is so ghost types don't get the switch and stop your sweep. Blaze Kick hits the likes of skarmory, while Stone Edge and Earthquake have a variety of coverage.

BruceMonlee

-High Jump Kick
    -Blaze Kick
    -Sucker Punch/Mach Punch/Bullet Punch
    -Double Edge
    Nature: Jolly/Adament
    Item: Life Orb/Liechi Berry
    Ability: Reckless
    Ev's: 252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 Spd

Here the Bruce Lee imitating mon is going to cause more car wrecks than the blues brothers and that was unintentional. High Jump Kick gets massive STAB and gains Reckless and Life Orb boosts to boot. Blaze Kick is your way of dealing with dual poison/grass types and the like as well as Skarmory. Double-Edge is boosted as well by Life Orb. Sucker Punch is for priority because who isn't going to launch an attack on the glass cannon, really? Mach Punch and Bullet Punch are there to act as priority if you don't like Sucker Punch. Liechi Berry should be used if you want the mon to be faster without the mass recoil it may inflict.

Double/Triple Battles:
    Oh the pokemanity why would you use Hitmonlee in doubles or triples? It's so frail that earthquake will drop it faster than lee dropped norris. Plus, fake can only make one pokemon flinch for one...count it ONE time. If your going to use it, then have tailwind up, use the BruceMonlee set and go happy with you high jump kicks because it won't last long in that environemt. Sorry lee, stick to the singles matches kid.

Counters:
    Where to start? Well, let's see ghost types can easily stop the mojo gained by unburden if you don't have proper coverage. Priority can also be a problem as it is frail defensively and mach punch and extremespeed would do some damage. Will-O-Wisp also cripples the offensive of Hitmonlee, so tying in with ghosts, Ninetails seems like it falls into crippling it or any burn effective move. Trick Room can also offset Hitmonlee because while it's not the fastest, there are things slower than it that are way more dangerous: Reuniclus, Elektross, etc.

Partners:
    Let's see... ANYTHING to get rid of the listed above. A pokemon with flash fire will ruin any attempt to cripple Hitmonlee. So, effective partners would be Heatran, Arcanine, Chandelure, or Ninetailes. For the reckless sets either tailwind support would be appreciated as its speed does not help it's case. Thunderous, Tornadus, or Whimsicott can be used to set up tailwind with prankster.
    Thanks, to the awesome artist of our clan, Team Nightmare, zek4040 for this AMAZING banner.

Leader of Pokemon Online's Scripted Server Tournaments channel

Pokemon Online is now on Android: http://pokemon-online.eu/pages/download/

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Choice Scarf is a popular item.

I guess you could put more in HP, but at least keep some speed EVs.
    I would like to point out that Unburden increases your speed by 2x, while Choice Scarf only increases it by 1.5x.
    "Open your mouth too wide, and your ears close."

Do you wish you could do things like in the anime?
    Do you wish you could dodge behind a rock to avoid an attack?
    Do you wish that you could use the arena to stop your opponents cold?
    If you answered yes to any of those questions, the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League could be for you!

^I know, but it's still best to invest in some speed. I've seen timid scarf Latios and Gengar multiple times before, it reaches 525 speed. To outrun it, you'd need at least 263 speed(with unburden, that's 526).

With and adamant nature, that would be 212 speed EVs.

Let's say that it's a scarf, jolly base 100 speed pokemon(Hydreigon is a little slower, but it's common and close enough) that you're facing. That would mean it has 492 speed. To outrun that with an adamant nature, you need 247 speed(496 after boost). That's less EVs, but you'll still need 148 speed EVs to outrun that.

Or, are you going to give it jolly just so you can move some from speed to bulk? If you do that, you be sacrificing a good amount of power.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 16th December 2011 at 3:48 AM.

This is probably more Hitmontop's area but since we've all seen the fake out unburden set I'm bringing up this one

Kicks as fast as Lightning
    Hitmonlee@Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs 252 atk/252 hp/4 sp def

Fake Out
    Mach Punch
    Bullet Punch
    Sucker Punch

Basically he's a revenge killer and since he has all priority moves you don't really need speed evs
    How would you like your WALL today, unbelievably tough or OH MY GOD JUST DIE!!!?

^I'd swap Bullet Punch for something like Close Combat, fighting already hits a lot of the things steel does.

Choice Band
    Hitmonlee
    Jolly/Adamant Nature
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    -Hi Jump Kick
    -Sucker Punch
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake

STAB and coverage (ghost, psychic, flying, fire, bug, poison etc.)

Guess What? SPECS BLUE FLARE IN THE SUN TO DA FACE!
    Huh? What is this dark sorcery?!

Hitmonlee...
    The best thing this pokemon do is the combination of HJK or JK and reckless... They are recoil moves but only recoil if they don't hit and they have 90% and 95% accuracy respectively. They won't recoil much often and still get the reckless boost! Sweet!
    On other hand, the unburden, priority move plus an appropriate gem combo is good too cz this pokemon have speed issues that this strategy helps to get rid of it. it will double your 87 Base speed wich is good. The factor that switching out will reset the speed is not really a problem cz you're not going to survive long anyways.
    Since unburden is a DW ability only it might not be available to your hitmonlee so reckless is the better ability. 87 speed is not that bad but unfortunately it means that you'll be outrun by many pokemon and yet you're not slow enough to be effective under trick room. But with some speed invested IVs and a speed boosting nature and using priority moves can overcome this problem.

Hitmonlee@Life orb
    Nature: Adamant / Jolly
    Evs: 252 ATT/ 252 SPD/ 4 Sp DEF
    Moves:
    -HJK / JK
    -Earthquake / Blaze kick
    -Bulk up / Endure
    -Pursuit / Thief / Bullet punch / Reversal
    For this set, It's probably to have a jolly hitmonlee just to make it hit faster cz it will not last too much in battle. HJK and JK is what you favor accuracy or power but in my oppinion 5% additional accuracy are not worth the 30 BP loss not counting STAB. Earthquake is there for being a good physical move and blaze kick for better coverage specialy against levitating ghosts. If you have the courage to set up use bulk up it will raise attack and defense making it bulkier but if you think that hitmonlee is too fragile to set up safely use endure, it will be a surprise if your opponent thinks that he have KOed you! You'll get an extra turn to do damage with reversal but it needs some prediction. Hitmonlee have some descent disruptive options: Pursuit for fleeing pokemon, Thief for incapacitating a sweeper or a tank (Virtually any pokemon that relies on it's item) and bullet punch is a sweet priority move.

Hitmonlee@life orb
    Ability: Limber
    Nature: adamant / Jolly
    Evs: 252 ATT / 252 SPD/ 4 Sp DEF
    Moves:
    -Brick break / Close combat / Mach punch
    -Bulk up / Endure
    -Earthquake / Blaze kick
    -Thief / Pursuit / Reversal
    Same as the above set with the main difference being the fighting type move you want to use. Since you don't have reckless HJK and JK are not that appealing. Brick break is reliable and have good power and have the potential to remove the screens from your opponent side os the field, very handy. Close combat is strong and reliable but have the downside effect of lowering the pokemon's defense and special defense. This is easily reset by simply switching out, but, if you decide not to switch out is also not an issue since these pokemon are not made to be defensively inclined. Mach punch have priority... always handy but adamant here will be your nature to choose!

Hitmonlee@normal gem / steel gem
    Nature: Adamant / Careful
    Evs: 252 ATT / 252 Sp DEF / 4 HP
    Moves:
    -Fake out / Bullet punch
    -Close combat / Brick break
    -Earthquake / Blaze kick
    -Rock slide / Stone edge / Pursuit / Thief
    Since speed will be doubled after using a priority move, investing Evs in speed or choosing a speed raising nature is useless. Go for adamant if you like more power or careful if you want it bulkier in the special side. (Adamant is better). So fake out, double your speed and then sweep. Close combat is amazing lowering your defenses isn't an issue for hitmonlee, but if you are using careful go with brick break much weaker but reliable and can remove screens. EQ is strong reliable and perfect but blaze kick save you from levitating ghosts. In this particular set I like to use EQ with rock slide or stone edge cz you'll be hitting a lot of things with super effective damage and ground/rock have perfect coverage. You still can, if you used blaze kick, to use thief or pursuit on your last slot to destroy a sweeper or any other pokemon!

Hitmonlee's main weakness is it's Low HP and defense meaning that it will die to any priority physical move or to a stronger faster sweeper!
    Last edited by Rayofquazar; 18th December 2011 at 1:41 AM.

Personal Moveset
    Unburden w/ Lum Berry OR Limber w/ Muscle Band/Choice Band
    Hi Jump Kick/Close Combat/Brick Break/Low Sweep
    Blaze Kick
    Earthquake/Bulldoze/Poison Jab
    Rock Tomb/Stone Edge/Rock Slide

Countering
    Direct Contact-based Abilities, like Flame Body and Cute Charm are useful here.
    Any Bug/Flying/Ghost/Poison/Psychic-type with flying or psychic-type moves and is high on defense, attack, and maybe speed like Dragonite, Heracross, Durant, Leavanny, Gliscor, and Charizard. If Trick Room is used, Metagross, Escavalier, Scizor, Golurk, Dusknoir, and Spritomb are also included.
    Burn-based attacks and Abilites, like Scald and Will-o-wisp, are useful.
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 18th December 2011 at 5:30 AM. Reason: Additional Details
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    ^I'd swap Bullet Punch for something like Close Combat, fighting already hits a lot of the things steel does.
    Actually, Bullet Punch hits the exact same things, but Close Combat gets more SE coverage.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Sorry, I have no time, so I'll be doing the sets without explainations.

A hitmonlee set:

Nature: Adamant
    Item: Normal Gem
    EV's: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP

Moves:
    Fake Out
    Brick Break
    Pursuit/Thief
    Blaze Kick/Stone Edge

Another hitmonlee set: