Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #51

Delibird: The bird that even Articuno laughs at competitively...

Delibird Packs a Punch Light Tap!
    Delibird@Power Herb
    Adamant
    Hustle
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    Moves:
    -Sky Attack
    -Focus Punch
    -Ice Shard
    -Fake Out

Watch Delibird switch in and get free damage with a Fake Out! Then, your opponent will cower in fear as you hit them hard with Sky Attack and/or Focus Punch! Finally, if they bring in something that outspeeds you (that never happens, cuz Delibird is fast) you have a STAB priority in Ice Shard that can take them out. Delibird for Ubers!
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

You know, for GameFreak to deliberately screw a Pokemon is one thing, but to give it basically the same ability in the Dream World is a whole new level of idiocracy. Let's all give GameFreak a round of applause before I begin, shall we?

Delibird - The Delivery Pokemon

General Overview

Typing-
    Well, Ice/Flying isn't all that great offensively, but there is worse. Sure you have STAB that can hit Dragon, Grass, Fighting, Ground, Flying, and Bug super-effectively, but most of these types are paired up with something to make them neutral against Delibird's STAB moves. Defensively, we have an immunity to both Toxic and regular Spikes, but a massive x4 weakness to Stealth Rock. We also carry weaknesses to Electric, Fire, Steel, and Rock type moves, which is a fair portion of moves in the NU tier with such high prevalences of Fire and Rock types.

Abilities-
    Vital Spirit is a fairly decent ability, preventing you from falling asleep. Has an ingame effect, but nothing much else going on here.
    Hustle is probably Delibird's best option for a Choice Band set, as his high-accuracy moves will get a much needed bost damage wise.
    Insomnia proves that those working at GameFreak are lacking something mentally. Delibird, a fairly useless Pokemon that could use something to boost it's usefulness, already has a very similar ability in Vital Spirit. If you prefer it over Vital Spirit, go ahead and use it.

Stats-
    And you thought Luvdisc had mediocre stats. Delibird's whopping 330 stat total is tied with Aron, Zorua, Finneon, Luvdisc, and a few other NFE or NU fodder Pokemon. It's base 45/45/45 HP and defences mean that Stealth Rock alone is enough to basically cripple this Pokemon, Arceus forbid the opponent have a priority move to pick off Delibird. Offensively, this Pokemon gets very little blessing either, having base 55/65/75 Attack stats and Speed. Choice Band or Choice Specs. are almost a must here if you're to do any real damage to an opponent.

Learnset-
    By level, don't even get me started. Present is a horrible move as it is. Platinum however, was a blessing to this Pokemon in serious need of one, giving it access to moves such as Seed Bomb, Signal Beam, SKy Attack, and Gunk Shot, as we all know Bayleaf needs a strong Poison move used against it in order fend it off. Avalance is the only "okay" move that came as a TM in Generation IV. It gets Ice Beam, Water Pulse, Focus Punch, Aerial Ace, and Brick Break as regular TMs. Not much to work with here. Dream World gave it Ice Shard, which gives it some usability but already had through breeding, and breeding gave it Fake Out, Ice Punch, Rapid Spin, and Aurora Beam. Still not much to work with.

Sets

My Christmas Choice (Special)

Delibird@Choice Specs
    Vital Spirit / Insomnia
    Timid/Modest Nature
    4 HP / 252 Sp.A / 252 Spe
    -Ice Beam
    -Signal Beam
    -Water Pulse
    -Hidden Power Electric

It's not the ideal set for the Christmas Penguin, but it's somewhat okay for the surprise factor. Ice Beam is Delibird's best STAB, and hits things like Bellossom and Butterfree, while nabbing a KO on some Ground types in NU. Water Pulse hist pesky Fire and Rock types, albeit leaving Delibird in on them usually isn't a smart idea. Signal Beam hits Absol and basically anything the previous two moves don't. The last move, Hidden Power Electric, completes the pseudo Bolt-Beam combo, basically completing the coverage. Regardless, the Special Attacking moves of Delibird are limited, and this set really has nothing going for it but the surprise factor. If Hustle works with Special Attack too, use it in place of the two other abilities, but if not, just run one of them.

Unwrapping the Gift of Choice (Physical)

Delibird@Choice Band / Choice Scarf
    Hustle
    Jolly / Adamant Nature
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    -Ice Punch
    -Brick Break / Focus Punch
    -Seed Bomb
    -Aerial Ace

With some better attacking options, Delibird is a better Physical "sweeper" than it would be a Special "sweeper". Ice Punch and Aerial Ace are STAB moves that allow it to hit Dragon, Grass, Fighting, Ground, Flying, and Bug Types super-effectively. Seed Bomb adds to the coverage, hitting stray Water and Rock Types, while Brick Break hits Ice and Steel Types. Brick Break is a better option over Focus Punch in this case, as having been choice'd, a set-up attack such as Focus Punch isn't as reliable except against a well-predicted set-up Pokemon. Probably Delibird's best set.

Revenge Killer of the Century

Delibird@Life Orb
    Hustle
    Adamant Nature
    -Ice Shard
    -Quick Attack
    -Fake Out
    -Focus Punch

If you have a weakened team, fear this Pokemon. It will end your team. Seriously. It'll come in and Use Fake Out, then abuse either Quick Attack or Ice Shard and end whatever chances that said Pokemon had of completing a sweep. Focus Punch is there for the aware player that expects a Fake Out only to take Delibird's strongest move to the face, and then get picked off by Ice Shard or Quick Attack. Purely surprise factor, but might actually be viable specificly as a Revenge-Killer. Gettin' swept by Delibird.

Additional Comments

Rapid Spin support is a must with Delibird, as Stealth Rock is it's biggest threat. Baton Passing it a few Swords Dances and Speed Boosts from a Ninjask is a fairly decent idea. If you're looking to beat a Delibird, get help. If you need to look, quit Pokemon altogether, as so much beats Delibird without trying, it's not even funny. You could throw it on a team with a Snover, but Delibird isn't really worth the team slot. Too bad GameFreak had to drop the ball on this one.

I saw someone bring up the protect/endure combo earlier, but that doesn't work in gen 5. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemazter3001 View Post
    If you have a weakened team, fear this Pokemon. It will end your team. Seriously.
    This is easily the most intelligent quote in the whole thread.
    Revenge Killer of the Century

Delibird@Life Orb
    Hustle
    Adamant Nature
    -Ice Shard
    -Quick Attack
    -Fake Out
    -Focus Punch

If you have a weakened team, fear this Pokemon. It will end your team. Seriously. It'll come in and Use Fake Out, then abuse either Quick Attack or Ice Shard and end whatever chances that said Pokemon had of completing a sweep. Focus Punch is there for the aware player that expects a Fake Out only to take Delibird's strongest move to the face, and then get picked off by Ice Shard or Quick Attack. Purely surprise factor, but might actually be viable specificly as a Revenge-Killer. Gettin' swept by Delibird.
    I'd personally use aerial ace as the last option, that's Delibird's most reliable move(what an amazing movepool!).

Counters

Magikarp comes in and KOs it with splash. Feebass and Hophip do this as well, but not with as much ease. Deoxys-Attack will wall it to heck, and luvdisc will use it to get +6 with agility.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Legends tell of a legendary warrior...

Whose abilities were the stuff of LEGEND...

...That was a panda, though. This is Delibird, whose time in battles has been about as successful as his attempt at a deli. Foot-longs, my foot!

Delibird is extraordinarily... Unique in his ability to have two abilities that do the exact same thing and have a natural move set that consists only of something with a chance of healing the opponent. He can also use a move that gives the opponent his item, assuming they don't have any item yet, becoming the terror of all Acrobatics users. Yessir, they can Frustration themselves all the way home after they're reduced to coal by Santa's birdy.

The best strategy with Delibird is... oh, heck with it. DOUBLE TEAM. ATTRACT. TOXIC. The only dang way you're ever going to win with this santa m'n is pure hax. Heck, here's a set:

Who said Delibird sucks?
    Delibird@ Focus Sash
    Ability: Insomnia/Vital Spirit
    Nature: Timid/Jolly
    EVs: Max HP, Max Speed, 4 Def.
    Attract
    Double Team
    Toxic
    Substitute/Mud Slap

Yep. The most uniquest set in all of Pokemons. It justifies intentionally poor grammar. It sucks so you don't have to! First off, you'll probably survive the first hit due to yer Focus Sash, so Attract the NU off of whatever you face. Prayer of your opponent being the opposite gender is essential, as well as them not having priority, or good luck, or a Minccino. That should be simple enough. When that for sure works, turn on the hax with Double Team. Aww, yeah. Use until you feel safe against whatever monstrosity you're obviously facing, y'know, Luvdisc, Unown, Farfetch'd, banes of Ubers. Then Toxic away, and laugh like an evil genius as their life drains before their eyes... Then either Substitute, on the off chance they won't eventually lucky and strike through their shield of impenetrability. Course, they won't! This force you have raised is far better than Superman's fortress of solitude! Considering the unlikelyness of this happening, you can probably consider yourself safe with Mud-Slap to smack those foolish Poisons/Steels/Taunters right upside their ugly mugs and lower their accuracy at the same time!

Really though, Delibird sucks like the S is for Sucks Dragon. Don't use it unless the Delibird who feeds you on Mount Everest blackmails you into it.

Double Team is banned.

copy + paste 4th generation Deliberd Pokémon of the week

The little guy needs an evolution.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Delibird is one of the few Pokemon that could use Wonderguard and not be completely broken.

Delibird @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Vital Spirit
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Rest
    - Bestow
    - Substitute
    - Rapid Spin

This POTW is fail. Meh, I made another idiot sets. Rest is combined with Vital Spirit. So, Delibird can't be dead (o yea?). Bestow to throw away the Choice Scarf into bulky mons. Subs can combined well with Rest and Vital Spirit too. Rapid Spin to Spin away the entry hazard.
    ♠ ♣ ♦ ♥

Quote Originally Posted by TheSuperZekrom View Post
    Delibird @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Vital Spirit
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Rest
    - Bestow
    - Substitute
    - Rapid Spin

This POTW is fail. Meh, I made another idiot sets. Rest is combined with Vital Spirit. So, Delibird can't be dead (o yea?). Bestow to throw away the Choice Scarf into bulky mons. Subs can combined well with Rest and Vital Spirit too. Rapid Spin to Spin away the entry hazard.
    Oh, I forgot about that.

Since it's rock weak, it should have an uneven amount of HP. That way, it can come in on rocks more....assuming Delibird doesn't die first writhing in agony from a Luvdisc tackle.

Looks like we're getting nothing but coal for Christmas...too bad Torkoal has probably eaten it already...

"You'd Better Not Pout, You'd Better Not Cry...You'll Probably Shoot Your Eye Out, & I'm Telling You Why..."
    Stats: Naughty/Lonely, max Speed & split attacks or Max attacks & rest Speed/HP
    Ability: Hustle
    Item: Sticky Barb
    Moves: Swift (4th Gen), Focus Punch (4th Gen), Aerial Ace, Blizzard

Basically, you're praying for Physical Contact to stick it to 'em as an insult for your injury. If you survive, your Moves won't miss (in-Hail only when using Blizzard), though only Aerial Ace and Focus Punch benefit from Hustle.

Actually, Hail as a Move may not be so bad for Delibird...

"I'm...Dreaming...of a White...OW! OW! OW! TAKE SHELTER!!!"
    Stats: Jolly, Max Speed and Attack, rest HP
    Item: Icy Rock
    Ability: Vital Spirit/Insomnia
    Moves: Fake Out, Hail, Toxic, Swagger

Basically, Fake Out and throw something out, preferrably Hail against a non-Ice Type and Toxic or Swagger against any Ice Types to discourage them.

^Why use hail when Snover is allowed in every tier? And hustle doesn't work well with swift, it only raises physical attacks, not special.

Though with hustle, Jolly-natured Delibird actually reaches a decent attack stat of 313, and 469 with a choice band. Not really bad. It's only problem is that it's terribly outclassed, poor speed, awful defenses, a x4 stealth rock weakness, horrendous typing, and a 20% chance to miss most of it's moves. Better then the top-threats spinda and luvdisc, even.

Delibird is really outclassed by Frosty the Snow Golem, though.

There most of been some magic in that old battle helm the found,
    For when they put it on his head, he destroyed everything around!
    Delibird is one of the few Pokemon that could use Wonderguard and not be completely broken.
    So true it's not even funny....Oh, wait, it is funny. That's what all these exaggerations and sarcasm are for.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 20th December 2011 at 12:58 PM.

I'm not even gonna waste my time explaining Delibird. We all know how much it sucks. And what the frick was Gamefreak thinking? WHY IN THE WORLD DOES ITS HIDDEN ABILITY DO THE EXACT SAME THING AS ONE OF ITS NORMAL ABILITIES???

Quote Originally Posted by ClefairyRox View Post
    I'm not even gonna waste my time explaining Delibird. We all know how much it sucks. And what the frick was Gamefreak thinking? WHY IN THE WORLD DOES ITS HIDDEN ABILITY DO THE EXACT SAME THING AS ONE OF ITS NORMAL ABILITIES???
    Because Santa doesn't sleep, watching all the kids in the world is a tiring job, especially since they all live in time zones, Santa never gets time to sleep. He needs that ability twice in order to stay awake that whole time.

Gamefreak claims all pokemon are equal, and then makes ones like Delibird....Among one of the worst competitive pokemon of them all, and is also pretty bad in game. They didn't even try to make it good.
    Legends tell of a legendary warrior...

Whose abilities were the stuff of LEGEND...

...That was a panda, though. This is Delibird, whose time in battles has been about as successful as his attempt at a deli. Foot-longs, my foot!
    Kong-Fu Spinda.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    I saw someone bring up the protect/endure combo earlier, but that doesn't work in gen 5. Just saying.
    Huh, really? Why is that?

* checks definition of Endure over at another site *

The user is left with at least 1 HP following any attacks for one turn, but the move's success rate halves with each consecutive use of Protect, Detect or Endure.
    Oh. Oh, darn. Delibird can't even be a troll. FAIL. I'll go change my post right now.

So much for me being of any help this POTW.
    I'm thinking about creating a printer-friendly Pokédex guidebook for Black and White versions. Let me know what you think about it here.

This set shall overcentralize the metagame:

@ Choice Band
    Hustle
    Adamant
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 Def
    Moves:
    - Ice Shard
    - Quick Attack
    - Ice Punch
    - Sky Attack

CB + Hustle + STAB Ice Shard makes Delibird the bane of dragons and an effective all round revenge killer too. Quick attack is additional priority for types that Ice is NVE on, such as water. If you're up against a slower opponent you have a choice of Delibird's 2 powerful STABs, Sky Attack and Ice Punch.

Merry Christmas, Everyone!
    Hey Serebii, how you doing? Not sure how many of you guys from way back are out there, but just to let you know that I'm back, though I'm not sure how regularly I'll be on. Thanks for everything, and I hope I can continue to enjoy my time here!

3DS Friend Code: 2105 - 8928 - 6860

Looking for any breedable flawless Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
    Delibird isn't eligible for Little Cup, because it doesn't have an evolution.
    Who says you need an evolution to be in little cup? Seriously, I sometimes screw foes with level five Scizors cause I can.

I get your point, but at the same time Delibird isn't meant for the evolite even if it did have an evolution. It's defenses are pathetic. Stick with Life orb, choice, sash, berries or even wide lens. They all work too. (Just Oran instead of sitrus in the little cup, ok?)

Other options
    Focus punch can be a great move if used with a sub. And speaking of that...
    Sub-roost is a classic to any bird, that can learn it.
    Rapid spin if you need it...
    Hail. For a second hail support... I know it sounds lame, but who knows?
    Fake out is something not mentioned.
    Although this next one isn't meant for competitive play much any more, Future sight can be used for switches or a powerful special move.
    Apparently, I can't claim Larvesta. But who cares?
    It's still the cutest bug eva!

I am The Grovyle, that friend in a high place.

The craziest battle I ever had- Toxic spikes supported baton passing team, with a Splashing Wailord. And won. You have to try it!

Deliberd @ muscle band
    Nature Jolly
    Ability Hustle
    Evs 252 atk 252 spd 6 hp
    Sky Attack
    Seed Bomb
    Ice Punch
    Gunk Shot

Tough though, because you need to breed/raise it in 4th Gen, the migrate it up (3/4 moves are 4th gen only, 1 is an egg move) Totally worth it though. this is definitely the deliberd to go with

^Gunk Shot does not mix well with Hustle. Use aerial ace.

And sky attack is only good with a power herb.
    Who says you need an evolution to be in little cup? Seriously, I sometimes screw foes with level five Scizors cause I can.
    Erm, the rules do.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 21st December 2011 at 1:36 AM.

Default Merry christmas

Delibird looks like Santa. It's a combination of Delivery and Bird. It's cuuuuute!

It's good for breeding since in the Dream World it can learn Focus Punch, a now extinct TM in Black and White. It's also a Field Pokemon so it can pass it onto a whole lot of dem Pokemons.

Other than that, it doesn't look that good... BUT LOOK AT IT! IT'S SO CUUUUUUTE!!! And it's given me so many good things in Pokemon Channel... :3

Delibird is probably much better in third gen. With a combination of being able to use Aerial Ace and Swift, both being Attack moves, and then with Hustle, you'd have pretty strong moves. It'd be like.... 135 for Aerial Ace and 90 for Swift.

Delibird
    Life Orb/Focus Sash
    Hustle
    Jolly
    252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Sp Def

Aerial Ace
    Avalanche/Focus Punch
    Substitute
    Roost

Aerial Ace gets a base power of 135 from STAB and Hustle. Avalanche gets a base power of 135 and if it gets hurt ((but it'll die if it does get hit. Probably... Which is where the Focus Sash comes in)) it'll have a base power of 270. Yay. That's as much as a Zweilous using Outrage. Focus Punch works well with Substitute... Not so much with Delibird... Then Roost heals. Yay. Okay, all done.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 21st December 2011 at 1:46 AM.

Another set...

Wide Lens
    @Wide Lens
    Hustle
    Jolly / Adamant [ 252 ATK / 252 SPD / 4 HP]
    - Sky Attack
    - Ice Punch
    - Substitute
    - Roost

Simple. Sub-Roost then attack. Wide Lens raises the accuracy

If you don't have power herb, don't use sky attack. Use aerial ace, it won't ever miss, even with hustle, and it won't have to charge either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    ...hustle doesn't work well with swift, it only raises physical attacks, not special.
    Ahem...

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    ...though only Aerial Ace and Focus Punch benefit from Hustle.
    Not exactly a reader, are you? Plus, I mentioned Swift because it gets past the 20% accuracy cut. It's mostly filler.

Delibird @ Choice Band
    Trait: Hustle
    EVs: 16 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD/236 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    - Aerial Ace
    - Focus Punch/Brick Break/Seed Bomb
    - Ice Punch
    - Ice Shard

With this set, Delibird actually has a shot at dealing damage. STAB Aerial Ace, coming off an effective base 184 Attack stat, will hurt. Focus Punch is your best option for hurting Rocks and Steels, but is very prediction-heavy. You can use Brick Break instead, but the drop in power is very noticeable. Ice Punch is your other STAB move, dealing 96.4% - 113% to Bulky Dragon Dance Dragonite, counting Multiscale! Ice Shard is the final move on the set, dealing 63.2% - 74.3% to the offensive DDnite, even with Multiscale. The EVs outspeed standard Rotom-W, 72 Speed Gliscor, 32 Speed Jirachi, and max speed Tyranitar. Alternatively, you can run 252 Speed to tie with bulky Dragon Dance Dragonite before a Dragon Dance. Seed Bomb can be used over the Fighting move to deal massive damage to Gastrodon and friends, but the coverage is otherwise negligible.

To support Delibird, first thing is to Rapid Spin. Rapid Spin is mandatory for Delibird, as Rocks rip off half of its health upon switching in. Starmie is an excellent partner for this set. You'll also want Rocks on your opponent's side of the field, to net crucial KOs on bulkier things.

Rotom-W is the hard counter for this set. It resists his STAB combination, and can OHKO with its Volt Switch. When thinking of counters, keep in mind Delibird's ability, which makes all of his attacks on this set outside of Aerial Ace have Stone Edge's accuracy, making him far easier to counter.
    Last edited by The Imposter; 21st December 2011 at 1:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magikarprules View Post
    Delibird @ Choice Band
    Trait: Hustle
    EVs: 16 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD/236 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    - Aerial Ace
    - Focus Punch/Brick Break/Seed Bomb
    - Ice Punch
    - Ice Shard

With this set, Delibird actually has a shot at dealing damage. STAB Aerial Ace, coming off an effective base 184 Attack stat, will hurt. Focus Punch is your best option for hurting Rocks and Steels, but is very prediction-heavy. You can use Brick Break instead, but the drop in power is very noticeable. Ice Punch is your other STAB move, dealing 96.4% - 113% to Bulky Dragon Dance Dragonite, counting Multiscale! Ice Shard is the final move on the set, dealing 63.2% - 74.3% to the offensive DDnite, even with Multiscale. The EVs outspeed standard Rotom-W, 72 Speed Gliscor, 32 Speed Jirachi, and max speed Tyranitar. Alternatively, you can run 252 Speed to tie with bulky Dragon Dance Dragonite before a Dragon Dance. Seed Bomb can be used over the Fighting move to deal massive damage to Gastrodon and friends, but the coverage is otherwise negligible.

To support Delibird, first thing is to Rapid Spin. Rapid Spin is mandatory for Delibird, as Rocks rip off half of its health upon switching in. Starmie is an excellent partner for this set. You'll also want Rocks on your opponent's side of the field, to net crucial KOs on bulkier things.

Rotom-W is the hard counter for this set. It resists his STAB combination, and can OHKO with its Volt Switch. When thinking of counters, keep in mind Delibird's ability, which makes all of his attacks on this set outside of Aerial Ace have Stone Edge's accuracy, making him far easier to counter.

LOL Delibird in OU

your calculations sure are wrong delibird can't touch ANY OU pokemon.. especially dragonite base 184 attack stat? you mean like deoxys-A attack? that means... durant for UBERS!

I think you meant a 184 attack stat which is... nothing
    Last edited by Ilan; 21st December 2011 at 5:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    LOL Delibird in OU

your calculations sure are wrong delibird can't touch ANY OU pokemon.. especially dragonite base 184 attack stat? you mean like deoxys-A attack? that means... durant for UBERS!

I think you meant a 184 attack stat which is... nothing
    .. Hustle CB Delibird's attack is the same as a no item Poke with around 184 base attack. You are wrong, not him.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    .. Hustle CB Delibird's attack is the same as a no item Poke with around 184 base attack. You are wrong, not him.
    that akward moment when someone thinks they know everything and then are proved wrong...
    nice sig bh
    "Tch"-Levi Ackerman

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast