Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mean With Envy (392)

Just finished watching the episode. Very interesting, and there were quite a few points that I would have expected those who have seen it to bring up. XD I guess I'm the only one who things little things are important. Anyway, Bad Points first:

1) The animation and drawing style of the episode. Indeed, the Roxanne Episodes Team is back. >.> And it looks like they are doing the next episode too. I mean, seriously. They should save the Best Animation for episodes like these.

2) Toshiko. Or whatever the HELL his name was. I hate him. He's just... such a wimp. I don't see how Eriko-hime could be interested in such a guy. And he's hardly handsome. And what dress sense! Someone get Harley here on the DOUBLE.

Now for the Good Points, and various things I noticed which were good:

1) Eriko! What a uptight little b*tch. I love her. <3 She's like... a female version of me. Obsessive. And delusional. And certainly what I've been looking for in a female character, aside from Roxanne. (Who's my Number One Princess.) Stuck up, jealous and willing to push others aside and grab the glory to make herself look good. AND she even managed to make Jynx look like a good Pokemon. Her gushing over her reminds me of Harley, in some ways.

2) Wow. Is this the first time in AG that Team Rocket have performed their motto *without* the Motto Music playing in the background? Because in this episode they did. (The music used was evil sounding background music. NOT a new Team Rocket Motto Theme. :P)

3) Speaking of the Motto Music... the old one was also played in this episode! Yay! It was played during Jessie's entrance and her appeal with Mewoth, which was awesome. "HELL-O EV-ER-YBODY!" (She so sounded Russian. It's the hat, dammit! The hat!) And interestingly, the Giovanni Ice Statue had him holding a rose. Very interesting. (I mean, it's sooooooooooooo obviously Blueshipping evidence!)

4) Toshiko dying violently. Oh, that didn't actually happen. A pity. ;_;

Oh, and Chimecho went back to because useless. Yey! >.>

I'm not entirely sure why, but this episode just didn't tend to interest too much at all. It did have its moments scattered throughout, but overall it bored me to a certain extent. And I'm actually a little shocked at that, as I usually find contest episodes, even the customary 'intro to coordinator' ones, to be above average and a lot more enjoyable than most.
    I just thought the whole episode kinda progressed really slow and it didn't grab my interest at all.
    And the animation was just average at its best, which really made me want to turn away from this one.
    Although, when Combusken leap into the sky, slashing Team Rockets balloon...that was pretty damn awesome.
    And Skitty & Houndoom's combination of both Fire Spin and ShadowBall looked rather impressive.

On the bright side, Eriko was a pretty cool character. I didn't think much of her character design last week, but I've grown quite used to it. She constantly has a 'I'm so much better than thou' expression slapped across her face, and I really liked that.
    Funny that all the Gym Leaders are goody-goody, yet we can have a few contest participants who can be real jerks when it comes to getting their way. Which is good, because this means theres going to be a ruthless battle next Thursday evening.

And of course, Team Rocket were great fun in this episode. I still think that Jessie always seems to pull off the most impressive appeals compared to most of the other trainers taking part, and they're always unique. They usually have a real 'wow' factor to them. Houndoom's appeal was boring, and we've seen similar stuff to Jynx and Skitty's performances before~

Also, I agree with the comment about...um...green-haired-guy-that-Eriko-is-abnormally-obbsessed-with. Hell, even the freakin' random AIPOM KID was a better character than him....infact, the Aipom itself was better than him now that I think about it >.> Man, that Aipom so rocked, with its hand shaped tail and glee-filled smile.

And is it just me, or did Mr.Green-Hair's Houndoom sound almost identical to Fuu's Solrock? O_o;

jynx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    ...you haven't been paying much attantion to how the Pokémon Contests work in the animé I'm assuming? :P

The Grand Festival is basically the Contest equivelent to the Pokémon League. You need 5 Contest ribbons to be able to participate and compete to win the Robbon Trophy and title of expert Coordinator~
    Thats all there is to it really.
    :P You're right :P Never knew where to download AG episodes...

Oh I see...

jynx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    Just finished watching the episode. Very interesting, and there were quite a few points that I would have expected those who have seen it to bring up. XD I guess I'm the only one who things little things are important. Anyway, Bad Points first:

1) The animation and drawing style of the episode. Indeed, the Roxanne Episodes Team is back. >.> And it looks like they are doing the next episode too. I mean, seriously. They should save the Best Animation for episodes like these.

2) Toshiko. Or whatever the HELL his name was. I hate him. He's just... such a wimp. I don't see how Eriko-hime could be interested in such a guy. And he's hardly handsome. And what dress sense! Someone get Harley here on the DOUBLE.

>.>
    Agree!
    The animation in this epi is really bad.
    The clothes are badly designed too-____-|||
    I can't imagine someone wearing that on the street...

Shiny May Guest

First of all, don't double post !! Edit a post.

Secondly, a good ep. Nice to see Meowth in a contest and performing. That's somethign completely different which I like
    Also the girl is far more interesting then I expected when I looked at the preview. She trained her Jynx very well.
    Also Snorunt was very sweet in this ep with its constant firing ice beams. Gotta love the shot of Ash and his frozen head
    Overall a pretty good ep and I can't wait to see the next ep!

jynx Guest

I didn'tmean the epi was bad.
    I meant the annimation was bad.

(She so sounded Russian. It's the hat, dammit! The hat!)
    Russian was the last time she wore an outfit like that, as Musashinovich. This time, the name was Musashinski. I'll let you figure out nationality from that.

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Ah, that would be like a Polish name, not Russian.

You guys have the Coordinators' names all wrong. They're Eriko and Toshiki, not Erika and Toshi.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    Another point, the frozen Razor Leaf that we saw in this ep's preview was actually part of Skitty's appeal. Skitty used Assist, which came up with Razor Leaf, then used Blizzard to freeze the leaves, then used Doubleslap to break the pieces of ice.
    What I noticed during the Contest was that Haruka's reaction to Eneko's neko no te attack. She said "Razor Leaf, huh? In that case...", leading me to believe that she's considered every possible attack that neko no te could produce, and has developed strategies around these attacks.

Other random thoughts:

-I'm getting really sick of hearing Ready Go! used in every other episode.

-I love Satoshi's strategy for teaching Yukiwarashi how to perfect its Ice Beam attack. It just consists of him telling Yukiwarashi to use the attack, the pokemon obeys, the attack goes wrong, and then Satoshi says something like "Ah, you still can't control your Ice Beam." He just repeats this process several times throughout the episode, and toward the end I was like "Why don't you try something ELSE!?"
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    You guys have the Coordinators' names all wrong. They're Eriko and Toshiki, not Erika and Toshi.

What I noticed during the Contest was that Haruka's reaction to Eneko's neko no te attack. She said "Razor Leaf, huh? In that case...", leading me to believe that she's considered every possible attack that neko no te could produce, and has developed strategies around these attacks.

Other random thoughts:

-I'm getting really sick of hearing Ready Go! used in every other episode.

-I love Satoshi's strategy for teaching Yukiwarashi how to perfect its Ice Beam attack. It just consists of him telling Yukiwarashi to use the attack, the pokemon obeys, the attack goes wrong, and then Satoshi says something like "Ah, you still can't control your Ice Beam." He just repeats this process several times throughout the episode, and toward the end I was like "Why don't you try something ELSE!?"
    About the name mistakes... people obviously didn't listen when Golden Darkness said that the name she was using where what he/she *thought* they were because he/she didn't catch them properly. As for my own mistake... eh, it's only one letter. :P

Say, was it just me, or did Jessie make fun of May's use of 'kamo' in this episode? I could have sworn that she used it at the end of one of her sentences after stealing away Pikachu and Snorunt. Funny how *nobody* paid the slightest bit of attention to it until the Harley episode. XD

Oh, and agreed on the comment regarding 'Ready GO!'. >.> It was cool in the Mawille episode, but... Gah, USE SOMETHING ELSE.

Actually, speaking of music... is it just me, or have they been using some really (It's new.) annoying and crappy music lately that sounds like's it being played on a kid's piano? >.> You know the ones I mean.

Ah, Gravy. Nice to see you agree with me on the subject of Toshiki. (He's not my Official Most Hated Character.) A guy like him needs to know his place... he obviously only views Eriko as a friend, otherwise he wouldn't have been all over May like he was, with all his 'GANBETTE!' and 'YATTA' crap, which he could SEE annoyed his friend. That, and he just plain sucked.

Excellent point. I never realized/noticed that.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

I too just finished watching this episode, and I'm glad we have a real catfight on our hands for this final ribbon. The rivalry between Eriko and May's perfect, even though Eriko interpreted the whole situation incorrectly, it still builds good suspense for the next episode. You know, I feel sorry for Toshiki, jammed inbetween the two ladies, Eriko doesn't look like she treats him nice at all, keep away from her I say

Out of all five contests, I think/hope this is going to be the best of them, the rivalry has set it up brilliantly, can't wait for it to come out in the dub.

Ah, Gravy. Nice to see you agree with me on the subject of Toshiki. (He's not my Official Most Hated Character.) A guy like him needs to know his place... he obviously only views Eriko as a friend, otherwise he wouldn't have been all over May like he was, with all his 'GANBETTE!' and 'YATTA' crap, which he could SEE annoyed his friend. That, and he just plain sucked.
    Heh, guess we really do have similar tastes in characters ^_^;
    And what you said pretty much summed up the reason as to why I didn't like him all that much. Seemed to me like he was, at some points, just going out of his way to get on Eriko's last nerve.
    Theres either that explanation, or he's just an oblivious prat who can't see when someone is getting seriously frustrated due to jealousy :P Like I said, even the Aipom was better than him~

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter
    Out of all five contests, I think/hope this is going to be the best of them, the rivalry has set it up brilliantly, can't wait for it to come out in the dub.
    I wouldn't count on it being the best, but I'm sure its going to be one hell of a showdown. Jealousy and dislike always tend to bring out a ruthless attitude, and thats definatly a good thing in this case XP

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter
    I too just finished watching this episode, and I'm glad we have a real catfight on our hands for this final ribbon. The rivalry between Eriko and May's perfect, even though Eriko interpreted the whole situation incorrectly, it still builds good suspense for the next episode. You know, I feel sorry for Toshiki, jammed inbetween the two ladies, Eriko doesn't look like she treats him nice at all, keep away from her I say

Of course she treats him nicely. She's obsessed with the guy, so unless she's some sort of S+M Queen, I doubt she's one of those people that 'hurts the ones they love'. (Seriously, who the HELL thought up that line? It sucks. Why would you hurt someone you love? And no, don't even *think* of mentioning the school 'thing' where someone bullies a kid they like.) It's just that Toshiki was, quite plainly, all over May, and seemed more supporting of her than his own, perhaps *childhood* friend. And he has the cheek to look embarrassed and do the whole 'Oh golly gee gosh!' look with his hand behind his head. >.>

If anything, Eriko-hime needs to stay the hell away from *him*. Hopefully, he'll break her heart by latching onto some other girl. Maybe the one with the Spheal. He could 'support' her in her time of need. Maybe then Eriko-hime could... go find someone more worthy. Like Aipom Guy. Aipom could even join in! That hand/tail has to have SOME uses... XD

Well, maybe not. Kanata maybe. XD *ponders* Like I've said, I coulf imagine her having a crush on Harley.

Dephender Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd
    Russian was the last time she wore an outfit like that, as Musashinovich. This time, the name was Musashinski. I'll let you figure out nationality from that.
    Actually, it was Musashisky (written Musashisukii), which would make it russian.

I couldn't hear any n in there, and I saw it written as Musashisky at Pokeani as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dephender
    Actually, it was Musashisky (written Musashisukii), which would make it russian.

I couldn't hear any n in there, and I saw it written as Musashisky at Pokeani as well.
    No, you're right. It *was* Musashiski. I was watching it only half an hour ago, so I'm 100% certain. There was no 'n', from what I could tell.

jynx Guest

Eriko's a nice name

neko no te? "Cat's hand"???? What sort of attack is that? o_O|||

Quote Originally Posted by jynx
    Eriko's a nice name

neko no te? "Cat's hand"???? What sort of attack is that? o_O|||
    That would be Assist.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

jynx Guest

Oh I see!
    Now I know what Assist is!

(by gathering both Cantonese and Japanese information :P)

I thought it was Eriko, but before I did the guide I heard everyone calling her Erika and it confused me when I watched the episode. I distinctly heard Eriko, but I thought my ears were just deceiving me because of what people were saying. As for Toshiki, I said Toshki, very close

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    And really, here's MORE proof that the movies don't lead into the TV series if Takeshi didn't even know who Sakaki was after seeing him in the TV Special. >_>
    As already noted, Mewtwo Returns wasn't a movie (and there's tons of evidence for lead-ins to the series I have yet to see refuted). This remark from Brock reported by Murgatroyd may be yet another, although the kids also may have seen Giovanni's face in the Pokemon fortune telling episode where they watched Butch and Cassidy speak with him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Al
    I think only Ash escaped the mind wipe because Mewtwo trusted him and considered him a friend.
    Meowth and Brock, Ash, Misty's speech convinced him that everyone deserved to remember their experiences, who they are and where they come from, so Mewtwo only erased the memories of those who were a threat to him and the spring (the Rocket members).

Mewtwo did however give a special message to Ash that only Ash could hear. ^_^

<><><>

As for Skitty, perhaps it isn't Skitty that is uber, but the ATTACK Assist that is uber. From what we've seen the attack that comes from Assist is always just as strong as when the member of May's team uses it. So perhaps in the anime Assist allows a trainer to in a sense fight with the strength of their entire team in one move on one Pokemon, the only disadvantage being that the move is random. ^_^

So when we see Skitty use Fire Spin or Razor Leaf or Silver Wind it may not be its own power but that of the other Pokemon, after all we've never seen Skitty get tired while using Assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Fan
    As for Skitty, perhaps it isn't Skitty that is uber, but the ATTACK Assist that is uber. From what we've seen the attack that comes from Assist is always just as strong as when the member of May's team uses it. So perhaps in the anime Assist allows a trainer to in a sense fight with the strength of their entire team in one move on one Pokemon, the only disadvantage being that the move is random. ^_^
    No. I'm pretty sure (or full, as some would see it) of myself when I say that Skitty is uber. It can fly around in red and blue, fire heat beams from its eyes, it's super strong and super fast, and has a large 'S' acrosss its uniform. Skitty, stop using the Action Replay!
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

jynx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenNoctowl77
    I thought it was Eriko, but before I did the guide I heard everyone calling her Erika and it confused me when I watched the episode. I distinctly heard Eriko, but I thought my ears were just deceiving me because of what people were saying. As for Toshiki, I said Toshki, very close
    me too >.<"

Is like...Erika? Impossible. Eriko makes more sense XD

Come to think of it, has Skitty ever assisted a physical attack? It would be cool if we got to see it assisting moves like vine whip or sky uppercut.

jynx Guest

Get quick attack XD

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast