Page 2 of 176 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 4395

Thread: Wii U Discussion Thread

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A d v e n t™ View Post
    That is a total fabrication and you know it. As far as I'm concerned, Move is nearly irrelevant in terms of consumer interest and Kinect is just barely a success with its less than stellar library of games.

    Nintendo isn't killing themselves when they continue to dominate software and hardware charts in their home country and to some extent, NA/EU as well.

    Also: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Black...a-237350.shtml

    P.S: Seems certain gamers continue to spout nonsense that having the best tech under the hood is the key to success. Well answer me this, why has almost every weaker system *won* their respective generation?

    Bolded being the sales victor and lowest tech of the bunch.

    Consoles:

    NES - Sega Master System
    SNES - Sega Genesis - Neo Geo - Turbografx-16
    N64 - Playstation - Atari Jaguar - Sega Saturn - 3DO -Amiga CD32
    PS2 - Xbox - GCN
    Wii - PS3 - 360

    Handhelds:

    Gameboy - Sega GameGear - Atari Lynx - TurboExpress
    Gameboy Color - Neo Geo Pocket - Sega Nomad
    Gameboy Advance - Nokia N-Gage/QD - Neo Geo Pocket Color
    Nintendo DS - Sony PSP

    And from the looks of things, 3DS may repeat that cycle unless Sony can pull a fast one with the Vita.

    Cutting edge technology doesn't necessarily decide the -winner- of a "console war"; marketing, pricing, accessibility, and third party support does.
    Yes, I'm well aware that quality of the video games is a factor, but it's not the only factor. Simply having good games isn't enough for a successful console anymore, the console itself needs to be good. And Nintendo consoles have been utter garbage lately compared to Sony and Microsoft.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  2. #27
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Doom View Post
    If it's not a real game, then why was it shown at E3 2011?
    It's just a tech demo with a possibility of being turned into a full-fledged game at this point.

    Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Torpoleon View Post
    It's just a tech demo with a possibility of being turned into a full-fledged game at this point.
    Okay, that makes sense. I'd rather see a sequel to Super Mario 3D Land personally. It's everything a Mario game should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  4. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Doom View Post
    Yes, I'm well aware that quality of the video games is a factor, but it's not the only factor. Simply having good games isn't enough for a successful console anymore, the console itself needs to be good. And Nintendo consoles have been utter garbage lately compared to Sony and Microsoft.
    Not sure if I should continue feeding, but okay.

    Edit: I don't know about you, but I buy a videogame console to, you know, play the games I'm interested in. Extra trinkets or tidbits are nice and all - but mean next to nothing to me when I have other devices which could do such things far better than a console. Having the most powerful console doesn't really mean much either as shown generation and generation again...I'm sure people out there are like that--who want to believe the best tech and most features is all that matters, but I'm also sure they're a minority.

    However, if you're under this belief that the consoles extras or hardware performance is really what's going to matter for the market in the distant future, then that's fine by me. I won't judge.
    Last edited by Sonikku za Hejjihoggu; 27th December 2011 at 11:01 PM.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    15,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Electivire Addict View Post
    We don't even know if New Super Mario Bros. Mii is a Real game
    It was the only thing listed under the "Games" section on the e3 site: http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/software
    It'd probably be somewhat easy to, even if it was just a tech demo (which it probably wasn't; there were numerous tech demos on display/for use on the show floor, non were listed), flesh it out and have it out for launch.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A d v e n t™ View Post
    Not sure if I should continue feeding, but okay.
    Okay, I got caught up in the moment. They're not garbage consoles, but they pale in comparison to Microsoft and Sony.

    Quote Originally Posted by A d v e n t™ View Post
    I don't know about you, but I buy a videogame console to, you know, play the games I'm interested in. Extra trinkets or tidbits are nice and all - but mean next to nothing to me when I have other devices which could do such things far better than a console. Having the most powerful console doesn't really mean much either as shown generation and generation again...

    However if you're under this belief that the consoles extras or hardware performance is really what's going to matter for the market in the distant future, then that's fine by me. I won't judge.
    Your talking about media capabilities, right? Well TBH, I don't care very much for them either, but if there's anything you should've learned from Economics 101, it's when given a choice between the console with media capabilities and the one without (and let's assume the two consoles are identical otherwise), everyone's going to want the one with. But even so, that's not what I'm talking about. The bigger issue here is that up until the Wii U was announced Nintendo was losing 3rd party support because the Wii simply couldn't handle what the other companies wanted like the 360 and PS3 can. Sonic is a great example of this difference. Compare some of the most recent Sonic games on the Wii with some of the most recent games on the 360 and PS3. The HD games have sharper graphics, but more importantly, play faster and are an overall more fun experience than any Sonic game you'll get on the Wii. So yeah, having a more powerful console does make a difference, and it's going to end up being Nintendo's demise as a console manufacturer if they don't fix it ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  7. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Doom View Post
    Okay, I got caught up in the moment. They're not garbage consoles, but they pale in comparison to Microsoft and Sony.
    In technology? Yes, conciously. Nintendo made the choice to sell a lower-powered console with a new control method at a price hundreds of dollars lower than the competition. I think it worked okay for them as far as sales go, yeah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Doom View Post
    So yeah, having a more powerful console does make a difference
    See, you may have a point here, that Nintendo can do what they did with the Wii and, to a lesser extent, the GameCube - selling a lower-powered console at a lower price and reaping the profits - for only so long before it backfires...

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Doom View Post
    and it's going to end up being Nintendo's demise as a console manufacturer if they don't fix it ASAP.
    ...but whatever point you do have completely falls apart as soon as you start predicting "Nintendo's demise as a console manufacturer". People who predict this are doing nothing more than taking one historical example and trying to apply it here, despite none of the same conditions existing.

    Sega dropped out of the hardware business because of not only two hardware losses in a row, but because of massive business and financial troubles. Neither of those are the case with Nintendo. They've suffered no hardware losses - the GameCube finishing "third" in a generation is not a loss, by any stretch, because they were still turning a profit - and they are known to possess massive financial coffers. In no small part, this is what allows them to spend on the R&D that brings us stuff like the Wii, the DS and the 3DS, but what also allows them to take those risks, knowing that failure won't bankrupt them.

    In the event that Nintendo were to truly, cataclysmically fail at a console, they would not stop making hardware completely, as Sega was forced to. Nintendo has more money than Sega did, Nintendo has a stable of properties that Sega didn't and doesn't, and Nintendo still has an iron grip on the handheld market. They would perhaps skip a generation of console hardware if that, they would focus on their handheld hardware and they would reload for the next round.

    Now please. Stop predicting "Nintendo's demise as a console manufacturer", and even better, please stop doing it on the basis of a console for which we have a name, a controller, some pre-rendered video and some promised titles.
    Last edited by BCVM22; 27th December 2011 at 11:27 PM.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  8. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Doom View Post
    Okay, I got caught up in the moment. They're not garbage consoles, but they pale in comparison to Microsoft and Sony.
    In specs, third party support and quality of said support.

    Your talking about media capabilities, right? Well TBH, I don't care very much for them either
    Well, you somewhat implied it in your previous response.

    but if there's anything you should've learned from Economics 101, it's when given a choice between the console with media capabilities and the one without (and let's assume the two consoles are identical otherwise), everyone's going to want the one with.
    Problem with that assumption, is your pretty much describing a different SKU, if anything. There isn't a single device in the market that happens to be "identical" to the competitor's product to make such a claim.

    "Identical"--at least the way you're putting it--would be pricing, library, processing power, just to name a few.

    But even so, that's not what I'm talking about. The bigger issue here is that up until the Wii U was announced Nintendo was losing 3rd party support because the Wii simply couldn't handle what the other companies wanted like the 360 and PS3 can.
    Which apparently, didn't happen to be all that large of an issue as you're making it. Sure, multiplatform games on Wii were very seldom (if at all) the same as the competition's, but in some cases, despite inferior visuals and perhaps length, made up for it with great gameplay thanks to the motion controls, or a different design concept.

    but more importantly, play faster and are an overall more fun experience than any Sonic game you'll get on the Wii.
    That's a pretty subjective opinion there.

    Sonic Unleashed for Wii namely, had arguably the better gimmicky Night stages, but less immersion and exhilaration in the Day stages. Sonic Colors improved on such "day gameplay" with a design that wasn't too far off from the other console offerings. In fact, I prefer Colors over any other titles that showed up on the HD machines.

    Another example could be Madden with again, arguably better controls/gameplay as opposed to the PS3/360 offerings. At least, to my knowledge.

    So yeah, having a more powerful console does make a difference, and it's going to end up being Nintendo's demise as a console manufacturer if they don't fix it ASAP.
    It's some sort of difference, but not necessarily a mandatory one as you're making it out to be. Most of what you're saying just involves the HD graphics and perhaps larger scale design as opposed to what you can find on Wii, but that doesn't necessarily make it any more or less fun.

    Either way, if some of the specs that have been flying around with this console happen to be legit, "barely better than 360/PS3 performance" would be one hell of an understatement if it's running ATI's RV770--which is about 2-3 generations ahead of the Xenon GPU/RSX in 360/PS3.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    In technology? Yes, conciously. Nintendo made the choice to sell a lower-powered console with a new control method at a price hundreds of dollars lower than the competition. I think it worked okay for them as far as sales go, yeah?
    Perhaps, I'm just trying to make a point about how extra stuff sells. That's why in my example I said the consoles were identical (and yes, I meant in price as well). Of course these kinds of decisions are complicated by additional factors such as cost.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    In the event that Nintendo were to truly, cataclysmically fail at a console, they would not stop making hardware completely, as Sega was forced to. Nintendo has more money than Sega did, Nintendo has a stable of properties that Sega didn't and doesn't, and Nintendo still has an iron grip on the handheld market. They would perhaps skip a generation of console hardware if that, they would focus on their handheld hardware and they would reload for the next round.
    I wasn't talking about the handhelds, but we can talk about that if you want. Nintendo has traditionally dominated the handheld market for years, but their virtual monopoly on the handheld market isn't as safe as it used to be. With the announcement of Vita, Sony is rather viciously attacking Nintendo's hold on the handheld market, and the way things look so far, it's not going to be as easy this generation for Nintendo. So if they were to drop consoles, they'd only be cutting their losses. At any rate, you can't say that things are looking too great for Nintendo right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by A d v e n t™ View Post
    Problem with that assumption, is your pretty much describing a different SKU, if anything. There isn't a single device in the market that happens to be "identical" to the competitor's product to make such a claim.

    "Identical"--at least the way you're putting it--would be pricing, library, processing power, just to name a few.
    It's a theoretical situation, I'm just trying to prove a point with a simple example.

    Quote Originally Posted by A d v e n t™ View Post
    Which apparently, didn't happen to be all that large of an issue as you're making it. Sure, multiplatform games on Wii were very seldom (if at all) the same as the competition's, but in some cases, despite inferior visuals and perhaps length, made up for it with great gameplay thanks to the motion controls, or a different design concept.
    Well everyone's going to get sick of the motion controls eventually, so again, it's not something they should be relying on for too long.

    Quote Originally Posted by A d v e n t™ View Post
    That's a pretty subjective opinion there.

    Sonic Unleashed for Wii namely, had arguably the better gimmicky Night stages, but less immersion and exhilaration in the Day stages. Sonic Colors improved on such "day gameplay" with a design that wasn't too far off from the other console offerings. In fact, I prefer Colors over any other titles that showed up on the HD machines.
    Colors was too slow and had too much blocky platforming. And they could easily do Colors on the 360/PS3, they simply made it Wii exclusive to throw Nintendo owners a bone. As for Sonic Unleashed Wii being better, the Day stages are what matter most, because that's the main Sonic gameplay.

    [QUOTE=A d v e n t™;13936503]It's some sort of difference, but not necessarily a mandatory one as you're making it out to be. Most of what you're saying just involves the HD graphics and perhaps larger scale design as opposed to what you can find on Wii, but that doesn't necessarily make it any more or less fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by A d v e n t™ View Post
    Either way, if some of the specs that have been flying around with this console happen to be legit, "barely better than 360/PS3 performance" would be one hell of an understatement if it's running ATI's RV770--which is about 2-3 generations ahead of the Xenon GPU/RSX in 360/PS3.
    I hope your right, because if it is only barely better than the 360/PS3, Nintendo is going to be right back where they started once Microsoft and Sony release their next gen consoles. No doubt they'll perform significantly better.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 27th December 2011 at 11:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  10. #35

    Default

    My point was that Nintendo if were to skip a generation of console hardware, it would be because they felt it was a sound business decision, and even then, it would only be one skip and even then, they would still have their handheld legacy on which to fall back.

    Sega left that field on a permanent basis because they literally had no choice, and their handheld efforts had been a non-factor for years by that point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Doom View Post
    At any rate, you can't say that things are looking too great for Nintendo right now.
    Nor can you say they're looking apocalyptic, as you claim. Nintendo is in no danger right now. None.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    OFWGKTADGAF
    Posts
    8,421

    Default

    Depending on price and launch titles, I might pick one up on release, but otherwise, I can be patient.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    My point was that Nintendo if were to skip a generation of console hardware, it would be because they felt it was a sound business decision, and even then, it would only be one skip and even then, they would still have their handheld legacy on which to fall back.

    Sega left that field on a permanent basis because they literally had no choice, and their handheld efforts had been a non-factor for years by that point.
    IDK, Nintendo's getting pretty close. Releasing the Wii U is pretty much an act of desperation.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Nor can you say they're looking apocalyptic, as you claim. Nintendo is in no danger right now. None.
    Right, because quite clearly their refusal to adapt to more modern hardware is working so well for them. If Nintendo's doing as well as you said, then how can you justify the fact that their sales dropped in a year when they released several great games? That is definitely not a sign of success.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In your mind
    Posts
    4,261

    Default

    They better not release a Cooking Mama on the console; then it will be called Wii U Mama.

    Lame jokes aside, I did want to get one since it will release a showcase of Nintendo games, and as a Nintendo fan, I look forward to that.

    It will also be interesting to see how they utilize the technology.

    Hoenn has disappointed.

    P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

  14. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Doom View Post
    IDK, Nintendo's getting pretty close. Releasing the Wii U is pretty much an act of desperation.
    The Wii is five years old. It will likely be six years old by the time the Wii U releases. Five years (ish) was the lifespan for the SNES, the N64 and the GameCube. If this is an "act of desperation" as you claim, it's not one that involves Nintendo doing anything out of the ordinary, which would almost discount it from being such an act to begin with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Doom View Post
    Right, because quite clearly their refusal to adapt to more modern hardware is working so well for them.
    Well... 90 million units worldwide as of a month ago, so...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Doom View Post
    If Nintendo's doing as well as you said, then how can you justify the fact that their sales dropped in a year when they released several great games?
    "Their sales" in what? The Wii? Yeah. The console's five years old and sniffing the barn, and I won't deny for a second that software's been pretty sparse. In what else? 3DS sales have skyrocketed. And shall we point out that there are economic downturns worldwide - not conditions that lend themselves the best to entertainment purchases - and that a large part of Nintendo's home country suffered a cataclysmic natural disaster this year, also the sort of thing that tends to depress electronics purchasing just a bit?

    Again, you're arguing conditions that don't exist, or at least don't exist to nearly the extent you're trying to posit, and even flimsier, you're arguing them on the basis of next-generation hardware that's probably still the better part of a year away from releasing.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  15. #40
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Go away, why do you care?
    Posts
    7,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Doom View Post
    If it's not a real game, then why was it shown at E3 2011?
    I think Reggie said that some of these aren't real games and they're just stuff so they could show off the WiiU

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    15,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Electivire Addict View Post
    I think Reggie said that some of these aren't real games and they're just stuff so they could show off the WiiU
    And there were several little demos out on the show floor, like a drawing game and such. But none of those were listed on the e3 site, unlike NSMBM

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,075

    Default

    Not sure if this has been asked but how much does this thing weigh?

  18. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb08045 View Post
    Not sure if this has been asked but how much does this thing weigh?
    Not that anyone would know yet, but why does it matter...?



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,075

    Default

    Just curious. The controller does have a screen so weight might be an issue.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb08045 View Post
    Just curious. The controller does have a screen so weight might be an issue.
    Well the controller is like a tablet, so I imagine it to be not much heavier than any other tablet. So unless those things have a weight issue, then probably not.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the wind blows
    Posts
    4,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb08045 View Post
    Just curious. The controller does have a screen so weight might be an issue.
    It's 2011 not the 1980s, big bulky tech are a thing of the past. Beside the Ipad has a screen and that thing is pretty light.


    "Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

    Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

    You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

    twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    It's 2011 not the 1980s, big bulky tech are a thing of the past. Beside the Ipad has a screen and that thing is pretty light.
    Also that. 10char
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    Will this have a multi-touch screen?
    The most Superior Snivy. Left, good time here though. I loved this place.

  24. #49

    Default

    As best as anyone knows, no, the touch screen does not have multi-touch capabilities.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    23,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A d v e n t™ View Post
    Bolded being the sales victor and lowest tech of the bunch.

    Consoles:

    NES - Sega Master System
    SNES - Sega Genesis - Neo Geo - Turbografx-16
    N64 - Playstation - Atari Jaguar - Sega Saturn - 3DO -Amiga CD32
    PS2 - Xbox - GCN
    Wii - PS3 - 360

    Handhelds:

    Gameboy - Sega GameGear - Atari Lynx - TurboExpress
    Gameboy Color - Neo Geo Pocket - Sega Nomad
    Gameboy Advance - Nokia N-Gage/QD - Neo Geo Pocket Color
    Nintendo DS - Sony PSP
    Uh, want to point out that Sega Genesis came out as competition for the NES. Not the SNES. Also, you forgot to include the Dreamcast in that list of consoles.

    The Sega Nomad can't even be included as it's not really a portable system of its own. It's just a portable Genesis player. Also worth noting that the NeoGeo Pocket Color is weaker than the GBA.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowyarticuno View Post
    And there were several little demos out on the show floor, like a drawing game and such. But none of those were listed on the e3 site, unlike NSMBM
    Uh, NSMBM was not listed as a WiiU game. It was a tech demo. Just like every Nintendo game on the floor for the WiiU.

    3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Page 2 of 176 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •