Page 10 of 174 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Wii U Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DarkGengar View Post
    Has Nintendo ever used a prototype name for an official console release?.
    Nearly. The N64 was the Nintendo Ultra 64 at one point, but that's as close as it gets, iirc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgeckledorf Spoongeblorb View Post
    [School's] a nice place to fap in public and not get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    I like Wii U, I think it's fitting however I do agree that a name change might improve sales.
    I think I see where you're going with this, but I doubt that the name "Wii U" would have a similar effect that the 3DS' naming did on sales, to be fair. Considering there's the DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, and then a 3DS comes along it's easy to see how that went badly. However there's only one Wii, so Wii U does sound more like a standalone conole.

Has Nintendo ever used a prototype name for an official console release? Cafe is alright, I'd rather them call it the Super Wii or the Nintendo Revolution (for real this time).
    Super Wii? That would get more over-punned its predecessor for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    I think I see where you're going with this, but I doubt that the name "Wii U" would have a similar effect that the 3DS' naming did on sales, to be fair. Considering there's the DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, and then a 3DS comes along it's easy to see how that went badly. However there's only one Wii, so Wii U does sound more like a standalone conole.
    Except the console itself doesn't look much different at a glance. Combined with DS experiences and seeing the controller at the forefront and...well...

Has Nintendo ever used a prototype name for an official console release?
    The DS was a prototype name that Nintendo used for an official Nintendo release.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    The DS was a prototype name that Nintendo used for an official Nintendo release.
    The DS had a few other proto-type names, as well. I believe Nitro was one of them

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    Fair point. However, there would still be people who initially believe it's simply an updated version of the Wii. The confusion won't be as bad as the 3DS for sure, but it would still be moderate. I'm starting to think the only way to cash in on the Wii's success while not confusing the uninformed gamers is to call it the Wii 2. Works for Sony.
    Eagerly waiting for: Monolith Soft Wii U game

Does anyone know if Wii Ware can be transferred to the Wii U?

So far they've stated that they've had problems finding a way to do this. Be prepared for them to tell us that there might not be a way.

I don't think that there have been anything about the transferring of anything from the Wii Shop Channel Purchases. Though I would say that they might announce a system transfer thingy like what they did with the DSi shop purchases to 3DS. That would be nice anyways since that they made it impossible for you to transfer anything you bought on the Wii Shop Channel from one Wii that you saved on an SD card to another Wii.

But anywho , I think that they would rename the system anyways even though there are rumors about it. That being since that they would clear up all the confusion so that there wouldn't be any one stupid enough to buy a Wii U game thinking that it would work for the Wii that they have already. It would be best to since that is what happened with the 3DS. I do though think a name like "Revolution HD" since that it would be perfect to describe the system in a short , simple name.

R.I.P. Gematsu Rumor...

Making the general color something other than white would also help with diffrentiation

Quote Originally Posted by arceus7 View Post
    Making the general color something other than white would also help with diffrentiation
    Not really... blue and black Wiis have been around for a while now.
    Formerly known as Jigglychu.

Regardless it helps , they could slightly stylelize the design too, if its nessescary.

Nah guys, white is trendy for technological stuff these days. If it has any hint of colour, it gets labelled childish and non-sophisticated.

... You make it sound like people are being duped into the whole color thing

Quote Originally Posted by arceus7 View Post
    ... You make it sound like people are being duped into the whole color thing

Good times...
    Last edited by ParaChomp; 5th February 2012 at 6:54 PM.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

I would say that they might try something other than white for the Wii U's color when the final design comes out. That is since I guess Nintendo would try to advertise the Wii U as something for both hardcore and casual gamers alike. A color like "Timberwolf" or something along the way of a gray would be perfect if they want to capture the audience they want. The main reason is that it would combine the white color which would associate to kiddy stuff with the black which would associate to stuff that is hardcore. But hey , They could go back to the N64 era and have every color of the rainbow if they wanted to.

EDIT: Just have seen this over at GoNintendo. It's actually Sony's rip-off of the Wii U. Knowing how Sony just loves to copy Nintendo's ideas , I wouldn't doubt that Sony would have something like this for the Playstation 4 when it comes out.

Last edited by DaAuraWolf; 5th February 2012 at 9:09 PM.

R.I.P. Gematsu Rumor...

That patent was filed in 2010, so it is anything but a "rip-off".

If anything, Sony's already done such before the Wii U with PS3/PSP Remote Play.

But then again , The idea for the Wii U was conceived by Nintendo back in 2008. Just gonna go and head to back up this with the exact interview that states this before there is any doubt about it. So without further ado , Here's the link to that interview which stated that.

Proof for that the Wii U was conceived in 2008.

Other than that , It's just Sony's thing to rip-off anything and everything these days including a third party Wii accessory that I saw at my local Big Lots. But anywho , That is difference is that 2010 < 2008. Which by the way is that Sony was 2 years late when it comes to that matter. Though I do wonder if Apple had the idea for the iPad before 2008.

R.I.P. Gematsu Rumor...

Shouting about who ripped off who and trying to denigrate one company because they produced something similar to another is an uninformed schoolyard discussion. Nothing more. Sony has R&D people just like Microsoft has R&D people just like Nintendo has R&D people.

Were you to isolate all three and cut them off from any information as to what the competition was doing, chances are that all three are smart enough that they'd eventually arrive at the same technologies - motion control, touch screens, whatever - independent of one another. They might execute it differently, they might introduce it on different schedules, but the point remains.

The amount of merit found in a discussion of "who copied who" is minimal, at best.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

^ Said like a pro.

^ Totally agree with this guy.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

^ You guys are being retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    The amount of merit found in a discussion of "who copied who" is minimal, at best.
    Shouldn't it be who copied whom?

As for the color of the Wii U, why not go with gray and purple, or gray, red, and black. Go with the classic Nintendo colors.

woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

I think they should go with screaming hot pink and deep ocean teal, just to do something new.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    I think they should go with screaming hot pink and deep ocean teal, just to do something new.
    I approve.

Add Melon Green while they're at it. I'll pay BIG for that!
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

The Grand Finale Arc begins with Chapter 109.

Ash will capture this thing.
    Mark my words

Page 10 of 174 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast