Page 12 of 177 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wii U Discussion Thread

I think the game coming with the Wii U could be the Chase/Battle Mii games but with a few more of those mini games.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowyarticuno View Post
    I'm pretty sure they've commented on them making a game, probably a mario title, so there's something at launch (again, learning from 3DS). I believe EAD specifically?
    Retro is also working on something for later this year.
    Maybe Miyamoto's pet project?
    I do believe Retro's on a new Star Fox, if rumours are to be believed.

Quote Originally Posted by woot21 View Post
    In less serious news, have there been any rumors of possible Nintendo games that will be launch titles?
    All we know is Iwata said there will be a "strong lineup of launch games" though for all we know that could mean the ported games we saw at E3. Miyamoto said they were far along in Pikmin 3's development so that will probably be a launch title. The only other first party Wii U games we know are in production are Smash Bros (which we won't see for a long time) Zelda, and Mario Kart.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibdas View Post
    I do believe Retro's on a new Star Fox, if rumours are to be believed.
    No. The rumor you refer to originated with this article. All the writer implies is that he wants them to do Star Fox. People took that to mean "OMG he must have inside info and is hinting that Retro is doing Star Fox!"

The only thing we know about Retro's project is that they said it's "Something everybody wants us to do." Which could mean anything, really.
    Last edited by Hejiru; 7th February 2012 at 1:33 PM.
    Formerly known as Jigglychu.

Honestly the Wii-U looks like it has the most non ergonomic and most cumbersome controller I've ever seen. That's putting me off, a lot.

The system still uses Wii Remotes. Furthermore and presumably, games meant to be played solely on the tablet controller will have controls designed to make doing so comfortable. And even then, if the tablet is light enough, is it really that different than what playing on an oversized controller pad might feel like?

Not to single you out, as this certainly isn't just you, but I freely admit to eternally being confused as to how people are able to draw the most specific confusions about a system based on PR images and even more so why such conclusions are further qualified with one's intent to buy or not buy based on them.
    Last edited by BCVM22; 7th February 2012 at 5:21 PM.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    The system still uses Wii Remotes. Furthermore and presumably, games meant to be played solely on the tablet controller will have controls designed to make doing so comfortable. And even then, if the tablet is light enough, is it really that different than what playing on an oversized controller pad might feel like?

Not to single you out, as this certainly isn't just you, but I freely admit to eternally being confused as to how people are able to draw the most specific confusions about a system based on PR images and even more so why such conclusions are further qualified with one's intent to buy or not buy based on them.
    also when everyone that's actually used the controller says that it's very comfortable and ergonomic

Woah buddy. I didn't say I wouldn't buy the Wii-U based on how the controller looks, I'd base that decision on the games, price and how the online works, alongside the controller.

Be fair though, that thing looks far from ergonomic. It dwarfs the 3DS, PSP and PSVita, and the latter two of those have very ergonomically friendly shapes, with the 3DS' size and button placement ensuring it's at least comfortable.

It's a controller, not a handheld console. The size is very purposeful.

And I don't see how you can say the 3DS, PSP, & Vita are ergonomic (large flat slabs), when the Wii U controller isn't.

especially when it has actual grips

I can already tell you are someone who would defend a turd if Nintendo were marketing it so I'm going to make one and only one post addressing you as trying to get sense out of a fanboy is like trying to get some sweet sweet bootay out of a nun.

Vita has grip indents, it's curved and more appropriately sized for it's shape. The sticks are positioned in a convenient place for the thumbs as opposed to the bizarre placement of the Wii-U's sticks. The 3DS is more square and bulky, but it's size counteracts this.

And to say the size is purposeful is laughable. Excluding the N64's controller and the original Xbox's controller (Neither were particularly good designs) All console controllers have aimed to be as small and comfortable as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGoblin View Post
    Be fair though, that thing looks far from ergonomic. It dwarfs the 3DS, PSP and PSVita, and the latter two of those have very ergonomically friendly shapes, with the 3DS' size and button placement ensuring it's at least comfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowyarticuno View Post
    It's a controller, not a handheld console. The size is very purposeful.

And I don't see how you can say the 3DS, PSP, & Vita are ergonomic (large flat slabs), when the Wii U controller isn't, especially when it has actual grips
    And to that end, what we do know about the controller are its dimensions, and that it appears to be about three inches wider and less than three inches taller than a 3DS, and only about a tenth of an inch thicker. The bottom line is that if it comes in at around the same weight as a 3DS, it won't feel tremendously different from holding one. Your hands will be a little wider apart, the palms of your hands will have a longer, wider surface to rest against while your thumbs are on the buttons and you'll have grips on the back to settle against.

If anything, from what little we know of the tablet controller thus far, it would seem to be more ergonomic, not less, wouldn't it?

I can already tell you are someone who would defend a turd if Nintendo were marketing it so I'm going to make one and only one post addressing you as trying to get sense out of a fanboy is like trying to get some sweet sweet bootay out of a nun.
    That's very insightful. Clearly discussing matters with you is going to be fun in ways that no one knew fun could be fun.
    Last edited by BCVM22; 7th February 2012 at 6:08 PM.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

And to that end, what we do know about the controller are its dimensions, and that it appears to be about three inches wider and less than three inches taller than a 3DS, and only about a tenth of an inch thicker. The bottom line is that if it comes in at around the same weight as a 3DS, it won't feel tremendously different from holding one. Your hands will be a little wider apart, the palms of your hands will have a longer, wider surface to rest against while your thumbs are on the buttons and you'll have grips on the back to settle against.

If anything, from what little we know of the tablet controller thus far, it would seem to be more ergonomic, not less, wouldn't it?

That's very insightful. Clearly discussing matters with you is going to be fun in ways that no one knew fun could be fun.
    3 inches isn't that small when we're talking about dimensions. I'm not saying it ISN'T ergonomic, I'm saying it certainly does not look it. The placement of the analogue sticks is definitely questionable.

I dont think anyone can comment on the feel of the Wii U controller without actually having held the controller itself. Seems logical, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

I don't think anyone mentioned the feel, only what we think it will feel like from what we know (dimensions, images etc) If it was smaller or at least curved and the sticks were repositioned then I'd have no gripes with the design.

I've seen comfortable and ergonomic in a quick skim of the last few posts, but then again maybe 'feel was the wrong word.
    This is probably a sign that we're overdue for new info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

I was just saying I didn't think it looked at all ergonomic or comfortable, especially in the case of smaller users, which is the main reason I have a Wii. The Wii mote was perfect in terms of size because it worked equally well in little hands as it did in big hands, so i could introduce my little cousins to classic NES, SNES, N64 and Cube games and they could also play things like Wii sport together. But there's no way they'll be using a Wii-U pad with such ease just by the size of it.

It looks like a Game Gear.

I was just saying I didn't think it looked at all ergonomic or comfortable, especially in the case of smaller users, which is the main reason I have a Wii. The Wii mote was perfect in terms of size because it worked equally well in little hands as it did in big hands, so i could introduce my little cousins to classic NES, SNES, N64 and Cube games and they could also play things like Wii sport together. But there's no way they'll be using a Wii-U pad with such ease just by the size of it.
    Nor should they really be using it. Nintendo is trying to (re)claim the "core" audience with it. As your little nieces/nephews/cousins/children/pixies probably aren't in that demographic, there should be no concern for them using it. For the most part, any of their use with the tablet controller would be confined to the touch screen, in which case setting it on their lap would be a simple fix. Also, regular Wii-Motes are still fully compatible with it, so you're not losing those. Furthermore, there is no reason to believe that any button controls couldn't simply be adapted to use on a Classic Controller Pro (especially if Nintendo only wants 1-2 controllers per system), which I know fits me pretty well, and should be fine for little hands.
    I have claimed Joltik. Deal with it.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 5412 9894 6875
    XL Friend Code: 0189-9263-9995
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Icay4321 View Post
    Anyway, I'm hoping to get some StreetPass's tomorrow, as I'm going to the Madison farmer's market. I usually do, I think it's generally because of hipsters, though I have no way of PROVING that.
    You're getting streetpasses at a farmer's market. That's proof enough.
    Dream Address: 5100-2145-7596

Nintendo has always been a company that focused on games that could appeal to both a child and an adult up until the Wii. Why should 4-7 year olds not be playing the Wii-U, even more so if it's returning to Nintendo's roots?

Nintendo has always been a company that focused on games that could appeal to both a child and an adult up until the Wii. Why should 4-7 year olds not be playing the Wii-U, even more so if it's returning to Nintendo's roots?
    There's nothing stopping them from being capable of playing Wii U games.

Nor should they really be using it. Nintendo is trying to (re)claim the "core" audience with it. As your little nieces/nephews/cousins/children/pixies probably aren't in that demographic, there should be no concern for them using it. For the most part, any of their use with the tablet controller would be confined to the touch screen, in which case setting it on their lap would be a simple fix. Also, regular Wii-Motes are still fully compatible with it, so you're not losing those. Furthermore, there is no reason to believe that any button controls couldn't simply be adapted to use on a Classic Controller Pro (especially if Nintendo only wants 1-2 controllers per system), which I know fits me pretty well, and should be fine for little hands.
    I never said that there would never be games that wouldn't work for kids, in fact I address that. However, it is conceivable that most titles published for little kids would be more focused on the touch screen or traditional motion controls, not the buttons on the controller. If your little ones are playing "core" games that need buttons and are suited to adults then its more likely that they aren't old enough for such content anyway.
    Anyway, I'm hoping to get some StreetPass's tomorrow, as I'm going to the Madison farmer's market. I usually do, I think it's generally because of hipsters, though I have no way of PROVING that.

If you're honestly trying to insinuate that games like Super Mario, Donkey Kong and even Zelda are for an older audience and that children of 7 years would have trouble playing them then I don't know what to say. I've been playing video games since I was that age and i never had any issues with NES, SNES or Sega games back then.

To weigh in on the whole controller size thing, I just did a quick comparison. The DSi is smaller than an XBox 360 controller. Thus the 360 controller is a clunky, bulky piece of junk that makes it difficult to play games. It's just too big.
    Excluding the N64's controller and the original Xbox's controller (Neither were particularly good designs) All console controllers have aimed to be as small and comfortable as possible.
    Just for curiosity sake, did you use the N64 controller before or after using a PS2/3, GCN, or 360 controller? Also, at what age did you first use an N64 controller? I went from the SNES to the N64, and found the transition to be smooth, and found the controller design to be very intuitive.

woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

If you're honestly trying to insinuate that games like Super Mario, Donkey Kong and even Zelda are for an older audience and that children of 7 years would have trouble playing them then I don't know what to say. I've been playing video games since I was that age and i never had any issues with NES, SNES or Sega games back then.
    No, and for the most part, those games are played well enough with Wii-Motes and Classic Controllers.

No, and for the most part, those games are played well enough with Wii-Motes and Classic Controllers.
    In all honesty, it's something we'll have to get used to. Those of us who were use to Gamecube controllers will have to get use to the switch in positions of the joystick and D-pad. It's not too big of a deal and in all honesty, a smart move for Nintendo in terms of getting more sales.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by woot21 View Post
    To weigh in on the whole controller size thing, I just did a quick comparison. The DSi is smaller than an XBox 360 controller. Thus the 360 controller is a clunky, bulky piece of junk that makes it difficult to play games. It's just too big.
    Just for curiosity sake, did you use the N64 controller before or after using a PS2/3, GCN, or 360 controller? Also, at what age did you first use an N64 controller? I went from the SNES to the N64, and found the transition to be smooth, and found the controller design to be very intuitive.

woot21 out dawgs
    I purchased my N64 a little while after my GameCube and PS2 because I had missed out on games like OoT, MM and Super Mario64, which is probably why I had issues with the N64 controller.

In regards to your 'point' about the 360 joypad, I wasn't ever complaining about the weight of the Wii-U's pad, it's the shape, size and button positioning that I dislike the look of. The 360 pad is by far the most comfortable joypad I have ever used.

Page 12 of 177 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast