Page 142 of 175 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 4355

Thread: Wii U Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    This is the excuse everyone brings up. 'Oh, the games take a long time to make.' It's 2013. Everyone in the industry should know this by now. I am so sick and tired of hearing it, and this excuse isn't going to sell the console once they're competing against the other next-gen consoles. Now don't get me wrong. I love Nintendo. I grew up with it. But the thing is, they've made this excuse so many times that it's become the 'dog ate my homework' of the video game industry. I'm not arguing that games are easy to make or that they don't take a long time. But here's the thing. They should've been developing these games alongside the hardware. Want to know why the Xbox One and the PS4 are going to have 15+ exclusives at launch? Because they were developing them alongside the hardware.

That said, I personally think Nintendo dropped the ball big time. They basically had an entire year, where there were no next-gen consoles competing with them. The Wii U is the first 8th generation console that was released. They needed to have those Mario and Zelda games ready to go at launch. Those are the games that sell their consoles, not the third-party titles that you could already get on other systems.

Edit:

Just found this and realized that this is the perfect topic for it.

This video might sound harsh, but it isn't far from the truth. Nintendo is stuck in the past, and because of that they keep making the same mistakes over and over with their consoles. If they can get out of this rut and start thinking like a company should in an evolving industry, they'll be more successful with their console launches and exclusives. And they can do this if they get forward thinking people into the company. Nintendo's been making home consoles longer than Sony or Microsoft. So if anybody's got enough experience to know to do this, it's Nintendo. They just have to step up and do it, instead of making excuses.

Excuses don't sell systems. Games sell systems. Keep that in mind.
    That guy made a comparison to Call of Duty to what Nintendo should have? How in the world is CoD -> CoD2(and for some reason only mentioned graphics) a next gen system seller compared to Super Mario World -> Super Mario 64 or SMS -> Super Mario Galaxy? Which were more Nintendo's style of new things with fun gameplay

I mean it would have been nice to have better games than Nintendo Land and Game and Wario to show off the gamepad(which is what I think he was trying to say) but they've had some good games. And why do people suddenly expect Nintendo to be experts im HD? Why is that Iwata's fault?

Side note: I don't think what I said about the reviews was phrased correctly. What I'm trying to say is that a lot of people are disagreeing with the reviews of certain games and that they're not as bad as the reviews make them out to be. Zombie U and Game & Wario as examples
    Last edited by TheFonz; 11th July 2013 at 1:29 AM.

Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Tropical Freeze are good games to draw in core Nintendo fans, but it's nothing really to get excited about.
    You're not looking forward to any of these?
    3DS FC: 2036-7351-7190.
    NNID: FusionKT

Quote Originally Posted by Jirachi9 View Post
    You're not looking forward to any of these?
    Not particularly. I might still buy 3D Land, but I don't think I'll enjoy it that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Mario Kart though. Unless you don't like MK I don't see why you wouldn't want to buy it.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Not particularly. I might still buy 3D Land, but I don't think I'll enjoy it that much.
    I think 3D World will be different enough to justify a purchase. The cat power up isn't the best but it's probably one of those games you have to play to really get. That's the problem Wii U has too. I played MK8 at Best Buy and it felt pretty nice using the GamePad and it looked beautiful. I've never played DKC though

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Well until you understand it you're going to keep hearing it.
    I do understand it. And I'm not necessarily picking on you (because a lot of people make these same arguments and excuses). But you really need to learn how the industry works and how the consumer thinks. I've been doing this for 10 years. If I didn't learn the thought processes of customers, I'd be out of business. Consumers are not going to buy a console, nor will they be inclined to buy a console, if the developers keep saying that 'games take a long time to make' with next to no games to show for it in the entire first year of the console's life. Consumers don't care how long a game takes to make. They care about whether the games are out and whether or not they have a reason to buy the console.

They're not going to compete with the next-gen consoles, really.
    Newsflash: If you make a console, you're competing with other companies who develop consoles, like it or not. Consumers still have a choice on where to spend their money. And if they find that the Xbox One or the PS4 has more appeal, or has more games, guess where their money is going.

And Nintendo was doing the same. Difference being, the exclusives you've got for the Xbox One or PS4 are all being developed by different studios. Nintendo's titles are done internally, a lot of the same people have a hand in different projects. Not to mention this is the first time Nintendo's been doing HD development, they have no experience doing so, and have said as much.
    Then the solution is simple. They need to get people in there that DO have experience developing HD games, if for no other reason than to help the people that don't have experience in it.

When those games come out, they'll still sell the console. People buy Nintendo consoles for experiences you can't get elsewhere, that will remain true regardless of whether they release their titles now or after the next-gen consoles come out.
    You missed the entire point of what I said. These games should have been out when the console was released. Nintendo had the market to THEMSELVES for a year. Say what you want, the Wii U is an 8th gen console whether you like it or not. It was made for this generation, not the previous one. If it was a previous gen console (which it isn't), then it should've come out earlier in the PS3/360 era, instead of a year before the release of two higher-end machines.

Bottom Line: You can make all the excuses you want until you're blue in the face. The fact is, excuses don't sell consoles (otherwise my house would be cluttered with so much junk that you'd have to swim through it to get to my room). GAMES sell consoles. And the games just weren't there when they should have been. I'm not saying the Wii U won't sell when the games DO come out. I'm saying that Nintendo missed a huge opportunity to basically monopolize the 8th generation for an entire year.

And no, I'm not saying to fire Iwata. That's a little bit extreme. But at the very least, they need new people in there that know the technology. The industry is constantly evolving, and people aren't going to just sit around waiting for Nintendo to learn how to make HD games, while other companies are going to have games ready to go on new high end systems. It's 2013, not 1985. Nintendo's not the only kid on the block anymore, and they need to realize this.
    Last edited by SBaby; 11th July 2013 at 7:02 AM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

Mario Kart though. Unless you don't like MK I don't see why you wouldn't want to buy it.
    Not seeing any significant improvement in gameplay for MK8. The courses defy gravity, yeah, but that doesn't add that much to the gameplay.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Not seeing any significant improvement in gameplay for MK8. The courses defy gravity, yeah, but that doesn't add that much to the gameplay.
    Mario Kart 8 actually looks really good though. That's one of the games I am looking forward to (along with Smash Bros and Mario 3D Land).
    A Winner Is You!!!

- Bruce Lee

- Willie 'Jack' Degel

Yes it does. That's a massive gameplay change.

There's only so much change in gameplay you can have on a kart racing game. The feel of it while playing is quite different from past games and I'm not sure how to describe exactly how it felt using the GamePad instead of a Wiimote or wheel. I felt more in control of my kart than in MKWii

Meanwhile, at Nintendo...the big summer update got pushed to late September-early October. There's a minor update available now
    Last edited by TheFonz; 11th July 2013 at 5:47 AM.

Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

I do understand it. And I'm not necessarily picking on you (because a lot of people make these same arguments and excuses). But you really need to learn how the industry works and how the consumer thinks. I've been doing this for 10 years. If I didn't learn the thought processes of customers, I'd be out of business. Consumers are not going to buy a console, nor will they be inclined to buy a console, if the developers keep saying that 'games take a long time to make' with next to no games to show for it in the entire first year of the console's life. Consumers don't care how long a game takes to make. They care about whether the games are out and whether or not they have a reason to buy the console.
    I do understand the industry and I especially understand consumers. The issue you have here is that the average consumer doesn't care period. They have no concept of development time, nor do they ever hear the excuses. They just wait for the game to come out and then they'll buy it. They don't care about the industry, they don't follow it. They're just going to buy a game whenever they find out that it's been released.

Then you have people like us, who follow the industry and have a better understanding of how it works. You've got people like yourself who think Nintendo should be doing something differently, but when it comes down it, when they release these games they're going to sell millions. No matter what happens. The 3DS was in the same situation as the Wii U, and look where it is now.

Newsflash: If you make a console, you're competing with other companies who develop consoles, like it or not. Consumers still have a choice on where to spend their money. And if they find that the Xbox One or the PS4 has more appeal, or has more games, guess where their money is going.
    True enough, but really the two offer very different experiences. You'll have some people who can really just pick one, but there will also be a lot of people who will get two, just so they can get those games that only Nintendo puts out.

Then the solution is simple. They need to get people in there that DO have experience developing HD games, if for no other reason than to help the people that don't have experience in it.
    That's a great way to make money. Spend more of it.

You missed the entire point of what I said. These games should have been out when the console was released. Nintendo had the market to THEMSELVES for a year. Say what you want, the Wii U is an 8th gen console whether you like it or not. It was made for this generation, not the previous one. If it was a previous gen console (which it isn't), then it should've come out earlier in the PS3/360 era, instead of a year before the release of two higher-end machines.
    Maybe you think they should have, and sure, it would have been nice; but that's not the reality. The reality is Nintendo isn't truly any worse off because these games aren't out yet. We get a rocky start versus a stale mid-life.

I'm saying that Nintendo missed a huge opportunity to basically monopolize the 8th generation for an entire year.
    And I'm saying I don't see that as true. Because what Nintendo offers is fundamentally different from Microsoft and Sony. Maybe they could have sold a few more units, it wouldn't have been anything major. Impulse buyers at most. Anyone who really wanted to play these games and is waiting for them is going to get them.

And no, I'm not saying to fire Iwata. That's a little bit extreme. But at the very least, they need new people in there that know the technology. The industry is constantly evolving, and people aren't going to just sit around waiting for Nintendo to learn how to make HD games, while other companies are going to have games ready to go on new high end systems. It's 2013, not 1985. Nintendo's not the only kid on the block anymore, and they need to realize this.
    And yet they're doing pretty well for themselves.

The gameplay in Mario Kart hasn't changed in years. Really the only major change was the Bikes added in Wii.
    Last edited by Hydrohs; 11th July 2013 at 1:08 PM.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

How can you significantly change gameplay of a racer?
    3DS FC: 2036-7351-7190.
    NNID: FusionKT

Adding an extra 8 racers sure changed Mario Kart Wii. All those extra people hitting item boxes. All those extra blue shells...

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    Adding an extra 8 racers sure changed Mario Kart Wii. All those extra people hitting item boxes. All those extra blue shells...
    Blue Shells should just be removed. *Grumbles*

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Yes it does. That's a massive gameplay change.
    Depends on what they do with the track design. The gravity doesn't add anything if it's just a single track that goes up the walls and upside like the Figure 8 track does. But if you can run up walls and ceilings for multiple paths (like this) that could be awesome. Given how Mario Kart tracks have fewer alternate paths, we probably won't be seeing much of that, though.

I do understand the industry and I especially understand consumers.
    I don't think you understand it as well as you think you do. This is all stuff I've learned over 10+ years.

The 3DS was in the same situation as the Wii U, and look where it is now.
    I do see where Nintendo is now. Now they're going to be competing with two consoles that, frankly speaking, have much higher horsepower than the Wii U. They blew their opportunity to essentially monopolize the 8th generation for an entire year. That's what I'm getting at. That's what the bottom line of my post was. And THAT'S why Nintendo needs to hire people that know this technology better.

True enough, but really the two offer very different experiences. You'll have some people who can really just pick one, but there will also be a lot of people who will get two, just so they can get those games that only Nintendo puts out.
    It doesn't matter what experiences they offer. Nintendo should have taken the extra year they had to make their console the must-have console.

That's a great way to make money. Spend more of it.
    You have to spend a little money to make a lot of money. If they had done this, the games would've been ready to go by launch, instead of a year after launch. Meanwhile when the Xbox One and PS4 come out, Nintendo would've been able to advertise their NEXT line of games.

Maybe you think they should have, and sure, it would have been nice; but that's not the reality. The reality is Nintendo isn't truly any worse off because these games aren't out yet. We get a rocky start versus a stale mid-life.
    I don't THINK they should have. It's an undeniable FACT that they should have. They had an opportunity and they blew it.

And I'm saying I don't see that as true. Because what Nintendo offers is fundamentally different from Microsoft and Sony. Maybe they could have sold a few more units, it wouldn't have been anything major. Impulse buyers at most. Anyone who really wanted to play these games and is waiting for them is going to get them.
    It doesn't matter that they're fundamentally different. They're VIDEO GAMES! They're always gonna BE VIDEO GAMES! They're in the same INDUSTRY as MS and Sony! You can call them whatever you want. But at the end of the day, they're still video games.

And yet they're doing pretty well for themselves.
    They'd be doing even better if they actually had people there that knew the technology better, instead of people that openly admitted to essentially not knowing what they were doing with HD games. Anyway, it's this kind of superiority complex that's keeping Nintendo trapped in the past, while the industry is evolving.

Nobody's saying that Nintendo won't sell consoles. I'm simply saying they'd be selling a lot more of them by now if the games (and incentive to buy them) were there.
    Last edited by SBaby; 11th July 2013 at 9:11 PM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

- Bruce Lee

- Willie 'Jack' Degel

I bought a Wii U at launch, and although I've had a few good experiences with it, I'm not very impressed with it overall. However, I would never consider selling my Wii U now. I am very optimistic about the upcoming games. I agree with SBaby, it's great the games are coming but they should've came sooner. It definitely feels that Nintendo is one step behind since they aren't used to developing in HD.
    I feel asleep.

So you're saying they should go back to the "Yamauchi era" and become shrewd, ruthless businessmen?

In all seriousness, you are taking it to the extreme. Nintendo has changed since 1985. They have evolved with different franchises and innovations. Mario and Zelda are top sellers for console games, sure, but Nintendo has more potential now and can deliver more than just that. That is what Adam Sessler (like I give a damn) doesn't understand.

Cipher sent us to hell - but we're going even deeper - take back every Pokemon that we've lost!
    Wakin, I'm already a demon...
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    So you're saying they should go back to the "Yamauchi era" and become shrewd, ruthless businessmen?
    No, I'm saying that IF they don't have the experience with HD technology (as they admitted), THEN they need to hire people that ARE experienced in it.

The thing you have to understand is Nintendo IS a business. Its job is to make money. It makes money by selling games and consoles. If the games aren't there, the consoles aren't going to sell. That's why I said they dropped the ball in the first year. They fumbled the ball, and it took them a year to pick it back up.

Mario and Zelda are top sellers for console games, sure, but Nintendo has more potential now and can deliver more than just that. That is what Adam Sessler (like I give a damn) doesn't understand.
    Well, where is the potential? What's out that can show the potential of the system?
    Last edited by SBaby; 11th July 2013 at 9:43 PM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

- Bruce Lee

- Willie 'Jack' Degel

No, I'm saying that IF they don't have the experience with HD technology (as they admitted), THEN they need to hire people that ARE experienced in it.
    Nothing says they can't learn and adapt. Besides, Pikmin 3.

The thing you have to understand is Nintendo IS a business. Its job is to make money. It makes money by selling games and consoles. If the games aren't there, the consoles aren't going to sell. That's why I said they dropped the ball in the first year. They fumbled the ball, and it took them a year to pick it back up.
    Should they be shrewd and ruthless? Yes, admittedly they could have had a better momentum, but that doesn't mean they can't pick it back up.

Cipher sent us to hell - but we're going even deeper - take back every Pokemon that we've lost!

Nothing says they can't learn and adapt. Besides, Pikmin 3.
    And Pikmin 3, while part of a good game series, isn't going to sell the console. Mario and Zelda are going to sell the console. Those are the games people want, and those are the games that should've been there at launch.
    A Winner Is You!!!

- Bruce Lee

- Willie 'Jack' Degel

And Pikmin 3, while part of a good game series, isn't going to sell the console. Mario and Zelda are going to sell the console. Those are the games people want, and those are the games that should've been there at launch.
    They have other trump cards. What you need to understand is that Nintendo has multiple franchises. If they haven't released a good Kirby, Pokemon, Starfox, F-Zero, Metroid, whatever series, on top of Mario and Zelda, then they would not being doing it right. The problem is that they released very few of any of these, but they could shape it up. Heck, the 3DS has a good library. Although Mario games are the top sellers (Pokemon and Zelda notwithstanding), it got some good fame for Kid Icarus: Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

Just to clarify, Mario and Zelda are very influential games, but it is narrow-minded to think that they are the only contenders. I may agree with you on one point: what does the average lay-gamer take from it?

Depends on what they do with the track design. The gravity doesn't add anything if it's just a single track that goes up the walls and upside like the Figure 8 track does. But if you can run up walls and ceilings for multiple paths (like this) that could be awesome. Given how Mario Kart tracks have fewer alternate paths, we probably won't be seeing much of that, though.
    I played the demo at best buy when they were doing the event. Two of the later tracks did have alternate paths.

The first one in the town allowed you to drive on walls doing tricks and get items. The second split into two branching paths that twisted around underwater, culminating in a hang glider launch. the kicker is that one of the paths had you launch from a wall on the side of the track causing you to twist yourself back to normal before hitting the track again.
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

They have other trump cards. What you need to understand is that Nintendo has multiple franchises. If they haven't released a good Kirby, Pokemon, Starfox, F-Zero, Metroid, whatever series, on top of Mario and Zelda, then they would not being doing it right. The problem is that they released very few of any of these, but they could shape it up. Heck, the 3DS has a good library. Although Mario games are the top sellers (Pokemon and Zelda notwithstanding), it got some good fame for Kid Icarus: Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

Just to clarify, Mario and Zelda are very influential games, but it is narrow-minded to think that they are the only contenders. I may agree with you on one point: what does the average lay-gamer take from it?
    Then where are these games? If they're all so great and they're intended to sell the console, why aren't they out?
    A Winner Is You!!!

- Bruce Lee

- Willie 'Jack' Degel

Then where are these games? If they're all so great and they're intended to sell the console, why aren't they out?
    I don't get the transition you are making. I said that they could do better.

New Super Mario Bros U, Nintendo Land, Game & Wario, and Pikmin 3 (soon coming out) are already on the table. There are more ambitious titles coming later on such as the new Zelda game and Smash Bros.

Page 142 of 175 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152 ... LastLast