Page 151 of 177 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 4410

Thread: Wii U Discussion Thread

  1. #3751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    I don't think it was ever just about the 3D graphics. Seeing a battle on a larger screen is much more impressive, not to mention how much better it looks on a console versus a low powered handheld. The console games never really had the same appeal as the main series games in the first place.
    Well, speaking from personal experience only, I'd say the 3D graphics were always a factor. Keeping in mind that prior to Crystal, all Pokemon games utilized 2D Sprites that weren't even animated, seeing the Pokemon in 3D graphics in Stadium/Stadium 2 was kind of a big deal. Even in Gens 3 and 4, the only animation was a brief, 2-second movement that only happened upon switching in, so it was always a visual upgrade of the grandest kind. Mind you, I wouldn't say it was the only reason for the games' appeal (far from it), but at the same time, it's silly to discount it as a whole.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

  2. #3752
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    Well, speaking from personal experience only, I'd say the 3D graphics were always a factor. Keeping in mind that prior to Crystal, all Pokemon games utilized 2D Sprites that weren't even animated, seeing the Pokemon in 3D graphics in Stadium/Stadium 2 was kind of a big deal. Even in Gens 3 and 4, the only animation was a brief, 2-second movement that only happened upon switching in, so it was always a visual upgrade of the grandest kind. Mind you, I wouldn't say it was the only reason for the games' appeal (far from it), but at the same time, it's silly to discount it as a whole.
    No, but just because the X/Y have animated 3D battles doesn't mean that no one wants a console battler. I'm not discounting it as a whole, I'm saying it's not wholly responsible for the game's success.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  3. #3753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    No, but just because the X/Y have animated 3D battles doesn't mean that no one wants a console battler. I'm not discounting it as a whole, I'm saying it's not wholly responsible for the game's success.
    No one's saying it's wholly responsible but it does play a fairly significant role.

    But, at the end of the day considering that Battle Revolution's reception was average at best, I think that at least implies that console battlers need a bit more than just the bare bones 3D battling. So if a console battler game were to come to the Wii U, it would need more than just that, since by today's standards it's no longer enough; the novelty of Stadium/Stadium 2 has worn off, hence the need for things like a strong singleplayer which Colosseum/XD incorporated.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

  4. #3754
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    The point is, dead gameplay can be brought back under the right circumstances. Looking at the current state of console Pokemon gaming, X and Y renders the current Stadium/Battle Revolution completely obsolete, the draw in a tournament add on on the big screen is gone when X and Y can do both the 3D graphics and the tournament system. So any future iteration of that series will see less and less appeal and at this point are not worth doing anymore. Add to that the new console has a new communication feature (Miiverse), the very thing that Game Freak cited as the reason they refuse to develop console games, and you have a scenario where it's entirely feasible for Colosseum/XD style gameplay to see a revival.
    It's contradictory to acknowledge that Stadium/Battle Revolution is going to be outdone by Pokemon X and Y, and then make the assertion that it's feasible that Colosseum and XD can see a revival. Since X and Y also plays as an RPG, hence making a revival for Colosseum/XD redundant, when the consumer can just pick up a cheaper console and game to get the same experience. The right timing would've been in the Wii era seeing how poorly received Battle Revolution was for being solely a battle simulator rather than a decent RPG like Colosseum/XD, but with the 3DS, advent of 3D Pokemon gaming, there is no more right circumstances for Colosseum/XD to flourish in the Wii U.

  5. #3755
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    No one's saying it's wholly responsible but it does play a fairly significant role.
    Bolt had said that X/Y had rendered Stadium like games obsolete because they offered 3D battles.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  6. #3756
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,113

    Default

    Actually a "Stadium" game wouldn't flourish on the Wii U, since their purpose was to display Pokemon in 3D. Which 6th Gen will now do. But Colo/XD were games with an actually storyline. People would be more inclined to buy that a another PBR.

    I'm not saying Shadow Pokemon will come back but a 3D Pokemon RPG title for the Wii U isn't wishful thinking.

  7. #3757
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    I don't think it was ever just about the 3D graphics. Seeing a battle on a larger screen is much more impressive, not to mention how much better it looks on a console versus a low powered handheld. The console games never really had the same appeal as the main series games in the first place.
    Visuals were a major part of it, though, since there was a stark contrast between the visuals of the main games and the visuals of Stadium/Stadium 2, making it a lot more exciting to see battles animated much more realistically. At this point, the Wii U doesn't have much to offer visually, the difference between 3DS graphics and Wii U graphics is less noticeable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Miiverse has nothing to do with anything. GameFreak keeps it on handhelds so you can bring it around with you, so you can interact with people in person, not just over the internet. They like that sort of community.
    That kind of community might work in Japan (IDK their culture enough to say on this), but in the west, face to face interaction doesn't really add to the experience. The communication itself is, though, and quite frankly refusing to develop a console Pokemon game on those grounds when online gaming and Miiverse can provide a unique and almost equivalent social experience is a ******** excuse if I ever heard one.

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    No one's saying it's wholly responsible but it does play a fairly significant role.

    But, at the end of the day considering that Battle Revolution's reception was average at best, I think that at least implies that console battlers need a bit more than just the bare bones 3D battling. So if a console battler game were to come to the Wii U, it would need more than just that, since by today's standards it's no longer enough; the novelty of Stadium/Stadium 2 has worn off, hence the need for things like a strong singleplayer which Colosseum/XD incorporated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Actually a "Stadium" game wouldn't flourish on the Wii U, since their purpose was to display Pokemon in 3D. Which 6th Gen will now do. But Colo/XD were games with an actually storyline. People would be more inclined to buy that a another PBR.


    I'm not saying Shadow Pokemon will come back but a 3D Pokemon RPG title for the Wii U isn't wishful thinking.
    Exactly my point, thank you. X and Y have essentially incorporated much of the appeal of the console battling games and incorporated them into the main gameplay, exposing the console battlers as being too shallow. The reception from that style of gameplay can only go down from Battle Revolution at this point. So yeah, they can't simply get away with a flashy battling game anymore, they need to step up their game and do something more.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  8. #3758
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    That kind of community might work in Japan (IDK their culture enough to say on this), but in the west, face to face interaction doesn't really add to the experience. The communication itself is, though, and quite frankly refusing to develop a console Pokemon game on those grounds when online gaming and Miiverse can provide a unique and almost equivalent social experience is a ******** excuse if I ever heard one.
    That may be true, but GameFreak definitely has no reason to change their minds now. Pokemon doesn't need help selling and the WiiU will do fine without it in the end.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  9. #3759
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    That may be true, but GameFreak definitely has no reason to change their minds now. Pokemon doesn't need help selling and the WiiU will do fine without it in the end.
    Well yeah, it doesn't need to happen really, but it's disappointing if we don't get some sort of console battling game, and their logic behind having Stadium/Battle Revolution style over Colosseum/XD style doesn't really hold up anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  10. #3760
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia,PA,USA
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Well yeah, it doesn't need to happen really, but it's disappointing if we don't get some sort of console battling game, and their logic behind having Stadium/Battle Revolution style over Colosseum/XD style doesn't really hold up anymore.
    What if the potential game was both? There would be a story mode you'd have to clear out first and then you could transfer Pokémon from your 3DS to your game and battle Stadium style?

    Then there could be prizes and stuff you could buy like past console games had. I'd love to have a Pokémon Wii U Stadium style game and could use two gamepads at once. One for each player. Minigames would be nice too...

    I'm asking for way too much haha but people would be interested in it at least




    Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

    HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

    White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

  11. #3761
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    What if the potential game was both? There would be a story mode you'd have to clear out first and then you could transfer Pokémon from your 3DS to your game and battle Stadium style?
    Both Colosseum and XD already had Stadium modes in addition to their story modes where you could do just that.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  12. #3762
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Well yeah, it doesn't need to happen really, but it's disappointing if we don't get some sort of console battling game, and their logic behind having Stadium/Battle Revolution style over Colosseum/XD style doesn't really hold up anymore.
    As I've said before, the thing is X and Y is going to play a lot like Stadium/Battle Revolution through (potentially) Streetpass, and Wi-Fi Battling, then it's also going to play a lot like Colosseum/XD through X and Y's story...so really, both potential revivals are outdated and won't really help slumping Wii U sales when people can just go get a cheaper 3(2)DS and X and Y.

  13. #3763
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post
    As I've said before, the thing is X and Y is going to play a lot like Stadium/Battle Revolution through (potentially) Streetpass, and Wi-Fi Battling, then it's also going to play a lot like Colosseum/XD through X and Y's story...so really, both potential revivals are outdated and won't really help slumping Wii U sales when people can just go get a cheaper 3(2)DS and X and Y.
    You mistakenly believe that the handheld and console games would be in competition with each other, which would not be the case. The console games are always designed to enhance the main game experience, not necessarily replace it. The best thing they can do for a console Pokemon game is make a game that can benefit from connecting with the 6th gen games, but still be enjoyable by itself. Colosseum/XD were much better at this than Stadium/Battle Revolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  14. #3764

    Default

    Kotaku's review of Rayman Legends says that Murfy Mode was solely meant for the Wii U version for its touchpad scheme. The other versions are somewhat unresponsive to that mode.

  15. #3765
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Idols
    Posts
    1,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Kotaku's review of Rayman Legends says that Murfy Mode was solely meant for the Wii U version for its touchpad scheme. The other versions are somewhat unresponsive to that mode.
    Eww kotaku

    Though that makes sense, given it was originally an exlcusive
    Last edited by hawkeye721; 3rd September 2013 at 11:17 PM.
    3DS FC:4253-3982-7075 ~ MAL

  16. #3766
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    980

    Default

    I don't suppose there is anything I can do so I don't have to be forced to use the Gamepad to do certain things, like entering my password for Nintendo Network.
    3DS FC: 2062-9321-2774

  17. #3767
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XD Mewtwo View Post
    I don't suppose there is anything I can do so I don't have to be forced to use the Gamepad to do certain things, like entering my password for Nintendo Network.
    Some things require the GamePad, but for anything that doesn't making sure the GamePad is off will allow you to use a Pro Controller instead.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  18. #3768
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The House That Never Was
    Posts
    1,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    And yet despite those similarities, no one will ever play one of the Orre titles - which have long since been buried and forgotten even within the franchise itself, making it all the more puzzling how people continue to think the concept is still considered viable and a candidate for revival - and confuse them for any one of the core titles.

    I believe that's at least part of the point being made here, that desite their similarities, a pair of side titles nearly a decade defunct don't really inform the present or the future of the franchise to any appreciable degree.
    I disagree, because I personally just replayed Colosseum this summer! I also replayed XD several times over the last few years, more than I have Diamond, Black, or any of the main series games. I think that console games in the Colosseum style are still plausible.
    "Your memories are connected, like links in a chain. Those same chains are what anchor us all together."
    -Naminé


    Pokemon X Team - French Playthrough
    *COMPLETE*
    Amphinobi | Noctali | Mentali | Farfaduvet | Darumacho | Carchakrok
    3DS FC: 0430 - 9679 - 6068
    IGN: Micah
    Friend Safari Type: Fire
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Magmar, Ninetales, Charmeleon


        Spoiler:- Credits, etc.:


  19. #3769

    Default

    Incredibly, that you played Colosseum and XD recently and/or more so than other games doesn't dispute any of the points I made.


    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  20. #3770
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Are there still issues connecting to the internet with the Wii U? I got a Wii U last Christmas and sold it because I rarely ever played it. With the surge of games coming out I am thinking about buying the Wind Waker bundle when it comes out. Are the systems as glitchy as they were around launch? I hope they'd have things figured out by now.

  21. #3771
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Italia View Post
    Are there still issues connecting to the internet with the Wii U? I got a Wii U last Christmas and sold it because I rarely ever played it. With the surge of games coming out I am thinking about buying the Wind Waker bundle when it comes out. Are the systems as glitchy as they were around launch? I hope they'd have things figured out by now.
    Things have certainly gotten since then. I don't remember mine having troubles connecting to the internet recently. Actually, there have been issues, but that's because my router is ****. I do recommend getting the Wind Waker bundle.

    Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

  22. #3772
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Italia View Post
    Are there still issues connecting to the internet with the Wii U? I got a Wii U last Christmas and sold it because I rarely ever played it. With the surge of games coming out I am thinking about buying the Wind Waker bundle when it comes out. Are the systems as glitchy as they were around launch? I hope they'd have things figured out by now.
    I hadn't heard of any issues with connecting to the internet. Only real 'issue' that I heard tell of and experienced was just that the OS was slow, which has been vastly improved a few months ago.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  23. #3773

    Default

    Never had issues, either. If I did, then it's pretty much my router.

  24. #3774
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    631

    Default

    I would always get errors when trying to use apps and sometimes when I turned my Wii U off, the blue light would stay on. It could be that I had a glitchy system, but I read of others who had similar troubles around launch/Christmas. I figure I'll end up buying one eventually because there are so many games coming out, so the bundle is perfect. Does anyone know how much space Wind Waker would take up?

  25. #3775
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Italia View Post
    I would always get errors when trying to use apps and sometimes when I turned my Wii U off, the blue light would stay on. It could be that I had a glitchy system, but I read of others who had similar troubles around launch/Christmas. I figure I'll end up buying one eventually because there are so many games coming out, so the bundle is perfect. Does anyone know how much space Wind Waker would take up?
    Sounds like it was a defective system to me. As for WWHD's size, no way to tell yet. But you'll have your answer come Friday.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Page 151 of 177 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •