View Poll Results: Which is the most Outrageous (funny, stupid, unbelievable) Hoax? non-members can vote

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cardiff Giant, a supposedly petrified giant, actually carved from gypsum (1869)

1 12.50%
  • Living Diplocaulas (extinct lizard) discovered, clay model (2004)

1 12.50%
  • Mary Toft supposedly gave birth to rabbit and cat parts following a miscarriage (1726)

3 37.50%
  • Smoking Banana Peels to get high, aka bananadine (1960s-70s, re-emerged in 1990s)

3 37.50%
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Serebii Paranormal & Crypto-zoological Society

I think I'll go with my least favorite gen of all time: Gen 2.

I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

Alright, here's what I came up with.
    Beheeyem (Alien)
    Whimsicott(vegetable lamb)
    Sigilyph(Nazca Lines Not exactly paranormal, but close enough I thought I'd include it in voting)
    Yamask/Cofagrigus(Mummy/Ghost/Coffin)
    Litwick/Lampent/Chandelure(Ghost Chandelere)
    Hydregion(Hydra)
    Munna/Musharna(Baku)
    If you think I should have put anything else down, let me know and I'll edit the post.
    Last edited by Asbestospoison; 7th January 2012 at 9:32 PM.

Sentret is based off of a Tanuki. ...unfortunately it's based off of a real one, not a mythical one so it doesn't count.

Cleffa is based off of a falling star. ...if that counts.

Gilgar is based off of whatever they called "Gargoyle Bat" in CastleVania Bloodlines. (Since 0 out of 1,000,000,000 people know what the damn thing's called.)

ESPeon is based off of a Nekomata, the two tailed cat.

Both Misdreavis and Murkrow are Witch based creatures, since Witches are technically mythical.

Sloking is losely based off of Sazae-Oni, a sea demon distinguished by it's spiny shell. ...I've never even heard of this guy, yet it's been in more videogames than I would expect from something I've never heard of.

Sneasle is based off of a Kamaitachi, japanese sickle weasle demon known to knock people out, slash wounds in their body, and seal same wounds. ...Much like the laser machine from Logan's Run.

Dunsparce is based off of Tsuchinoku, a Japanese myth dating long ago.

Delibird is based off of Santa Claus. Not the first thing people think of when they think of mythical, but I guess it counts.

Houndoom's are based off of Hellhounds, which is kind of obvious. ...Ugh, this is probably going to get picked, just my pits. Everyone likes Houndoom except me.

Raikou is based of of the thunder demon, Raiju, especially considering its name rhymes.

Entei's are based off of Chinese Guard Lions, also known as Shishi, Komainu, or Lions of Foo. ...That's odd. Isn't Arcanine based off the same thing?

Bulbapedia says Suicine is based off of Qilin/Kirin, but I just don't see it. It doesn't resemble any rendition of Kirin I've ever seen.

Lugia is based of of Ryujin, a dragon god that lived on the sea floor.

Ho-oh is based off the Fenghuang Phoenix of Chineese origin.

Celebi could be based off of multiple myths, actually.

...Any I missed?

I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

Quote Originally Posted by MugoUrth View Post
    ...Any I missed?
    Xatu, maybe?
    And don't worry, I never liked Houndoom either.

You all missed the PM the lists to me instead of posting them request. Asbestospoison, you missed the Munna line (Baku), and omitted some poke which were in the same line as pokes you posted, but represented diffrent things or in cases like Elgyem were just as good, if not better representations.

Some like Deilbird, I'll be throwing out based on associations.
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken

(Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

Today's Fact: Angry shellfish harvesters used to cut up starfish they found eating their shellfish. A starfish can regenerate from any piece that contains a reasonable portion of the starfish's core (some species only need part of an arm). I'll let you figure out the result.

Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    You all missed the PM the lists to me instead of posting them request. Asbestospoison, you missed the Munna line (Baku), and omitted some poke which were in the same line as pokes you posted, but represented diffrent things or in cases like Elgyem were just as good, if not better representations.

Some like Deilbird, I'll be throwing out based on associations.
    Wow, sorry. Didn't see that. I'll edit the post to add the munna line.
    Last edited by Asbestospoison; 7th January 2012 at 9:33 PM.

Thanks, I guess it works just posting them here, then everyone can double check. I'll post my list later, I don't have it with me at the moment.

Any of you watch Ghost Hunters? (Or something similar?) I prefer the 'ghost/monster hunter' shows where they take a more scientific approach. My friend had mentioned another, Ghost Labs or something, but they seemed to be to ready to claim anything was paranormal.

(Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

Today's Fact: Angry shellfish harvesters used to cut up starfish they found eating their shellfish. A starfish can regenerate from any piece that contains a reasonable portion of the starfish's core (some species only need part of an arm). I'll let you figure out the result.

Thanks, I guess it works just posting them here, then everyone can double check. I'll post my list later, I don't have it with me at the moment.

Any of you watch Ghost Hunters? (Or something similar?) I prefer the 'ghost/monster hunter' shows where they take a more scientific approach. My friend had mentioned another, Ghost Labs or something, but they seemed to be to ready to claim anything was paranormal.
    I've never seen that show, I'll have to check it out sometime. And should I look at some other gens pokemon, like III?

Sure, it needs someone to sort it too.

Sure, it needs someone to sort it too.
    Alright, I'll edit this post for 3rd Gen soon then.
    EDIT:
    Shiftry(Tengu)
    Shedinja(Angel)
    Sableye(Hopkinsville Goblin)
    Altaria(Peng)
    Claydol(Dogu)
    Shuppet/Banette(Possesed Toys. Shuppet is also based off the Teru teru bozu)
    Duskull/Dusclops(Ghosts, Mummy)
    Absol(Bai Ze)
    Bagon/Shelgon/Salamence(Dragons)
    The Regi's(Golems, from Hebrew legends)
    Kyogre(Leviathan)
    Groudon(Behemoth)
    Rayquaza(Ziz,Lindworm)
    Deoxys(Alien)

As you can see, I've linked to the wikipedia articles for many of these, as I'm too lazy to type anything myself.
    Last edited by Asbestospoison; 8th January 2012 at 3:06 AM. Reason: Added Pokemon

(Just a heads up, VampirateMace has accepted me as a member.)

Great to be here. I'll take a look at Gen 4 for a mascot in a little bit.

As for show like Ghost Hunters and Monster Quest, I have never seen Ghost hunters, but I used to watch Monster Quest. I honestly don't like it because they have never found any conclusive evidence. Its kinda all hype and speculation.

As for the Baba Yaga, I have a theory about that cryptid. I think It might be a surviving member of the theropod dinosaur famliy. Thats the two legged, meat eaters. I think the chicken leg part supports this the most, because the feet and legs of theropods are extremely similar to that of a bird. Also, it mentions the house. If Baba yaga was smaller, people would see an animal eating a human. But as a giant meat eating dinosaur, they would just see a human dissapear into the mouth, which may be mistaken for a door. No doubt that the size of, lets say, a T-rex; the only thing humans would relate to something that big would be a house on legs. Thats just my theory anyway.
    3DS FC: 4081-5902-7378 Add Me!
        Spoiler:- My Champion Teams:

Credit to Forever and Again art shop

Credit to VampirateMace for the Banner

Quote Originally Posted by Grassmaster411 View Post
    As for the Baba Yaga, I have a theory about that cryptid. I think It might be a surviving member of the theropod dinosaur famliy. Thats the two legged, meat eaters. I think the chicken leg part supports this the most, because the feet and legs of theropods are extremely similar to that of a bird. Also, it mentions the house. If Baba yaga was smaller, people would see an animal eating a human. But as a giant meat eating dinosaur, they would just see a human dissapear into the mouth, which may be mistaken for a door. No doubt that the size of, lets say, a T-rex; the only thing humans would relate to something that big would be a house on legs. Thats just my theory anyway.
    Actually, huts built to stand on split logs resembling chicken legs were commonly built by nomads and pagans in some areas, it's possible the hut is an interpretation of a Slavic Hunter or something seeing an elderly woman enter one of these houses. And I don't exactly see how a witch has any similarities with dinosaurs, but I could be missing something.
    And welcome, btw.
    Last edited by Asbestospoison; 8th January 2012 at 6:02 PM.

Yeah, I think there was a bit of miscommunication there, Baba Yaga is a witch. Maybe you need to read a bit slower when trying to catch up, Grassmaster.

Do you want me to do Gen 4?

Do you want me to do Gen 4?
    I'll take that one.
    Pokemon isn't real, I'm sorry

But I already started on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRaikou View Post
    I'll take that one.
    Actually, I think grassmaster said he'd do that.

Oh, okay.

One thing you didn't mention Asbestospoison: Emboar is based off of the sidekick of Sun Wukong, the main protagonist of an old story known as Journey to the West. Infernape is based off of Sun Wukong himself.

Oh, okay.

One thing you didn't mention Asbestospoison: Emboar is based off of the sidekick of Sun Wukong, the main protagonist of an old story known as Journey to the West. Infernape is based off of Sun Wukong himself.
    I don't really see a need to add that, as Journey to the West is a novel, not actually a part of mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestospoison View Post
    I don't really see a need to add that, as Journey to the West is a novel, not actually a part of mythology.
    What about mythological gods? Do they con't? If so, then you could use Victini (Nike)

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestospoison View Post
    Some stories are also derived from myths, as well as some myths derived from stories. Journey to the West might have been inspired by several myths. just saying.

What about mythological gods? Do they con't? If so, then you could use Victini (Nike)
    I think they would, but I always thought victini was a cross between a fennec fox and a method of cutting apples to make them look like rabbits…

Yeah, I think there was a bit of miscommunication there, Baba Yaga is a witch. Maybe you need to read a bit slower when trying to catch up, Grassmaster.

I more meant that the whole entire Baba yaga, including the house that walks on giant chicken legs, may be a passed down story of enounters with a large, theropod dinosaur. Strange sounds that a theropod could make might be mistaken for the moaning of a supernatural being. I'm not saying I'm sure this is the case, but I do think that it is the most probable source of the myth. Thats just my opinion/theory anyway.

Heres my list for 4th gen. Sorry that its probably missing alot.

Grotle: Stegosaur/ankylosaur

Torterra: Ankylosaur/Native American Legend

Cranidos: Surviving pachycephalosaurus or relative

Rampardos: Surviving pachycephalosaurus or relative

Sheildon: Survivng ceratopsian

Bastiodon: Suviving ceratopsian

Honchkrow: Witch/warlock

Mismagius: ghost/witch

Bronzor: Possesed artifact

Brongzong: Possesed artifact

Abomasnow: Yeti

Snover: Baby yeti?

Lucario: Anubis/ Werewolf

Riolu: baby werewolf

Spiritomb: Jibaruki

Gible: Bunyip

Gabite: Gargoyle

Garchomp: Dragon

Rhyperior: Golem/dinosaur

Togekiss: Angel

Yanmega: Surviving Meganuera (a prehistoric dragonfly with a 3 foot wingspan)

Electivire: bigfoot

Tangrowth: shaggy caveman/grassman

Gliscor: Vampire/ Yowie Yahoo/ Gremlin/ Jersey Devil

Mamoswine: Suviving mammoth or mastodon

Dusknoir: Grim Reaper

Frosslass: Yuki-onna

Rotom: Ghost that posses things

Dialga: Inzanami

Palkia: Inzanagi

Darkrai: Morpheus

Arceus: God

How about Cresselia. It's Alkonost and Sarimanok

How about Cresselia. It's Alkonost and Sarimanok
    I.... have no idea what those things are.

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast