View Poll Results: Which is the most Outrageous (funny, stupid, unbelievable) Hoax? non-members can vote

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cardiff Giant, a supposedly petrified giant, actually carved from gypsum (1869)

1 12.50%
  • Living Diplocaulas (extinct lizard) discovered, clay model (2004)

1 12.50%
  • Mary Toft supposedly gave birth to rabbit and cat parts following a miscarriage (1726)

3 37.50%
  • Smoking Banana Peels to get high, aka bananadine (1960s-70s, re-emerged in 1990s)

3 37.50%
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Serebii Paranormal & Crypto-zoological Society

Quote Originally Posted by Grassmaster411 View Post
    I.... have no idea what those things are.
    Neither do I
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRaikou View Post
    Neither do I
    umm, then why did you say it? Is it just gibberish?
    3DS FC: 4081-5902-7378 Add Me!
        Spoiler:- My Champion Teams:

Credit to Forever and Again art shop

Credit to VampirateMace for the Banner

Are dinosaurs considered paranormal, cryptid, or mythological? I also have to question these:
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassmaster411
    Electivire: bigfoot

Tangrowth: shaggy caveman/grassman

Gliscor: Vampire/ Yowie Yahoo/ Gremlin/ Jersey Devil

Mamoswine: Suviving mammoth or mastodon
    Cavemen aren't really paranormal, just dead.
    Same thing with Mammoths.
    Also, I'm kind of at a loss as to what some of these, namely what dialga and palkia are supposed to be. Could you please explain?

Great work guys. Now, understand that I will be throwing some of these out; ones that associate too strongly with a certain religions or holidays, or are less than tasteful.

AP: I'm with you on cavemen... but mammoths, have a mythological side. Scientist working in Siberia have to get he local shaman/guru's permission to study mammoths that come up through the permafrost, because they are believed to be creatures of the underworld. Also Elephant or Mammoth fossils may be responsible for the Cyclops legends.

I'm still finishing up sorting Gen 1, but go ahead and post any last minute entries for consideration.
    Problematic Paranormal Files

The Gravity Falls Fanclub | My Twitter: @CleverKraken

Today's Fact: The Little Mermaid was the last Disney animation with hand painted cels.

Meh, good enough for me. How exactly will the voting work? Or is it my job to figure that out, since I'm the contest mod?

No, I've got this one.
    I'll be compiling the selected pokemon into groups of similar creatures, then I'll post the group lists (one at a time), and have everyone vote for their favorite 2 out of that group. Then once we've voted on all the groups, we'll do tournment voting of the remaining pokemon, where we'll only vote between 2 at a time.

EDIT:
    here's the groups I plan to use:

Ghosts, Possessions, and Undead:
    Dragons:
    Demons, and ‘Dark’ Creatures:
    Fairies and ‘Light’ Creatures:
    Humanoids (Golems, Aliens, Bigfeet) :
    Cryptids, Relics, and Real Animal Variants:

EDIT 2:
    Gen 1

Charmander (Fire Salamander)

Charizard (European Dragon)

Nidoran M (Almiraj)
    Nidorino (Almiraj)

Clefairy (Fairy)
    Clefable (Fairy)

Vulpix (Demon Fox)
    Ninetales (Nine Tailed Demon Fox)

Abra (Psychic)
    Kadabra (Psychic)
    Alakazam (Psychic)

Graveler (Golem)
    Golem (Golem)

Arbok (Basilisk?)

Rapidash (Unicorn)

Gastly (Ghost)
    Haunter (Ghost)
    Gengar (Ghost)

Drowzee (Baku)
    Hypno (Baku, Hypnotist)

Rhydon (Extinct Rhino)

Exeggutor (Jinmenju)

Tangela (Medusa, Green Man)

Gyarados (Sea Serpent)
    Lapras (Nessie, plesiosaurus)

Aero dactyl (pterosaurs, wyvern)

Articuno (Roc, Rokh)
    Zapdos (Thunderbird, Impundulu)
    Moltres (Pheniox, Suzaku)

Dratini (Eastern Dragon)
    Dragon air (Eastern Dragon)
    Dragonite (European Dragin, Sea Dragon)
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 9th January 2012 at 4:30 AM.

Today's Fact: The Little Mermaid was the last Disney animation with hand painted cels.

umm, then why did you say it? Is it just gibberish?
    I looked it up on bulbapedia.
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestospoison View Post
    Are dinosaurs considered paranormal, cryptid, or mythological? I also have to question these:

Cavemen aren't really paranormal, just dead.
    Same thing with Mammoths.
    Also, I'm kind of at a loss as to what some of these, namely what dialga and palkia are supposed to be. Could you please explain?
    Cavemen (aka neanderthals) may be responsible to the entire bigfoot story altogether. I'ts just an idea, but it seemed a good idea to post more than less.

Dialga and Palkia come from a ancient Japanese legend of beings that made an island and a large, spear shaped tower within it.

Mammoths may still be alive today, which puts them in the cryptid category: Previously thought to be extinct. The Tasmainian Tiger also falls into that category.

Rotom: Ghost that posses things
    Poltergeist. ...They're called Poltergeists.

Also, some of those, like Garchomp, seem to be guesses more than answers.

I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

I've been double checking the lists. Dialga and Palkia have disqualified, not only do they represent a modern religion, but Palkia has some unflattering press floating around.

Poltergeist don't necessarily posses anything, throw things and make noises yes. Some claims are that they're not even ghosts, but stressed people with ESP.
    ____

Anyways voting starts now:

Alright, I’ve weeded our selections; removing overly religious/holiday pokemon (w/ exception for ancient religious figures, ex. Greek and Egyptian gods), ones with un-tasteful aspects, and ones that were vague or didn’t really fit. I’ve also edited their info, and neatly organized them into groups. (I also added another group, Plants and Nature Guardians.) If you’re concerned that a creature is missing or in the wrong group; please keep in mind that these are rather loosely named groups, I am only human and not perfect, and that some creatures may belong to more than one group or may have been disqualified for various reasons.

Below is the Group 1. Please select 2 pokemon from that group that you would like to see move onto Tournament Stage of mascot selection. The 2 pokemon with the most votes will move on (14 in total from 7 Groups). Please respect each other’s votes and rights to vote, if you feel differently than someone else then vote for the pokemon you want, don’t pick on them or question their choice.

You now have roughly 48 hours to cast your vote.

Group 1: Ghosts, Possessions, and Undead:
    Gastly (Ghost)
    Haunter (Ghost)
    Gengar (Ghost)
    Yamask (Ghost w/ Death Mask)
    Cofagrigus (Mummy w/ Sarcophagus)
    Litwick (Flame Ghost - Candle)
    Lampent (Flame Ghost - Lamp)
    Chandelure (Flame Ghost - Chandelier/Candelabra)
    Misdreavis (Ghost, Witch)
    Shuppet (Possessed hand puppet, Teru teru bozu)
    Banette (Possessed Marionette)
    Duskull (Ghost, Wraith)
    Dusclops (Mummy)
    Mismagius (Ghost, Witch)
    Spiritomb (Jibaruki, Legion, Crystal ball)
    Rotom (Ghost, Possessor)
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 10th January 2012 at 5:58 AM.

Group 1: Haunter and Mismagmius

@VampirateMace: Sorry about Dialga and Palkia. I thought it was an ancient religion

Group 1: Rotom and Spiritomb

Group 1: Yamask and Rotom

It's fine. And it's acturally a common misconception. Shinto is still in use today, but since many Asian people acturally follow multiple religions, it's hard to tell. In some areas of Japan they have a saying something along the lines of, 'You're born a Shinto, You marry as a Buddist, and You're buried as a Christian.'

Oh, and as for my vote... I think: Haunter and Duskull
    ___

EDIT: I'm working on adding some new World News stories to the first post... let me know which types of stories you're intrested in me posting more of in the future, and which ones you find boring.
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 10th January 2012 at 5:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    It's fine. And it's acturally a common misconception. Shinto is still in use today, but since many Asian people acturally follow multiple religions, it's hard to tell. In some areas of Japan they have a saying something along the lines of, 'You're born a Shinto, You marry as a Buddist, and You're buried as a Christian.'

Oh, and as for my vote... I think: Haunter and Duskull
    ___

EDIT: I'm working on adding some new World News stories to the first post... let me know which types of stories you're intrested in me posting more of in the future, and which ones you find boring.
    So can we not use Tangrowth due to it's resemblance to the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
    And the stories I find more interesting would be the sightings.

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestospoison View Post
    And the stories I find more interesting would be the sightings.
    I agree. Cryptid sightings, unidentified animals, strange occurances, and things along those lines would pike my interest the most.

Also, can we post links to videos that show cryptids and unidentified creatures?

I already PMed my vote to Vampirate Mace, but I chose Yanmask and Bannette.

I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

It looks like Haunter and Yamask are tied...

I'd like to join this group. I am a firm believer in Aliens, Ghosts, Sylphs, Salamanders (the Elemental not the animal), and Demons. As for cryptids like Bigfoot...I'm not sure. But I would like to join this club!
    May the God watch you
    May the Goddess be with you
    And may the light guide you

Spoiler:- Credits:

I'm pretty sure Tangrowth was not intended to be FSM. I would love to post stories about sightings, but I have to go with what acturally makes the news... like those guys a while back who'd claimed to have shot a bigfoot, but never delivered it to be tested. But if I come across any of those I will be sure to post them in the News section. Posting videos is fine, as long as you aren't adveristing your account or website.

Gaiano: No, at least not yet, you didn't read the rules. Please delete your post, read the rules and follow them if you acturally want to join. You also appear to have less than 25 forum posts, which isn't enough to join. If you really have more I'll check that after receving a PM.

I'll post the results and the next group in a couple/few hours. It'll be added to this post if no one else posts before then, so keep a lookout for it.

Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    I'm pretty sure Tangrowth was not intended to be FSM. I would love to post stories about sightings, but I have to go with what acturally makes the news... like those guys a while back who'd claimed to have shot a bigfoot, but never delivered it to be tested. But if I come across any of those I will be sure to post them in the News section. Posting videos is fine, as long as you aren't adveristing your account or website.

Gaiano: No, at least not yet, you didn't read the rules. Please delete your post, read the rules and follow them if you acturally want to join. You also appear to have less than 25 forum posts, which isn't enough to join. If you really have more I'll check that after receving a PM.

I'll post the results and the next group in a couple/few hours. It'll be added to this post if no one else posts before then, so keep a lookout for it.
    I was joking, Pastafarianism isn't even a real religion, XD.

Sorry for not posting here in a while guys, just a question though, I want to take a vote on how a signature should look. Because I am going to do one for this club, so any member here can submit what they feel it should look like, and I will try to incorporate as many ideas as possible.
    Rainbow:

Like I couldn’t figure that out… a holiday called Holiday.

Okay Guys, we have a 3 way tie, so it looks like Haunter (Ghost), Yamask (Ghost w/ Death Mask), and Rotom (Ghost, Possessor) will all move onto the tournament round.

Below is the second Group. Vote for the 2 dragons you’d like to see move on. I struggled with Lugia, Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza, since none of them are gods or strongly recognized I decided to let them in.

Group 2: Dragons:
    Charizard (European Dragon)
    Gyarados (Sea Serpent)
    Dratini (Eastern Dragon)
    Dragonair (Eastern Dragon)
    Dragonite (European Dragon, Sea Dragon)
    Hydregion (Hydra)
    & Lugia (Ryujin)
    Salamence (Dragon)
    Kyogre (Leviathan)
    Groudon (Behemoth)
    Rayquaza (Ziz)
    Garchomp (Dragon, Landshark)
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 11th January 2012 at 9:43 PM.

Kyogre and Charizard FTW
    Rainbow:

Again, I choose Gyrados and Salamence not because I like them, but because they reperesent Crypto-Zooligy the best IMO.

Also, I don't think Garchomp counts, as he's not really based off of a true cryptid/myth. He has Dragon type, but he's not a dragon himself. He's based more off of dinosaurs, actually.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast