View Poll Results: Which is the most Outrageous (funny, stupid, unbelievable) Hoax? non-members can vote

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cardiff Giant, a supposedly petrified giant, actually carved from gypsum (1869)

1 12.50%
  • Living Diplocaulas (extinct lizard) discovered, clay model (2004)

1 12.50%
  • Mary Toft supposedly gave birth to rabbit and cat parts following a miscarriage (1726)

3 37.50%
  • Smoking Banana Peels to get high, aka bananadine (1960s-70s, re-emerged in 1990s)

3 37.50%
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Serebii Paranormal & Crypto-zoological Society

No, but that sounds like fun. I don't think I'd buy anything either:
    1) You don't know what you're inviting into your house, if they're trying to get rid of it, it might mean it's pretty bad.
    2) If you live with other people, it's not fair to them to bring in a possesed item, even if you feel you can handle it.
    Problematic Paranormal Files

The Gravity Falls Fanclub | My Twitter: @CleverKraken

Today's Fact: The Little Mermaid was the last Disney animation with hand painted cels.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmeh View Post
    Anyone ever take a look at the supposed "haunted/paranormal items" section at ebay? I don't believe any of them (though I will say, one of the paintings seriously gave me the creeps), but I'm not about to buy one.
    By simply typing up "paranormal", I found this.
    Ardent user of anything Rock, Steel, Ground, or Fire
    3DS FC: 4296-3229-5439
    Credit to Mochi10 for the userbar/Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner

Your link isn't working (or eBay is down). Please, remind me of your old username so I don't make a mistake updating the Member List.

Today's Fact: The Little Mermaid was the last Disney animation with hand painted cels.

Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    Your link isn't working (or eBay is down). Please, remind me of your old username so I don't make a mistake updating the Member List.
    My old username was Specter Vyle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARANORMAL-H...item35cc7b867e

There we go. Despite the eerie image and and the title being strangely specific, I'm skeptic. Still, something to speculate about.

cagedWINGS - please delete your post, and go read the Membership Guidelines in the first post. Follow the instructions (there is no actural form), and we'll be happy to let you join. Please also, be sure to read the Rules.

EDIT:
    Added 4 new news stories to the news section, going to go do some housekeeping on the news section now...

EDIT II:
    I think I might need to move the old news to the second post in the thread or drop it off... the first post is getting hard to update (it lags due to it's size).

EDIT III:
    Added a news story about Evidence of Bigfoot!
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 4th October 2013 at 5:55 PM.

omg I can't believe someone brought that creepy doll. .____.;;

Didn't the Dybbuk (sp?) in the wine box (that got a movie based on it) got passed on to the other people like that? Who knows what else lies in the haunting aisle of ebay heh.

Here's what I found... http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARANORMAL-H...item3cd68ffac7

Wow, read the description o__o

Oh and read about the underwater circles being made by pufferfish, I thought that was so cute and funny cuz I imagined a pufferfish just minding his own business making the decoration and then when he leaves people go "omg crop circle under water!!1". idk I just found that as funny XD

O__o It says he sold it once and was returned back to him :O could be legit!
    Last edited by MileniaKitsune; 11th December 2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: *added from a second post (now deleted), as to not double post.
        Spoiler:- My Shinies:

Top favs:

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...ogical-Society

MK - don't double post (did I already send you a note about this? apologies if I did). That box doesn't look too legit to me, it looks freshly made, there's no age damage to the twine or the wax, and no dust. Maybe they cleaned it, but then there should be dust at the edges of the wax, or damage to the wax.

Added more news!

EDIT:
    Once everyone takes a break from X/Y, I've added a new news article on Haunted Houses that are for Sale... spooky. October is a good time for paranormal news.
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 13th October 2013 at 6:04 AM.

Has anyone here heard of "The Goat Man"?

From Wikipedia:
    According to legend, Goatman is an axe-wielding, half-man, half-animal creature that was once a scientist who worked in the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center. The tale holds that he was experimenting on goats, the experiment went awry, and he began attacking cars with an axe, roaming the back roads of Beltsville, Maryland. A variation of the legend tells of Goatman as an old hermit who lives in the woods, seen walking alone at night along Fletchertown Road.

Folklorist at the University of Maryland Barry Lee Pearson said modern examples of folk legends like Goatman are most commonly generated by teenagers, and the stories end up stirring interest in sites like Fletchertown Road.
    I actually just heard of it not long ago--listening to "Mr.Creepypasta" on Youtube read: "Anasi's Goatman Story".
    I will be on here very, very rarely. The account is not dead, per se, but I will not be on often. This has become a den of hatred, hostility, and anger. It is not the SPPF it was when I joined, and I really dislike coming here. To those of you who were nice to me and were my friend, thank you. Goodbye.
    3DS FC: 1950 7837 2016
    Name: Nicole
    Electric Friend Safari. Pokemon: Dedenne, Pikachu, Manectric
    Before you try to act superior to someone else on here, remember that no matter how much of an "internet cool-guy" you think you are, this is a Pokemon forum.

No, I heard something of a 'sheep-man' once, a shaggy white half-sheep, half-man, up in Alaska (I think). Where, surprise, surprise, mountain Goats which can be hard to make out from a distance, live, as well as polar bears, who have the ablity to stand upright and would look manish from a distance.

You seem to have stumbled upon an urban legend that's still in it's earlier stages of development.

EDIT:
    Added more news; Roswell, Witchcraft, and Earhart's Plane...
    Also, I moved to old news to the second post because the Editing Lag was getting really annoying.
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 15th October 2013 at 3:01 AM.

Hey guys. Sorry I've been so inactive. Here's something to make up for it. Remember when we were choosing a mascot, and we had to go through all the pokemon up to gen 5, trying to match up each pokemon with a cryptid/paranormal related thing? Well, I decided to do that for gen 6. Keep in mind that this list is in no way complete, and a lot of it is guessing. Let me know what you guys think.

Spoiler:- Spoilers:

Finally, after some freelance research, I found some interesting information. Remember when we were discussing the Puerto Rican Chupacabra's origins? Well, it turns out, there were species of giant ground sloths living on Puerto Rico roughly 5,000 years ago. Unlike their mainland cousins, these sloths didn't get bigger than a medium sized dog, but they were likely ground dwellers. They also were skinnier and had thinner limbs than regular giant ground sloths. I think these guys may be partly responsible for the myth. I'll keep you guys updated as I find out more information.
    Last edited by Grassmaster411; 17th October 2013 at 9:16 PM.
    3DS FC: 4081-5902-7378 Add Me!
        Spoiler:- My Champion Teams:

Credit to Forever and Again art shop

Credit to VampirateMace for the Banner

Haven't seen all the new 6 gen pokemon yet... so I'll reserve judgment on that until later...

The giant ground sloth sounds somewhat plausible for the hairer versions of chupa, but a lot of reports claim they're reptilian, and it certainly doesn't address the livestock killings... but who's to say it has to be one species? I'd say the next step is to study the area(s) where the earliest reports took place, and see how close it is to what was the sloths' known range, and how close the current enviorment there is to what the sloths would have lived in back then.

Edit:
    More news... enjoy!

Edit:
    More new news... also, some old news, here's some Ghost Photos: http://now.msn.com/ghost-pictures-evidence-of-ghosts

Edit:
    More news... yep'um... anyone else got something to post?

Edit:
    More news, Zombies and Vampires

Edit:
    More news... read it!

EDIT!!!:
    Lots of new news, mostly ghostly...

EDIT!
    More news... Happy Halloween
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 1st November 2013 at 5:01 AM.

Hey Vamp, I think it might be time for a contest or something. It might helpt to boost activity.

Anyway, back to cryptid buissness.

The small ground sloths I mentioned earlier have only been unearthed in a few select locations across Puerto rico, so there's no definitive evidence for their habitat or behavior. (though by the teeth we know they are herbivors). But I agree, it would take a more deformed, reptillian creature to perfectly match the chupacabra.

Also, I've discovered a particularly intesting cryptid/monster. Its called the Beast of Gevaudan. It has a documented 150+ kills, and yet, reports of its appearance range from a large wolf to the devil himself. I'll link the wikipedia page, so you guys can read more about it and because I couldn't find the website where I originally found this information. I'll go into detail about the creature in my next post, because I have a lot more to say about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_o...audan#Theories

What I find most interesting about this is that there is no verdict on exactly what the beast was. The two top theories are it was a wolf or hyena. I've found two extinct animals that match the description better, but both are over 15 millions years old and found on different continents. They are Hyaenadon Gigas and Amphycion Ingens.

Finally, thanks for inviting me to your deviantArt club, Classic Monsters Vampirate. It's had some great uploads so far, and I have some things I'm working on to contribute to it.

Also, Vamp, are you aware of all of the 6th gen legendary pokemon? Theres one I want to discuss, but I won't bring it up unless you haven't seen it already.

Last couple contests didn't get much response, but maybe people were contested out, so yeah, I'll see what I can come up with.

The Gevadan Killings are an intresting topic. From what I understand, at the time most people had believed the creature to be a female werewolf (before the man in the wolf skin and the mysterious creature were both killed, which was not properly preserved for identification). I've heard theories before that it may have been an extinct species of hyena, and you've got to remember how details sometimes get really lost in translation, just read Marco Polo's discription of Rhinos. - For some reason wikipedia hasn't been loading for me lately... it's odd.

Glad you liked the Monsters club, I realized there wasn't anything like it on there, so naturally it had to happen!

I'm aware there are three not offically revealed legendaries, but I didn't really take a good look at the screenshots. As for your previous list, I think it's pretty acurate, though I think it's off on the starters, Delphox is clearly more like a demon fox than a werewolf, nor do I see how Greninja is a Gremlin. Dedenne strikes me as more of Gremlin than a Bunyip, but discriptions vary, so you may have found one that matches. I don't see Pangoro as a Yeti, though Hibagon may be a reasonable match (dispite the similarlities between the two).

Edit:
    More news, what really happened to the elk, fear, cheese and nightmares.
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 11th November 2013 at 6:22 AM.

Yeah, let me know if I can help at all with the contest.

After some research, both the extinct predator groups I mentioned earlier are slightly more plausible than I thought. Both hyaenodon and amphycion did have species living in europe, and the amphycion's only went extinct 9 million years ago. This is much later than I thought. The hyaenodon genus, however, was completly extinct by 15mya. Niether are a perfect candidate, but its a little more likely.

I haven't heard of an extinct hyena being the culpret, but after a little research, I found its a much more solid theory than any other extinct animal. Pachycrocuta, a 400 lb extinct hyena that was native to Europe, only went extinct 500,000 years ago, making it relativly recent.

I read something about an outcast who lived in the area, who owned a huge mastiff. Some sources say he trained the dog to kill people, but I think theres a huge hole in this theory. Many people had managed to escape the beast, after seeing it attack their friends. Despite the possible trauma, I think people of that time would be able to tell if it was a dog. Still, its another possibility.

The theory that I think is the most plausible is that a spotted hyena, taken from africa by a big game hunter, managed to escape into the wild, and began to hunt people. I think it makes sense because the average European at the time would not recognize a hyena as any known animal. Also, most reports state the beast killed by crushing peoples skulls. Wolves and dogs can't really kill this way, at least effectively, but hyena's, with a bite force of 1,000 lbs per square inch, use this tactic a lot.

Oh, not the unofficiall ones. The legendary I want to talk about is the "Z" legendary that has been released. I've actually caught it ingame, and thats why I'm so curious about it. I just have absolutely no idea what its supposed to be.

Thanks. Yeah, I really couldn't figure what delphox was, so I just covered the basics. As for dedenne, I put it as a bunyip mainly because its a mysterious, eletrical, cute creature. The descriptions of bunyips that I read mention it being somewhat cute.

However, I will argue that greninja is based somewhat on a gremlin. Firstly, it's head...things (not sure if they are spikes or actually ears) resemble the large ears early gremlins were said to have. Most gremlin descriptions mention these large, elfish ears. Secondly, greninja is long-limbed and lanke, also a trait shared by gremlins (though this could be accounted for by his frog origins. Lots of frogs are skinny and long-limbed). Since gremlins are often said to be mischeivious and evil, Greninja's dark typing kind of supports it as well. But my main point is the tongue. Gremlins really became famous in WWII, when pilots reported small creatures on their planes, cutting wires and messing with machinery. Greninja's tongue, wrapped around his neck, greatly resembles an aviator's scarf, something early pilots are often portrayed wearing. I know greninja is mainly based off of a tree frog and a ninja, but I think gremlin's inspired some of its design.

I find the theory that a non-extinct hyena owned by Jean Chastel plausible, since the creature was shot in the chest in such a way that it’s unlikely the man didn’t just walk up to it and shoot it

My understanding is that ‘Z’ is based on Jörmungandr, the giant serpent child of Loki, who’s poison will kill Thor 9 steps after he’s killed it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6rmungandr
    There’s also suggestion of influence from Níđhöggr, which could be due to the fact that the two serpents are easily confused.

From what I know of bunyip, they’re not cute or electrical… they’re water demons.

I still can’t see it being intended as a gremlin. I admit the tongue looks like a scarf, but I don’t think a pink scarf is enough to indicate fighter pilot, from which you’d have to make the jump to gremlin. I’d also think that if it was intended to be a WWII gremlin, it’d be electrical.

The site we-don’t-mention says this about the spikes:
    “Greninja is based upon a frog, and, due to its spiked protrusions above its eyes, may have been inspired by horned frogs such Megophrys and Ceratophrys.”

[deleted] sorry!
    Last edited by Winona; 14th November 2013 at 7:03 PM.
    Currently PlayingPokemon X

Shinys so far: ;541;

Winona: Please go read the Membership section in the first post. You will need to delete your post, and follow the instructions posted there. Please also, read the club Rules. Thanks!

Edit: Added more news, check it out!

Edit II: More news, today is about curses... Also, there will be a contest starting late this month or early next month, you've been warned.
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 15th November 2013 at 5:50 AM.

I thought that i should tell you this so i am lol.
    I came back from a short break not to long ago, but i am still reading and observing ^.^
    and looking forward to contributing to some interesting things on here hehe.
    Bug-Type Represent !
    I am the Big Bad moth, if you want some, come get some..

Cool, looking forward to what you have to post. I'll have some stuff to post here, and on my blog, after I get my thoughts together... I got to put up a contest too, what do you all think of a paranormal/mythical poetry contest? It'd be open to any sort of poetry (rhyming, non-rhyming, haiku, etc), with winner determined either by vote or at least 2 judges.

I've added a news story on the JFK Conspiracy Theories.

Edit:
    More news, bad news, a group of Ghost Hunters Burnt Down a Historic Mansion.
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 28th November 2013 at 5:27 AM.

And I make my return after over a year and a half! Well anyway, a paranormal poetry contest? That sounds kind of exciting--I wonder what the guidelines would be. I've written songs pertaining to certain supernatural topics such as the afterlife, faeries, witchcraft, and a character based off a psychic vampire. This should indeed be interesting...

When I read the posted news article about the ghost hunters burning down that New Orleans mansion, I also recalled how ghost hunts are portrayed in media. To me, the media's portrayal of ghost hunting seems about as questionable as its depiction of vampires. Especially with all the fancy gadgets and such that they use, such as complex electromagnetic field detectors and sillier things such as vacuum cleaners. I can understand cameras and sound recorders, as sometimes ghosts can produce slight alterations in light or sound, but other sensations that relate to encountering a ghost are effects that often directly affect the mind and perception. It's like trying to detect someone's aura with a machine (which ties in with the validity of detecting ghosts and auras alike with cameras).

But what's especially interesting to me regarding ghosts (and also certain curses in general) is finding out how they came to be, and why they act the way they do. For example, discovering that a ghost was so malevolent towards all who visited her house because she was abused and brutally murdered in there. In hearing about ghost stories, both real and fictional, I see this over and over again, that the way a ghost acts is dependent on their thoughts and emotions in their life, especially in their last moments of life (hence the theory that ghosts exist because they have "unfinished business" they need to attend to, which I don't fully believe by the way). Someone who dies a violent and unexpected death will become a much meaner ghost than one who died peacefully. It's interesting, really.

As you can probably tell, I'm more into the raw paranormal stuff, especially the spirituality that underlies much of it. I'm not into cryptozoology as much, but I do believe in invoking and contacting mythical figures, especially deities, for various purposes. (Funny enough, that's also one of the main mechanisms of witchcraft.) And in worlds and realms beyond our own, places like the underworld and the faery realm. It's amazing how vast the universe is thanks to our collective imagination and the world's divine essence combined.

And I understand completely if I lost any of you in especially that last paragraph. XD

I have claimed Celestia Ludenberg from Dangan Ronpa. --My Updated RPer profile--

RPG's I'm in now: Gauntlet of the Greek God Guardians (Zuri), Castle of the Vampire King (Bianca and Lilith)
    Current RPG Project: Earthbound: The Rainbow Omen (Sign-ups) (RPG thread) (Discussion)

SPCS Poetry Contest

Time for another contest!
    - The theme for this contest is Paranormal, Mythical, and Cryptozoological related Poetry.

Guidelines:
    * Follow forum and club rule; review them if you need to.
    * All forms of poetry are acceptable, including; rhyming, non-rhyming, visual, and found.
    * If your entry is in the form of an image larger than 1000 pixels in any direction, or contains content beyond a PG-13 rating, please use a spoiler tag and indicate on the tag the reason for the tag (ex: large file, wide/tall image, violent content, mature language, etc).

Timeline:
    Contest will last one month, with winners to be announced as soon as possible afterwards:
    Contest starts - Dec 3
    Contest ends - Jan 3
    ___

I get what you're saying Kiruria, things like 'spirit boxes' which seem to be echoing words out of the current conversation, doesn't seem very crediable. But the EMF detectors however, run on the theory that ghosts are leftover energy or can manipulate energy, therefore detecting changes in EMF makes sense.

Edit:
    Added another news story...

Edit:
    Added more news, a glowing jellyfish like USO seen off Bristol!

Edit:
    More news, find aliens!
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 6th December 2013 at 10:41 PM.

I just prepared my entry for the contest... should entries be posted in this thread or PM'd to you? Or does it matter?

Yes, that's a good point on the EMF detectors. It's similar to methods like Kirlian photography which visualizes electromagnetic fields around someone's body. And it's interesting because once a ghost is discovered, the methods of calming and/or getting rid of it typically involve more spiritual stuff, like prayer or exorcism. I'd think that a magical amulet or protective symbol would be essential in investigating any haunted place. Malicious spirits live off of fear, just like mortal bullies and violent criminals. So, demonstrating acknowledgement and even compassion/forgiveness for the spirit would be the way to go.

I have claimed Celestia Ludenberg from Dangan Ronpa. --My Updated RPer profile--

RPG's I'm in now: Gauntlet of the Greek God Guardians (Zuri), Castle of the Vampire King (Bianca and Lilith)
    Current RPG Project: Earthbound: The Rainbow Omen (Sign-ups) (RPG thread) (Discussion)

I'm not entering the contest, but would any of you be interested in hearing about my experiences with ghosts?
    I will be on here very, very rarely. The account is not dead, per se, but I will not be on often. This has become a den of hatred, hostility, and anger. It is not the SPPF it was when I joined, and I really dislike coming here. To those of you who were nice to me and were my friend, thank you. Goodbye.
    3DS FC: 1950 7837 2016
    Name: Nicole
    Electric Friend Safari. Pokemon: Dedenne, Pikachu, Manectric
    Before you try to act superior to someone else on here, remember that no matter how much of an "internet cool-guy" you think you are, this is a Pokemon forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmeh View Post
    I'm not entering the contest, but would any of you be interested in hearing about my experiences with ghosts?
    I would like to. My family has had some strange encounters with ghosts as well, so I'm interested.

I at least would. Especially since I haven't had any experience with ghosts at all, so I pretty much always have to rely on other witnesses to know what it's like. In fact, I haven't really had many paranormal experiences in general... With one exception: I have seen and interacted with faeries before (and NOT while under the influence of absinthe, mind you).

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast