Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Glacier Islands - The Arctic Zone

Quote Originally Posted by enchantress View Post
    Crystal City

Ice Arenas

Arc_Angel ~ After having braved the less than favourable conditions of the Glacier Islands to reach the more welcoming temperatures of the technologically advanced oasis of Crystal City you find yourself drawn to the ice arenas where the thought of a good battle brings a tingle of warmth to your partially frozen skin. Eve appears eager as well and so the two of you venture inside the large battle complex in search of a challenge.

The moment you walk through the doors you realise this place is more than just a couple of battle arenas, it's a fully fledged multi-level battledome complete with main centre arena, stadium seating for several thousand spectators, and surrounded by another six smaller arenas. On the level above the arenas an indoor burgundy carpeted walkway surrounds the entire complex, its glass walls allowing the perfect view of every arena so people are able to roam around and see multiple battles in progress simultaneously.

The lobby is bustling with trainers and after looking around for a short time realise this is because sign ups for the annual Glacier Cup Tournament are taking place today. Trainers are watching clips of battles from last year's tournament on screens located throughout the room, poring over their team stats on one of the dozens of computers available for trainers to use, or watching one of the friendly battles in progress on arenas two and five that appear to be hyping up the crowd in preparation of the impending tournament.

An announcement plays over the intercom to say that places are filling faster than usual due to the increasing popularity of the tournament, so if you're planning on entering please sign up soon. You also hear a couple of trainers talking about volunteering for one of the friendly exhibition matches, one of them quite adamant about not doing so because they'd prefer to keep their team secret for as long as possible, believing that for people to watch him battle now would be a way of helping them to probe for his weaknesses.

This tournament appears to be larger than you'd anticipated, but at the same time that's hardly putting you off as it's been a while since you've last been involved with anything like this. The idea of warming up with an exhibition match is interesting as well, but you've also just arrived after a long trip to reach Crystal City and wouldn't say no to a nice warm meal, bath, and bed to be nice and rested for tomorrow. Weighing up your options you mull over what you'd like to do first...
    Stacey took a moment to stop and catch her breath as she entered the Ice Arena's, it had been a long journey here and waking in snow was not as easy as it looked. Her eyes widened at the size of the place, it was enormous with multiple arenas placed on differing levels. There was a central large arena that had glass viewing walls all around, they certainly had planned for grand tournaments to be held here that was for sure. She felt her heart pump with excitement at the thought of a battle, it had been such a long time since she had competed and Eve was keen to try it herself. She wasn't the only one here today, in fact, many trainers and spectators were almost filling the lobby to capacity; there must be something big happening today. After looking around she noticed a sign indicating that the Annual Glacier Cup Tournament was commencing today. She saw Eve looking at the screens set up recalling the previous battles with wide eyes. Stacey walked over the nearest glass wall to see a friendly battle underway getting the gathered crowds pumped up and excited, it was working on her too.

She tilts her head the sound of an announcement letting the crowd know that sign-ups were filling up faster than expected and to not miss out on the chance to enter. Some trainers were talking about entering friendly tournaments as a warm up and some trainers were suspicious about revealing their teams and strategies too early. Sitting down in a chair whilst she thought over her options Stacey felt her limbs ache, perhaps it would be a good idea to rest up a little first before jumping head long into a large tournament. However, Eve looked so excited at the thought of a battle, and this may be the only time she was here; she couldn't miss the opportunity to sign up. Rubbing her legs, a little first, she then stood up and approached Eve who as gushing over a victorious Pokémon in the arena below and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Shall we see if there are any spots left for us to enter still?" Eve squealed happily and nodded enthusiastically before taking Stacey's hand and pulling her over to the queue of people waiting to sign up making Stacey laugh. This would be fun she could feel it.

$>300
    Last edited by enchantress; 10th January 2016 at 10:05 PM.

~Stace and Imp. A Perfect Pair~
    FB : PC : DT

The Glacier Mines
    Set just east of the island chain is a huge glacier, so large that it sits sealed to the ocean floor. Enter at your own risk but be sure to bring something warm as it'll get way below freezing as you move further down into the winding tunnels of the icy caverns. Some trek here hoping to find a nice stone to make into jewellery, but others have an ulterior motive as somewhere deep down in the deepest depths of the Glacier Mines is a special area where some extinct as well as new species of Pokémon reside. Searching for them will be hazardous enough, but even then there's no guarantee you'll find them.
    Areas:
    Gamma Station: A research base dedicated to studying ores dug up from the ice, Gamma Station isn't the most interesting of places to visit unless you're really into Geology.
    Hydra Mine: The newest of the icy mines, this mine is by far the deepest as the miners have been ordered to dig as deep as they possibly can. Not too interesting for trainers unless what they're looking for is really, really old.
    Hours into Alicia’s lonely trek across the unnamed glacier, and Alicia’s shivering had not ceased. The climate here was relentless. Even each small breeze felt like a blade across her face. She was glad that she had feeling there at all, because her nose had gone numb long ago, and every so often she rubbed it with her glove to stave off frostbite.

Thank Arceus she had the foresight to buy full winter gear before her expedition here. The snow goggles were the only reason she wasn’t blind by now. The thermal underwear was one of many reasons she wasn't dead. And the mamoswine fur-lined coat— she sighed as she buried her face in it, yet again. It wasn’t soft but it was warm.

To her Froslass she said, “How much further?”

Liesel was a placid creature, prone to floating perpetually a step behind instead of beside her, as she’d have liked. The Froslass brought a pale sash-like arm to her mouth, squinting.

“Not long now, dear Trainer.”

“Sweet. Reckon we’ll find one of your sisters soon?”

“You mean Snorunt? Hmm… I doubt it. My clan preferred the mountains for good reason. Our mountain. There was mineral water there, and Zubat.”

“Zubat,” Alicia repeated.

“We hunted them. Didn’t you know? My father was the strongest Glalie around; on a good day, he’d bring in five,” Liesel said proudly. “He was going to teach me. And Mitty and Raina and Zari. Even though he wasn’t supposed to; we had rules, you see. That is to say, no leaking clan secrets to outsiders. But it was just Ice Shard! One can hardly call that a ‘clan secret’.”

“Mitty and... the Smoochum and Spheal and Seel!” Alicia realised. They had been present in the Silverton Ranges, back when she was a silly newbie with a Ralts and grand ideas of waltzing into Articuno’s lair. In her dreams she’d befriend it somehow, and they would fly into the sunset with the wind in her hair. Sen would be a Gardevoir then a Gallade then a Gardevoir again; at the time, she could never decide which. “Do you miss them?”

Liesel took her time to respond. “Sometimes. I won’t lie to you, dear Trainer. I miss them very much. But with you, I have seen the breadth and range of the world. And you tell me what I’ve seen is but a small part! If I were to go back home, I could not sleep, for the knowledge that in Arceus’s grand plan my mountain was no more than a Durant’s nest. You’ve ruined me,” she said, laughing softly.

Alicia looked at her, hesitant. “...And your dad? Did he teach you Ice Shard in the end?”

“No, no he didn’t. This was just before I met you. But no matter,” Liesel hastened to add, seeing the look on her trainer’s face, “I have new friends now; a new family. You keep good company, dear Trainer.”

How the Froslass had learned her trainer’s character so well she could detect the fledgling guilt in Alicia’s chest, Alicia would never know. But she was glad for it. Empathy was a precious quality to have, in a Pokémon. That was one small part of why she prized Sen’s — her Gallade’s — companionship so much.

“I knew what it meant when I chose to leave with you,” Liesel said.

“You’re too good for me, Liese.”

Time passed quickly when one was wrapped in conversation. Soon enough, they had arrived. Alicia drank in the sight of the building not one hundred meters away with relish, the cold momentarily forgotten.

“Hydra Mine, you said? That’s an odd shape for a mine.”

“We’ll get there, don’t worry,” Alicia said. “I thought we might head to Gamma Station first, to see if they need any help with anything over at the mine before I make the trip.”

“And how much further would that be?” Liesel asked mildly. “I think you should rest, Alicia.”

Liesel only ever called her ‘Alicia’ when she was in motherly mode. Caught between rolling her eyes and smiling, she decided to put on her straightest face. “I— don’t actually know. I’m okay though. Now let’s see who’s unlucky enough to be stuck at Gamma Station,” she said, and marched bravely on.

Because she was okay. What kind of trainer would she be if she wasn’t fit enough to take her Pokémon out to see the world?

$>300
    Last edited by enchantress; 10th January 2016 at 10:01 PM.

The Glacier Islands

Crystal City

Crystal Port

jolteonjak ~ Finally arriving in Crystal City's Port after having worked your way here aboard a cargo vessel you venture onto the docks, stopping to take a deep breath while gazing around the area. You feel the sun shining down upon you though it makes hardly any difference in this frigid arctic air. The cries of Wingull and Pelipper can be heard all around, some circling overhead waiting for a chance to steal their favourite treats from one of the many stalls on the docks selling freshly caught seafood while the more daring risk being crushed in the crowd to scavenge for titbits dropped by careless merchants and customers.

Locating a sign containing a map you take a few minutes to examine it so you have a better idea of the area and what types of places there are available to visit. It appears there is a tavern for the thirsty, weary traveller, a cafe for those who prefer non-alcoholic beverages, a five star seafood restaurant, a couple of tourist shops, and a museum, as the majority of the area is taken up by fresh seafood stalls, public and private wharves, and several rows of drab-looking warehouses.

While you're mulling over where to go you notice something from the corner of your eye and divert your gaze to the Wingull flying in low and quite erratically toward the dock. There is clearly something wrong with the Seagull Pokémon and for a moment you can't help but wonder if it's even going to make it to land but it finally struggles in, landing with a thud on the dock beside one of the fisherman's stalls. Judging from its size the Wingull appears to be quite young, and when thinking about it you don't ever recall having before seen one this small. One of its wings lays motionless on the ground while the baby bird struggles to walk, clearly exhausted from its flight when all of a sudden the fisherman whose stall it’s landed beside yells out.

"Shoo you pesky bird! Get out of here I do not fish for you!" He then kicks out, striking the bird in the chest and sending it reeling off the dock to land with a splash and a weak "Squuaaawk!" into the frigid arctic sea...
    Wow. I think it’s safe to say my RP’ing has improved since my intro post. I think I’m gonna use a different Pokémon or two in this adventure, mostly since my Cyndaquil evolved. I understand if you want to update people without active adventures over me.

Chad took a moment to enjoy the scenery. Unlike some other people he knew, Chad quite enjoyed colder weather. But that didn’t stop him from being prepared for this chilly weather. Cyndaquil, however, didn’t seem to share his affinity for the cold. Chad watched his Fire Mouse Pokémon for a moment. He lit his back flames, but they didn’t stay ablaze for long. They’d light and extinguish sporadically. “What’s the matter bud?” he asked concerned.

“Quil,” Cyndaquil weakly replied. He shivered in the cold air.

Chad took out his Fire Ball and aimed it at Cyndaquil, “Return Cyndaquil. Hopefully your Pokeball will warm you up. I’ll get you to a Pokémon Center soon.”

Chad began to walk towards the center of town and found a sign which had a map on it. He scanned over the map looking for some where to relax a bit and maybe even have a meal before exploring the city more. “Let’s see,” Chad thought out loud. “I don’t think I’ll be eating any seafood any time soon,” Chad said with a grimace. “Oh look, a café! Maybe they’ll have that new tea I wanted to try.” Chad plotted his course to the café, when he spotted something strange out of the corner of his eye.

There was a small bird Pokémon flying towards the docks. It seemed to be struggling to fly correctly. Chad watched intently to see if it would make it at least to the docks, let alone wherever it was going. Finally the Pokémon flew over land, but it crash landed in a nearby seafood stall.

Chad ran over to check on it and make sure it wasn’t hurt too badly. “Poor thing,” Chad murmured. He took out his Pokedex to see what he was looking at:

Quote Originally Posted by Pokedex
    Wingull, the Seagull Pokémon. Wingull has the habit of carrying prey and valuables in its beak and hiding them in all sorts of locations. This Pokémon rides the winds and flies as if it were skating across the sky. It makes a nest on sheer cliffs at the sea’s edge.
    The Wingull was very small in size. Chad had never seen one so small. It struggled to its feet. One of its wings seemed to be damaged, perhaps broken due to lack of mobility. Suddenly a man appeared, and he angrily yelled out at the Wingull. “Shoo you pesky bird! Get out of here I do not fish for you!" Chad thought he must have owned the stall. He also kicked at Wingull.

Wingull was hit in the chest, and the force of the kick sent the Seagull Pokémon flying through the air. Wingull cried out in pain as it fell into the cold sea. Chad jumped to his feet surprised. “What’s wrong with you? Why on earth would you do that?” he yelled at the man. “Can’t you see this Pokémon was hurt, probably pretty badly?” It dawned on him also, “It’s very young!”

Chad ran out of the stall to the dock. He reached for a Pokeball and tossed it towards the water. “Poliwhirl, get in the water and help that Wingull out!” The blue Tadpole Pokémon appeared, and he immediately jumped into the water to retrieve the injured Wingull from the water. “Hurry, we’ll rush to a Pokémon Center afterwards!”

Stats

$>300
    Last edited by enchantress; 24th January 2016 at 5:40 PM.

The Glacier Islands
    The Arctic Zone

A chain of islands made up of enormous glaciers set deep in the Southern Ocean. The weather is extremely harsh and if you're not careful you could freeze to death in an instant. It's so cold that even with increases of a few degrees, temperatures will generally remain below the melting point of ice (0°C or 32°F). A relentless and unwelcoming terrain, people rarely ever set foot here before the discovery of precious metal ores buried deep within the ice. Since then, as the mining industry has grown, so too have people's general interest in the region. This influx of people has resulted in the discovery of areas nobody previously knew existed as well as Pokémon that are rarely seen in warmer climates. These discoveries have led to stories of strange and wonderful places, and as word spreads more and more people are visiting the Glacier Islands. Perhaps the most surprising, and as yet unfounded, story about these glaciers are the rumoured reports of a secret area where a mysterious and very strong Pokémon resides, sleeping deep within the ice. Whether there is any truth to it or not, this rumour has attracted Pokémon trainers who now roam the Glacier Islands in search of this mystery area.

Snowy Oasis
    An oasis in the icy tundra of the Glacier Islands is a large glacier that for some unknown reason is spared the same extremely harsh weather conditions as the rest of the polar region. Being far more habitable than the rest of the region, people flock here as it is a wonderfully pleasant area to explore. Snow is common here and while the mountains are nowhere near as tall as the Arctic Alps they've certainly attracted a lot of attention from developers who have already built two ski resorts. Snowstorms are rare in this area, but those that do occur are fiercer than most.

Areas:

Eta Station: A research base dedicated to gathering and studying samples taken from the local terrain as well as its wildlife. It's not uncommon for trainers to be recruited to perform various tasks for the researchers stationed here.

“I need to find somewhere to warm up, getting to this place played quite the number one me” the researcher thought to himself out loud. There is nothing to worry about, the researcher is finally indoors at the very least.

Aposteriori is always interested to do continued educational work by helping out in research where he can. Maybe his bulkier build is made for this type of frigid weather. Overall, his knowledge of migration patterns might come in use in this particular research base, but who knows? The researcher does not have any solid plans walking into this particular area. He starts to take in the area, but the cold keeps distracting him. Maybe he will be lucky enough not to come down with anything.

*Achu* the trainer starts to sneaze, his nose turning red already. Overall, he is sturdy and maybe it is nothing for him to worry about. It is good to remember that this is not his first rodeo, and that even if the sniffles take a hold, the researcher is ready to deal with the symptoms. It is said that Aposteriori makes a legendary noodle soup to alleviate the symptoms of the common cold. The key is tryptophan, an ingredient pre-cursor that turns into melatonin, which would in essence help the person fall asleep. This in turn allows the body to naturally fall asleep, and allow the immune system to ward off infections at the most basic level.

"Let's see here. Maybe my bag has some nice canned foods that I have not repeated in the last day or so. I'm not a huge fan of eating the same thing twice. At any rate, I should probably stop thinking about food and start focusing on getting myself involved." He doubts that a small sniffle will do much to him. He is more than ready to help out where he cans, and he starts to walk forward looking to where he can dig his head in and be of use.

$>300
    Last edited by enchantress; 23rd March 2016 at 2:44 AM.

Crystal City

Crystal Port

MarbleZone ~ "So you're a teetotaller, I'm sure we can work around that," Jake laughs, starting to walk in the same direction the young lady had gone. "Crystal is her name," he continues, pulling out a cigarette and lighting up while he walks. "An intriguing girl, keeps to herself mostly. Her grandparents were among the founders of the Elite Four. Her mother is currently one of the Elite Four, and Crystal is said to be in the running to take her mother's place. She has the talent and those who have fought her say she's the strongest trainer they've ever met. She's twenty-two years old and undefeated for the past three years."

Reaching the destination Jake has in mind for your morning tour you stare up at the impressive structure that is the Glacier Islands Museum while Jake stamps his cigarette out on the icy ground. Leading you to an outdoor café attached to the building he takes a seat at one of the tables and motions for you to take the other.

"She's not interested in any of it though," Jake continues. "She battles when it's expected of her out of respect for her mother's position in these parts, but Crystal's heart isn't in it. All she's interested in is hunting down and killing the beast that murdered her father."

Jake falls silent for a moment whilst placing another cigarette to his lips which gives you the chance to absorb some of what he's said but you soon realise is that he's only aided in creating more questions about the mysterious Crystal. As he lights up you notice a young girl with an apron approaching so you keep your thoughts to yourself for the moment.

"Are you ready to order?" asks the waitress, standing at the ready with a notepad and a smile.

"Ah, sweet Shelley! My goodness you've grown!" Jake grins, standing to greet the girl with an affectionate hug. "You're practically a woman now, and more beautiful than ever!"

"I'm nearly eighteen," Shelley replies shyly, the young brunette blushing furiously at the compliment, quite obviously smitten with the older and ruggedly handsome Jake.

"This is Shelley, Crystal's little sister" Jake says, turning to introduce the girl. Though it's not immediately obviously, when looking more closely at her you can see the resemblance. She is taller than Crystal and has the same blue eyes and flawless complexion as her older sister, but the vibe emanating from this girl is far more friendly. Granted, then conditions under which you'd met the sisters differ greatly but there is more to it than that. Shelley has a more open and friendly manner and you can sense a tomboyish air about her.

'"Shelley works here at the Glacier Islands Museum and makes the best coffee this side of the equator," Jake continues, his eyes scanning her from top to bottom with a new-found appreciation. While Shelley misses this you feel your skin crawl when thinking of the many possible ways this young man can use Shelley's schoolgirl crush to his advantage.

"I do at that," Shelley laughs light heartedly, tucking a stray wisp of hair behind her ear. "So what can I bring you boys? We make a mean Chilli Krabby, or our Clauncher Salad Rolls are quite popular."

After exchanging pleasantries Shelley takes down your orders and heads back to the kitchen leaving you sitting alone with Jake who is looking rather pleased with himself. He's reeling you in, you can feel it, but you're not exactly sure what he thinks he's going to accomplish with all of this. Whatever the case you feel there is definitely a story here but are you sure you really want to pursue it?
    Levin could smell trouble a mile away after four years of surviving on his own in Fizzy Bubbles and having met all manner of unsavory individuals. Jake was one such man, the kind you want to stay as far away from as possible until you absolutely need them. It just so happened Levin needed Jake at the moment, if he was to know his way around the Isle and into Crystal's inner circle. That woman had peaked his curiosity from the start, and not in the way her little sister had peaked Jake's - a Trainer that strong was a person worth meeting, and he owed her an apology as much as he hated to admit it. But he had a mean streak of his own, a cunning side he had no qualms about putting to use - he could be every bit as unsavory as Jake, though it'd been a while he'd behaved as such.

Ever since I almost left Calandra's uncle to die in Phantom Isle that one time... I changed since then, but that side of me still exists, no matter how long it's been dormant.

If Jake tried to use him, he trusted his instincts to jump ship at the right time. Jake was a means to an end, and that end was Crystal. Apologizing to her, then breaking her undefeated streak - those had just become his two main goals with in this journey. As long as Jake served those purposes, he'd stick around the shady man, despite the risks involved.

- I appreciate you telling me all this, but I've been around long enough to know there is no such thing as a random act of kindness. What can I help you with?

This was one of many tales of Levin Sanders' journeys across the vast lands of Fizzy Bubbles. He'd carry the memories and teachings from his trip to Glacier Islands for many years, and use that knowledge on his road to the Pokemon League...

((Having retired Levin from zone adventures a while ago, I'd like to stop my current adventure here. I'll be looking at posting a new intro in the near future, but don't feel obligated to pick me back up. Thanks for updating me up until this point!))

$>300
    Last edited by enchantress; 26th March 2016 at 1:56 AM.

The Glacier Islands
    The Arctic Zone

A chain of islands made up of enormous glaciers set deep in the Southern Ocean. The weather is extremely harsh and if you're not careful you could freeze to death in an instant. It's so cold that even with increases of a few degrees, temperatures will generally remain below the melting point of ice (0°C or 32°F). A relentless and unwelcoming terrain, people rarely ever set foot here before the discovery of precious metal ores buried deep within the ice. Since then, as the mining industry has grown, so too have people's general interest in the region. This influx of people has resulted in the discovery of areas nobody previously knew existed as well as Pokémon that are rarely seen in warmer climates. These discoveries have led to stories of strange and wonderful places, and as word spreads more and more people are visiting the Glacier Islands. Perhaps the most surprising, and as yet unfounded, story about these glaciers are the rumoured reports of a secret area where a mysterious and very strong Pokémon resides, sleeping deep within the ice. Whether there is any truth to it or not, this rumour has attracted Pokémon trainers who now roam the Glacier Islands in search of this mystery area.

Snowstorm Isle: A large glacier, once a calm and passive island, is now constantly ravaged by snowstorms which keeps most travellers at bay. Many wonder why the sudden change in weather conditions, but few dare brave the raging blizzards in an effort to find out. Sometimes, if you listen hard enough, the roars of a creature can be heard. Is it only the wind, or is something else out here?

Sawyer plants both feet on the ground as he inhales a large whiff of icy air. It felt like shards brushing against his nostrils, but it was certainly refreshing for the trainer. It's been a long journey to get to where he is now, taking a span of half a month. He worked with local fishermen and ship owners to get free rides to certain destinations, inching closer toward the islands with every job he chooses to take. For the past few days, he was stuck inside a compact fishing boat, courtesy of a friendly local. Now, he's finally out in the open, standing before the menacing shadow of the glacier known as the Snowstorm Isle. However, rather than feeling fear or nervousness, Sawyer can only feel intense excitement as he thinks about his upcoming adventure within the island. He does not know what to expect, aside from the rumored Pokemon lurking within the snowstorms. He turns his head slightly, facing one ear toward the great expanse in front of him. "...Nope, no roars," Sawyer says aloud. He sighs in disappointment, but perks up once again and places both hands on his waist. “Well, there’s no use standing around here!” He attempts to smile, but it looks more like a smug smirk. “I do need someone to keep me warm and provide company…” he reaches for a Pokeball tucked neatly inside his thick coat. He clicks the center button and the ball expands in size. “Come on out… Roose!” Sawyer yells for his Pokemon as he tosses the ball in the air. With a flash of red, a vibrant orange Tepig comes out. The Tepig turns toward Sawyer, cheeks marked with black dashes. With a mischievous smile, Tepig runs full speed toward Sawyer and jumps as high as he can. The trainer retreats back slightly upon instinct, but manages to catch the Tepig in midair. “I gotcha! Hey buddy, ready to go exploring?” Sawyer cradles Roose, who promptly nods in response to the trainer’s question. “Well alright then, let’s go see what this place has to offer!” Stepping forward, he ventures forth into what is known as Snowstorm Isle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12