Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #53

support buzz

(not likely this will get used or posted under the POTW when it comes out....so here is what i put....)

(preferably shiny)

Moves:
    Torment
    Tailwind
    Attract
    Toxic

Nature:
    Calm

Ability:
    Overcoat

EVs:
    Hp-196
    Defence-32
    Sp. defence-244
    Speed-36

Held item:
    leftovers

Use attract to start off the set(unless its a girl or has no gender), then use toxic(if its not poison or steel), if it manages to get a move in before or after you get to the point in which you have used these moves then use torment, when its almost dead or you have used the moves above, use tailwind and switch out this pokemon to start to deal some damage to the target.

(is it just me or is manibuzz the honchcrow of the 5th gen.)
    DRAGONITE
    Dream team:     Spoiler:- thanks:
        Spoiler:- thanks:
        Spoiler:- thanks:
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/rjmtxt.png[/IMG]    Spoiler:- click it..if you dare:

(if you are some of the people who want a game where YOU get to choose YOUR own destiny and can make YOUR own decisions, then add this to YOUR signature)....started by me but you dont have to put my name down if you dont wanna

Alright, Mandibuzz! I like the new Dark/ Flying vulture. I used one on one of my last black playthrough's, and she was pretty good. Could be better, but I still like her...

This is the Mandibuzz set I use in my Dark PO team. It's actually very successful and dangerous, when I use it correctly. She has great 110/105/95 defence's, though, like any wall, terrible 65/55 attack stats. Surprisingly, her speed is pretty good, though. Well, pretty average... still usable.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
    Overcoat
    Jolly/ Timid
    252HP/36Def/216SpDef/4Spd
    -Toxic
    -Substitute
    -Roost
    -Brave Bird/ Dark Pulse/ Rock Smash/ Punishment

Simple Toxic staller, but she does it very well. She takes hit's like a house, so she can afford to move after her opponents. The EV's may seem odd, but they work! Brave Bird and Dark Pulse (depending on the nature) are her most powerful moves, but Rock Smash could be used, as Steel's can very easily shut this set down. Punishment can also be used against enemies such as Swords Dance/ Poison Heal Gliscor, as it will have to break your Substitute before damaging you, after which you can do... some damage. I don't know, it's an idea. In my opinion, Skarmory (as well as every other Steel type, but I've personally had alot of trouble against Skarmory so it gets singled out...) is the biggest threat to this set, and I strongly recommend you switch if facing the Steel bird.

Mandibuzz is great defensively, with excellent base 105 Defense and nice 95 Special Defense backed up by a healthy 110 HP. Offensively, she is blessed with Nasty Plot to double her Special Attack, which would otherwise be pathetic. Unfortunately, Mandibuzz’s Special movepool is rather restricted. She has many more Physical options in comparison, but a so-so base 65 Attack makes a Nasty Plot set more appealing.

Despite how easy Steel-types completely shut down Mandibuzz’s offense, she can still provide decent support to your team.

Abilities:
    Big Pecks – Mandibuzz cannot have her Defense lowered by the opponent. This is more or less the most useless ability for Mandibuzz, as in the metagame your opponent’s Pokémon are usually more concerned with raising their own stats.

Overcoat – Sandstorm and Hail don’t hurt Mandibuzz. It may not be the golden Magic Guard, but it’s still the most useful ability for her. Having Overcoat opens up more options, especially for your Sandstorm teams, as Mandibuzz’s Flying-type allows your Earthquake users to go wild in double battles.

Weak Armor – When hit by a physical attack, Mandibuzz’s Defense goes down one stage, but her Speed increases by one. Mandibuzz is very much a defensively-minded Pokémon. I don’t know why you would want to tamper with it, even for a more offensive version.

Good ‘ol Toxic Staller
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Overcoat
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Def/4 Def –OR—252 HP/128 Def/128 Sp. Def
    Nature: Impish (+ Def, - Sp. Atk)/Careful (+ Sp. Def, - Sp. Atk)

- Toxic
    - Roost/Protect/Taunt
    - Substitute/Roost/Taunt
    - Payback

Toxic is the running gimmick of this set. Protect and Substitute will allow Mandibuzz to stall out the opponent. She can also shrug off any damage taken with Roost. Finally, so as to not become Taunt bait, Payback gets STAB and will double in power when Mandibuzz gets hit. Considering her lackluster base 80 Speed, there is a good chance she’ll get hurt before dealing damage. Taunt messes up other defensive/support-minded Pokémon.

Nasty Plot Sweeper
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Def
    Nature: Bold (+ Def, - Atk) / Calm (+ Sp. Def, - Atk) / Modest (+ Sp. Atk, - Atk)

- Nasty Plot
    - Dark Pulse/Roost
    - Air Slash/Roost
    - Hidden Power Fire

Nasty Plot doubles Mandibuzz’s sad Special Attack into something quite respectable. Dark Pulse gets STAB and is Mandibuzz’s strongest Dark move available. Air Slash also gets STAB and may flinch the opponent (as well as Dark Pulse). Unfortunately, both offensive moves are resisted by Steel-types. Hidden Power Fire will take care of this problem (and still deal super-effective damage to Skarmory versus neutral with Hidden Power Fighting).

The Life Orb will give more punch to Mandibuzz’s attacks. The health sacrifice can easily be recovered with Roost.

Mandibuzz the Punisher
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Nature: Adamant (+ Atk, - Sp. Atk)

- Swagger
    - Flatter
    - Punishment
    - Mean Look/Roost

The point of this set is to increase the power of Punishment, which deals more damage the more stat boosts the target has – one boost adds 20 base power to the attack. Both Swagger and Flatter confuse the opponent, but have slightly different outcomes: Swagger sharply raises the target’s Attack, while Flatter sharply raises their Special Attack. Either way, using one of the two just once increases Punishment's power by 40. You can mess with the opponent by raising one of their offensive stats that they don’t even use and keep your team safe from severe damage once the confusion wears off.

Mean Look will prevent the opponent from escaping while you use Swagger and Flatter. Roost heals as usual.

Other Options:
    Mandibuzz learns Tailwind via level-up and can provide a nice Speed boost to her team.

Brave Bird is the strongest Flying move available, but keep in mind of the awful recoil that comes as a consequence of using.

Partners:
    Steel- and Poison-types present the most problems to Mandibuzz. Without Hidden Power Fire or Fighting, Steels will be unaffected by Toxic and will resist all other forms of offensive power from her. Poison-types won’t cower in Toxic’s presence, either. You need to provide backup against these two types.

The Punishment Mandibuzz can provide a much needed Attack or Special Attack boost to Pokémon with the ability Own Tempo. Slowbro and Slowking are two good examples. Also note that if you’re one of the few “weird” people who use Safeguard, as long as it’s in effect, any Pokémon can receive a Swagger or Flatter boost without becoming confused.

Spoiler:- Attacks Index:
    I'm thinking about creating a printer-friendly Pokédex guidebook for Black and White versions. Let me know what you think about it here.

Mandibuzz is...well I find her great, actually. She's Dark, but fairs well against Fighting. With bulk like that (and Roost to boot), she isn't taking much even against boosted hits. It is difficult to OHKO her even after a x2 damage multiplier.

Her Ability Overcoat allows her to deal against Sand and Hail, making it viable to not even include Leftovers. Big Pecks is...well, I don't highly recommend Crunching Mandibuzz, but if you intend on making the weather nice I suppose it's acceptable. Weak Armor is just...sad.

Mandibuzz shouldn't even think about playing offensively, not even with Nasty Plot. You don't see Skarmory using Swords Dance, do you? Just like Skarmory, Brave Bird is about as offensive as Mandibuzz will really get.

Huh, just noticed Mandibuzz does have a small inferiority complex compared to Skarmory. Mandibuzz has a much more bulky agenda, despite Skarmory's greater amount of resistances and less weaknesses. Skarm relies on its defensive typing to easily set up hazards and spam Whirlwind. Mandibuzz is a much more disruptive player, given choices like Knock Off and U-turn.

I personally run a Mandibuzz set on a defensive Sand team of mine with Rocky Helmet, Knock Off, Whirlwind, Roost, Taunt. I find her very effective as she helps set up the entire team for victory if conditions are right, given her impregnable bulk.

Yay, one of my fave's from 5th gen, though it cant find a slot on my team ;^;

Lets start with its traits:

Traits
    Mandibuzz has a excellent Defensive stats of base 110 HP, 105 Defense, and 95 Sp.Def, and for most walls, base 80 Speed is actually decent. base 65 attack and 55 Sp.Atk means its not going to make holes on most teams, but it does get Nasty Plot and STAB special attacks, but is usually not worth the slot, but the option exists. Mandibuzz has the moves to abuse these stats fairly well, with moves like Roost, Knock Off, Taunt, the now 4 turn Tailwind, and Whirlwind, and Toxic needs not to be mentioned, even the powerful Brave Bird helps too, though at the loss of HP for every use stinks.

Type-wise, Dark/Flying has its goods and bads, immunity to the common Ground and increasing treats of Psychic is useful, and resistance to Dark, Ghost and Grass is also useful, but weaknesses to common Rock, Electric, and Ice is bad, though in some cases, Roost handles this better.

Abilities

Big Pecks: Prevents loss of Defense, not too useful in the field except for Crunch's side effect.
    Overcoat: No damage from weather, which on a defensive Pokemon is awesome! No need to worry about your HP chipped every time at the end of every turn, allows to set up in Sandstorm and sometimes Hail teams.
    Weak Armor (DW): A boost to her Speed on every Physical hit sound good, but at the loss of its better Defense, not worth it, unless you wanna try it on a Nastly Plot set around this.

Sets

Stall @ Leftovers
    Careful/Impish
    252 HP, 129 Def, 129 Sp.Def or 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp.Def/Spd
    ~Toxic
    ~Roost
    ~Whirlwind/Taunt
    ~Brave Bird/Payback/Taunt/Tailwind

More of a focus on Toxic stalling. Toxic Poisons, Roost Heals, Whirlwind hazes and allows of Toxic spread. Brave Bird is powerful and better coverage, but Payback ensures the troublesome Espeon and Xatu get a surprise on the switch in. Taunt can go over Whirlwind or the attack move, but without whirlwind, your pretty much setup bait, and no attack leaves you vulnerable to Taunt. The more Physically defense has its uses, as its Resistances can call for it, but Special attackers are going to prey on your weaker stat. better off going for what your team needs

Dirty-minded Vulture @ Leftovers
    Modest
    252 HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 4 Spd/Def/Sp.Def
    ~Nasty Plot
    ~Dark Pulse
    ~Air Slash
    ~Roost/Tailwind

Although outclassed, it comes as a suprise to those who expect something like Toxic, switch out, and getting 2 Nasty Plots with your free turn and using your bulk to your advantage. One NP leads from a measly max 229 Sp.Attack to a viable 458, and because of its bulk, can set up 2, leads to even threatening 687! Dark Pulse and Air Slash are its only viable Special moves, and both cause flinching, which can be useful. Roost increases your ability to live longer lasting, though doubling Speed with Tailwind works too, since it will double your Speed to 394, could be better, but is still a good jump. Hidden Power Fighting can be used over either STAB for better type coverage.

As stated previously, the main reason to use this over other is for the element of surprise, it usually gives Mandibuzz 2 turns to set up, usually on Espeon/Xatu, as they would be her biggest counters, but the table would turn under such conditions. Another reason is that its the most bulkiest user of Nasty Plot, along with Slowking (Who's overshadowed by Slowking) and Celebi (who has many, easily exploitable, weaknesses), though compared to these two, has much weaker Sp.Atk, and less viable movepool, plus is more easily walled by Chansey/Blissey.

Counters
    Stall
    Status, especially burn or poison, ruin it. Steels and Poison-types torture it as well, and a well-timed Espeon/Xatu ruin Mandibuzz as well. Main users of Magic Gaurd may either be in your way, or with Payback, somewhat dismissed. Its usually set-up bait for some, especially Ferrothorn, who can take its attacks, throw Leech Seed, and sit back, but wants to watch out for the faster Taunt. Without Brave Bird,Fighting types, like Conkeldurr, can present a problem. Stealth Rock are a problem, and should be removed. Note, also, that hazards help Mandibuzz out as well.

Nasty Plot
    Burn and Poison hurts, and without HP Fighting, Steels do a good job at walling it, Poisons types themselves are less of a treat, and Special wall can put a stop to it... assuming you didnt let it get too many NP's up, as Madibuzz can set up easily under the right conditions. Powerhouses can actually dent it up badly before it can actually start sweeping, so be weary on who Mandibuzz is sent upon. More notes: Espeon and Xatu are NOT good counters on this set and are probably the best Pokemon for the vulture to set up upon.
    B/W FC: 0862 7496 5200

(^Credit to Abagoora^)
    Art:Unvailable
    I can do one art project at a time JUST FOR MY CLAN! Note its done when its done, no deadlines and WAIT!
    See DevART for examples, No Animations!

If I ever sound mean, make a mistake, or break a rule, please be kind as to tell me before the trouble, I'd be glad to fix my mistake

Im not tolerant of others, im accepting of others!

I gots a Flipnote account! Click!

I Has A DeviantART! Click!

Pfft Black got the short end of the stick here. Braviary is so much cooler.

interesting choice, though not one I'd use.
    Last edited by Moonlight_Tails; 2nd January 2012 at 8:47 AM.
    My Favorite Pokemon
    Zangoose --- Moonlight_Tails --- November 22nd, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Pfft Black got the short end of the stick here. Braviary is so much cooler.
    Agreed, have one on my white team
    sheer force

Air Slash
    Superpower
    Fly
    Crush Claw

not perfect but usually gets the job done
    My Favorite Pokemon
    Zangoose --- Moonlight_Tails --- November 22nd, 2013

Mandi-sruptor
    Ability: Overcoat (never anything else, please)
    Item: Lum Berry/Leftovers/Muscle Band/Flying Gem/Dark Gem
    Stats: Adamant/Jolly/Careful, Max defenses, rest Attack, Speed, or HP
    Moves: Knock Off/Pluck/Thief, Fly/Bone Rush, Toxic, U-Turn

Your main goal is to disrupt enemy plans. Knock Off is weak, but works on all Items, though Pluck is stronger, gets 2x damage if the opponent has a Berry, but only removes Berries and Thief is a stronger Knock Off that requires you to not have an Item held. Fly for Tox-stall or Bone Rush for extra chipping factor and Substitutes (though you won't break very many of them). If you need to ask about Mandi's Toxic, you must be mentally ill. U-Turn to scout and escape.

Mandi-Choice
    Ability: Do I need to repeat it?
    Item: Choice Band/Scarf
    Stats: Adamant, Max Attack, Split defenses (EVs won't help much at an average Base 80 Speed)
    Moves: Knock Off/Punishment/Faint Attack/Payback, Pluck/Brave Bird/Fly, two of (U-Turn, Bone Rush, Steel Wing, Rock Tomb).

Yes, I suggested Rock Tomb. You may get lucky and face Flying Types trying to avoid Bone Rush, plus it's your only good attacking option VS Skarm'.

Mandi-blockade
    Ability: Seriously...get off my back about it...
    Item: Leftovers
    Stats: Careful, Max HP, Split defenses
    Moves: Fly, Substitute, Toxic, Roost

Sub up. Settle in. Fling Toxic like a monkey with so much poo. Stall away. Fly for Taunt-spammers and Tox-Stall.

Mandi's Options:
    -Toxic - Not really an option...more of a must have...
    -Dark Gem + Thief - Gimmicky, but a good way to neutralize certain threats.
    -Fly - Great for Tox-stalling.
    -Pluck - Great for, as a friend of mine would put it, "murdering Berry-reliant Pokemon in the face."
    -Swagger + Punishment - Best used on Special Attackers, plus Baton Passers and BP-recipients need to beware of Punishment in-general.
    -Bone Rush - Good for most Electric Types, but not all of them (Emolga, Rotom, and 'tross scoff at Ground Type Moves)
    -Rock Tomb - Good for Flying Types, especially if you try anything risky against Skarm'.
    -Whirlwind - Ineffective on Suction Cups and Magic Bounce Ability Pokemon, but can be used on Magic Bounce Pokemon as a means of escape if U-Turn isn't available. Great for spreading Toxic like so much manure...
    -Substitute - Great defenses and Base 110 HP make this an incredible option.
    -Roost - See Substitute.

Choice Vulture
    Air Slash
    Dark Pulse/U-turn
    Hidden Power fighting
    Shadow Ball
    nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 Sp.A 252 speed 4 HP
    Item: choice specs

shadow ball and HP fighting have great coverage together. Air slash and Dark pulse get STAB but you could opt out one of these for u-turn for scouting.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    Choice Vulture
    Air Slash
    Dark Pulse/U-turn
    Hidden Power fighting
    Shadow Ball
    nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 Sp.A 252 speed 4 HP
    Item: choice specs

shadow ball and HP fighting have great coverage together. Air slash and Dark pulse get STAB but you could opt out one of these for u-turn for scouting.
    seriously,why you list shadow ball when it already have dark pulse as stab??Dark and ghost have very similiar coverage y'now

Quote Originally Posted by ilex222 View Post
    seriously,why you list shadow ball when it already have dark pulse as stab??Dark and ghost have very similiar coverage y'now
    he put a specs set of a base 55 special attack so.. it doesn't matter as this set i just awful from the begining

offensive mandibuzz is only nasty plot/roost/dark pulse/STAB or HP fighting

as it might get the chance to get the boost and only that other sets are defensive and if they want to avoid being ruined by taunt then brave bird
    but this is a defensive pokemon.

Mandibuzz.. actually i was thinking about raising one for my sandstorm team, i think it'd make a good toxic stall.
    ability: overcoat
    item: leftovers
    nature: probably impish or calm.
    defensive ev spread
    -toxic
    -protect
    -roost
    -brave bird
    Pkmn W: 3181 5617 3649
    Pkmn W2: 1464 4040 1673
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/rbijc4.jpg[/IMG]

I don't think Nasty Plot's much better than a Specs set. You'd need way more than one Nasty Plot for OHKOs. +2 max SA Mandi can't OHKO Eviolite Magneton or Ferroseed with no SD investment.

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    I don't think Nasty Plot's much better than a Specs set. You'd need way more than one Nasty Plot for OHKOs. +2 max SA Mandi can't OHKO Eviolite Magneton or Ferroseed with no SD investment.
    well it need to get to +4 to do something.. not like it will survive long enough but it is the only way it can go for offence with +4 (like anything) it might be dangerous...

but stick with defensive anyway...

Great timing! I just caught a vullaby and was considring if i should train her or not.
    i guess the set i would use might be:
    -toxic
    -nasty plot/dark pulse
    -brave bird
    -fly

Her best ability seems to be overcoat which provides protection from the weather.
    She seems to work mostly with defense which i dont use very often so this might be interesting how my journey with the bone vulture pokemon will turn out.

If you want to do something really intresresting and overlooked with Mandibuzz, you can always go for something along the lines of, say, Modest or Timid nature, Weak Armour ability, holding either a Focus Sash (or maybe Leftovers if you want to invest in bulk), with an EV spread of 252 Speed, and 252 Special Attack, with 4 HP. 80 base speed is pretty decent to work with, especially with the Weak Armor boost.

I know you might be thinking 55 special attack isn't all that great-- To be honest it isn't. But Mandibuzz gets Nasty Plot. As soon as you get the 'Plot boost out, you're pretty much set to sweep, as your (max) ~458 Special Attack stat isn't to be scoffed at. Coupled with a max of ~428 speed after a Weak Armor boost, and you're set to sweep. I personally like this set because nobody expects it. They always go for a toxic or burn on Mandibuzz, giving me a free turn to set up. Personally, I use Special Sweeper Mandibuzz over a Wall Mandibuzz.

Possible Moveset:
    -Nasty Plot
    -Air Slash
    -Dark Pulse
    -Hidden Power Ice/Fighting/Grass

Nasty Plot for the needed boost, Air Slash and Dark Pulse for possible flinch hax and STAB, and HP fighting to round off the coverage. HP Ice and HP grass serve to cover weaknesses. HP Ice is mostly for the Dragon-dominated metagame, who expect an easy setup or switch in to Mandibuzz.

Other options:
    -Shadow Ball (Strong special attack but greatly outclassed by Dark Pulse)
    -Roost (If you want to be bulkier, I guess)
    -HP Fire (If your team doesn't have much fire coverage, Fighting is usually better though)

Possible team mates are things like Forretress and Claydol, who can spin away Rocks and have a nice covering type.

Unfortunately the counters are more numerous. Blissey, Shell Smash Cloyster, Ferrothorn if Mandibuzz isn't running HP Fire, and a Bulky Water such as Unaware Quagsire do well. Priority attacks also mess up Mandibuzz. On top of that, Heatran pretty much walls it unless it's running HP Fighting. Tyrantitar also does great, especially with the Sandstorm up. Most Rock types to well against Mandibuzz, in fact, unless it's running HP Grass.
    Last edited by F1r3h4wk; 3rd January 2012 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Togekiss View Post
    Great timing! I just caught a vullaby and was considring if i should train her or not.
    -toxic
    -nasty plot/dark pulse
    -brave bird
    -fly

Her best ability seems to be overcoat which provides protection from the weather.
    She seems to work mostly with defense which i dont use very often so this might be interesting how my journey with the bone vulture pokemon will turn out.
    If I were to choose Nasty Plot over Dark Pulse as you've written, it would go to waste as the rest of her offense in this list is physical instead of special.

It's also a bad idea to have half of your offensive choices be the same type.
    I'm thinking about creating a printer-friendly Pokédex guidebook for Black and White versions. Let me know what you think about it here.

Default Mandibuzz

Looking at its stats and I see that it has usable special attack, so...

Special Sweeper:
    Nature: Modest or Calm
    Item: Kings Rock
    EVS: (252 Sp. Attack, 189 Sp. Def, and 63 Speed) or (252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Def)
    Moves:
    Tail wind
    Dark Pulse
    Roost
    Airslash

Mandi would make a good special flinch sweeper. It's sort of like another togekiss except you have weather immunity. She would make a great tailwind support for hail teams and sandstorm teams.

U mad, sis?
    Ability: Overcoat or Weak Armor
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 189 Sp. Def, 126 HP, 126 Def, and 63 Attack (A little sucky and complex... But I am going for balance)
    Item: Lefties or Lum berry
    Moves:
    Flatter
    Swagger
    Punishment
    Roost

Confusion will wreck teams and make the foe play on luck. Best combined with a dual screener as well as a hail/sandstorm team.

Other options:

Bone rush: A ground attack that will whack out steels, electrics, and fire types.

Defog: It helps remove stealth rocks and other hazards

Brave bird: A great physical attack, but it does damage you.

U-turn: A good way to switch out, but I believe that Mandi might be too slow...

Whirlwind: Is a supporting pokemon from the other side bothering you? Whirlwind is your best friend!

Snarl: A move that will help if you don't want to spend EVs on special defence.

Payback: Another physical move if you want a physical defensive Mandibuzz with low speed.

Leer: Use with Earthquake.

Woah! I wrote a lot. Perhaps I'll train my own Mandibuzz for my Diamond Champs revival team.
    Last edited by GirlKirbyZombie; 4th January 2012 at 4:05 AM.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Togekiss View Post
    -toxic
    -nasty plot/dark pulse
    -brave bird
    -fly

nasty plot without any special move?LOLOLOLOLOL

Mandibuzz is easily one of the most overlooked pokemon this generation.It's one bulky bird which is quite a rare sight in a world swarming with Staraptor,Braviary and Archeops.
    Its speed's a bit disappointing at base 80,But 110,105 and 95 Base HP and Defences help it to stand out from the others.

It's quite capable at becoming offensive too,and Overcoat provides weather teams a useful asset.

Whilst overshadowed by Togekiss and classed as inferior to Braviary,Mandibuzz has potential whatever the weather-offensively and as a supporting role.

Abilities

Big Pecks-Prevents Defence reduction.Apart from Psych Up and Steel Wing,Mandibuzz has no real way of increasing its defence,which is where Mandibuzz could benefit greatly from it.
    Overcoat-A must-have for weather teams.This where Mandibuzz can really shine.
    (Dream World only)
    Weak Armour-I don't see why anyone would use this...exchanging its defence for speed is suicide considering its poor attack stats.
    It could be combined with Beat Up after a nasty plot set-up...but you're effectively killing yourself.

Supportive Role@Leftovers

Tailwind
    Toxic
    Punishment
    Flatter

Tailwind could give teammates a useful boost in speed-Mandibuzz also needs it badly.
    Confuse the foe with Flatter,then fight back with Punishment(one of the only decent attacks for Mandibuzz.
    Toxic is a filler that works effectively when used alongside flatter

Offensive Flinch Leftovers

Airslash
    Dark Pulse
    Nasty Plot
    Tailwind

While Mandibuzz has little sweeping potential,it's certainly possible after a few Nasty Plots and a Tailwind,which isn't that difficult for Mandibuzz thanks to its bulk.This is the odd set that I use;Airslash and Dark Pulse are both special attacks and occasionally flinch the target.Pair this with Leftovers,and you could recover your HP fairly effectively as your opponent struggles to land a hit.
    Only problem is,you'll have to set up Tailwind every 4 turns-giving your opponent a good chance to deal some decent damage it's only really useful alongside a teammate.
    Last edited by Archstaraptor; 7th January 2012 at 9:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archstaraptor View Post
    Mandibuzz is easily one of the most overlooked pokemon this generation.It's one bulky bird which is quite a rare sight in a world swarming with Staraptor,Braviary and Archeops.
    Its speed's a bit disappointing at base 80,But 110,105 and 95 Base HP and Defences help it to stand out from the others.

It's quite capable at becoming offensive too,and Overcoat provides weather teams a useful asset.

Whilst overshadowed by Togekiss and classed as inferior to Braviary,Mandibuzz has potential whatever the weather-offensively and as a supporting role.

Abilities

Big Pecks-Prevents Defence reduction.Apart from Psych Up and Steel Wing,Mandibuzz has no real way of increasing its defence,which is where Mandibuzz could benefit greatly from it.
    Overcoat-A must-have for weather teams.This where Mandibuzz can really shine.
    (Dream World only)
    Weak Armour-I don't see why anyone would use this...exchanging its defence for speed is suicide considering its poor attack stats.
    It could be combined with Beat Up after a nasty plot set-up...but you're effectively killing yourself.

Supportive Role@Leftovers

Tailwind
    Toxic
    Punishment
    Flatter

Tailwind could give teammates a useful boost in speed-Mandibuzz also needs it badly.
    Confuse the foe with Flatter,then fight back with Punishment(one of the only decent attacks for Mandibuzz.
    Toxic is a filler that works effectively when used alongside flatter
    this wont work,if the opponent is a special sweeper,after the confusion gone.you are skrewed.also ,why tailwind instead roost?its not like mandi will have much use with the speed boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Archstaraptor View Post

Offensive Flinch Leftovers

Airslash
    Dark Pulse
    Nasty Plot
    Tailwind

While Mandibuzz has little sweeping potential,it's certainly possible after a few Nasty Plots and a Tailwind,which isn't that difficult for Mandibuzz thanks to its bulk.This is the odd set that I use;Airslash and Dark Pulse are both special attacks and occasionally flinch the target.Pair this with Leftovers,and you could recover your HP fairly effectively as your opponent struggles to land a hit.
    Only problem is,you'll have to set up Tailwind every 4 turns-giving your opponent a good chance to deal some decent damage.
    this wont work either,w/o item boost,airslash and dark pulse have very small chance to flinch.

If you want to use Nasty Plot on an offensive set you're just using a crappy Misdreavous / elemental monkey / literally anything with Nasty Plot that is faster. Try a defensive EV spread with Nasty Plot so at any moment you won't sweep you can at least wall. Nasty Plot / Roost / Dark Pulse / Air Slash or Taunt.

General Wall.

Bold Nature, 252 Def 184Hp 72 SpDef @ leftovers .overcoat.

Roost
    Whirlwind
    Protect
    Toxic

Not much to do I guess just stall until toxic kills them pretty good at it's job but it's not a bad whirlwind abuser at least whirlwind will knck away the steels + poisons that you cant poison not a great pokemon but overcoat gives it a niche at least

I've ran Mandibuzz in OU and RU, and both times it has worked very well. I've found that Mandibuzz makes a great supporter and wall for Hail stall with its fantastic defenses and Overcoat. My old RU Hail stall team used a specially defensive variant, and it was easily the MVP in plenty of matches. I believe the move set-up was Knock Off/Toxic/Roost/Whirlwind. Knock Off is really valuable on this thing. In fact, knocking off Magmortar's Life Orb/Choice Specs prevented Thunderbolt from even 2HKOing, and a similar claim can be made about a lot of other sweepers. I believe I went full specially defensive, so something like this.

Mandibuzz@Leftovers
    Careful
    Overcoat
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Def
    Moves:
    -Knock Off
    -Roost
    -Whirlwind
    -Toxic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast