Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Community POTW #53

No idea if this set actually works, but I'll give it a shot.

Give, Take, then Punish

Moves:
    - Punishment
    - Swagger
    - Flatter/Knock Off/Roost
    - Psych Up

Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Overcoat
    EVs and Nature: 170 Atk/170 Def/170 SpDef; Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)

Basically, you use Swagger/Flatter as many times as you want, Psych Up (when using Swagger), and then Punishment. Unless you're afraid of the opponent's Pokemon getting dangerously high Attack, you're going to be using Swagger more often, so Knock Off can replace Flatter to make Mandibuzz more versatile, or Roost can takes its place to make Mandibuzz stay on the field a little longer. Also, if you want to be a little bit more defensive or offensive minded, you could put more EVs in that respective stat, but I prefer an equal balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Airo View Post

Give, Take, then Punish

Moves:
    - Punishment
    - Swagger
    - Psych Up

Basically, you use Swagger/Flatter as many times as you want, Psych Up (when using Swagger), and then Punishment. Unless you're afraid of the opponent's Pokemon getting dangerously high Attack, you're going to be using Swagger more often, so Knock Off can replace Flatter to make Mandibuzz more versatile, or Roost can takes its place to make Mandibuzz stay on the field a little longer. Also, if you want to be a little bit more defensive or offensive minded, you could put more EVs in that respective stat, but I prefer an equal balance.
    Love the idea, but hate the fact you're stuck with Dark Type offense. Maybe replace Psych Up (because you won't last long if you predict wrong) with Toxic (Tox-fusion works well enough) or Brave Bird (use with Roost).

Flatter is great for attacking Physical Attackers (likewise Swagger for Special), but Mixed Attackers and Own Tempo will screw that set up over incredibly hard. Slowbro/king can be quite deadly to Mandi', despite the Dark VS Psychic advantage, because of Own Tempo and the capacity for Mixed (despite their lower Attack), as well as Lilligant (despite the Flying VS Grass advantage) and Lickilicky (incredible capacity for Mixed). Maybe Purugly, too, but it's less likely.

Default Nature and EVs?

Quote Originally Posted by Airo View Post

Give, Take, then Punish

Moves:
    - Punishment
    - Swagger
    - Psych Up

I really like the idea, but I think the nature needs to be a careful nature because special defense is kind of low. I also did some math and I think that the EV spread needs an adjustment because 170 divided by 4 is 42.5, which is not a whole number.

Other than that, I will consider to use this set.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Actually, (s)he would be better off putting those defensive EVs into HP

First commandent of EV spreads: EVs in HP >>> splitting EVs between both defenses with a few minor exceptions.

I have claimed Giratina

Default another support type

Overcoat (preferred)
    Leftovers/Lum Berry
    Sassy (any def/sp def up, speed/att/sp att down will do)
    252 def/ 252 sp def/ 4 hp

Toxic
    Roost
    Taunt
    Flatter

A lot of bulk encouraging opponents to faint themselves. Flatter is good against pesky steel types. It is very easy to get a useful nature with this set, which has good staying power if you have patience.

No Bones About It
    Mandibuzz@Leftovers
    Careful nature
    Overcoat
    252 HP/128 Def/128 Sp. Def
    ~Roost
    ~Toxic
    ~Substitute/Bone Rush
    ~Whirlwind

A defensive Flying-type isn't a very common thing in this day and age, let alone one based on a bird. Most bird-based Flying-types focus on hitting fast and hitting hard, though usually aren't as proficient at this role as tons of other Pokémon. Mandibuzz is an interesting exception. Its defensive stats are very impressive, with 110/105/95 being nothing to sneeze at. With that in mind, behold a defensive set. Toxic will be Mandibuzz's main form of damage-dealing. Roost heals Mandibuzz, but also removes its Flying-type for the rest of the turn. However, at base 80 Speed, Mandibuzz isn't exactly gonna be outspeeding too much, so that may be a moot point. Whirlwind can get a potentially troublesome opponent out, and discourages setting up. Substitute is a decent idea, but Bone Rush stops Mandibuzz from being total Taunt bait. Bone Rush also has the added benefit of being super-effective against the Poison-types and Steel-types that are immune to Toxic.

Item is obvious. Ability prevents Hail or Sandstorm damage, which makes Mandibuzz a prime candidate for either kind of team.

Insert Witty Pun Here
    Mandibuzz@Leftovers
    Modest nature
    Overcoat
    252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/4 Sp. Def
    ~Nasty Plot
    ~Air Slash
    ~Dark Pulse
    ~Roost/Hidden Power (Fighting)

Not the best option a Mandibuzz has, but an option nonetheless. After one Nasty Plot, Mandibuzz reaches a respectable 458 Special Attack, which may allow it to sweep in lower tiers, and even score a surprise KO in the upper tiers. Air Slash and Dark Pulse get STAB, and are really Mandibuzz's only options for special attacks. HP Fighting is an option for the final slot, as it gets great coverage with Dark Pulse, but Roost is preferred, as Mandibuzz will take damage.

Item is obvious. Ability prevents weather damage, and preventing any kind of damage is generally a good thing.

Bare Bones Gimmick
    Mandibuzz@Leftovers
    Adamant nature
    Overcoat
    252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp. Def
    ~Swagger
    ~Psych Up
    ~Mean Look
    ~Punishment

A little convoluted, but it could work in theory. After Psych Upping one Swagger, Mandibuzz has 502 Attack, and a Punishment attack with an effective base power of 100, and that's without factoring STAB in! Mean Look is to prevent the opponent from switching out and ruining the strategy.

Item and ability are to help with Mandibuzz's survival, especially as this one doesn't have Roost.

Other options:
    *Mirror Move has some situational use. Very, very situational.
    *Mandibuzz has a semi-decent physical movepool, such as Brave Bird, Punishment, Bone Rush, Steel Wing, etc., but its Attack is only marginally better than its Special Attack, and Mandibuzz doesn't learn Swords Dance.
    *Incinerate is good against berry-wielding opponents, but Mandibuzz already gets Embargo for that purpose.

Abilities:
    *Overcoat: Prevents damage from Hail and Sandstorm. As a defensive Pokémon whose typing doesn't afford it a natural immunity to either weather effect, Mandibuzz appreciates this ability greatly.
    *Big Pecks: In addition to having one of Nintendo of America's better puns as a name, prevents Defense from being lowered. It's decent enough in theory, as a defensive Pokémon naturally doesn't want its Defense lowered. But how often does that actually happen? Who runs moves like Tail Whip and Screech on anything? That's what I thought. Defense lowering happens as the side effect of certain attacks, but anything that learns Crush Claw also learns Return and Frustration, and Cloyster has much better options against Mandibuzz than Razor Shell.
    *Weak Armor: Mandibuzz's Hidden Ability. When Mandibuzz takes a physical hit, its Defense goes down and its Speed goes up. One-stage changes either way. Hands-down a very undesirable ability for a defensive Pokémon, but it could see use on the Nasty Plot set with a little tweaking of the EVs, which would allow Mandibuzz to be one of those fast sweepers. Base 80 Speed isn't too good, but it's not so bad that a one-stage increase wouldn't make a world of difference. Bit of a shame Weak Armor Mandibuzz isn't actually legal yet.

Partners:
    You want to have a Rapid Spinner or a Magic Bouncer on the same team as Mandibuzz, as she despises Stealth Rock. A nice, offensive Ground-type is also good, as the standard defensive set can't do diddly to a Steel-type or a Poison-type.

Counters:
    Stealth Rock takes a large chunk of Mandibuzz's HP upon switching in, which is not a desirable thing with a defensive Pokémon. Steel-types and Poison-types wall the standard set completely. And Mandibuzz's respectable Defense isn't gonna be too much help when Cloyster's launching its +2 STAB Skill Linked Icicle Spear.

Opinion:
    Mandibuzz is an interesting concept, just... not done well enough. Such is the case with lots of other Pokémon, but Mandibuzz doesn't have it as bad as certain others *coughDelibirdcough*.

Prediction for next week:
    Klinklang
    Last edited by Missingno. Master; 6th January 2012 at 4:17 PM.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Prologue up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

One quick word of advice: I've found on some occasions that if you're running Taunt in RU, it might be beneficial to run just 44 Spe EVs to outspeed 0 Spe Gligar and Taunt it before it Taunts you. Otherwise, Gligar usually has a pretty easy time stalling you out.

If you want to see this bird in action go to ins4negam3rs website on youtube it is a beast
    Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
    Ability Big Pecks
    Nature Careful
    252 hp 252 def 6 sp def
    Whirlwind
    Brave bird
    Roost
    Toxic

|||||||
    Yellow Lv 36 | Saph Lv 35 | Garnet Lv 35 | Eevee Lv 34 | TDK Lv 38 | APorygonZ Lv 33
    Credit to Blues

SR-71 Blackbird
    Overcoat@Leftovers
    252 Sp. Atk. 252 Sp. Def. 4 spd.
    Dark Pulse
    Air Slash
    Nasty Plot
    Hidden Power(Fight)/Roost/Shadow Ball

This set is meant to be slightly more aggressive. Nasty Plot sets you up for more powerful strikes. Dark Pulse and Air Slash give decent STAB coverage. Combined with Nasty Plot, you can do some nice damage. The fourth move is kinda on what you're style is. You can use Hidden Power to defend yourself from other Darks, Ice, and Rock, Mandibuzz's weakness'. But if you're a more defensive person, you can use Roost to heal yourself when you're injured. Also, You can use Shadow Ball to get rid of any ghosts trying to wall you.
    Last edited by briguin; 7th January 2012 at 3:29 PM.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/11lihjr.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i51.*******.com/11lihjr.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i51.*******.com/11lihjr.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i51.*******.com/11lihjr.gif[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i43.*******.com/11i1u8j.png[/IMG]

Credit to Mew_ for the banner and pokemon player for the Growlithe Lickies.

What's with all the NP sets? Remember, you're boosting base 55 base Sp. Atk. Even Spinda laughs at this. And you're still easily walled at +2. You need +4 to do something, and if you're getting that many NPs, then you're likely facing a bad player.
    Last edited by Vandslaux; 7th January 2012 at 2:28 PM.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    What's with all the NP sets? Remember, you're boosting base 55 base Sp. Atk. Even Spinda laughs at this. And you're still easily walled at +2. You need +4 to do something, and if you're getting that many NPs, then you're likely facing a bad player.
    not really he get's to 458 special attack which is very high... (I think with modest and 252 EVs not sure it was mentioned in the thread) and it is a defensive pokemon so it might get to +4 maybe...

it got more coverage than swords dance skarmory.
    Last edited by Ilan; 7th January 2012 at 5:13 PM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    Alone,I agree it's a bit vulnerable.(+4=2 nasty plots,which is manageable though)
    However,
    I think Mandibuzz makes for a great ally for a physical sweeper;even one nasty plot is useful,which doubles the original power(first time-power increases by 100% per 'plot).

Mandibuzz is really bulky for a bird,so it's capable of doing this-I've tried this online.
    Airslash and Dark pulse are also both STAB moves(1.5x damage thank you very much).Now,add the chances of both these moves flinching if you hit first-
    base 80 speed isn't that bad,but I use Tailwind for safekeeping-base speed is now 120-and you can really help your ally too.But roost is also a useful way of fending off foes with leftovers on top.

What I'm trying to say is,Mandibuzz isn't the most reliable pokemon and might not be the best choice for single battles(although it's still capable of holding its own).
    With an ally though,Mandibuzz offers truly terrifying support-and if it manages to fit in 3 nasty plots,it maxes its sp.atk(invest EVs here).

I think that,paired with a team(especially a weather one)with a good strategy it could be really useful.

Although you have to admit,400% of its sp.atk is still quite threatening thing with a base of 55

That's pretty decent damage,and you've got two complementary attacks with a chance of flinching!
    I personally don't think it's that bad!
    Last edited by Archstaraptor; 7th January 2012 at 5:36 PM.

Some damage calcs on why Sweeper Mandibuzz is a waste:

Max SA Mandibuzz with HP Fighting at +2 cannot OHKO an Eviolite max SA Magneton with no additional defensive investment. Meanwhile this Magneton has a 62.5% chance of OHKOing you with Thunderbolt, 100% if you took SR damage.

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    Max SA Mandibuzz with HP Fighting at +2 cannot OHKO an Eviolite max SA Magneton with no additional defensive investment. Meanwhile this Magneton has a 62.5% chance of OHKOing you with Thunderbolt, 100% if you took SR damage.
    Well,it can't win 'em all.Steels,will wall Mandibuzz fairly easily regardless,really.
    It's a multimon battle contender-strong fire,fighting or ground counters would be ideal partners...
    Last edited by Archstaraptor; 7th January 2012 at 6:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archstaraptor View Post
    Well,it can't win 'em all.Steels,will wall Mandibuzz fairly easily regardless,really.
    It's a multimon battle contender-strong fire,fighting or ground counters would be ideal partners...
    Dugtrio could be such a good partner to this situation... too bad it is OU now.

but magneton is REALLY bulky it doesn't count if you would say... it can't KO a spinda then.. it will be bad what about other stuff.. like psychic types uxie for example....

Mandibuzz, not my favorite, but not too bad eithier.

Mandibuzz@Leftovers
    Nature: Careful
    EV's: 252 HP, 132 Def, 120 SDef
    Moves:
    Taunt
    Toxic
    U-Turn
    Roost

Mandibuzz@Scope Lens
    Nature: Modest
    EV's: 252 SAtk, 28 Def, 28 SDef, 200 Spd
    Moves:
    Air Slash
    Dark Pulse
    Nasty Plot
    Tailwind
    Last edited by Pika ruler; 8th January 2012 at 12:25 AM.
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/10ws194.gif[/IMG]

PO name: [TEG]Pika ruler
    PS name: Pika ruler

Spoiler:- Credit:

Just my 2 cents here. Do NOT add "sweeper" sets. Even when hold a life orb, +2 Mandibuzz doesn't hit hard. Sure, being able to roost and flawless coverage is sexy on paper, but it just doesn't work on practice.
    Guess I'm good at RNGing stuff.
    [IMG]http://oi40.*******.com/ekkuat.jpg[/IMG]
    Trainer sprite by me. PM me if you want a Gen V shiny and/or flawless pokémon, I'll RNG it for you. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    not really he get's to 458 special attack which is very high... (I think with modest and 252 EVs not sure it was mentioned in the thread) and it is a defensive pokemon so it might get to +4 maybe...

it got more coverage than swords dance skarmory.
    GL surviving 3 attacks to get 2 NP's and attack with an SR weakness. And 80 Speed gets you past what in RU, Magneton, Gligar, Cofagrigus (two of which can poison you)..? And in OU, it gets you past Scizor, Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Breloom, only one of which it can beat. And even then, Breloom can completely **** over Mandibuzz with any of it's moves bar Seed Bomb. And he needs to run a Timid nature to even outrun half of these's most common sets, as Timid Heatran and Jolly Breloom outrun and seriously damage or cripple, meaning he loses out on even more power.

And kaizer soze, I'm guessing that calc is with HP Fighting?
    Last edited by Vandslaux; 8th January 2012 at 6:04 AM.

Do you know how much damage HP fighting would do in a situation like that?
    I'm interested.
    Use it in proportion with Magneton's HP:above half? below half?Into red(unlikely)?
    I'm just interested in seeing roughly how much damage this bird can do,because when I think about it,there's a fairly small number of birds that even stand a chance against steels;if it can deal decent damage,that's great-everything has weaknesses.

Staraptor has Close Combat, Honchkrow has Heat Wave and Superpower, Gliscor has EQ, most Fire/Flyings make short work of Steels.

Another set.

Mandibuzz@(not sure)
    Nature: Adament or Modest
    EV's: 252 Atk, 200 Spd, 56 SDef OR 252 SAtk, 200 Spd, 56 SDef
    Moves:
    Swagger
    Psych Up
    Punishment
    Brave Bird
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/10ws194.gif[/IMG]

PO name: [TEG]Pika ruler