Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Battling the King of the Mines! (722)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Munchlax View Post
    Also, did anyone else feel creeped out a when one of Clay's miners chuckled after saying "My boss's pokémon are all extremely powerful" to Ash?
    Sure did. 0_o Honestly, for a moment, I was worried that something bad was gonna happen.

Anyway, I enjoyed this episode more than I thought I would. I like the gym leader episodes a lot more in BW than I did in past seasons.

Things started out nice and ominous with that psycho guy leading them to the gym, and the battle got started quickly. I like how they’ve retained the gym gimmicks from the games. I instantly sympathized with Ash after the wisecrack about him using cute Pokémon—I love cute Pokémon, and I tore through Clay with unevolved ones! (Hooray for Snivy!)

Ash’s come-from-behind victories often seem contrived, but I thought the writers did a good job with Oshawott versus Krokorok... if I spelled that right. Ash’s strategy was interesting, and it was particularly smart to squirt into the hole Krok dug. That part of the battle was this episode’s highlight for me.

But Ash was stupid to keep on battling with Oshawott. It was nice to see Snivy rip through Palpitoad: my Snivy did the exact same in Clay’s gym a lot. Clay sure was mean when he lost fair and square to Ash’s strategy.

The Excadrill battle... wasn’t very impressive to me. First off, the fact that Clay mentioned how much he’s done with Excadrill only highlighted how odd it is that gym leaders lose if they’re going full-force. Second off, I thought Ash just got lucky with the evolution: he basically had Roggenrola be nothing more than target practice. Oh well. At least Boldore “hugging” Ash at the end was funny and cute.

Though it had a few downsides, it was a very good episode overall.
    ~ * My Photobucket Album * ~

Thousands of screencaps of Pokémon, Toradora!, Shugo Chara!, Clannad, K-ON!, and many other anime.
    Use them however you want!

~ * GoodSearch * ~

Search engine that donates a penny to the charity of your choosing every time you do a search. Spread the word, help the world!

Click here to read my one and only Pokemon fanfic! I hope you enjoy it!

I only post on Serebii sporadically, just so you know.

This was a great Gym battle. Ash was actually very competent, which is a stark contrast to his behaviour during Elesa's Gym battle. It's a shame this series is often inconsistent. The evolution animation was impressive.

Somehow the beginning of this episode felt creepily drawn out with the mine workers. Like, suuuuper long unecessary mine shaft ride..Or maybe I was just sick of being teased of the Driftveil City Gym Battle...Qwaa

My favorite part of this episode was definitely where Clay got mad at Ash and accused him of sneaky tactics. I'd argue that Ash was battling fair and square, but Clay's reaction was still funny. It's also interesting that all of Clay's pokemon were ones either owned by a twerp (palpitoad and excadril) or about to be owned (krokorok).

7/10
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 11/10 NEW!! 11/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

Quote Originally Posted by ForgottenPearl View Post
    The Excadrill battle... wasn’t very impressive to me. First off, the fact that Clay mentioned how much he’s done with Excadrill only highlighted how odd it is that gym leaders lose if they’re going full-force. Second off, I thought Ash just got lucky with the evolution: he basically had Roggenrola be nothing more than target practice. Oh well. At least Boldore “hugging” Ash at the end was funny and cute.
    I was thinking the same thing as well when I saw the Excadrill battle vs. Roggenrola, but then I realized something when I saw what happened after Horn Drill. Even when it made direct contact, Roggenrola didn't go down at all, and normally, Horn Drill only works if the user is at a higher or equal level, so this meant one of two things. Either the old mechanics of Sturdy kicked in (which I doubt), or Roggenrola was already at a higher level than Excadrill to begin with.

It was a great gym battle. I loved seeing Roggenrola evolve and I liked that Clay made the gym all by himself

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910