Thread: Community POTW #54

Default Community POTW #54

Time for the third of the year

Quagsire. A classic bulky evil awesome Pokémon

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/195.shtml

It can do a lot in battles and Unaware opens it up to even more

Go nuts

I just wanna say: Epic face is epic.
    I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)

Demon Fox Trainer
    ~ignis~
    I claim DW "Under-The-Sun" Ninetails

Almost first

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Unaware
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Curse
    - Waterfall
    - Earthquake
    - Recover

Probably Quagsires best offensive set. With it's great new ability it is able to come in on pokemon that have set up and don't completely threaten him and curse while they wont be able to do much damge to him or curse while they switch. The two moves he has offer STAB and if he gets enough curses he can do some damge with it. Recover for revcovery. A partner to go best with Quagsire would be a pokemon who can resist grass since he has it good with only one not-so-common weakness.

Default Quagsire

Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Careful (High SpD, Low SpA)
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 HP
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Moveset:
    - Stockpile
    - Recover
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake

UNAWARE: Good for a more offenseive set, put water absorb is better here.

STOCKPILE: Raises defenses to decrease the damage done to you. you would not have much chance to use it more than 3 times anyway with its awful stats

RECOVER: A must have, once your defenses are good, just recover, and keep it going when the foe is poisoned.

TOXIC: Your main way of doing damage.

EARTHQUAKE: Gets the steels immune to Toxic.

Try This:

move 1: Toxic / Boil Over
    move 2: Yawn
    move 3: Encore
    move 4: Recover
    item: Leftovers
    ability: Water Absorb
    nature: Careful
    evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef

But interesting pick Mr. Joe

ability

Damp:easilly quagsire worst ability,as not many pokemon use explosion or
    selfdestruc anymore

Water absorb:you are imune to water attacks and get your health recovered
    wich is always nice

Unaware:Stops sweeper from....sweeping your team,hell yeah. its
    amazing

Curse

-Curse
    -recover
    -Waterfall
    -Earthquake

nature: impish
    item: leftovers
    Evs:252 Hp/252 spD/4 Atk
    Abylity:Water absorb /Unaware

Waterfall and earthquake is your STAB move.curse to boots your atk and defense to further levels.recover is for recovery so you can boost more.

Restalker

-Rest
    -sleeptalk
    -Watterfall
    -earthquake
    Nature:impish
    item:leftovers
    EVs:252 Hp/252 SpD/4 def
    abylity:unaware/water absorb
    tus ,wich is nice

Phsycally Defensive
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge / Waterfall
    - Toxic
    - Recover
    Item : Leftovers
    Ability: Unaware
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Nature:impish

the main goal here is to stop phsicall sweeper from sweeping.erthquake is your strongest move here.stone edge is for bugs and flying,waterfall if you want another stab move.toxic to crippe your opponent.recover is......recover

i could list some counter,but its sure counters is bulky grass(aslong they dont get hit by fist of ice).nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by Sala-imence View Post
    Nature: Careful (High SpD, Low SpA)
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 HP
    Moveset:
    - Stockpile
    - Recover
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake

UNAWARE: Good for a more offenseive set, put water absorb is better here.

STOCKPILE: Raises defenses to decrease the damage done to you. you would not have much chance to use it more than 3 times anyway with its awful stats

RECOVER: A must have, once your defenses are good, just recover, and keep it going when the foe is poisoned.

TOXIC: Your main way of doing damage.

EARTHQUAKE: Gets the steels immune to Toxic.

and weizing will make you look stupid....

Quote Originally Posted by chellochello View Post
    Try This:

move 1: Toxic / Boil Over

whats boil over?do you mean scald?
    Last edited by ilex222; 8th January 2012 at 2:42 PM.

Quagsire might not have the best stats, but with two good STABs and Unaware it can get the job done.

Physical Quagsire
    Quagsire @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP/160 Atk/96 SDef
    Brave (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Aqua Tail
    - Earthquake
    - Recover
    - Curse
    I know this seems similar to other Curse Unaware sets, but don’t forget that Wooper gets Aqua Tail from the Dream World. While it has 90% accuracy, it is more powerful than Waterfall. So, Aqua Tail and Earthquake are for STAB. Recover is for once you've taken too many hits. And of course, Curse increases attack and natural bulk making Quagsire do more damage. This is best set up by or partnered with a Trick Roomer.
    Last edited by grantholomew; 8th January 2012 at 3:13 PM.

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Quagsire has always been a respectable choice in the lower tiers due to being akin to Swampert, with an excellent defensive typing and immunity to Water moves through Water Absorb. And then Game freak came along and blessed our derpy friend with one of the best abilities in existence, Unaware. With this, Quagsire can happily switch into that +6 offensive sweeper and tank their hits, ignoring that hefty boost. Need a check for that SmashPassed Rampardos? Quagsire. Need to find a way to neutralise that buffed Cresselia's special power? Quagsire. Want an offensive front to break Gliscor? Quagsire.

In terms of other abilities, Damp is utterly useless as Quagsire has the physical defence to take the crappy nerfed Explosion anyways, while Water Absorb is a good ability too. It's worth noting that Unaware Quagsire can't get Ice Punch due to being a 4th gen tutor move, however, but it can get by.

Other Options

Thanks to Unaware, Quagsire can switch into just about any setup sweeper and ruin their boosts with Haze, allowing another better offensive mon to come in after they're forced to try and set up once more. Yawn exists to force switches, allowing Quag to heal up with Recover or boost with a Curse set. Though nerfed, Encore can be very useful by locking something into a boosting or ineffective move for a few turns, forcing the foe to either switch or get set up on themselves. While a bit gimmicky, Quagsire has access to Counter, which can take a physical sweeper off guard and revenge kills any dragon locked into Outrage. Stockpile is another option, but Curse is generally a much better move due to increasing Quagsire's respectable attack. Scald is an option for fishing for burns (hehe, fishing) but with a poor base 65 special attack, don't expect miracle sweeps.

In terms of checks and counters, regardless of how much Curses Quagsire has under his belt, Lilligant will completely and utterly destroy the fish with powerful STAB Grass moves. Many bulky grass types, especially Grass/Poison, can come in on Quagsire and threaten with special grass moves. On an offensive Curse set, physically defensive grass types will tank Waterfall and Earthquake comfortably and threaten with their STAB moves. Yanmega can switch into Earthquake and threaten with Giga Drain, but must be wary of Waterfall.

In OU, Quagsire has stiff teamslot competition with fellow Water/Ground, Gastrodon. While Unaware makes Quagsire a serious check to things who rely on setup such as Toxicroak, Gastrodon's broader offensive range and buffed Storm Drain allows for an alternative sweeper capable of going special.

I reject your Nyancats and replace it with my own.
    FB

Quote Originally Posted by fishyfool View Post
    It's worth noting that Unaware Quagsire can't get Ice Punch due to being a 4th gen tutor move

whoa, ididnt know that O_O

i will edit my sets,thanks for mentioning

Never use Stockpile. That's such a bad set its hilarious. You reach a max of +3, are vulnerable to Toxic and have virtually no offense. At least Curse gives you a shot at killing something.

Unaware is pretty much THE ability to use.. Water Absorb is outclassed by Gastrodon.

Counters: While his type is nice, it leaves him with one giant sun weakness. Namely, Chlorphyll sweepers that aren't bothered by either of its stabs. Pretty much any of them can completely stop. Sawsbuck and Lilligant can easily outspeed him and take him out with stab grass moves, even if sun isn't out. Toxic spikes/plain Toxic are also the bane of Quagsire, as it relies on staying power. Burn is an okay alternative when dealing with curse sets.
    I have officially claimed Castform, The Master of all Weather!

Monorpale is my favorite Gen 6 Pokemon so far. If you have a problem with it, you can talk to the tassel hand.

Fighting Quagsire
    While you can't really counter too effectively, Quagsire can be managed by analyzing its stats:
    -Maxed out HP falls short of the magic 404, so Substitute won't help it much.
    -Attack and Defense are slightly above my personal average (which is 80 for non-HP), but pair well with its low Speed and Curse access.
    -Special Stats are underwhelming. Below average Sp.Def + quad Grass weakness may just be your doom.
    -Quag's Speed is absolute crap. However, that's never a bad thing because of Trick Room. Few Pokemon have lower Speed, but a few of those few carry Grass Type Moves (especially Ferrothorn, which has it as a STAB Type).

Furthermore, Quag' gets quite a few Moves to deal with Grass Types. Poison and Ice are plentiful, but, again, Ferrothorn is a major pain. Additionally, Quag' gets access to the Ground-Rock attack Move combo, plenty of Added Status attack Moves, and a respectably diverse Movepool (not the best, but quite capable).

Even though it doesn't have decent Sp.Atk, several of Quag's Special Moves have nasty Added Effects like Burn, Poison, or Stat Debuff, so they aren't completely off the table. Scald, Sludge Bomb, Mud Bomb, and Acid Spray can work well on certain Special or Mixed Quag'.

I noticed that a lot of you have Water/Ground as your main two attacking types. Effective, but walled by the rare Mantine with Water Absorb. Lower Tiers, I know, but Quagsire.

With his typing though, I agree with a few above that he is a great check to most Pokemon. Haven't tried him yet, but I will when I have time, just to check a few sets
    Double battles

Quote Originally Posted by grantholomew View Post
    Quagsire might not have the best stats, but with two good STABs and Unaware it can get the job done.

Physical Quagsire
    Quagsire @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP/160 Atk/96 SDef
    Brave (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Aqua Tail
    - Earthquake
    - Recover
    - Curse
    I know this seems similar to other Curse Unaware sets, but don’t forget that Wooper gets Aqua Tail from the Dream World. While it has 90% accuracy, it is more powerful than Waterfall. So, Aqua Tail and Earthquake are for STAB. Recover is for once you've taken too many hits. And of course, Curse increases attack and natural bulk making Quagsire do more damage. This is best set up by or partnered with a Trick Roomer.
    Aqua Tail comes from Generation IV, so it's not possible to pass to an Unaware Quagsire.
    I'm thinking about creating a printer-friendly Pokédex guidebook for Black and White versions. Let me know what you think about it here.

Duh... Me No Allowed To Curse...
    Quagsire@Leftovers
    Careful nature
    Unaware
    252 HP/252 Sp. Def/4 Def
    ~Curse
    ~Waterfall/Stone Edge
    ~Earthquake
    ~Recover

A classic example of a once mediocre Pokémon whose Hidden Ability made it really shine. A Curse set is viable on Quagsire in spite of its iffy Special Defense. Its ability, Unaware, makes Quagsire ignore any stat changes the foe incurs other than Speed (and with Curse, you're not really sweating the Speed anyway), making Quagsire one of the most perfect things to use against set-up sweepers. Earthquake is for STAB, and Recover is to heal up. You can either run Waterfall for moar STAB, or Stone Edge for the EdgeQuake combo.

Item is obvious. Ability I already explained.

Duh... Chooooiiiccceee Baaaaannnduh?
    Quagsire@Choice Band
    Brave nature
    Water Absorb
    252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp. Def
    ~Waterfall
    ~Earthquake
    ~Stone Edge
    ~Ice Punch

Quagsire has semi-decent Attack, making a Choice Band set viable. EdgeQuake, plus Waterfall for more STAB, and Ice Punch for extra coverage.

Item is obvious. Ability is the only one legal with Ice Punch that doesn't totally suck.

Other options:
    *Scald can see use on a physical wall set, but Quagsire's Special Attack isn't really good enough to back it up.
    *Rest and Sleep Talk can work over Recover and one of the attacking moves on the Curse set, but whichever move you're left with, you're gonna have problems. Stick with Waterfall, Toxicroak and Gastrodon wall you to hell and back. Stick with Earthquake, and the likes of Swellow and Weezing laugh in your face. Stick with Stone Edge, and watch as the PP runs out entirely too quickly.

Abilities:
    *Damp: Prevents the usage of Selfdestruct and Explosion, and stops Aftermath from activating. Aftermath is never used anyway, and ever since they got nerfed, neither have Selfdestruct and Explosion. This is, therefore, a patently useless ability. Never use it. Never. Ever.
    *Water Absorb: When Quagsire takes a Water move, it recovers HP. Essentially gives it an immunity to Water, which nothing has naturally. More than a decent ability, but still not the best Quagsire has to offer.
    *Unaware: Quagsire's Hidden Ability, and a true Arceussend. Makes Quagsire ignore the opponent's stat boosts not named Speed. Stops stuff like Belly Drum Linoone, Nasty Plot Mismagius, and even Shell Smash Cloyster in their tracks. And it's legal to have on Quagsire right now!

Partners:
    Unless it's got RestTalk, you want a cleric on hand, because Quagsire loathes getting poisoned or burned. Something with Sap Sipper makes a beautiful partner for Quagsire, as it will be attracting more than its fair share of Grass moves.

Counters:
    Absorb. Mega Drain. Giga Drain. Energy Ball. And any other special Grass moves I neglected to mention. Will-O-Wisp also stops Quagsire dead in its tracks unless it's packing Rest.

Opinion:
    Quagsire is cool. I'm always glad to see the underdog get its time to shine, and this is no exception.

Prediction for next week:
    Bibarel

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Lizzy View Post
    Aqua Tail comes from Generation IV, so it's not possible to pass to an Unaware Quagsire.
    Actually, it is, it's just illegal with Curse. Wooper can have Aqua Tail as a Dream World move.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 3 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

QUAGGY!!!

Sorry, I went a tish overboard there... But Quagsire is my FAVORITE Water type EVER! I just can't put in enough praise for him. He has the goofiest face, good defensive stats, a nice typing, enough of a movepool to work with, and some great abilities. His, Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense and Speed are a bit of a downer, and he goes down so quickly to Grass moves, but Quaggy (my pet name for Quagsire) can give ol' Swampert and even Gastrodon a run for their money as far as bulky Water/Ground types go.

Damp prevents Selfdestruct and Explosion from working. It had some use in Double Battles last generation, but because Selfdestruct and Explosion got severely nerfed this gen, this ability is more or less useless now.

Water Absorb is the ability to go for if you want a Quagsire with 4th gen moves like Ice Punch. Quagsire gets a free 25% heal every time he is hit with a Water-type attack. This ability is more valuable on Quaggy than on most other Pokemon who get this ability, as he normally takes neutral damage from Water attacks. If you use Quaggy as an Uber, this ability also stops most Kyogre variants cold.

Unaware is one of the best new abilities out there. Quagsire ignores any increases or decreases to the opponents stats (barring Speed, I believe). However, I don't think it ignores Choice items. This makes Quagsire a very effective counter to most set-up sweepers (particularly Swords Dancers and Dragon Dancers). Keep in mind though, that it also makes him fodder for moves that lower the user's stats, like Draco Meteor and Superpower.

Quaggy's movepool is just enough for a defensive Pokemon to work with, and it gels well with his stats and typing. Every Quagsire will want Earthquake. It's reliable, it's strong, and it gets STAB. Alongside that, it's often a good idea to run another offensive move. You can pick a Rock attack like Stone Edge, an Ice attack like Ice Punch, or a Water attack like Waterfall. Scald isn't a bad idea either. Although Quagsire's Sp. Attack is poor, the high burn chance from Scald can greatly increase Quagsire's survivablility. Defensive Quagsire will also need Recover. This Egg move is one of the things that makes Quagsire better than Swampert in my opinion. A quick 50% heal with no time spent sleeping is very advantageous in this environment, especially when you're using Quagsire against set-up sweepers. Toxic is nice on Quagsire, as its his best option against opposing walls if he doesn't stat boost himself. Speaking of which, Quagsire gets Curse, and he is one of the better Cursers out there. He is slow as is, so he doesn't have to worry about the Speed drop, and the Attack and Defense increases are much appreciated. Encore got nerfed, but its still useful with proper prediction, as Quagsire usually won't be outrunning his foes. Body Slam could be useful on occasion, but there are much better moves to use instead. Sub-Punching is another option, although its illegal with Unaware. Quagsire gets Acid Spray now, so a special set is somewhat viable now, but he's too slow to really make use of it. He's a decent Choice Bander, though.

I have two different Quagsire, one for Singles and one for Doubles. (Incidentally, they are both male and named Slipslide.) For this thread, though, I will put the Singles set.

Unaware Cursire
    Careful Nature (+Sp. Defense, -Sp. Attack)
    Unaware
    252 HP, 252 Sp. Defense, 6 Defense
    Leftovers OR Rocky Helmet
    Earthquake
    Curse
    Rock Slide
    Recover

The Cursire from last generation, but with Unaware. This guy...walled an entire team on random wifi once. (Granted, my opponent was probably a noob, but the fact that he stayed strong against a Choice Banded Outraging Garchomp speaks volumes). Heavy HP and Sp. Defense investment is important, as Curse covers the physical side of things. I chose Rock Slide because I have the worst luck with Stone Edge. For the item choice, Leftovers is much preferred, but I sometimes use the Rocky Helmet on random wifi or when Item Clause is in effect and another one of my Pokemon has the Lefties. Everything else was covered earlier.

This link will take you to a Youtube video of mine showing this little guy in action against the team he walled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnZjazSn3lw

Double and Triple Battle Options: Water Absorb is usually the ability to go with here, as it enables immunities to Surf and other Water attacks. A Discharge immunity from Quagsire's Ground typing is also a plus here. I have a Quagsire on a team that focuses on Power Split and Guard Split, and once Shuckle has used Guard Split on Quagsire... Hoo, boy. He. Just. Doesn't. Die. Of course, Phazing ruins everything, but that's less common in Doubles. This Youtube video shows this strategy in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z81UoTjgZtc

Countering Quagsire: Grass attacks. Quagsire can't afford to take a single hit from a Grass type move. He goes down so easily to Grass attacks, its not even funny. I haven't seen a single instance where he wasn't OHKO'd by a Grass attack. If you lack Grass attacks (which is understandable, as Grass is an uncommon offensive type), Toxic is the way to go. Unless Quagsire has a cleric on his team, he'll succumb to to the poison. If you lack that... Try special attacks, as his Sp. Defense is weaker than his physical Defense. Draco Meteor is particularly effective against the Unaware variants. Watch out for specially defensive variants or Curse variants, though. Cursire can dish out a fair deal of damage once he's boosted up enough. Try to Phaze him if that's the case.

It should be noted that Ferrothorn is a very reliable Quagsire counter. It brushes off most of his attacks (unless, for some odd reason, Quagsire has HP Fire) and can OHKO easily with Power Whip.

Pre-Evolution Corner: Wooper can do everything Quagsire does, except in Little Cup. He is probably the best Unaware abuser in the tier, and he is very strong defensively with Eviolite. I'd highly recommend him for any Little Cup team.
    Last edited by ClefairyRox; 8th January 2012 at 4:39 PM.

Poor Quagsire became outclassed by Gastrodon, who is now sitting pretty in OU while Quagsire twiddles its fins in lower tiers.
    Quagsire's two advantages over its Water/Ground siblings are its abilities: Water Absorb and Unaware. Both supplement Quagsire fantastically well.
    In the RU tier, Quagsire's competition, Whiscash, is performing a non-offensive role, so Quaggy easily stands out.
    In UU, things are a bit trickier. Quagsire has to compete with Milotic, who welcomes status not named Toxic, Suicune, who has Calm Mind to cover Special attacks, Blastoise, thanks to the addition of Rain Dish, Slowbro, who got the awesome Regenerator ability, and Swampert, a fellow Water/Ground with superior stats for the job. Using Quaggy in UU means you have to use Unaware, which separates it from its competition.
    In OU, not only are the previously mentioned Pokemon making things difficult (except for maybe Blastoise), you have to deal with competition with Jellicent, Vaporeon, and most importantly, Gastrodon. Here, Unaware becomes more important than ever for the competition in the tier and for Quagsire itself to make it usable in the tier. OU brings an extra problem: Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn is the main reason Swampert fell to the UU tier and for good reason.
    Anyway, lets see what Quagsire can do.

Quaggy Curse
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP and Sp Defense, 4 Defense
    @: Leftovers

Curse
    Recover
    Earthquake
    Waterfall

This is a correction to Smogon's Quagsire set for Curse: Ice Punch and Unaware are illegal together. However, this set still works well in the RU tier where its Water/Ground competition is performing a Dragon Dance set (Whiscash).

Physical Wall
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP and defense, 4 Sp defense
    @: Leftovers

Recover
    Scald/Toxic
    Bulldoze/Earthquake
    Substitute/Toxic

My take on a physical defensive Quaggy. Recover is mandatory for obvious reasons. Scald spreads burns, but you can use Toxic in unison with Substitute to cripple stuff quicker. Scald is better. Bulldoze versus Earthquake seems weird, but using Bulldoze can turn speedy threats into slow stuff for your team to wipe out in an instant. If you don't like to do that, Earthquake will work just fine. Substitute works great with Recover and Scald/Toxic, but you can go with a double status by having Toxic to pair up with Scald as another option.

Other Options:
    Stockpile is great with Substitute, Scald, and Recover. The problem with Stockpile is the heavy amount of phazing thanks to the introduction of Circle Throw and Dragon Tail. If it doesn't worry you, Stockpile is a good move to have.
    Water Absorb is a fantastic ability that gives Quagsire an immunity. However, BW is dominated by stat boosters and Volbeat got Prankster, so ignoring those stat boosts is what separates Quagsire from the rest of the competition, making Unaware a superior choice.

Quagsire is a great Pokemon if you are, no pun intended, aware of Unaware. Unaware is what makes Quagsire a great Pokemon.

Well, that was significantly lengthier than I thought.
    I claim Buizel.

A good partner with Quagsire would definitely be Scizor, you could switch in on a Grass type move by .25 resisting it, and considering they can't do anything else to you, you hit them on the way out with an extra hard hitting Pursuit

Anti-Kyogre Ubersire
    Relaxed/Sassy @Leftovers 252HP 196sp.def 58 Def
    Trait: Water Absorb
    -Substitute/Toxic
    -Scald/Earthquake/Toxic
    -Ice Punch/Earthquake/Toxic
    -Recover
    Nambiri

OK saw the stats saw the typing saw the ability this thing can be an awesome physical sweeper wall
    it can wall things like with this set all the dragon dancers and sword dancers except grass types combine it with blissey and you got a pseudo skarmbliss
    so if your team have a weakness to set up physical sweepers use quagsmire

Gastordon of RU
    @leftovers
    EV: 252 HP, 252 defense, 4 Sp.defense
    nature: careful (+ sp.defenSe - sp.attack) edit: relaxed (- speed + sp.defense) as speed is useless
    Scald
    Recover
    Toxic
    Earthquake

Scald is JUST for the burn nothing else as a physical wall it need it, Recover is always awesome on a wall.
    Toxic... toxics when you are facing a wall
    Earthquake is for magneton and klinkklank

I don't calculate so I am not sure if it is effective with the given EVs
    note: yawn is a good option as it can make dangerous boosters to switch or make them set up fodders themselves
    note2: it f\got stone edge for the curse set it can deal better with switching grass types.. ferrothorn is a quagsmire's check nothing to do against it...
    Last edited by Ilan; 8th January 2012 at 6:57 PM.

Quagsire, with its many useful resistances and one (two with water absorb) immunities make it an amazing Switch forcer. A nice niche pivot on teams that abuse entry hazard.

Evry I make e'm shufflin
    Quagsire
    @Leftovers
    Ability:Water Absorb/Unaware
    Yawn/Haze
    Scald/Surf
    Recover
    Haze/Encore

If your team likes entry hazards and the opponents spinblockers are out of the picture (or were never in the picture to begin with), Quagsire can make great use of them as a status/shuffler, forcing multipule switches and keeping the opponent on their heels.

Yawn is the key of this set, once you've snet in Quaggy against something it can wall, or if your running water absorb, an incoming Scald. It forces a switch, or if your opponent is feeling ballzy enough, gives you a free turn to switch to a counter, or another spiker and set up more entry hazards. Be warned however of scald's burn chance, athough it can be useful, It can quickly turn the orignal derpfish into dead weight.

Other options for the final move are aplenty
    EQ, for the obligatory stab and a bit of a mixed attacking set to scare off the reeeealy frail sweepers who try to get rid of quagsire and set up afterward.
    Bulldoze is an interesting option that can give you another turn to recover, and gets the same coverage as EQ, but with much less power
    Encore rocks as well

wow, I might actually try using quaggy after this XD
    [IMG]http://i56.*******.com/epeveq.jpg[/IMG]
    Art By Me
    Color by Blue Harvest!!
    Animation using Flipnote Studio
    I haff claimed tangela. Nuff said.

Sweeper Stuffer / Sandstorm Counter

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef (Probably going to vary depending on the sweepers you expect to switch into)
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Haze / Waterfall
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake
    - Recover

Quagsire is truly the quagmire of all counters. Switch into a roid-raged Shell Smash, Swords Dance, or any other overused and abused stat boosted sweeper and stop them in their tracks with Unaware. Haze can pass the magic onto the rest of your team should Quagsire be low on health at this point or could be used to influence a switch if your opponent hasn't already done so, allowing you to set up your own sweeper. If not, you could always go with the waterfall for a damaging move. Being a ground-type, Quagsire gets the sandstorm boost and a STAB boost on Earthquake, which could be useful on your own sandstorm team or just for putting a stop to your buddy's heaven-piercing Excadrill. Toxic for constant damage on bulky waters and other non-steel-types and recover for health. The only issue is Skarmory, whose immunity to Toxic and Earthquake is really the only reason to swap out Haze for Waterfall.
    Last edited by bobguy117; 8th January 2012 at 8:47 PM.

Curse You Quagsire!

252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 SpDef, @ Leftovers Impish/Relaxed Nature

Curse
    Waterfall
    Earthquake/Ice Beam/Toxic
    Recover

This set is an absolute pain to deal with when it gets set up, waterfall and equake hit crazily hard after curse is spammed for a while, a real defensive monster it takes fighting types like there nothing Ice beam for the dragons and stuff like gliscor.

I’ve grown to love this derpy-faced mudfish. Someday I shall train one.

Quagsire has decent bulk for what it’s worth, and being Water-Ground type means it has only one weakness – Grass (although it’s a painful x4 weakness). Unaware is also an awesome ability to have for something designed to be bulky.

Unfortunately, the only offensive stat Quagsire can raise from “mediocre” to “useful” is its Attack (via Curse), and its physical movepool is rather depressing. Most of the choices are just flat out weak, and the selections become even narrower when considering an Unaware Quagsire. The few other remotely interesting moves like Aqua Tail, Headbutt, and even Ice Punch all come from Generation IV, which cannot be passed alongside Dream World abilities. This means that typically you’ll be stuck with Waterfall, Earthquake, and maybe even Stone Edge and Return as your best/strongest offensive choices.

Still, Quagsire works primarily as a bulky tank. It has access to Recover and even has the potential to raise its Defense and Special Defense. With Unaware under its belt, it can also provide an interesting form of support to your team.

Abilities:
    Damp – Explosion and Selfdestruct can’t be used on the field. Honestly though, how many Pokémon go around using these moves?

Water Absorb – Quagsire is immune to Water attacks and will heal when struck by one. Because of the half-Ground typing attached to Quagsire, it receives neutral damage to Water-type attacks, so an immunity is always nice. If you don’t have access to an Unware Quagsire, this is a nice ability to choose instead. Plus, it allows you to select from its Generation IV attacks.

Unaware – The best new thing to come out of Quagsire, Unaware temporarily negates your opponent’s stat changes as long as it’s is on the field. This can potentially ruin sweep and bulky setups and in turn adds to Quagsire’s overall bulk. This is the most preferred ability out of them all for Quaggy.

What stat changes?
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Def
    Nature: Sassy (+ Sp. Def, - Spd) / Careful (+ Sp. Def, - Spd)
    - Curse
    - Recover
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge/Waterfall

Raise your Attack and Defense with Curse. Because Quagsire is already pudgy-slow, the lowered Speed won’t matter. Recover keeps you healthy on top of Leftovers. Earthquake gets STAB. Stone Edge is recommended over Waterfall as it gives better coverage for Quaggy, but for Water STAB, Waterfall is the best way to go.

An attempt at being purely bulky – Unaware edition
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Def –OR-- 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Sp. Def
    Nature: Sassy (because Quagsire is naturally stronger in Defense)
    - Amnesia
    - Curse
    - Recover/Earthquake/Stone Edge/Waterfall
    - Recover/Earthquake/Stone Edge/Waterfall

A slight modification from the last set, this one tries to make Quagsire the bulkiest possible for the sake of doing so. It may not really be the most effective strategy for Quaggy in practice, but nonetheless, here’s how the gimmick works: Amnesia sharply boosts and patches up Quagsire’s lackluster Special Defense. Curse is the only way it can increase Defense. Recover and Leftovers restore health. To make sure you don’t become Taunt bait, Earthqake, Stone Edge, and Waterfall are all good attacking options paired with Curse.

An attempt at being purely bulky – Water Absorb edition
    EVs: (same as previous set)
    Nature: Sassy
    - Amnesia
    - Curse
    - Ice Punch
    - Recover/Earthquake/Aqua Tail

Quagsire also does just fine with Water Absorb. If paired with a Surfer in 2-v-2 battles, this guy will definitely have better walling opportunities. Amnesia and Curse raise its defenses. Ice Punch, a Generation IV only move, can be bred to a Water Absorb Quagsire to deal with the nasty Grass-types that may place it in a corner (and resist both of its STAB attacks otherwise). Recover and Leftovers give back health as usual. Earthquake and Aqua Tail get STAB. Aqua Tail is the strongest physical Water-type Quagsire has (but only from Generation IV, which is why it wasn’t listed in any other set).

Other Options:
    Haze is another way Quagsire can mess with opponents’ stat changes if it doesn’t have Unaware, but keep in mind that Haze resets everyone’s stat changes, not just the opponents’.
    Yawn can entice the opponent to force-switch.
    • Note that Quagsire’s Ground-typing makes it immune to Sandstorm.
    • Quagsire has an abysmal base 35 Speed, and it will only drop lower while using Curse. Therefore, Trick Room Support isn't a bad idea.
    Toxic can inflict massive damage through poison over time on opponents.

Partners:
    The two biggest issues for Quagsire is its x4 weakness to Grass and a lack of sloughing off status conditions. In the most generic terms, a Fire- or Flying-type Pokémon will rid of the Grass nemesis. Someone with say Aromatherapy can cure any major status issue.

Spoiler:- Attacks Index:
    I'm thinking about creating a printer-friendly Pokédex guidebook for Black and White versions. Let me know what you think about it here.

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Amnesia
    - Waterfall
    - Curse
    - Rest

With amnesia and curse, you quickly become almost impervious to any non-grass type attack. Curse also boosts the attack at the same time, enabling you to actually hit other pokemon back back. Waterfall is the sole attacking move, which means this set is totally walled by any pokemon with Water absorb or Kingdra. Rest provides a recovery move and gets rid of the threat of the deadly poison status. Usually, both defenses are boosted enough to survive the two turns while asleep. Additionally, the opponent can not take advantage of these turns to boost their stats due to Quagsire's ability in Unaware.

LF: Flawless or near-flawless calm Heatran (shiny is a bonus)
    If you have one please PM/VM me!

Spoiler:- Credits & Battle info:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast