Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #54

Quagsire... I would prefer Wooper (one of my all time favorite pokemon). I just love the way it looks and it's goofy and oblivious nature. (In a funny way not like the Slowpoke,king,bro trio).

Anyway... This would have been a very bulky pokemon if some stat investment have been made... But still it is pretty good!

Major let down is it's stats... But who cares, it has very good abilities, good enough movepool and only one weakness to grass.

It's easy choosing it's ability... Damp is not to consider as explosion is rarely seen nowadays. So If you have a quagsire make sure it has the Water absorb ability. If you don't have a Quagsire, go to the dream world and catch an Unaware one.

Speaking about physical offence, it's usable moves are low... It doesn't have anything besides Earthquake, waterfall and Dive that are stabbed. It's other decent options include Return, Brick break, Stone edge and rock slide. (It's 4th generation had more options with Ice punch, Focus punch, and Aqua tail).

It has also decent disruptive, supporting, statusing moves...

This is my Quagsire's set!
    Quagsire@leftovers
    Ability: Water absorb / Unaware
    Nature: Relaxed / Impish
    EVS: 252 DEF/ 252 ATT/ 4 HP
    Moveset:
    -Earthquake
    -Waterfall / Stone edge
    -Recover
    -Yawn
    Easy set to take advantage from your bulk... Earthquake and Waterfall are your main Stabbed moves... Recover is for healing and yawn is to force switching! Stone edge is if you want more coverage but all in all waterfall is stronger (Considering STAB) and more accurate.

Quagsire@leftovers
    Ability: Water absorb
    Same as above.
    Moveset:
    -Earthquake / Waterfall
    -Yawn / Amnesia
    -Encore / Recover
    -Haze
    Gimmick set but might work. Choose earthquake or waterfall so you won't be taunt bait. Yawn forces switches and abuse entry hazards but Amnesia raises your special defense. The main focus of this set is Encore/Haze... Destroy opponents that choose to set up on you... when they set up encore the move until it's useless... Haze is for baton passers or to play with your opponent's mind hazing when they think you encored the wrong set up like Curse or Barrier that makes the opponent's DEF stat go up! Recover is there if you didn't breed your Quagsire for encore. It is always handy. On this set you should not have unaware as ability so your opponent can set up!

Quagsire is best under trick room it will outrun nearly everything that isn't using priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
    Actually, it is, it's just illegal with Curse. Wooper can have Aqua Tail as a Dream World move.
    Oops. Didn't see that. Yeah Aqua Tail is legal with Unnerve, but not Curse. Flat-out Physical Quagsire seems a lot less appealing now...

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Everyone pretty much covered the important sets. So I'll just summarize:

Quagsire will almost never run Water Absorb now unless the team as a whole has a severe problem with Water. Combined with Unaware, Curse/Stockpile, and Recover, it is very hard to eliminate Quagsire without suffering setbacks in return.

Scald is actually not common for Quagsire, who much more often employ Toxic. If not using Toxic, then Quagsire is going for the Curse offensive set.

Other than that, a curious set could utilize the new Acid Spray move, in conjuction with perhaps Scald, Earth Power, and Ice Beam. I don't exactly recommend this, though.

Overall, compared to Gastrodon, Quagsire is more Physically oriented and Gastrodon is more Special. Quagsire, in comparison, is also more defensive than Gastrodon move-wise, with support options such as Encore.

With Water Absorb, Quagsire is also quite effective in Ubers:
    Encore, Toxic, Ice Punch, Recover

Ferrothorn is definitely enemy #1. Even if Scald is in usage, you want some way to murder that thing. A defensive Volcarona can actually work in this manner. Volcarona takes Grass hits easily, and Quagsire can absorb Rock hits and Water if needed. Volcarona can also utilize WOW to get over Quagsire not using Scald.
    Dragons can also pose a problem too; Hydreigon's Draco Meteor, for instance, can instantly demolish Quagsire, assuming no Stockpile boosts. That is why a Steel-Type of your own coalition could also be beneficial.

As far is Wooper is involved, I wouldn't ever use it outside of Little Cup. Marshtomp doesn't even have Recover and I'd sooner use that if tiering is an issue.

Finally, a viable pre-evo in LC, where there's not that many Grass moves, except for Lileep's Energy Ball in LC OU.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

So, Quagsire... An acceptable bulk and a usable Attack stat. Terrible BST, but its typing gives it only one weakness, which is pretty good.

Abilities:
    Damp: It's okay...but highly situational. Besides, with Explosion and Selfdestruct getting nerfed, this ability has found even less use.
    Water Absorb: In singles, I guess it could be used to get a free switch in to a water type move...It's much better in doubles, where you can abuse it with Surf.
    Unaware: Quagsire's best ability. Stops you from getting walled or sweeped. Really devastating against a Belly Drummer.

Powerful Attack + Free Confusion + Recover = Offensive Tank?

- Waterfall
    - Earthquake
    - Swagger
    - Recover
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
    Ability: Unaware
    EVs and Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk); 252 Atk/108 Def/148 SpDef

Earthquake for incredibly powerful STAB. Waterfall for powerful STAB that will not hurt a non-flying/levitating partner. Leftovers combined with Recover makes you annoying to kill. Life Orb makes you easier to kill, but with only 85 base Attack, it wouldn't hurt to give an extra boost. Unaware lets you abuse Swagger, so you can put more EVs into that small base 65 Special Defense stat.

Quagsire, Destroyer of Grass types!...That aren't Ferrothorn...

- Surf/Scald
    - Mud Bomb/Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb
    - Acid Spray
    - Recover
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs and Nature: Modest (+SpAtk, -Atk); 108 Def/252 SpAtk/148 SpDef

Like the previous set, but with a slightly different core move. Surf (higher base power, attacks everything else in doubles) or Scald (lower base power, but chance to burn), take your pick. Mud Bomb is there for STAB and the chance to lower accuracy, Sludge Wave is for type coverage against Grass, and Sludge Bomb is similar, except it has lower base power but won't hit your partner in doubles. Recover and the items are there for the same reasons. Acid Spray is the main attraction. 100 base accuracy, does some damage, and cuts foe's Special Defense in half. It's really the only reason Quagsire's Special set is even considered (well that and the whole anti-grass capability, but unfortunately, this also makes Unaware unusable.

Above-Average Toxic Set

- Toxic
    - Protect
    - Dig
    - Recover
    Item: Leftovers
    EVs and Nature: Careful (+SpDef, -SpAtk); 4 HP/252 Def/252 SpDef

Like the title implies, its a better than average Toxic set. Protect is a must on any Toxic set. Recover lets you last even longer. Dig not only prevents you from having to switch from Taunt, but also helps stall for one turn. Leftovers has good synergy with Recover. Unaware also means no matter how many Swords Dances or Nasty Plots your foe has done, it won't make a difference.

Other Options

Focus Blast could help you kill Ferrothorn. I didn't mention it because of its risky accuracy.
    Sandstorm isn't too bad of an idea to slowly damage your enemies and increase Quagsire's Special Defense.
    Amnesia is your best way to increase Special Defense.
    Substitute is never a bad choice for a bulky Pokemon like Quagsire. Gives you time to boost your own stats.
    Ancientpower has a small chance of boosting all your stats. If you do get it, go nuts.
    Counter can really have devastating effects if you time it right. Just remember to give more HP EVs and less Defense EVs if you want to use it.
    Curse will increase your Attack and Defense and lower your already hopeless speed. Not bad.
    Encore gives you the chance to lock your opponent on a useless move. If you lock them on a stat boosting move, Unaware will make all those boosts pointless.
    Aqua Tail is a strong physical Water type move. However, you can only get it in 4th gen, meaning you can't have Unaware with it.
    Earth Power is an excellent special Ground type move. Too bad it's only in 4th gen.

Double and Triple Battle Options

If Quagsire has Water Absorb, anything with Surf. Also, something flying or levitating lets Quagsire use Earthquake.

Partners

Another bulky Water type who uses Surf and Water Absorb will create a chain of healing. Vaporeon and Lapras are good examples.

Countering Quagsire

Ferrothorn, obviously. Just watch out for Focus Blast. But really, any Grass type that utilizes its Special Attack stat will massacre a Quagsire without Amnesia and out of Sandstorm. Bulky Waters can also handle Quagsire well. Although, anything bulky that isn't weak to either of Quagsire's STABs can take it on easily enough. Skarmory, who is immune to Ground type moves and Toxic is untouchable by Quagsire, does the job well.

I always use this in UU to stop Physicall Sweepers

Quagsire @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
    Trait: Unaware
    Relaxed Nature
    - Scald
    - Earthquake or Ice Punch
    - Toxic or Yawn
    - Recover

Do people use Defense Curl Blissey? No?

Well then none of you should be using Stockpile Quagsire.

If you use the ever classy Curse set, you can easily set up and stall out many bulky pokemon...including skarmory and jellicent (unless they carry toxic)

Personal Quagmire
    ----------------------------
    Unaware + Leftovers
    Careful + 252HP/252Sp.D/4Sp
    -Curse
    -Recover
    -Earthquake
    -Waterfall

Easily PP stalls skarmory's Brave Birds, and can break thru Jellicent after accumulating enough boosts for Earthquake

Just a question. Are we alowed to post sets for pre-evos of the pokemon or not?

Ice Punch + Wooper...my ultimate wtf moment...the best part is how effective it is trololololololol

Quote Originally Posted by ilex222 View Post
    whats boil over?do you mean scald?
    Yes, boil over is scald.

Damp: It's useless.
    Water Absorb: Good as it recovers HP from water type moves. Basically counters Kyogre
    Hidden Ability (Available):
    Unaware: Woah!!!! One of my favorite ability!!! Ignores stat boost. Swords Dance Gallade, Belly Drum Clefable, Nasty Plot Mismagus.

Set:

I'll Curse You!
    Water Absorb / Unaware
    @Left-overs / Life Orb
    Brave [ 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 HP]
    - Curse
    - Recover
    - Stone Edge / Waterfall
    - Earthquake / Ice Punch

Curse boost your offense and bulk. Recover for recovering HP. Stone Edge, Waterfall and Earthquake for offenses that can run with Unaware while ICe Punch is another offense move that is only good with Water Absorb.

Wall
    @Left-overs
    Unaware
    Relaxed [ 252 HP / 196 Def / 58 SpDef]
    - Recover
    - Toxic / Yawn
    - Encore / Earthquake
    - Substitute

Recover for more substitutes. Toxic and Yawn for status support. Encore ruins water type users while Earthquake prevent being taunt bait.

Instead of Earthquake/Waterfall for a move combo, I tend to prefer Waterfall and Body Slam. That way you can get reeeeeeeeeally nice parahax and have near-perfect Normal/Water coverage. Coupled with Curse, and Recover, and Quagsire becomes absolutely amazing.

Dealing with Unaware isn't going to be through beefing up your stats, that's for sure. The biggest way to deal with Unaware is getting rid of it via Skill Swap. Short of that, use Gastro Acid or Worry Seed, but NOT Simple Beam for fear of Quag's Curse.

Unaware is also a counter to itself when Quag' decides to Curse-boost. However, finding Unaware outside of Quag' is limited to Swoobat, DW 'fable, and Bibarel. That said, Role Play or Skill Swap will hobble Quag', but not destroy it. It does give Venomoth, 'zam, non-DW Xatu, and several others a better Ability to wreck Quag's allies.

However, Skill Swap is also a great way to protect Quag' in Doubles/Triples. Sap Sipper Girafarig with Skill Swap helps Quag' get over its hastenburaphobia in a hurry. If you don't know what that is, look it up.

How you use quagsire depends on what tier you're in. For uh I'd recommend a balanced attack defense set running curse, recover, earthquake, and waterfall. Quagsire is slow anyway and curse won't hurt you there. Earthquake and waterfall to take advantage of the attack boost from curse and finally recover to stay alive longer. I'd run unaware on this set as most uh sweepers set up boosts beforehand.

In ou the same move set is valid but toxic is a good option for stalling which quagsire can do fairly well. If you take out waterfall you are only walled by skarmory and air balloon steels or poisons. As for the ability, unaware is useful for bypassing dual screens but as it is not the best attacker it wouldn't help too much. What I've doing is that if you run water absorb you become a complete wall to rotom-w. this leaves you open to boosted attacks but with the popularity of rotom-w this could prove very useful
    Join the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League!
    Take a look at our guide to getting started and begin battling today!

PASBL: TL 5
    Rock Gym Leader

For the longest time I wouldn't even consider Quagsire just because of it's looks. Then HG/SS came out and I had to fill a hole on my team and wooper fit. Learned Real fast that Quagsire is an awesome pokemon.

Yawn
    Ice Punch
    Waterfall
    Earthquake
    My Favorite Pokemon
    Zangoose --- Moonlight_Tails --- November 22nd, 2013

item:leftovers
    ability: unaware
    Nature +SD-A
    EV: HP252 D100 SD158
    protect
    toxic
    recover
    waterfall

just wear out your opponent...protect every other turn
    White2 FC: 1077 7567 6538
    White1 FC: 1507 2540 5128
    Always looking for events!
    I currently live in Taiwan(GMT+8)

Quote Originally Posted by henryshen11 View Post
    item:leftovers
    ability: unaware
    Nature +SD-A
    EV: HP252 D100 SD158
    protect
    toxic
    recover
    waterfall

just wear out your opponent...protect every other turn
    Dry Skin Toxicroak laughs in that set's face (immune to Toxic, absorbs Waterfall). If you need Toxic to deal stall-damage with Quag', you're doing something wrong. Stall-damaging will just get you KO'd quickly. Replace Protect or Recover with EQ.

Which brings up a new point. Quag's biggest and only true counter is the person using it. If they don't know what they're doing, Quag' has already failed. A Quag' user needs to realize what they can and cannot handle. Grass Type offense is one thing Quag' cannot handle. Immunity to its Moveset is another. Giving Quag' a stall-war set is a fatalistic idea.

Wallsire
    Careful or Sassy nature
    Trait: Unaware
    Item: Leftovers
    EVs: 252 Hp/88 Def/168 Sp Def
    -Curse
    -Amnesia
    -Recover
    -Waterfall/Earthquake/Stone Edge

Careful or sassy nature to raise special defense and lower one stat you don't need too much (either special attack or speed). Curse and Amnesia to raise your defenses. Curse also to raise your attack so you can hit back hard. Recover to heal if you take too much damage. Finally waterfall or earthquake for a STAB move and to prevent struggling from taunt. Stone edge as another option to not be walled so much by a water absorber or dry skin toxicroak
    Last edited by rovert; 11th January 2012 at 1:28 AM.

Latest Shiny: Gible (MMing on Y - After 1637 Eggs!)

Other options... As always, I'm late. And I missed Mandibuzz...

Bulldoze is a supportive move that can help sweepers be a little faster. An interesting combonation is to use this and a Pokemon with the Ability Contrary together in a double battle.
    Muddy water should belong to only Swampert, but hey, it's there.
    The Sludge Wave or Bomb. Dance or Exterminate. (Doctor who joke)
    Counter works well, especially with Unaware... Hehe. Another pun.
    Body slam. I think just about anything that can learn that has it as an option. Especially Serene grace pokes.
    Haze to make someone fazed... Ok, I'm done with the puns. Wait-
    Acid spay IN YOUR FACE! Could be another help, considering its STABs handle steels and poisons.
    Focus punch. Yes. If you like those, go make one. 'Tis interesting twist.
    Apparently, I can't claim Larvesta. But who cares?
    It's still the cutest bug eva!

I am The Grovyle, that friend in a high place.

The craziest battle I ever had- Toxic spikes supported baton passing team, with a Splashing Wailord. And won. You have to try it!

QUAGSIRE currently my fave pokemon saved me from a doubles loss and took out 5 pokes all with little help PLUS DAT FACE ^__^. So here is the set i use (i know the EV's are a little funny)

Boost on me - IF YOU DARE!
    Ability: UNAWARE
    Careful nature
    EV's 252 Sp def 252 HP 6 def or attack
    Item: Lefties
    Moveset:
    Curse
    Recover
    Waterfall
    Earthquake.

Straight forward set plus unaware ruins boosters... Curse is your own booster recover heals you after the booting. With a little lefties help that is
    the those 2 great stab moves all make for one fun cute faced fish-thing
    Moveset extrordanaire just ask if you want assistance
    Owner of the CK general chat channel on Purplesurge leave me a post if ya want info :-)

FINALLY GOT A CLAIM...
    All Munchlax are mine!

Munch Munch Munch Munch Munch Munch Munch Munch...

This thing's two largest banes are toxic and grass moves. Therefore, I think a good partner could be Blissy. It can come in on most grass moves, as the majority will be from Venasaur and other special attackers. After that, it can also heal of quagsire's poisoning with aromatheropy or heal bell.

I also like the idea of specs draco meteor against that thing, as it won't mind the special attack drops thank's to quagsire's ability.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Magnemite used Sonic Boom! Magnemite glitched through the wall! It's super effective! Lyric fainted!

First of all i would like to thank reno for putting a donkey kong country level as a set name. VULTURE CULTURE IS AMAZING
    PLAY DONKEY KONG COUNTRY

Secondly, (for not spamming purposes) quagsire is an amazing pokemon that is essentially gastrodon only used less for unknown reasons when using water absorb. Its ability is unaware which is an ability that some players underestimate. This ability allows it to (with the right set depending on the pokemon) counter boosting sweepers such as volcarona, dragonite, and scizor.

STAB/WALL
    Quagsire@ Leftovers
    252Def/252HP/4SpDef
    Relaxed Nature
    ~Scald
    ~Earthquake
    ~Recover
    ~Toxic

This is probably one of the best walls as far as lower tiers go. You got two excellent STAB moves in Earthquake and Scald, while Scald has a chance to burn you're opponent. But you can also badly poison it with Toxic. Recover is Quagsire's form of recovery. Besides Toxic and maybe EQ, Quagsire is destroyed by Grass types. Sap Sipper Milktank is a good partner, adding the bulk of you're team and protecting Quag from deadly Grass Attacks.
    Generic Signature

Quote Originally Posted by D-Knight View Post
    First of all i would like to thank reno for putting a donkey kong country level as a set name. VULTURE CULTURE IS AMAZING
    PLAY DONKEY KONG COUNTRY
    I agree with this point
    And on the point of quagsire being less used that gastrodon. yes thats true because gastro got put up a tier. I hope quag goes up at some point because with unaware it really does weill up there even against dem Conk's
    Moveset extrordanaire just ask if you want assistance
    Owner of the CK general chat channel on Purplesurge leave me a post if ya want info :-)

FINALLY GOT A CLAIM...
    All Munchlax are mine!

Munch Munch Munch Munch Munch Munch Munch Munch...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast