Thread: What I never got about Serena

Default What I never got about Serena

What the main purpose of Serena doing showcases just to make her a coordinator in the final result? I get they didn't want another Dawn or May clone but what was the purpose of showcases? Did they realize fans hated the goal and thought it was boring?

Serena wanted to expand her horizons, but it needs to be made clear that shes not switching goals, shes merely expanding her repitore to become a better performer by trying out contest because yes their very similar.

Showcases may have rock bottom fan approval here in the west but I wouldnt be surprd if it was more welcomed in japan

Quote Originally Posted by AshxSatoshi View Post
    What the main purpose of Serena doing showcases just to make her a coordinator in the final result? I get they didn't want another Dawn or May clone but what was the purpose of showcases? Did they realize fans hated the goal and thought it was boring?
    I encourage anyone who knows differently/ better to correct me if I'm wrong here, but...

It seems that Serena was written into the series with the sole purpose of wetting the appetites of the sorts of people who like "shipping" (aka not me). This left her as a pretty shallow, one-dimensional, ill thought out character, who obviously needed to be more than just Ash's next squeeze.

They then gave her what was, frankly, a pretty uninteresting goal, which was so similar to Pokemon Contests that it may as well have been Contests anyway, only to turn her into a Coordinator for her exit storyline in the end.

I feel that with better planning she could've been a great character, but unfortunately, for me, she's destined to lie for eternity on the "unmemorable travelling companions" pile with Max, Iris, Cilan, Clemont and Bonnie.
    Having traveled through the Kanto (x2), Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos regions, plus the Orange & Decolore Islands, competing in six regional Pokémon League competitions, winning the Orange League, defeating the Kanto Battle Frontier, seeing/ meeting each of the rare and powerful Legendary/ Mythical Pokémon, some on numerous occasions, and continually fighting vigilantly against six villainous teams, Ash has apparently now decided to go to school.

Please use the XY review thread in the Episode Discussions subforum. Getting really tired of all these micro discussions about a series that's already over taking up space in the main forums.

Run for your lives.

tumblr - livejournal

Note: Please only reply to infraction PMs if you 1) have follow-up questions, or 2) seriously intend to contest the infraction, instead of merely complaining about or making fun of it, providing no elaborate counterarguments whatsoever. While I appreciate apologies or promises that "it won't happen again" and the like, they too fulfill no purpose except for cluttering up my inbox. An honest effort to avoid further rule-breaking is worth much more than a one-line PM saying you're sorry anyway. Thanks!