Thread: Buying Pokemon [R4] DVDs (Digipak)

Default Pokemon DVDs [Region4] (Digipak) - Re-release with Jynx episodes missing!

First of all, apologies if this isn't the right area of the forum to post this. Please move if not.

So, i recently just purchased Pokemon Season 2 'Digipak' region 4 DVD set and will probably start buying the other seasons soon. Got this from Beyond Home Ent website (BHE).

I'm wondering if anyone has bought them at at any stage (obviously doesn't have to be from the actual BHE site - could be bought from JB Hi-FI as well) or just recently like myself? And if so, is anyone else's Season 2 copy missing the three banned Jynx eps (Holiday Hi-Jynx, Stage Fight! and Mandarin Miss Match)? It seems contrary to what I've read in many places, it seems they are not on this set either (much like the re-releases of the ' Slimlines' packaging), despite what it says on the episode listing inside on the actual set itself which says they are on it. I was so hoping they were on this as that's the major reason I was buying it. Very disappointed by this as you could imagine. Any response is much appreciated! I'm completely at a loss as to why they're not on my set. Thanks.
    Last edited by PokeMonsters13; 4th September 2016 at 12:14 PM.

Going by the Bulbapedia website wiki (seems to get updated regularly from what I see), those banned episodes should indeed be on the 'Digipak' and 'Super Wallets' (though the Wallets have been out of print for ages) but not on the later re-releases (which is why I avoided them in the first place). Unless for some reason they have been removed off this set like the others?? Any help would be great!

If you bought the Digipak recently then you've likely got the reissue of the digipak (looks the same as the original version aswell which causes confusion) which was released recently meaning the episodes will not be there.

The Digipak you want that looks like that is the earlier version which was discontinued when the slimline ones came out. You'd have to get the digipak second hand I'm afraid if you can work out which is new and which is old. I have an early version of it with the episodes.

Yeah I know it's confusing. I had a feeling this was going to happen the moment they announced the rerelease of those digipaks.
    Last edited by The Power of Pika; 26th August 2016 at 8:59 AM.

Put together by me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Power of Pika View Post
    If you bought the Digipak recently then you've likely got the reissue of the digipak (looks the same as the original version aswell which causes confusion) which was released recently meaning the episodes will not be there.

The Digipak you want that looks like that is the earlier version which was discontinued when the slimline ones came out. You'd have to get the digipak second hand I'm afraid if you can work out which is new and which is old. I have an early version of it with the episodes.

Yeah I know it's confusing. I had a feeling this was going to happen the moment they announced the rerelease of those digipaks.
    Thanks for your reply, mate.

Well, that's bloody deceiving to a fan and collector isn't?! I've paid around $40 for this FFS. There's absolutely no indication whatsoever on the packaging as it still apparently has the 52eps included with the original run time of 1144min (19hrs). Plus on the JB website it has the same model number and release date of 2010. To discover they're missing you actually buy the set and then play the discs (as I said, they're still listed on the episode guide and all!) and then feel totally ripped off. At the very least Beyond Home Entertainment (formerly Magna Home Ent.) should make mention of this or remove any trace of them.

Watching a YouTube video of someone doing an unboxing for season 2, I've just discovered that disc 2 (which should have 'Holiday Hi-Jynx') should have a Jynx on it but mine has a Shellder on it instead... funny thing is the DVD menu itself still features a Jynx and it's also on the the boxset. But on disc 5 and 6 the featured Pokemon are the same, just with the eps missing. This is utterly ridiculous.

Do you know of anywhere I could find the original release version? Although, it might be easier to find and just get the 'Super Wallet' release as distinguishing between the old and new 'Digipaks' would likely be extremely hard.
    Bloody hell, how ridiculous is this to have to buy another set for just three discs with 3 banned episode among them.

Again, thank you for the info. Pity I didn't know about this before I got the Season 2 set. Feeling so cheated at the moment.

Edit: On a side note, BHE certainly makes it really difficult to pick the right boxset with so many releases and re-releases over the past few years. Though they must sell well otherwise they wouldn't keep issuing the releases in different packagings.
    Last edited by PokeMonsters13; 26th August 2016 at 7:12 PM.

Ebay would probably be the only place I can think of but unfortunately the new versions up there aswell............
    Second hand boxsets have more of a chance of having them.

Sounds like they were lazy and decided to just print out the same cover.

Yeah it's definitely selling well. BHE is well known for cancelling and even abandoning franchises if they sell badly. If they rerelease it over and over that usually a sign of good sales.

As annoying as they can be sometimes. I'm thankful they're even releasing it. I remember before they took over. No one wanted to touch pokemon with a 10 foot poll after siren dropped it. It was impossible to get Pokemon episodes on DVD in Australia for a while.

Anyway there is also the kanto and orange islands big collectors book set that's very hard to get aswell that has the episodes however getting a book that doesn't have damaged discs is hit and miss. The company was silly enough to put the discs in with the glue that held the book together in the first releases. Later sets like Sinnoh etc. had a plastic bags to protect the discs.
    I have the Kanto and orange islands collectors book aswell and have been meaning to get rid of it. Some discs work and some discs don't. Can't really sell it due to the damaged discs.^-^;;;;

I know what you mean. It would be great if Beyond actually made it clearer.

Put together by me.

The missing episodes are actually included on the Pokemon slimline DVD releases (with Pokemon faces), unless they have been updated. I own the slimline DVD releases of the first three seasons, which were bought when they were first released.

I would recommend staying away from the older digipaks, the discs were difficult to remove and the package tends to falls apart over time, due to glue wearing off.

Quote Originally Posted by The Power of Pika View Post
    Ebay would probably be the only place I can think of but unfortunately the new versions up there aswell............
    Second hand boxsets have more of a chance of having them.

Sounds like they were lazy and decided to just print out the same cover.

Yeah it's definitely selling well. BHE is well known for cancelling and even abandoning franchises if they sell badly. If they rerelease it over and over that usually a sign of good sales.

As annoying as they can be sometimes. I'm thankful they're even releasing it. I remember before they took over. No one wanted to touch pokemon with a 10 foot poll after siren dropped it. It was impossible to get Pokemon episodes on DVD in Australia for a while.

Anyway there is also the kanto and orange islands big collectors book set that's very hard to get aswell that has the episodes however getting a book that doesn't have damaged discs is hit and miss. The company was silly enough to put the discs in with the glue that held the book together in the first releases. Later sets like Sinnoh etc. had a plastic bags to protect the discs.
    I have the Kanto and orange islands collectors book aswell and have been meaning to get rid of it. Some discs work and some discs don't. Can't really sell it due to the damaged discs.^-^;;;;

I know what you mean. It would be great if Beyond actually made it clearer.
    Thanks. I was thinking of searching either eBay or Amazon to see if any are around still. As I said, getting the season 2 dvd set on the 'super wallets' might be a safe bet as finding the correct 'digipak' becomes really difficult now. :/

Yeah, I'm grateful some company like Beyond are releasing the complete seasons and some of the movies so far after Siren dropped out releasing them. Just annoying that Beyond continue releasing the same seasons over and again in different forms of packaging with some containing all the eps featuring Jynx on the season 2 set and others not containing them at all due to the banning.

That's the main reason I didn't bother with the season DVDs book release as to what you've describe of the discs being destroyed which I've read on many occasions from people who've got them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirben View Post
    The missing episodes are actually included on the Pokemon slimline DVD releases (with Pokemon faces), unless they have been updated. I own the slimline DVD releases of the first three seasons, which were bought when they were first released.

I would recommend staying away from the older digipaks, the discs were difficult to remove and the package tends to falls apart over time, due to glue wearing off.
    I've read in other places that the 'slims' don't have the banned eps..? Unless they've re-released numerous sets of this also?

Yeah, the discs can be hard to remove on the 'digipaks' but I perfer the packagings of this which have the characters on it over the slimline release.
    Last edited by PokeMonsters13; 4th September 2016 at 7:57 PM.

PIKA PIKA!

Seems someone has updated the Bulbapedia Pokemon season 2 DVD region 4 wiki guide page to what has been reported on here. And still according to this the 'slimline' release doesn't include those Jynx episodes either.
    Last edited by PokeMonsters13; 6th September 2016 at 7:11 PM.

PIKA PIKA!