Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Community POTW #55

Quote Originally Posted by PhilosophicalPsychologica View Post
    Oh, BTW, Stealth Rock damage is calculated based on Castform's new typing.
    Castform should take Stealth Rock damage based off his old normal typing, THEN transform into his new form.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    As much as I like your creative thinking, can't they just swap out and use those moves later? I know gengar was successful, but it had common immunities and higher speed, and it would only remove those weaknesses for itself, and not teammates.
    That's why I said on a team with lots of set up sweepers or things that like the opponent to switch. Seeing as it's weather, Castform will share it's type with alot of the team.

Idk if it's good though.

Quote Originally Posted by grantholomew View Post
    This all proves that no Pokémon is completely useless. That's why we should say good things about each week's Pokémon. Every one has strong points and weak points. We shouldn't spend a week when we get a "bad" Pokémon trashing it, we should focus on its good qualities. Castform, like just about all other Pokémon, can be good or bad, it just depends on what Pokémon your opponent is using, and your effort on Castform's part.
    Unless its unown, but thats beside the point.

Castform is not too viable on a single weather team, because of heatran, starmie, and rotom-f to use for monotype special weather sweepers, with better move pools, and stats.

However, castform can work on a mixed weather team, with multiple weather starters, letting it work with weather ball to work with whatever weather is up.

I HAVE CLAIMED GULPIN!

Sun Castform
    Heat Rock
    Forecast
    Modest +SpAtk/-Atk, Timid +Spd/-Atk
    252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

Sunny Day
    Solarbeam
    Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    Work Up

Sunny Day and Solarbeam is obvious. Not only that but Grass moves cover all of the weaknesses of Fire-types as long as they don't have a second type with resistance. Flamethrower for Accuracy and Fire Blast for Power. Work Up increases power.

Rain Castform
    Damp Rock
    Forecast
    252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

Rain Dance
    Thunder
    Scald/Hydro Pump
    Ice Beam/Hidden Power (Ground)

Thunder and Rain Dance are an obvious combo. Then Scald for Accuracy and Hydro Pump for Power. Ice Beam and Hidden Power (Ground) covers your weaknesses as long as they don't have a second type that's resistant. Hidden Power covers a lot more though. But I believe Ice Beam has more power, I think. Plus, it's super effective against ground types.

Hail Castform
    Icy Rock
    Forecast
    252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

Hail
    Blizzard
    Hidden Power (Ground)/Hidden Power (Flying)/Future Sight
    Work Up

Hail+Blizzard is so obvious. Hail Castform is weak against one of the most common types in the metagame: Fighting. Especially with Gen V and all of the new amazing Fighting Types so Hidden Power (Flying) is useful. Hidden Power (Ground) covers a lot more of Castform's weaknesses. as well as a few two other types. Future Sight provides coverage for Fighting types. Work Up makes you stronger.

Sandstorm Castform
    Smooth Rock
    Forecast
    Calm +Def/-Atk, Bold +Def/-Atk
    252 HP, 252 SpAtk, 4 SpDef/252 HP, 252 SpAtk, 4Def

Sandstorm
    Scald/Flamethrower/Energy Ball/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power [Psychic]/Hidden Power [Flying]
    Scald/Flamethrower/Energy Ball/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power [Psychic]/Hidden Power [Flying]
    Thunder Wave/Toxic

I think Nintendo should make a sand Castform. Sadly, there isn't so it will get hurt and there is no other way to change it's type so it isn't hurt by sandstorm. Oh well. Sandstorm Castform does provide support whether it be coverage from weaknesses or status moves that could free up other Pokemon's moves that be used for much needed attacks for other Pokemon on your team.

No Weather
    Silk Scarf
    Forecast
    Adamant +Atk/-SpAtk
    252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

Swagger
    Psych Up
    Double Edge/Body Slam/Retaliate/Secret Power
    Double Edge/Body Slam/Retaliate/Secret Power

Swagger and Psych Up increases your attack power and your opponent's. As long as they're supposed to be a special Pokemon, no harm done. Double Edge is super powerful. Body Slam can cause paralysis and doesn't have recoil but isn't as strong. Retaliate is good if you don't start off with Castform. Secret Power is good since it may cause sleep.

Other Options
    Secret Power-Since most battles with Castform will be in the Union Room or the Wi-fi Room, meaning inside a building, it has a chance of putting the Pokemon to sleep. It also gets STAB if there isn't weather so it has a base power of 105.

Tailwind-Castform isn't that fast so Tailwind is helpful. It'll raise it's speed, it'll stil lbe outrun by most Pokemon, but it is useful for support as well.

Hex-Castform can inflict all of the status conditions except for Curse if you count the other three that can be inflicted along with other statuses

Weather Ball-An obvious choice for Castform.

Attract-May make the oppoennt miss a turn allowing you a few extra moves.

Water Pulse-Can cause confusion. Allows you a few extra moves maybe and your opponent takes more damage.

Swagger-Same as Water Pulse with the added effect of making your opponent take more damage when they hit themself and it can raise a completely useless stat for the opponent.

Disable-Prevents the opponent from using a move that may be super effective to your team.

Substitute-Creates a substitute and protects you from an attack.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilosophicalPsychologica View Post
    ...lol
    Uh, I actually recommend Choice Scarf is the only Item of choice...ever...for Castform. Without the capability to outspeed stuff, Castform will never live long - it must rely on its crazy STAB capability and type advantages to deal the damage it needs. Specs with heavy, heavy Paralysis support is also effective.

I don't recommend any support options of any kind on Castform, except perhaps Thunder Wave. Obviously, Castform is used on a weather team to supply it power. It is heavily reliant on what appears to be the most gargantuan movepool of almost all Normal Pokemon. Usually, such a set is Special-based only. This allows Castform to be a Fire-Type Pokemon on a Sun team with a crazy movepool, etc. This movepool only got improved with the introduction of Hydro Pump, Scald, Clear Smog, Tailwind, etc.

Oh, BTW, Stealth Rock damage is calculated based on Castform's new typing.
    Blissey says hi.

(this counts half-viable movepool)
    Castform: Weather Ball, Blizzard, Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Hydro Pump, Scald, Clear Smog, Tailwind, Protect, Flamethrower, SolarBeam, Rain Dance, Hail, Sunny Day, Sandstorm, Energy Ball, Ice Beam

Blissey: Too many options to count, but.. Heal Bell, Thunder Wave, Aromatherapy, Seismic Toss, Wish, Softboiled, Protect, Toxic, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, Calm Mind, SolarBeam, Ice Beam, Thunder, Thunderbolt, Blizzard, Stealth Rock, Heal Pulse (in multis, obv.), Charge Beam, Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Sandstorm, Hail, Grass Knot

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckeroo777 View Post
    Unless its unown, but thats beside the point.
    Okay, yeah, I wasn't really counting Unown. I just mean that every week, someone always thinks that whatever the current Pokémon is seems to suck, no matter what it is (unless it's an uber). But Unown is just one of those ones that Game Freak wants us to give up on...

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Castform, huh? Well...all 70 is pretty bad for base stats. True, it won't be terrible at anything specifically, but it can't really shine with those kind of stats.

Abilites
    Forecast: Castform's only ability. Transforms it into the type of the current weather. Makes Weather Ball always have STAB. Yeah, it's part of what makes it a gimmick. Still... it's strange it doesn't work on Sandstorm.

Any-Weather Sweeper

-Weather Ball
    -Fire Blast/Solarbeam
    -Hydro Pump/Thunder
    -Blizzard
    Item: Choice Specs/Metronome/Wise Glasses
    Ability: Forecast
    EVs and Nature: Modest (+SpAtk, -Atk); 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spd

Yeah, that's Castform for you. Has every weather-influenced move. Weather Ball is obvious. You can use Fire Blast for high power (plus STAB in Sunny Day), or you could use Solarbeam. Exact same thing with Hydro Pump/Thunder. Blizzard is well...Blizzard. High attack power and attacks both enemies in doubles. Just remember, for this set, to give the rest of your team weather-inducing moves. Something I've noticed is that no one put Metronome as an item for Castform to hold. Sure, it's not as powerful as Choice Specs (initially, at least), but it doesn't have that move-locking effect. I think it might go well with Weather Ball. I'm pretty sure people have completely forgotten about the item Metronome, so let me refresh your memories. Every time you use a move consecutively, its power increases by 10% (capped after 10th turn). It sort of works like Fury Cutter.

Sun Sweeper

-Sunny Day
    -Weather Ball
    -Fire Blast
    -Solarbeam
    Item: Heat Rock/Wise Glasses

Sweeps in the sun. Heat Rock for more sunlight turns or Choice Specs/Wise Glasses for more power. Unlike the first set, provides its own weather. You already know the 3 other moves.

Rain Sweeper

-Rain Dance
    -Weather Ball
    -Hydro Pump
    -Thunder
    Item: Damp Rock/Wise Glasses

Rain version of above set.

Hail Sweeper

-Hail
    -Weather Ball
    -Blizzard
    -Thunder Wave/Scald
    Item: Icy Rock/Wise Glasses

Hail version of above set, except only one move actually benefits from Hail, so either go for Thunder Wave for status problem fun, or use Scald to stop Fire types from completely stopping you. This is actually one of my favorite sets, since Blizzard can freeze opponents and hits both foes in Doubles.

Weather Support

-Weather Ball/Thunder Wave
    -Sunny Day
    -Rain Dance
    -Hail
    Item: Metronome/Wise Glasses/Leftovers
    EVs and Nature: Modest (+SpAtk, -Atk); 252 HP/156 SpAtk/100 Spd or Bold (+Def, -Atk); 4 HP/252 Def/252 SpDef

Like the title implies, use this set to summon any weather you want. I know it says support, but if you use Weather Ball instead of Thunder Wave, it sort of turns Castform into a mutli-type sweeper, given some time.

Other Options

It's strange, but only some of Castform's egg moves make possible alternatives.

Future Sight is a powerful interesting Psychic type move, however, Castform isn't the type of Pokemon to last long. If you do find a way to use it, go ahead.
    Disable may find a place in a support set.
    Amnesia can turn Castform into a bulky weather supporter.
    Ominous Wind is a bit of an iffy move, but if you manage to get its all stat boost, you have a chance to wreak some havoc.
    Clear Smog isn't such a bad move for stopping stat-boosting walls and, if you get the chance, Belly Drummers and Sword Dancers/Nasty Plotters.

Double and Triple Battle Options

Castform? In anything other than Singles? Well...Hail+Blizzard actually works pretty well if you manage to use it.

Partners

Drizzle Politoed, Drought Ninetales, Abomasnow, Kyogre, and Groudon. Of course, some of these options are pretty dumb, considering Castform has no place in Ubers.

Countering Castform

To be honest, any sweeper can knock Castform out in two hits or less. Maybe one more hit if you're facing a "bulky" support type. Any Fighting type with more than 70 base Speed or more Speed EVs than Castform should make an OHKO. It's too bad, really, but Castform is outspeeded and overpowered by every sweeper, and outbulked by every wall.
    Last edited by Airo; 21st January 2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Accidentally put Choice Specs in my Castform sets that have a weather-inducing move

Even Weather Ball (bar Rain) is outclassed on Castform. He gets Hydro Pump (unless you have accuracy issues with it), he gets Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt. They're also not weather reliant.

Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    Even Weather Ball (bar Rain) is outclassed on Castform. He gets Hydro Pump (unless you have accuracy issues with it), he gets Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt. They're also not weather reliant.
    What are you talking about? Weather Ball is one of Castform's greatest moves. Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt all have 95 base power. Outside of weather it stays like that. Weather Ball has 50 base power, which is doubled to 100 in any type of weather. But it doesn't even stop there. In sunlight or rain, Weather Ball gets the 50% boost because it changes to the type of weather. In addition, Forecast changes Castform's type to the type of weather as well, giving Weather Ball another 50% boost from STAB. The end result is 225 power. That's over double the aforementioned moves' base powers, meaning that using Sunny Day then Weather Ball will do more damage than using Flamethrower twice. True, Hydro Pump and Fire Blast will still have more power in their respective weathers, but since they have imperfect accuracy, Weather Ball is more preferable for me. Even with Hail, Weather Ball will have 150 power (Hail doesn't give 50% boosts to Ice type moves, but Castform still has STAB). In Sandstorm, Weather Ball will only have 100 base power, but that is still greater than 95.

Quote Originally Posted by Airo View Post
    What are you talking about? Weather Ball is one of Castform's greatest moves. Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt all have 95 base power. Outside of weather it stays like that. Weather Ball has 50 base power, which is doubled to 100 in any type of weather. But it doesn't even stop there. In sunlight or rain, Weather Ball gets the 50% boost because it changes to the type of weather. In addition, Forecast changes Castform's type to the type of weather as well, giving Weather Ball another 50% boost from STAB. The end result is 225 power. That's over double the aforementioned moves' base powers, meaning that using Sunny Day then Weather Ball will do more damage than using Flamethrower twice. True, Hydro Pump and Fire Blast will still have more power in their respective weathers, but since they have imperfect accuracy, Weather Ball is more preferable for me. Even with Hail, Weather Ball will have 150 power (Hail doesn't give 50% boosts to Ice type moves, but Castform still has STAB). In Sandstorm, Weather Ball will only have 100 base power, but that is still greater than 95.
    So what? hydro pump got 270 BP in the rain and 120 BP when there's no weather so is fire blast with sun
    weather ball is just bad...
    Here is a more accurate castform set meant for double weather.

castform @choice scarf
    Forecast
    Modest
    252 special attack. 252 speed, 4 defense
    Fire Blast
    Hydro pump
    Ice beam
    Thunder/Thunderbolt

this is the only set viable on double weather teams (rain/sun cuz there are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better blizzard spammers)

you need to go with full BP moves to cover for it's bad special attack stat
    262 special attack and 358 speed is horrible but... it is the maximum castform can get (unless you want to run choice specs and timid which is not reccomended for castform's frailty)

too bad it dopesn't get at least 100 special attack...
    Last edited by Ilan; 21st January 2012 at 9:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

he gets hydro pump, fire blast and blizzard, which in their respected weathers are stronger then weather ball, altho weather ball has more accuracy

It may have 5 more base power, but the elemental beams aren't weather reliant.

You're forgetting that Flamethrower is boosted by 50% as well. And it's not weather reliant.

I'm guessing that weather ball +castform was too awesome of an idea... So they were like, "Hey! Let's make it have stats comparable to Spinda... We can't just have one bad idea, now can we." And thus castform was born...
    On a side note, I'd only run Focus Sash on Castform because most people will just try to outright KO it

^Though stealth rock, spikes, ect really get in the way of focus sash, so it's not really as viable as it sounds.

Though it's an awesome item at the battle subway.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Magnemite used Sonic Boom! Magnemite glitched through the wall! It's super effective! Lyric fainted!

What's with all the hate for Weather Ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    So what? hydro pump got 270 BP in the rain and 120 BP when there's no weather so is fire blast with sun
    Yes, but Hydro Pump also has a 20% drop in accuracy, the same accuracy as another move often dubbed "Fail Edge". The power boost may be a good incentive to use it over Weather Ball, but when you're boasting incredible 70/70/70 defenses, you really can't afford for your attack to miss. Similar deal with Fire Blast.

Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    It may have 5 more base power, but the elemental beams aren't weather reliant.

You're forgetting that Flamethrower is boosted by 50% as well. And it's not weather reliant.
    There's a huge difference between Weather Ball being weather reliant and something like Thunder being weather reliant. When Rain turns to Sun, Thunder goes from being a perfectly accurate Electric attack to a very unreliable Electric attack. On the other hand, Weather Ball goes from being a 100 BP STAB move to...well, being a 100 BP STAB move. Since the only way to change weather is with weather, you can't lose. You'll always have a 100 BP STAB moves (well, except for Sand, but that's still a strong Rock move). And I don't see much of a point in using Flamethrower over Weather Ball on a Sun team, unless you actually think that 10% burn rate is going to be game-changing. At least if the weather changes to Rain, you won't have a 1/2 power Flamethrower to deal with. And besides, if you lose a weather war, a different type Weather Ball on a measly Castform will be the least of your worries.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    What's with all the hate for Weather Ball?

Yes, but Hydro Pump also has a 20% drop in accuracy, the same accuracy as another move often dubbed "Fail Edge". The power boost may be a good incentive to use it over Weather Ball, but when you're boasting incredible 70/70/70 defenses, you really can't afford for your attack to miss. Similar deal with Fire Blast.

There's a huge difference between Weather Ball being weather reliant and something like Thunder being weather reliant. When Rain turns to Sun, Thunder goes from being a perfectly accurate Electric attack to a very unreliable Electric attack. On the other hand, Weather Ball goes from being a 100 BP STAB move to...well, being a 100 BP STAB move. Since the only way to change weather is with weather, you can't lose. You'll always have a 100 BP STAB moves (well, except for Sand, but that's still a strong Rock move). And I don't see much of a point in using Flamethrower over Weather Ball on a Sun team, unless you actually think that 10% burn rate is going to be game-changing. At least if the weather changes to Rain, you won't have a 1/2 power Flamethrower to deal with. And besides, if you lose a weather war, a different type Weather Ball on a measly Castform will be the least of your worries.
    i was gonna say this, but much less eloquently, i applaud you :3

Credit to the amazing Lunar <3 and EG and BH :3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123