Thread: SS Battle Tower Team

Default SS Battle Tower Team

I'm not very experienced in competitive battling or things of that sort, but here is my team created for the purpose of beating the single battles of the Battle Tower (which it did in a few tries.) I might (just might) try making them a 3 man competitive team.
    Suggestions are ofcourse welcome.

Salamence (Adamant) @Focus Sash
    -Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Att, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    -Dragon Dance
    -Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide

Salamence (nicknamed Pestilence) is my lead. I find that it was a very decent scout with a choice variety of attacks to take out potentially dangerous Ice and Dragon types. When confronted by a Pokemon that isn't too much a threat Salamence proceeds to power up with DD. The Focus Sash ensures that it stays in battle to deal a considerable amount of damage.

Electivire (Adamant) @Salac Berry
    -Motor Drive
    EVs: 252 Spd, 200 Att, 56 HP
    -Thunder Punch
    -Ice Punch
    -Cross Chop
    -Earthquake

Electivire serves the role of physical damage. A range of typed moves to beat down whatever may have managed to defeat Salamence, a bit on the sluggish side compared to his teammates so was given a Salac Berry so he may be able to beat faster opponents.

Latios (Timid) @Leftovers
    -Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spd, 200 Sp. Att, 56 HP
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Psychic
    -Ice Beam
    -Surf (considering replacing.. can't remember why I had it there)

Latios (nicknamed Boost) serves the role of special sweeper and a switch for Pokemon who are bound to try to Earthquake Electivire. Built to outspeed almost anything in the BT and with a decent range of it covers what Electivire couldn't handle.

Not much powering up and special setting up going on in this team, the range of attack on them seem to be enough to just go all out offense, what do you guys think?
    FC Soulsilver: 3525 5463 2186

Other games: Pokemon Pearl and Emerald
    Pokemon wanted: Timid/ Calm/ Modest Latias and
    The Little Shinies.
    Gamestop Shiny Pichu!

looks good, you could try calm mind over surf on latios.

I got a better Salemence set

Salamence@Leftovers
    -Hydro Pump (Will take out rock types, a weakness
    -Earthquake (Can take out electricty, even though this is a nuetral problem its always good to have for scary situations)
    -Dragon Claw (STAB)
    -Flamethrower (Lets make sure we can take out Ice)
    Also what does rock slide do? Takes out fire? Dragons are immune to fire correct? Anyways not the point. It seems as though the rest of your team is fluent enough
    Last edited by ((JAWS)); 4th February 2012 at 4:58 AM.
    All credit for this banner goes to Red's Mount Silver Art Shop at Bulbagarden

Salamence @Focus Sash Life Orb / Lum Berry
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Intimidate
    EV: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    - Dragon Dance
    - Dragon Claw Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide Flamethrower / Fire Blast

Pestilence haha. Reminds me of Muramasa: The Demon Blade. But honestly, I found that purple blob rather ugly. In the EV spread, I assume you put Spd to mean Speed? SpD is often used to represent Special Defense and so Spe is used for speed. Salamence would indeed make a great sweeper. Outrage for more power because the Battle Tower is ruthless. Their attacks have higher success rates, so a Blizzard is more accurate and its frozen chance is about doubled. Wouldn't want to be fighting against that, would you? And Salamence can fall too easily to a Thunder Wave/Swagger/etc when powering up. Any status in the Battle Tower will easily result in your defeat. And you'll have to start all over. The Battle Tower is limited to 3 Pokemon and you are fighting them at the same level so every single one is crucial. Anyway Flamethrower / Fire Blast so you don't get walled by some steels. Lum Berry can be used to rid Salamence of his confusion after Outrage. Also, Salamence is better at sweeping than a lead.

Electivire @Salac Berry Expert Belt
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Motor Drive
    EV: 252 Spe, 252 Atk
    - Thunderpunch
    - Ice Punch
    - Cross Chop
    - Earthquake

Expert Belt to improve his super-effective hits because that Electivire sets hits 13/17 types for Super-Effective damage. Also, 252 Atk to max out his Attack power. Same thing as mentioned for Spe.

Latios @Leftovers Choice Scarf
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def
    - Dragon Pulse Trick
    - Psychic Thunder Wave
    - Ice Beam Flash
    - Surf Memento

What's with the same EV for all 3 Pokemon? Latios is your lead here. He has no attacking moves, but that's all he needs. Use Trick first turn to give your opponent Choice Scarf. Your opponent will be stuck with using that one move. And the trainers in the Battle Tower do not change their Pokemon much and so you can use that to your advantage. After you trick, use Thunder Wave to slow them down (if its not a Ground type). Then depending on your health and if you can take attacks, use Flash or Memento. Flash to lower accuracy. Memento if you're low on health so you can lower the opponent's attack power so your sweeper can set up. Choice Scarf locking your opponent into one move can be a great thing. The only downside is if the first Pokemon use Toxic because you have no one that you can switch into Toxic safely. If your opponent uses Thunder Wave, you're in luck. Send in Electivire.

So, if I were you, I'd get a Poison or Steel type so Toxic doesn't screw this set up. You can replace Electivire. You'd lose Thunder Wave coverage, but you can also replace Salamence with Garchomp (since he's a Ground type). And Garchomp is better with his Swords Dance set.

Hope this helps.

P.S.: Latias can fulfill Latios's role WAY better thanks to her bulk.
    Last edited by Kays; 4th February 2012 at 5:32 AM.

Special thanks to Sweet May @ lightspeed graphics for the Trainer Card.

Quote Originally Posted by floatzel98 View Post
    looks good, you could try calm mind over surf on latios.
    Yeah, was actually considering that

Quote Originally Posted by ((JAWS)) View Post
    I got a better Salemence set

Salamence@Leftovers
    -Hydro Pump (Will take out rock types, a weakness
    -Earthquake (Can take out electricty, even though this is a nuetral problem its always good to have for scary situations)
    -Dragon Claw (STAB)
    -Flamethrower (Lets make sure we can take out Ice)
    Also what does rock slide do? Takes out fire? Dragons are immune to fire correct? Anyways not the point. It seems as though the rest of your team is fluent enough
    Rock Slide was to take out Ice types.. also if I found myself in a sticky situation and didn't mind too much if Salamence died I'd hope for the flinching effect to kick in.
    Also I had Flamethrower in at first but Earthquake seemed to have the Steel/Rock types covered. Was also reluctant to keep in flamethrower because some Ice types are part water.

Kays, the item suggestions look like good ideas, I'm a bit too impatient to use that Latios set though x) And my Spd does mean speed.. sorry I typed it differently
    Garchomp would probably be stronger than Salamence yeah..
    I kinda like Salamence though x)
    Last edited by Jhovan:); 4th February 2012 at 5:43 AM.

The Little Shinies.
    Gamestop Shiny Pichu!

Your team will lose to ice types though, or at least ice moves. Adding a steel type of Latios won't be a bad idea. A heatran will give you a special attacker and some nice fire moves. Metagross will make your team all physical, but an agility or choice band set could be used. You could even use a pokemon like gastrodon who will suck up electric and water moves. We could go in another direction and use gyarados over salamence since one of it's two weaknesses weakness are electric, if you see an electric attack coming you switch to electivire and get a free speed boost. Sorry if i'm rambling on

Quote Originally Posted by floatzel98 View Post
    Your team will lose to ice types though, or at least ice moves. Adding a steel type of Latios won't be a bad idea. A heatran will give you a special attacker and some nice fire moves. Metagross will make your team all physical, but an agility or choice band set could be used. You could even use a pokemon like gastrodon who will suck up electric and water moves. We could go in another direction and use gyarados over salamence since one of it's two weaknesses weakness are electric, if you see an electric attack coming you switch to electivire and get a free speed boost. Sorry if i'm rambling on
    No, no I don't think you're rambling... some good ideas that I haven't thought of here... Especially the Gyarados-Electivire one xD
    Will consider for sure

The Little Shinies.
    Gamestop Shiny Pichu!

Quote Originally Posted by Jhovan:) View Post
    ]
    Kays, the item suggestions look like good ideas, I'm a bit too impatient to use that Latios set though x) And my Spd does mean speed.. sorry I typed it differently
    Garchomp would probably be stronger than Salamence yeah..
    I kinda like Salamence though x)
    I'm sorry, but Latios won't stay on the field for many turns. He has lower defense than Latias so a few hits (even neutral damage) will send him off. But the point isn't about Latios staying on the field or not, it's about his speed and a Trick Choice Scarf to his opponents. This way, you know what move the opponent will use and you can counter it as you wish. They usually use a super-effective move against Latios (if they have one), so Heatran should cover all of those. And since the opponent is trapped and can't use any other moves, you won't be worried about a possible Toxic, Thunder Wave, etc until you finish powering up. After you power up to max, you'll win hands down. No competition.

Also, Latias has a great moveset. Thunder Wave to slow it down after a Trick Choice Scarf. It also paralyzes it giving you potential free turns. And Memento to cripple the opponent so your sweeper can make its debut without being walloped to death before it can even start.

The only thing that you have to worry about is a possible Quick Claw OHKO move like Horn Drill. The AI gets a very unfair advantage. Those OHKO connects more than you think.

Garchomp then? Heres a set

Garchomp
    -Swords Dance
    -Earthquake
    -Flamethrower (Takes out ice)
    -Outrage
    All credit for this banner goes to Red's Mount Silver Art Shop at Bulbagarden

^ don't put Special moves on a swords dance set, Perhaps Stone edge over Flamethrower.
    Member of Crystalline

Start of turn 1

Rotom-W used Trick!
    Rotom-W switched items with the foe's Shedinja!
    Rotom-W obtained one Toxic Orb!
    The foe's Shedinja obtained one Choice Scarf!

The foe's Shedinja used Trick!
    The foe's Shedinja switched items with Rotom-W!
    The foe's Shedinja obtained one Toxic Orb!
    Rotom-W obtained one Choice Scarf!

I put Substitute on my Garchomp so it can hopefully get the chance to pull off one Swords Dance if the situation requires it.

But the OP has stated that he likes Salamence more than Garchomp, so we should respect his/her decision.

If your using mence, Don't use Sash on it, and Outrage over Dragon claw.
    Member of Crystalline

Start of turn 1

Rotom-W used Trick!
    Rotom-W switched items with the foe's Shedinja!
    Rotom-W obtained one Toxic Orb!
    The foe's Shedinja obtained one Choice Scarf!

The foe's Shedinja used Trick!
    The foe's Shedinja switched items with Rotom-W!
    The foe's Shedinja obtained one Toxic Orb!
    Rotom-W obtained one Choice Scarf!

Outrage and dragon claw are interchangeable according to who is using it. But yeah, Outrage does put out the most damage if you can get it.