Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 46 of 46

Thread: Why are christians so intolerant towards atheist?

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,609

    Default

    I actually remember looking at a poll in my book from my freshman U.S. Government/Politics class in which the majority of people wouldn't vote for an atheist president. Muslims and gays were pretty low on that graph too.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom...on_of_atheists The results shown here are close enough.

    Religion should not be an issue unless it starts to become public. It is a personal issue, and if your beliefs are getting in the way of your social competence, then there is a problem.
    Last edited by Prelude; 20th January 2012 at 3:44 AM.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Whispering Rock
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Xtreme View Post
    ^ Yeah that.
    I have around 5 friends that are atheists, whenever they tell me, I simply nod along. When I tell them I believe in God, they all jump the bandwagon and call me an idiot and an 21st century caveman.
    I've met more intolerant atheists than I've met intolerant Christians, but just the same, I've met both kinds.
    Same here. I have a friend that claims to be an atheist, but I believe he is quite unsure whenever I bring that up. Though he doesn't go on a rampage whenever I tell him I am a Christian. He simply says 'okay' as I explain religion to him.

    You see, I'm the type of christian that respects all beliefs. I'm part Quaker, to be precise.
    Ardent user of anything Rock, Steel, Ground, or Fire
    3DS FC: 4296-3229-5439
    Credit to Mochi10 for the userbar/Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Far from human
    Posts
    1,507

    Default

    "Psychologists at the University of British Columbia and the University of Oregon say that their study demonstrates that anti-atheist prejudice stems from moral distrust, not dislike, of nonbelievers."

    Distrusting =/= hating.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post
    "Psychologists at the University of British Columbia and the University of Oregon say that their study demonstrates that anti-atheist prejudice stems from moral distrust, not dislike, of nonbelievers."

    Distrusting =/= hating.
    Right, that makes it okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    You say my ideas are harmful to society, I say you're going to hell.
    Theists - spreading intolerance and hate since 4000 BC

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pokémon Daycare
    Posts
    6,408

    Default

    Ok, I stand corrected.
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Yes, it's almost as if you've shoved broad labels on people based on a few facets of their personality in order to predicate all of their future behavior, and, shockingly, it just didn't work out, eh?
    More of the opposite, really. Most Christians I know aren't like this, but I can't help but laugh at the few who claim wikipedia is liberally biased, and that Athiests are fat.
    I mean seriously, have you ever seen that site? It manages to be both hilarious and depressing at the same time.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Zeppelin Rules!
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    Very good poll. Very telling. One question, though; why weren't ******s an option?

    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Asbestospoison View Post
    More of the opposite, really. Most Christians I know aren't like this, but I can't help but laugh at the ones who claim wikipedia is liberally biased, and that Athiests are fat.
    Yeah, but if you look at any group, you're going to meet some people who meet the stereotypes, but probably many more who don't. I just feel that it's completely inane to assign any relevance to the group as a whole, rather than to the few individuals you've dealt with.
    Last edited by GrizzlyB; 20th January 2012 at 3:50 AM.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post
    "Psychologists at the University of British Columbia and the University of Oregon say that their study demonstrates that anti-atheist prejudice stems from moral distrust, not dislike, of nonbelievers."

    Distrusting =/= hating.
    Yes, and both are a form of intolerance.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Because Christians are all intolerant pricks. They can't think for themselves.

    Richard Dawkins is brilliant. Everyone should read his books and learn to accept his facts in The God Delusion.

  10. #35

    Default

    You know, I could use this thread as evidence of a generalization that atheists are intolerant towards Christians, but I won't since I'm actually very tolerant towards atheists.

    Oh, I hope that stung.

  11. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero View Post
    "There are just as may outspoken atheists as there are Christians, they can be just as bad!!" is an argument I hear a lot, and it's a ridiculous one. You can't compare the two.
    Oh, you definitely can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero View Post
    Outspoken Christians (and the religious in general) are telling you that unless you accept their personal savior and believe their specific story of supernatural - which mind you has no evidence and has to be taken on faith alone - you will be cast into eternal suffering because of a blight that you were born with. That is, (in the words of the late Christopher Hitchens) through no fault of your own, you're born sick and commanded to get better.

    Outspoken atheists are saying that that's a completely ridiculous idea, not only laughable but harmful to human society, and that it's a sickening thing to be telling children.
    You say my ideas are harmful to society, I say you're going to hell. Sounds like we're even.
    Last edited by mattj; 20th January 2012 at 4:13 AM.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Very good poll. Very telling. One question, though; why weren't ******s an option?

    EDIT:


    Yeah, but if you look at any group, you're going to meet some people who meet the stereotypes, but probably many more who don't. I just feel that it's completely inane to assign any relevance to the group as a whole, rather than to the few individuals you've dealt with.
    What? No, I'm saying most Christians aren't like that. I am saying that the few that are give them a bad name.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Let's see, are Christians ostracized on a daily basis? If they are, it's nothing compared to the crap Atheists receive. And to all the Christians saying they respect Atheists, just because you do doesn't mean the problem still doesn't exist.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    that place
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Ignorance is the one disease that will never be cured.

    No matter what religion (race/gender etc.) there are always people that believe they are the only ones ho live their lives and believe/don't believe properly.

    It wouldn't be so bad if some people would keep to themselves and shut up, but that's unrealistic.


  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Half of the time I tell an atheist I believe that Jesus Christ died for my sins when they ask me my religious beliefs. They then verbally attack me and say I am an idiot.

    swings both ways
    Absolutely. Do I strongly disagree with atheists? yes. Am I going to attack them in any way for their beliefs? No.

    In fact an early post on this thread is what I usually get, that I am delusional.
    -----------
    btw overlordmewtwo, doesn't Jesus himself say that we should go into all nations and make disciples? Now I am not going to force someone to convert if they don't want to, but I am certainly going to tell them about my beliefs in Christ
    Last edited by TheWatersGreatGuardian; 20th January 2012 at 4:09 AM.

    "What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnovaMaster View Post
    Let's see, are Christians ostracized on a daily basis? If they are, it's nothing compared to the crap Atheists receive. And to all the Christians saying they respect Atheists, just because you do doesn't mean the problem still doesn't exist.
    This is why I prefer to be nonreligious. Not denying or accepting a god, just not caring. Although occasionally I'll tell someone I'm a pastafarian just to mess with them.

  17. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnovaMaster View Post
    Let's see, are Christians ostracized on a daily basis? If they are, it's nothing compared to the crap Atheists receive. And to all the Christians saying they respect Atheists, just because you do doesn't mean the problem still doesn't exist.
    it doesn't mean the problem is large either

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Distortion World
    Posts
    791

    Default

    My family barely tolerates my belief in the Big Bang and Evolution. I feel you, bro.






    Credit to Pika Pal Lyra

  19. #44

    Default

    my family barely tolerates my belief in Jesus Christ

    i guess we're even

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnovaMaster View Post
    Let's see, are Christians ostracized on a daily basis? If they are, it's nothing compared to the crap Atheists receive. And to all the Christians saying they respect Atheists, just because you do doesn't mean the problem still doesn't exist.
    This is true maybe in America, but around the world? No.

    I respect's atheists' rights to believe what they wish, its up to them, they are human beings with God-given (imo of course) free will.

    But yes I do think not believing in God is wrong. not going to sugarcoat that.
    ---------------
    PS, the OP really did a crappy job of naming this thread. Seems like he is just trying to start something.

    "What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    into that good night
    Posts
    10,438

    Default

    Three pages in an hour. Good grief. Even when I'm just in time, I'm not just in time.

    Religion topics, especially bad ones, ought to be kept to the Debate forum.

    Edit- I liked this:

    I'm an Atheist and most of my friends are Christians, but we know that we aren't defined by our religious beliefs of lack of, so the issue never comes up. I don't care what religion you fall under, if you're a good person, you have my respect.
    Last edited by Profesco; 20th January 2012 at 4:29 AM.

    Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •