Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 86

Thread: Why is this gen so underrated?

  1. #26
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Like others have said, 1st and 2nd gen are loved for the nostalgia. The newer games are full of better story plots. They also have more things to do, have better graphics, and so on. The 3rd gen is just kind of stuck in the middle... It's not old enough to remember and relate to one's childhood, and it's not new enough for players to want to play over the 4th/5th generations.

    | survival project |
    | this trainer is different. everyone knows it, but no one can explain it. |
    | complete |


    | flying in the dark |
    | he's hiding something. she just doesn't know it. |
    | on hiatus|


    | love and other nightmares |
    | limited time, limited abilities. kyurem says she can be cured in exchange for saving those who need saving. |
    | chapter 3 released 11/22/14 |


  2. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, England.
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Yeah, I concur with others. The people who got into Pokemon when it came out in the late 90s and got mega-popular, and were mostly still with it for GSC, had outgrown it by the time Ruby and Sapphire came along. Myself included - at the time RS were out, I'd left Pokemon behind and was a massive fan of the Final Fantasy series. I didn't "return" to Pokemon until the late noughties, when I replayed the first gen games, then found my Silver had dead-batteried and so decided to get Emerald.

    That said,
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperEpicRock View Post
    Just wait until all major pokemon players started their journeys at around 3rd gen, then you'll be hearing "I wish they made pokemon like they did in gen 3!!"
    I've already come across a bit of this, here and on some Youtube comments. It still feels somehow jarring to hear people getting nostalgic about RS, saying it was their first generation. I guess time marches on. Just think that in about five or ten years time, there'll be people reminiscing about how BW2 was their first game, and criticising the latest games for being too focussed on fancy graphics and having awful Pokemon.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In a Corner, Crying
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperEpicRock View Post
    Your specific friends just sound like they outgrew/got tired of pokemon, but in all seriousness, I have heard people say that 3rd gen is the worst, even if they'd played all five. Personally, I love 3rd gen, although that's mainly just because it introduced my favorite pokemon ever, Camerupt. Other than that I guess I can see how it is a little bland compared to 4th and 5th gen, and of course, 1st and 2nd gen still have the nostalgia factor, so that's probably why there's so much hate for 3rd gen going around.

    Just wait until all major pokemon players started their journeys at around 3rd gen, then you'll be hearing "I wish they made pokemon like they did in gen 3!!"
    I agree with this guy...

    Quote Originally Posted by cantab View Post
    Yeah, I concur with others. The people who got into Pokemon when it came out in the late 90s and got mega-popular, and were mostly still with it for GSC, had outgrown it by the time Ruby and Sapphire came along. Myself included - at the time RS were out, I'd left Pokemon behind and was a massive fan of the Final Fantasy series. I didn't "return" to Pokemon until the late noughties, when I replayed the first gen games, then found my Silver had dead-batteried and so decided to get Emerald.

    That said,I've already come across a bit of this, here and on some Youtube comments. It still feels somehow jarring to hear people getting nostalgic about RS, saying it was their first generation. I guess time marches on. Just think that in about five or ten years time, there'll be people reminiscing about how BW2 was their first game, and criticising the latest games for being too focussed on fancy graphics and having awful Pokemon.
    and this guy.

    I've seen more praise than hate on 3rd gen lately.
    No sig. Deal with it.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    40

    Default

    well they should try they are great games
    ...

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,579

    Default

    It's either the nostalgia, the fear of it being different, the craze having died down, or the marketing wasn't that good, either of those could be the reasons why R/S/E are underrated. I'm not sure, I remember being excited about it when I saw the commercials. I thought it looked really interesting, and by golly it was. I enjoyed traveling through Hoenn, it's my second-favorite region (behind Johto). Granted, the villains aren't that great of villains, but at least the climax of the game was mind-bogglingly awesome.

    And besides, I have of yet to hear from someone that the third generation was bad. It just seems that way because of how it didn't gain a lot of popularity until recently. Perhaps the remakes (if any) will make up for it.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Your computer screen.
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperEpicRock
    Just wait until all major pokemon players started their journeys at around 3rd gen, then you'll be hearing "I wish they made pokemon like they did in gen 3!!"
    This is me. Ruby was my first game, and I spent the most time on it. It's probably still my favorite because 3rd gen were the first Pokemon games that I owned. I had played Silver before, but I found Gen 3 to be completely better overall. And it wasn't just R/S/E for me. Another reason why I love 3rd gen to this day was Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness. Personally, I think that's another reason why people don't like 3rd gen as much. Colosseum and XD completely changed the Pokemon formula, and I don't think a lot of people were comfortable with that. Well, that's my two cents.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dewford Town, Hoenn
    Posts
    67

    Default

    I too am finding more fans of the third generation now, unfortunately nostalgists are now including Gen 3 with 1 and 2 when they hate on new generations. Please leave Gen 3 out of your stupid rambles nostalgist.

    Welcome to the Pokemon World. Learn the commandments of Pokemon Equality
    1) One loves the idea of Pokemon and their existence
    2) One only looks down upon a certain Pokemon after giving them a fair look and use
    3) One does not hate a certain generation because of a few Pokemon
    4) One does not be use backwards logic to hate Pokemon
    5) One must realize every gen has its awesome designs, and terrible designs.
    6) One must love Blaziken

    Blaziken 5 lyfe, because 5>4

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Unova
    Posts
    181

    Default

    They probably just don't want to move on from the older generations; I personally love the surfing and water in Hoenn. It makes it more fun. Hoenn is one of my favorite regions.

  9. #34

    Default

    Maybe because the gen is kind of old, and that they're blinded by nostalgia. Or, they're sick of Pokemon during this gen.

    Credit to Riataro from EGC

    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazikener View Post
    I too am finding more fans of the third generation now, unfortunately nostalgists are now including Gen 3 with 1 and 2 when they hate on new generations. Please leave Gen 3 out of your stupid rambles nostalgist.
    I agree, and it's quite ironic, especially when some of the nostalgists keep whining about when GF is going to add R/S remakes so they can play it (we likely won't see it until Gen 6, if Pokemon has accustomed to 3DS gaming ofc).

    As for playing Emerald, Hoenn has a special place in my heart similarly to Johto...I loved the way that you had to travel to major cities on water instead of derping through sidewalks. The only thing I disagree with is the Team Aqua and Magma ideologies since they never really made sense when you apply them to scenarios.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cerulean City, Kanto
    Posts
    4,604

    Default

    I think it's because it's right in the middle of pokemon generations...There are now 5 Generations of pokemon, and the 3rd Generation is right in the very middle...It's like the middle child in the family, the one that a lot of people tend to forget about...LOL but I still like it.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    345

    Default

    I've seen a lot of people complain about the trumpets in the soundtrack, in my opinion, that's part of the charm.
    Black FC: 4556 4638 8851
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 0387-9290-9349
    Ground Safari: Sandshrew, Dugtrio, Diggersby

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Orre...
    Posts
    704

    Default

    To tell the truth, I happened to rather like the 3rd Gen games. Hoenn was great, and Orre was something new all together.

  14. #39

    Default

    Gen 3 was the rekidling of this old guys love for Pokemon. I was in my late teens when the Red and Blue came out and only picked it up because at that time it appealed to my toy collecting interest. I mean, who WOULDN'T love collecting 150 different little monsters while playing a RPG? I was interested in Gold and Silver when it came out and by this time I was also familliar with the series being aimed at kids. Personally, I didn't care at all and continued to collect all the games and enjoyed it.

    When Gen 3 first came out, I was annoyed that it wasn't able to link to the old games and that it didn't have access to some of the older Pokemon like Eevee. I was also in my 20s so I figured if I had to start all over again, it was a no go. Fast forward to Leaf Green and Fire Red and Nostalgia kicks in, I pick LG and play through it and get hooked again. I scrambled out to find a copy of Ruby or Sapphire and realize I missed out on one helluva game! From there, I did whatever I could to get all 386. Bought Pokemon Box (wich is needed for the new generatios and Nintendo should wisen up already), Colosseum and the Jirachi bonus disc, and the Eon Ticket off ebay and an E-reader. I've been hooked again ever since. Gen 3 was onse of the best Gens ever in terms of simplicity and enjoyment. It lacked some things but brought us so much more like abilities,the Battle frontier, a new system of berries (they should have been growable in Unova. Nintendo dropped the ball there) and contests and ribbons (wich should never have been taken out either). It also introduced the IV and EV systems and set the stage for the future of Pokemon games we now enjoy. It's a great generation, better than gen 5 by a long shot, and deserves it's merits.


    Kukem
    Pokemon White - FC: 3181 5388 6559
    Pokedex: Gen4: Caught - 493. (It's about time!)
    Gen5: Caught - 330

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Gen 3 is and will stay my favourite, at least the games. (At anime my favs are 1 and 2)
    I don't exactly know the reason, but maybe the fact that the very first Pokémon game I played was Sapphire, and I started when I was 8, and liked it a lot. I also like the idea of there being two villain teams who actually fight against each other instead of cooperating or there being only one villain team.
    And, the quality is better than in previous generations, while Pokémon are better than in the new ones.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

    FireRed team:
    Cordelia Nida Rai Fang Cyclone Charlie

    I might help nicknaming your Pokémon, PM me!

    I don't like gen5.I'm not a nostalgic freak who can't accept new things;when gen2 came out,I didn't even notice it was new.When gen3 came out,I thought "new Pokémon already??"but I tried to learn as much as possible.When gen4 came out,I was like "Cool, but evolutions of older Pokémon look ugly.Which starter would I pick?"When all gen5 Pokémon were revealed,I was disappointed.
    Oh yeah; when gen 6 came out, I was disappointed too, but then it started to revive my faith in the future of pokemon.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    ISS
    Posts
    819

    Default

    The third generation is great and I always go back to play it but the things I don't like is after the Pokemon League there is nothing to do, water is way too common and they were very easy and boring but still great

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NARNIA *****ES!
    Posts
    1,967

    Default

    underrated? I thought this gen was the most OVERrated
    Black 2 FC: 0047 0978 3613


    Credit to Astral Shadow

    Check out my new RPG and join it:
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...-Serpent-PG-13

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    somewhere in the karp paradise
    Posts
    20

    Default

    not back then.
    ahh gen 3... my first gen.. practically the only reason why i got a GBA SP LOL
    LG was my first game.... and i enjoyed it so much... then came emerald.
    even with all those ST00PD tentacools and my save file getting deleted every single time i defeat wallace.. I STILL LOVED IT.
    KARPZ ROCK
    THE HIDDEN RULER OF THE RESORT AREA IS WATCHING YOU
    Gyarados is technically a blue Magikarp with its body multiplied x8 with horns and fangs. See my sig pictures to see what i mean.


    'Nuff said.

    White Team: (will be replaced by)/ (depends on my mood)

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Garbage dump
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Gen 3 isn't underrated.Now it's overrated.Everyone's drooling over a remake.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Well for me, I was kinda the same way with nostalgia.

    When we only had 3 generations, I didn't like Gen 3 and I loved Gens 1 and 2.

    Well then 4th and 5th Gens came along (played Gen 4 for the first time in 2011 at the same time B/W were released), and I realized that I didn't like the Pokemon from Gens 4 and 5, except a very few, and I started appreciating Gen 3 more.

    Now the Pokemon from Gen 3 are probably my favorite.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Yeah. I remember times when gen 3 was still the 'oh so new' and me and my brother found it really hard to memorize names of all gen 3 pokemon (now we do, but not for further generations; I know some, but my brother doesn't know more than most) and we were all like "New gen already? I mean ALREADY?" when it came out.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

    FireRed team:
    Cordelia Nida Rai Fang Cyclone Charlie

    I might help nicknaming your Pokémon, PM me!

    I don't like gen5.I'm not a nostalgic freak who can't accept new things;when gen2 came out,I didn't even notice it was new.When gen3 came out,I thought "new Pokémon already??"but I tried to learn as much as possible.When gen4 came out,I was like "Cool, but evolutions of older Pokémon look ugly.Which starter would I pick?"When all gen5 Pokémon were revealed,I was disappointed.
    Oh yeah; when gen 6 came out, I was disappointed too, but then it started to revive my faith in the future of pokemon.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Johto
    Posts
    38

    Default

    I always thought gen 3 looked like eye candy. Hoenn is very colorful.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,312

    Default

    I enjoyed gen 1&2 (gen 2 is my favorite across all gens) and hated gen 3. For me it was the poor graphics. However I've gotten over that. But yeah gen 3 came out during a time when the original fans were starting high school and pkmn was suddenly deemed un-cool. Before then people would sneak the games into school and trade cards behind teachers backs.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A lot of random places
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Generation 3 was really good for me as ruby was my first game
    Shaymin is amazing!
    ~ ★

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    1 9 2 5
    Posts
    820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy40 View Post
    I always thought gen 3 looked like eye candy. Hoenn is very colorful.
    This ^^

    Most probably because Gen 3 had the least change competitively, or maybe because Gen 4's Physical & Special split was too much for the lacklustre Gen 3 to take on.

    ah , what an unsightly existence ! / illustration : cyawa

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •