Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is this gen so underrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Johto_girl View Post
    I enjoyed gen 1&2 (gen 2 is my favorite across all gens) and hated gen 3. For me it was the poor graphics. However I've gotten over that. But yeah gen 3 came out during a time when the original fans were starting high school and pkmn was suddenly deemed un-cool. Before then people would sneak the games into school and trade cards behind teachers backs.

Poor graphics? I'd say they were a HUGE improvement from GSC!
    Black: 0389 7985 8218
    I claimed ~Tropius~

In the beginning when a new gen comes out, everyone has to get used to it, I hated BW at first but now I think it's awesome.

Ruby was my absolute favorite game out of all of them, and my first game was Yellow. It was mostly the music and the setting that got me at first. Hoenn is my favorite region, with the tropical cities and vibrant tunes, filled with Flute solos and Brass choruses. The Pokemon quickly became my favorite of all the overall Generations, of course except for Jolteon. Ah, my pal Jolteon, who I named Lance, has stuck with me as my main Pokemon throughout each generation. But the Eon Duo is definitely my favorite Legendary Pokemon by far.

Teh pokemanz r uglY, apparently. Also, the fact that you can't trade with the original games made many people upset. Also confused me when I tried to put Ruby into my GBC lol.
    Currently going through the 5 main regions.
    Quote Originally Posted by SazandoraIsAwesome View Post
    -ARE SKYLA, ELESA, and CYNTHIA STILL YOUNG AND SEXY??!

I disliked gen 3 because at the time my favorite type was fire and their was way to much water traveling

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

It'd probably gain more popularity if there were R/S/E remakes. Not for the sake of having the remakes, but because the remakes would be available on a DS gamecard like how you can with the other generations. I loved playing Sapphire version though when it came out.

Nostalgic clinging towards gen 1 & 2 and huge hype over gen 4 & 5. Gen 3 has become overshadowed.

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud_Arcanine View Post
    It'd probably gain more popularity if there were R/S/E remakes. Not for the sake of having the remakes, but because the remakes would be available on a DS gamecard like how you can with the other generations. I loved playing Sapphire version though when it came out.
    Completely opposite, I'd love it if the newer games were suitable for GBA.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

FireRed team:
    Cordelia Nida Rai Fang Cyclone Charlie

I might help nicknaming your Pokémon, PM me!

I don't like gen5.I'm not a nostalgic freak who can't accept new things;when gen2 came out,I didn't even notice it was new.When gen3 came out,I thought "new Pokémon already??"but I tried to learn as much as possible.When gen4 came out,I was like "Cool, but evolutions of older Pokémon look ugly.Which starter would I pick?"When all gen5 Pokémon were revealed,I was disappointed.
    Oh yeah; when gen 6 came out, I was disappointed too, but then it started to revive my faith in the future of pokemon.

I think it was more overrated than underated.

There were many downsides to the games like the weather animation and surf
    "Heart + Determination + Perserverence = Success" ™

My Philosophical quote on goals and dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by lovepika View Post
    Completely opposite, I'd love it if the newer games were suitable for GBA.
    I'm not too bothered either way what console it's made for. I think it's just because the DS is the 'latest handheld console' that'd be the most popular format to sell them on. When HG and SS came out I'd have bought it quite happily if it was only use able on the GBA. However you have to think about the current market ( which as much as I hate it, technology moves too fast for its own good these days) so people whose first console was a DS it'd be popular.

Quote Originally Posted by scraftyscrafty View Post
    This ^^

Most probably because Gen 3 had the least change competitively, or maybe because Gen 4's Physical & Special split was too much for the lacklustre Gen 3 to take on.
    Gen 3 is the backbone of modern competitive battling

Welcome to the Pokemon World. Learn the commandments of Pokemon Equality
    1) One loves the idea of Pokemon and their existence
    2) One only looks down upon a certain Pokemon after giving them a fair look and use
    3) One does not hate a certain generation because of a few Pokemon
    4) One does not be use backwards logic to hate Pokemon
    5) One must realize every gen has its awesome designs, and terrible designs.
    6) One must love Blaziken

Blaziken 5 lyfe, because 5>4

Probably because most so called "Genwunners" like me were coming of age around the time that R/S/E were released (I was in middle school), and at that point, Pokemon was beginning to get "out of style" for us. Since we were the original fanbase of Pokemon, that's why this generation is often so underrated, not too many of us actually played it. I stopped playing Pokemon straight up when Gen III came out. Last year, I finally decided to try it out. It wasn't so bad at all! The graphics were awesome, and even though some of the Pokemon were a little too "new" for me, I still enjoyed it greatly. This generation actually isn't that shabby at all!
    Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova Champion

Because most of the """"fans"""" only cares about RBY and GSC.
    Gen IV is pretty underrated too, for the same reason.

What is a shame, I think this generation is the best tied with Gen V.

I dunno, but I think the 'peak' years for the series was around gen I and II. I remember during those times, Pokemon merchandise was everywhere. Come gen III, there were a lot but not as much as it used to be, even up to now. It's kinda sad to think this is true since gen III was one of my faves and on a personal note, that's when I really got immersed into the series. I miss gen III a lot. But IMO the most underrated gen is gen V (no offense to those who like gen V).

Quote Originally Posted by nathandg0924 View Post
    I dunno, but I think the 'peak' years for the series was around gen I and II. I remember during those times, Pokemon merchandise was everywhere. Come gen III, there were a lot but not as much as it used to be, even up to now. It's kinda sad to think this is true since gen III was one of my faves and on a personal note, that's when I really got immersed into the series. I miss gen III a lot. But IMO the most underrated gen is gen V (no offense to those who like gen V).
    I agree totally. The peak years for Pokemon were between 1996 and 2003. There was even a book about the so called "rise and fall of Pokemon," and they attribute the fall of Pokemon to Gen III. The games couldn't trade with Gen II, they introduced way too many new and unusual looking Pokemon, Ash changed clothes, there were a ton of things that people hated about the series. Pokemon has never gotten as much fame as it got back then (except for the Pikachu balloon that's in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade nearly every year).

And you must remember that the original Pokefans (like me), came of age when Gen III came out. Most of us were in middle school at that time, and stopped watching the series, as well as the games. I only recently got back into Pokemon last year, when my mom found my old Game Boy Color in the attic with my Pokemon Yellow and Silver games.
    Most of my college friends (as well as a lot of college students) are getting back into it today, but they're mainly going back to Gen I/II games and anime. I bought a copy of Emerald last year as well, and played it, and it was pretty good.

I still won't watch the Hoenn anime, though. That was painful, in my opinion.
    Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova Champion

At the time pokemon was losing popularity, it sky rocketed at the release of the DS, though.
    Currently playing: Pokemon Ruby Team! (Broken internal battery :C)

Most recent shiny-

I don't know about that. The reason why I am not much interested in he newer games is because they cannot be played on the good old GBA and my parents would not let me buy the game AND the console, anyway. I prefer 2d games much over the 3d ones and gen3 game quality is, in my opinion, better than any before or after.

FireRed team:
    Cordelia Nida Rai Fang Cyclone Charlie

I might help nicknaming your Pokémon, PM me!

I don't like gen5.I'm not a nostalgic freak who can't accept new things;when gen2 came out,I didn't even notice it was new.When gen3 came out,I thought "new Pokémon already??"but I tried to learn as much as possible.When gen4 came out,I was like "Cool, but evolutions of older Pokémon look ugly.Which starter would I pick?"When all gen5 Pokémon were revealed,I was disappointed.
    Oh yeah; when gen 6 came out, I was disappointed too, but then it started to revive my faith in the future of pokemon.

How is it underrated? So many people love 3rd gen.

I like Ruby and Emerald! Except for Team Magma and Aqua. They are always running me amok!
    SuperTeam USA: Me, God, Jesus, Santa Clause and Easter Bunny and Holy Ghost
    I can't wait for Pokemon Black 2 and White! Elese and Bugh are back!

Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post
    How is it underrated? So many people love 3rd gen.
    They love it now, because of the so expected remakes.
    Before, in every poll or thread about least favorite generations, 3rd gen was in the top.

Because people are idiots

To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe
    To bear with unbearable sorrow. To run where the brave dare not go.
    To try when your arms are too weary. To reach the unreachable star!
    This is my quest! To follow that Star! No matter how hopeless, no matter how far
    To fight for the right, without question or pause, to be willing to march into hell for a heavenly cause!
    And The world will be better for this, that one man, scorned and covered with scars still strove to his last ounce of courage.
    To reach, that unreachable star!
    I have claimed Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

I feel that the games took much longer to grow on me than the previous games (minus FireRed and LeafGreen, I just didn't really like those remakes but I'll get to them in a moment).

Obviously the two biggest things that upset me when I got my Sapphire version were the idea that I couldn't trade between them and GSC and the fact that only a selection of 200 out of the 186 were available and that most of my favorites didn't make the cut. That was about it for me. Everything else was fine with the games. The generation took much longer than the other 4 generations to grow on me just because there was no immediate way to get all the guys onto the first versions.

I didn't really like FireRed too much. The games felt like they played much slower than the previous games. I remember explicitly hating the bike of that game because of how much slower it was (there was no reason to even use the bike at all). I was used to the quicker Ruby and Sapphire by that point (I had already put in 300+ hours into it by then).

I loved Colosseum with all my heart. It got a lot of the guys I loved in. Same with XD.

Emerald was the first game I was actually able to enjoy fully. And I account that to the fact that I KNEW I was able to get all 386 (well, I got 382 legitimately. I never could get through all of Mt. Battle to get Ho-oh and I was nowhere near a place to get Mew, Celebi, or Deoxys legitimately so I hacked them) and that it felt like an upgrade almost to both RS and FRLG (as opposed to the downgrade FRLG felt like).

Really, it was the first "culture shock" games that we got: the games we KNEW there was more out there but we felt helpless because there was no legitimate way to receive them all until over halfway through. I was upset but as time went on I grew to like the games. A lot of the plot was corny (much worse than the other games) but I liked the games nevertheless. If only there was some way to get all the hard earned Pokemon from RBYGSC in RS then I felt like people would have appreciated it more. The ones that left probably justified it also by that same reason. I know my brother justified not wanting Ruby for a long time because of that.

Created by Reimei.

Read it! You know you want to!

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I can't quite tell why,but I love Gen III.My first game was Firered.I was 4 yrs old and I beat Giovanni with a level 80 Charizard. X3

FRLG are just remakes.

The true "Gen III" is RSE, therefore liking the remakes doesn't mean you like Gen III.

This is my favorite generation with the second gen being close. I love this one because of the times I had with friends during recess and sleep overs. I had over 600+ hours logged in across R/S/E. Also, I felt they were harder than the other gens. Gens 1 and IV were too easy. Plus, Gen III easily had some of the coolest while also simplest designs out of the Pokemon. My only drawback about this generation was that they took away the time system. That was what made Gen II my favorite when it was around!

Gen III aslo had the Battle Frontier, something they messed around with in Crystal. The Battle Frontier was amazing!

EDIT: These games are like fine wine. They get better with age.
    White Team (WHITE FRIEND CODE: 4341-8446-1827)

currently training. Need to transfer HeartGold team for better results.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast